Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Still haven't even attempted a difficulty above normal. I'll wait for retail and a group of goons first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Tokubetsu posted:

Still haven't even attempted a difficulty above normal. I'll wait for retail and a group of goons first.

This is smart, you're much better off succeeding on normal with 3 tomes and 1-2 grimoires than failing over and over again on hard.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I've heard rumblings that the Dwarf has like a secret ability to his shield shove that causes what amounts to a taunt for rats hit? Is that true? He does seem like the tank class

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I've heard rumblings that the Dwarf has like a secret ability to his sheilf shove that causes what amounts to a taunt for rats hit? Is that true? He does seem like the tank class

All shoves work as a taunt, for all classes. It's just more effective for shield bearers because they hit so many more people, and can bash/block more.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I've heard rumblings that the Dwarf has like a secret ability to his shield shove that causes what amounts to a taunt for rats hit? Is that true? He does seem like the tank class

I don't think it's a secret ability so much as each class/character having some unique utility to them that they don't telegraph in the tool tips.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
I played on nightmare for the first time tonight and got dual drakefire pistols for the dwarf, which I didn't even know was a thing. It uses no ammo, instead relying on the same overcharge mechanic as the wizard. Left click is fireballs that can be rapidly fired a bunch of times before heating up, right click you charge a massive short range blast with both pistols drawn. It may be my new favorite weapon.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Tokubetsu posted:

I don't think it's a secret ability so much as each class/character having some unique utility to them that they don't telegraph in the tool tips.

What do the other classes get?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The dwarf or soldier with a shield+sword/axe/hammer combo is probably one of the best utilities a group can have. You can plop your rear end into a chokepoint and short of specials or multiple stormvermin, nothing will get past you. The finale on Tower of Magnus is a great exaple of that as you can just sit on the stairs up to the horn and hold most of the horde at bay while grinding them down. Meanwhile the rest of the team kills the ones that come from above and shoots/grenades specials and stormvermin. Turns into quite the mix of :magical: and :black101: when the little dwarf first stops 20+ onrushing clanrats and then proceedes to just push and chop his way down the stairs against the tide, leaving a carpet of dead rats in his wake. It's like something straight out of the LotR movies.

Magni fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 15, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Magni posted:

The dwarf or soldier with a shield+sword/axe/hammer combo is probably one of the best utilities a group can have. You can plop your rear end into a chokepoint and short of specials or multiple stormvermin, nothing will get past you. The finale on Tower of Magnus is a great exaple of that ase you can just sit on the stairs up to the horn and hold most of the horde at bay while grinding them down while the rest of the team kills the ones that come from above and shoots/grenades specials and stormvermin. Turns into quite the mix of :magical: and :black101: when the little dwarf first stops 20+ onrushing clanrats and then proceedes to just push and chop his way down the stairs against the tide, leaving a carpet of dead rats in his wake. It's like something straight out of the LotR movies.

Just got a grudgeraker with 90% chance to penetrate, can't wait to try it out in a similar situation.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Had a dorf held the stairs while I zweihander from above him.

It was Viking as gently caress!

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Trudis posted:

I played on nightmare for the first time tonight and got dual drakefire pistols for the dwarf, which I didn't even know was a thing. It uses no ammo, instead relying on the same overcharge mechanic as the wizard. Left click is fireballs that can be rapidly fired a bunch of times before heating up, right click you charge a massive short range blast with both pistols drawn. It may be my new favorite weapon.

:prepop: that sounds. Just amazing! I haven't tried anything harder than normal yet but drat if I don't desperately want to now.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Normal is way too easy. Hard is even too easy most of the time until you know where the grimoires are.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The loading screen tips say that shoving an enemy will aggro him, your shield bash shoves a lot of enemies. It's less of a secret ability but more of a general mechanic that is not explained outside of the loading screen and that the dwarf does best.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The soldier can equal him with the shield and sword combo. Suffers a bit against stormvermin, though.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Normal is way too easy. Hard is even too easy most of the time until you know where the grimoires are.

With a disorgansied pubbie group, I found normal + 3 tomes + 1-2 grimoires to be hitting a sweet spot.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Magni posted:

The soldier can equal him with the shield and sword combo. Suffers a bit against stormvermin, though.

That's what the Handgun is for!

Really, Sword & Shield + Handgun is an extremely effective combo.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Skandranon posted:

Just got a grudgeraker with 90% chance to penetrate, can't wait to try it out in a similar situation.

They should let you write grudges on your bullets in character customization if they don't already.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Trudis posted:

Holy poo poo. That certainly answers the question of 'are there items that change how a character plays'.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Played a Horn of Magnus, Tomes, 2 Grimoires run last night, and it was pretty fun. My loot dice rolled multiple snake-eyes though. Yay greens.

Hard mode seems doable even with fairly disorganized pubbies, but when you factor in a couple cursed loot dice and the grimoires, it gets pretty darn intense. The pace of the game has certainly improved over the closed press beta. Threatening fights are much more frequent now. Stormvermin are true terrors when they catch you in close quarters, and they have other specials to back them up.

If you want to carry teams to victory, and you have no loot yet, you could do much worse than sword and board dwarf. The amount of good you can do by knocking back and taunting rats can turn even the most ADD riddled team into a unit. Just follow the most addled member of your team and make them look like a superstar. Use your crossbow to take out the specials out of reach while your team gets lost in broom closet or whatever the gently caress pubbies do when you're not up their rear end keeping them alive.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Goddamn all the talk from people in the $2 beta is getting me hyped up something fierce. Preorder beta starts tomorrow, correct?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
At 8am EST.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I really like Stormvermin. It actually makes you learn their cool melee system and dodge system to do well. Of course most pubbies still treat this like L4D and just mash attack over and over no matter what they face but you get the few who you can see blocking, dodging, and aiming power strikes at the head and neck

The melee combat feels great too. Once you get blocking and dodging down there's a great flow to combat with even Slaverats. Anyone know if the beta will run off an installation of the full game or still the closed beta client?

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 15, 2015

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Is that about 14:00 Central Empire of Man Time?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Game is awesome, and definitely improved since earlier betas. I plan to play this quite a bit if we can get a regular group together.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I preordered the game and am looking forward to the open beta starting tomorrow. Steam did let me download the game but it was only a 250mb file and tells me an executable is missing when I try to play it. I'm guessing that's intentional.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Yeah, the public test is ~14gb right now. They just shut it down a few hours ago. Expect a large (~20gb) download when the full game is available for download tomorrow morning.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
My Steam if anyone wants to Goon group.

I'll be playing a lot more when I know I get to keep my loot (meaning after the 16th hopefully).

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Afaik they are not going to wipe the pre-order beta progress you make unless they enounter some kind of progression-beaking mega-bug or something.

We really need a goon TS or mumble channel to organise groups for this.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Magni posted:

Afaik they are not going to wipe the pre-order beta progress you make unless they enounter some kind of progression-beaking mega-bug or something.

We have 4 group channels on CTS. I should go add that to the OP.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone who ordered from Green Man Gaming gotten their key yet?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
pubbies are really bad

hurrr dude is down time to run to the other side of the map to fight a gatling gun because ???

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Magni posted:

The stream I was watching this afternoon showed an exploit on the Horn map where you could hang out on the horn itself during the final event and the rats have a hell of a time finding you.

As far as mumble, we've got the Camping The Stairs that I would reckon will be the go-to for goon organizing. We already have a steam group in the OP, join that.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

pubbies are really bad

hurrr dude is down time to run to the other side of the map to fight a gatling gun because ???

They really are, especially right now. Might change in the future but it never really does. Of chief importance is to be watching each others backs, you will all save a ton of health if you are keeping an eye out for sneaky rats coming up from behind or making sure someone doesn't get taken out by a special.

DeathSandwich posted:

The stream I was watching this afternoon showed an exploit on the Horn map where you could hang out on the horn itself during the final event and the rats have a hell of a time finding you.

As far as mumble, we've got the Camping The Stairs that I would reckon will be the go-to for goon organizing. We already have a steam group in the OP, join that.

There's an even better one. You can use a speed potion to jump back out of the arena entirely, so everyone can hide in the closet with the ammo box and the Witch Hunter / Waywatcher can machinegun everyone down while the dwarf just blocks with shield. Can even get on the elevator before the ceiling breaks if you're quick enough.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Skandranon posted:

They really are, especially right now. Might change in the future but it never really does. Of chief importance is to be watching each others backs, you will all save a ton of health if you are keeping an eye out for sneaky rats coming up from behind or making sure someone doesn't get taken out by a special.

yeah thats the most annoying thing of all. I'll be fighting a bunch of rats in one direction and then suddenly I'll find myself alone and surrounded since everyone else drifted off because there wasn't any rats in their immediate proximity.

e: the skaven put a pretty high priority on flanking around you, i've noticed. the l4d2 infected would kind of do that, but not in as such an indirect manner that ive seen some rats do. that and other factors make it harder to try to be a solo superstar; you could get away with that pretty well in lower l4d2 difficulty levels

also stormvermin have got some funny voices

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 16, 2015

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
My favorite is when pubbies rush to the guardhouse without checking any of the loot spawns. And then they all die because no one decided to pick up the three medkits you marked and pointed out in chat repeatedly. :v:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Tiler Kiwi posted:

also stormvermin have got some funny voices

They might be the biggest and meanest members of the species, but they're still <5 foot tall rats with squeaky voices. :v:

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Dezztroy posted:

My favorite is when pubbies rush to the guardhouse without checking any of the loot spawns. And then they all die because no one decided to pick up the three medkits you marked and pointed out in chat repeatedly. :v:

At which point they will blame you for lagging behind. This kind of thing happens in every map, but The Horn of Magnus is the absolute worst for this since the dock area at the start is always filthy with of health, potions, and bombs. Yet, 9 times out of 10 people will run right though without bothering pick up any of it.

President Ark posted:

They might be the biggest and meanest members of the species, but they're still <5 foot tall rats with squeaky voices. :v:

It's the Mike Tyson paradox.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Steam are big meanies not letting me preload past that first 200mb (whatever that was) until it unlocks later tonight! I just wanna kill rats dudes.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Beta has been delayed by 6 hours. It will also only be 3 maps, they haven't said if it will be the same 3 we had in the last beta or not.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Super hype to try this game. I keep clicking the play button and nothing happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
Have they stated the number of maps that will be available at release?

• Locked thread