Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
After a year+ of having management shut down plans to true up our licensing with Microsoft (all the while asking for more machines), we're getting audited by Microsoft!

I've got a nice long CYA email trail of proposals, so I'm just reveling in it. Hopefully Microsoft will put the fear of god into management and make them realize that you actually have to pay for things you use, even if they're not physical things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hey cool, I came in today to find a box of business cards with my name on them. Lotta firsts for me at this place. :shobon:

(I mean, I'm internal support so I will never have cause to give them to people but still.)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ratbert90 posted:

At least at my new fancy west Michigan job (suck it east Michigan :smug:) I am in charge of wrecking all of our old software as soon as possible.

Where you working son?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Thanks Ants posted:

Barco ClickShare

Wow, that is really cool.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

Where you working son?

Holland. 5 miles from the lake.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Inspector_666 posted:

Hey cool, I came in today to find a box of business cards with my name on them. Lotta firsts for me at this place. :shobon:

(I mean, I'm internal support so I will never have cause to give them to people but still.)
I got business cards at one job and gave them out to everyone I came anywhere near. People in their 20s should not be given business cards, it's too much excitement!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
The only time I wish I was given business cards is when there is one of those fish bowl raffle things. These days though at conventions they just scan your badge so they can spam you later.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I actively fought being given business cards, but failed. :(

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Only two answers? Cowards, the lot of you.

Once upon a time, I was in the Army. I was stoplossed, bitter about it, and almost out the door, so I was given a couple flunkies with the same attitude. We were an extremely productive team, mainly because I was competent and did the heavy lifting. If I needed help, I asked them, but if I was the best person to do it, I did it. When performance reviews were conducted, I was chastised for being a ineffective leader. At the time, I thought it was BS because the mission is what mattered, and in that respect I was a top performer.

Fast forward 8 years, I'm a junior engineer. I have almost no access to our infrastructure. Company was bought out, my manager flees, the company cuts the senior role, and I'm now filling my manager's shoes. Overnight I have double the workload, and I'm starting with no institutional knowledge because documentation and setting up limited access accounts was too much of a hassle for my manager. We survived, but the company would have been better off if I had been more involved in operations. The messes left when he departed? I could have been entrusted with knocking that stuff out long before he left. As much as I like the guy, I believe he squandered his talent while at our company. He largely fell into the same trap I did. I don't believe your job is to train your replacement, but I look at it this way: in January, your company has an employee worth 40k. With the right tasks and responsibilities, that employee could be grown into a 50k employee by December. A good manager could see these opportunities and take advantage of them. Short term loss, long term gain.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I got business cards at one job and gave them out to everyone I came anywhere near. People in their 20s should not be given business cards, it's too much excitement!
Yeah, the only time I was ever excited about being given business cards was in my early twenties at my first real tech job.

You don't want to give vendors your card ever because then you get on THE LIST. You don't want to be on that list.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I deal with a lot of vendors and members of management in my role and I haven't bothered to reorder business cards for like 2 years.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bhodi posted:

You don't want to give vendors your card ever because then you get on THE LIST. You don't want to be on that list.

Get the business cards of someone you hate, give those to the vendor.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Contingency posted:

I don't believe your job is to train your replacement
Sidebar that bears repeating: the same "only this person knows this thing" job security that keeps you from getting fired also keeps you from getting promoted.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

cremnob posted:

Update your LinkedIn everyone. Computer janitors are going extinct.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/15/ibm-mac-support/

The Apple and IBM Partnership is fascinating.

Jobs never particularly cared for enterprise computing and the company has generally targeted consumers. When Tim Cook came on-board he was faced with peculiar stagnant iPad Sales. They've won consumers over, everyone has an iPad and there is a need for frequent upgrades. Apple makes and needs to sell iPads.

The only thing left, enterprise computing but Apple doesn't make enterprise software. IBM does and IBM has been looking for a mobile strategy.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 23, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

Sidebar that bears repeating: the same "only this person knows this thing" job security that keeps you from getting fired also keeps you from getting promoted.

Yeah, one of the very first lessons I learned from the guy that mentored me when I first started out was "Never make yourself indispensable". Once you're indispensable, you've gone as far as your going to go and will never, ever be promoted.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bhodi posted:

If your company uses any sort of predictable formula for generating email addresses, you're already on the list anyway. I was at my new job like 3 days before sales people were blindly emailing me about random poo poo. I figure they looked up my employer on LinkedIn and just took an educated guess at what my email would be? It's certainly not published anywhere or linked to my LI account. But also trivial to figure out if you have my full name.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Zero VGS posted:

One time I called TigerDirect and the hold music was a live orchestra cover of Chrono Trigger, I was like what goon is working in their IT department?

Was it this? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009XTXLDM/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_pDpiwbS1NV8AH
(track 8)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Docjowles posted:

If your company uses any sort of predictable formula for generating email addresses, you're already on the list anyway. I was at my new job like 3 days before sales people were blindly emailing me about random poo poo. I figure they looked up my employer on LinkedIn and just took an educated guess at what my email would be? It's certainly not published anywhere or linked to my LI account. But also trivial to figure out if you have my full name.

I love getting emails where they pretend I subscribed to their lovely marketing list.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

And that's if you're lucky. If you aren't lucky, management catches on, and one day you get happen to get cc'd on email saying that the project to replace the thing that only you know about has reached its first operational milestone. Then you end up out of a job with no references you can count on and a skill set without commercial applicability.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is the date modified date on HELP_DECRYPT accurate? Because if so, some files on our nas have been encrypted for 7 months.

E: actually, judging by folder modification dates, it came upstream from a guy who I was helping download Office 2010. Kind of wondering if we got saved by the connection that took over 6 hours to download the 1gb office folder.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 16, 2015

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Thanks Ants posted:

Barco ClickShare

Does running the program require UAC elevation? I have a client that is wishing upon a star for one button AppleTV like behavior in a locked down Windows domain.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

As far as I know it doesn't. At least I don't remember it needing to run as an admin or any elevation.

Any of the resellers will be able to send you a demo unit for a couple of weeks before you buy anyway. I had it for a month when it launched.

You can also deploy the .MSI for the system in advance via the usual methods if you like.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
So we installed some print auditing software on our printer server to try and track how much printing we do as a company and see if we can reduce costs. I don't think any of us were prepared to see a staggering 100k pages being printed within the first 30 days. Coming from a job before that had to be completely paperless, this made me sad to see. :smith:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That's not that much depending on size of company and industry. What software are you using? I'm currently running an audit with the free Papercut Print Logger so we can identify what printers need to be changed out for a higher duty cycle model.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We're a seafood wholeseller, about 200 employees spread between two offices. We are using Papercut NG and it works pretty nicely. The environmental impact window on the dashboard can be depressing though

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
e: Wrong thread. Hi Boston poster

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hi other boston poster

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

For some reason I keep thinking I should get a work phone. We have a byod where they don't give any reimbursement or anything, or they'll give me a work phone. I don't really want to carry two phones around, but I also don't like not getting anything for using my own phone to be on call/answer work emails and whatnot.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

myron cope posted:

For some reason I keep thinking I should get a work phone. We have a byod where they don't give any reimbursement or anything, or they'll give me a work phone. I don't really want to carry two phones around, but I also don't like not getting anything for using my own phone to be on call/answer work emails and whatnot.

Sign up for Google Voice. Use that for your mobile contact number for work. I do that and it's fantastic. You can set up availability and screening and all sorts of stuff.

I tried the two phones thing and it sucks. I switched to BYOD years ago. Use Outlook for work and a different client for personal stuff. I did have to accept a policy to enforce passwords, but that's it. They have no visibility into my phone at all other than being able to remotely wipe it (which is no big deal since I can restore it pretty quickly and lose maybe a days worth of local data if that). I get reimbursed for about half my mobile phone bill each month. I do have to submit an expense report each month so that's a pain, but it's so worth it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How do you keep backups that recent? That's been my major problem with BYOD, I don't want to give them permission to wipe my stuff off there.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Use divide, touchdown, or nine so they can still wipe the part of the phone with company email. It also helps to keep work and personal separate on your phone.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

lampey posted:

Use divide, touchdown, or nine so they can still wipe the part of the phone with company email. It also helps to keep work and personal separate on your phone.

I've used Touchdown and Nine, and Nine is the much better option.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What do you find superior about Nine? I've always used Touchdown, but often if you never use the alternative, you never know what you're missing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

What do you find superior about Nine? I've always used Touchdown, but often if you never use the alternative, you never know what you're missing.

I think Nine is just much more polished. Touchdown gets the job done, but Nine is just easier to get around in I think.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you keep backups that recent? That's been my major problem with BYOD, I don't want to give them permission to wipe my stuff off there.

iPhone. It makes an icloud backup over wifi whenever it's charging.

And that policy is only an Active Sync policy. I delete the Exchange account settings and the policy goes away.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Aww man, on Friday a client of ours took me on a field trip to a new Cisco building to show off their telephony tech as we're planning on moving away from our VOIP provider and possibly to this client (B2B woo!).

The majority of their stuff is loving fantastic, giant LED monitors, tablets, massive video phones, software; but the king of the crop was the teleconference room which I can best describe as a cross between the starship enterprise and the SHIELD council room.

Of course I was with the director at the time who summed up his feelings as "I don't understand this, but I just want cheaper telephones", most likely we'll be sticking with our current phones and probably get some onsite server hardware if we go ahead with these guys.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The teleconference room is pretty loving sweet if you have a free six figures to dump into it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Was it this place?

http://newsroom.cisco.com/feature-content?type=webcontent&articleId=1709524

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
I believe the outlook app doesn't wipe your device, just the company email, contacts and calendar.