Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Numero6 posted:

Wow I didn't know he had to do far more, did he have to bail out of the contract of the WCW still paid him anyway?

They told him they had plans for him and then after the post Havoc Nitro they never booked him again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

MassRafTer posted:

They told him they had plans for him and then after the post Havoc Nitro they never booked him again.

Haha, classic WCW.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Numero6 posted:

Haha, classic WCW.

According to Death of WCW they wanted to have him lose to Hogan and not be forced to use him anymore, and Warrior agreed in exchange for an extra year of pay.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Great White Hope posted:

According to Death of WCW they wanted to have him lose to Hogan and not be forced to use him anymore, and Warrior agreed in exchange for an extra year of pay.

Honestly, this was a fair trade.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Warrior comes out of that smelling like roses, though. His contract wasn't exactly peanuts, and he gets 6 figures to do a job. If you're gonna be a knob and hold people up for money, do it big.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There aren't a ton of WCW shows left that I'm really excited for.

The January 4th Nitro is one, Starrcade 99 is another, but so many others have either:

A. Been done to death like New Blood Rising or the Russo/Bischoff reboot.

B. Are irredeemably bad.

Both still have their appeal, but tonight we're watching

HALLOWEEN HAVOC 98

It's a show that has extreme peaks and valleys. It's a show we've been building to for months. It's legendary:

MAIN EVENT
WCW WORLD TITLE MATCH
DIAMOND DALLAS PAGE VS GOLDBERG (C)

THE REMATCH OF THE CENTURY
THE WARRIOR VS HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN

US TITLE MATCH
STING VS BRET HART (C)

THE ULTIMATE GRUDGE MATCH
SCOTT HALL VS KEVIN NASH

IF RICK MESSES UP SCOTT'S FACE HE MUST ANSWER TO CHUCKY
RICK STEINER VS SCOTT STEINER

WCW CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE MATCH
DISCO INFERNO VS BILLY KIDMAN (C)

A MATCH THAT IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING ON PAY PER VIEW
PERRY SATURN VS LODI

EUROPEAN JERK VS EUROPEAN NICE GUY
ALEX WRIGHT VS FIT FINLAY

MEAN GUY MATCH
MENG VS WRATH

WCW TV TITLE MATCH
RAVEN VS CHRIS JERICHO (C)

TUNE IN TOMORROW NIGHT AT 8 PM FOR HALLOWEEN HAVOC! Hopefully there will be a preshow at 7:30 with the AWF.

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I like how they blow off the Steiner feud by making 2 matches on the PPV without any time to promote one of their most anticipated matches

and how Raven has completely gone off the rails on his character ever since Fall Brawl

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Reddit posted:

Back when Nitro was hot, WCW opened a restaurant called the Nitro Grille inside Excalibur resort in Las Vegas. I was lucky enough to attend the VIP grand opening. Nicest person I met all night was Sting. Talked to me and my friend for a good 30 mins casually at the bar. I was never a fan of him until that day. Much respect for Sting.

Side story, Mr Perfect curt hennig was super drunk and went all heel on me when I tried to introduce myself. He grabbed my hand and squeezed very tightly and pulled me close and asked if I had a loving problem. Then he proceeded to laugh his rear end off with Arn Anderson about how he just punked me.

What a dick.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I liked that part where the winner of the DDP vs. Goldberg match was 7 Days in Tibet.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I liked the part where the tried hard to push Scott Norton. I liked him kind of. What the hell was wrong with me?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I liked the part where the tried hard to push Scott Norton. I liked him kind of. What the hell was wrong with me?

Fire & Ice were a decent mid-card team

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Scott Norton was great because he was just so freakishly huge! He never got a real push though because he was a megastar in Japan and was never around. Boo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

He never got a real push though because he was a megastar in Japan and was never around. Boo.
I want to know how many scallion pancakes he can eat.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Scott Norton confused me as a child. He was the IWGP something or other Champion, and I remember him defending that belt on a PPV or something, but WCW never mentioned it, or made a big deal of it or anything.

So a world champion was relegated to being the huge barrell-chested bloke in the background goofing off with the other hundred un-named nWo black and white dudes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Scott Norton confused me as a child. He was the IWGP something or other Champion, and I remember him defending that belt on a PPV or something, but WCW never mentioned it, or made a big deal of it or anything.

So a world champion was relegated to being the huge barrell-chested bloke in the background goofing off with the other hundred un-named nWo black and white dudes.

Scott Norton confused me as a child because he had a belly like my grandpa, but had abs on that belly.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Scott Norton could have destroyed anyone in that company. It was only his mercy that allowed everyone to live.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Scott Norton could have destroyed anyone in that company. It was only his mercy that allowed everyone to live.

Did we ever get Flapjack Norton vs Meng?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Meng is a bitch, sorry to break it to you.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Now Haku, there's a man I wouldn't want to fight.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Apropos of nothing, another thing I've noticed watching Tuesday Nitro is that WCW had an bunch of generic big white guys who had long dark hair and wore black. Brian Adams, Scotty Riggs, Ed Leslie, Wrath...some were more talented than others, but I just remember a faceless procession of big guys who were lucky if they got a low-to-midcard push before jobbing to Nash or Mongo or whoever. It didn't help that the ever-expanding nWo also had a lot of big guys who fit this profile.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
Scott Norton was my favorite NWO guy and was legit mad when Scott Steiner gave him the low-blow in a US Title match. The low-blow is what gave a maskless Rey Mysterio a win over Norton during the giant killer storyline. Norton vs the Kat was great too.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I watched the 1999 WCW Mayhem and what was going on with the Harris Brothers? Even in suits they look like fat pieces of poo poo and I don't understand why they hired them when they had a roster full of intimidating big dudes. Also I didn't realize until now that Russo is on the broadcast, albeit off camera.

Also nice to see that the production truck never ceases to gently caress up entrances - Sting's music is queued to about 2 minutes in the track, as if they started it during Bret Hart's into. The main event was good though, it's weird watching old wrestling and seeing a top guy like Bret win but still sell for his opponent.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

1st AD posted:

I watched the 1999 WCW Mayhem and what was going on with the Harris Brothers? Even in suits they look like fat pieces of poo poo and I don't understand why they hired them when they had a roster full of intimidating big dudes. Also I didn't realize until now that Russo is on the broadcast, albeit off camera.

Also nice to see that the production truck never ceases to gently caress up entrances - Sting's music is queued to about 2 minutes in the track, as if they started it during Bret Hart's into. The main event was good though, it's weird watching old wrestling and seeing a top guy like Bret win but still sell for his opponent.

Russo and Jarrett are/were friends with the Harris Twins and they followed them everywhere for a while

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Harris Twins are also neo-Nazis complete with the tattoos. They're currently in charge of production in TNA.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The Harris Twins are also neo-Nazis complete with the tattoos. They're currently in charge of production in TNA.

Hahahaha. Sounds about right.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I think Ron Harris was Macho Man's promoter/manager for his rap career too

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

Also his body guard when he was afraid Hogan might shoot on him when he heard Hogan would be in Orlando at the same time he was doing a TNA PPV.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

oatgan posted:

I thought macho man's rap manager was just a figment of his imagination after a two week coke binge

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MassRafTer posted:

Also his body guard when he was afraid Hogan might shoot on him when he heard Hogan would be in Orlando at the same time he was doing a TNA PPV.

At what point in time could anyone possibly be afraid of being shot on by a post-WCW Hulk Hogan?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well Macho's body was also hosed up from wrestling, and Hogan had a lot of size on him.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

Even cutting up the suit, the actor who played in Robocop 3 has lasting back damage from it.

Wait, wasn't the TV show the one they cut it up for?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

RZApublican posted:

At what point in time could anyone possibly be afraid of being shot on by a post-WCW Hulk Hogan?

Macho Man was notoriously paranoid. Hell, he thought Bischoff brought Fit Finlay in to shoot on him in WCW.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
My favorite Hogan moment is when Shawn Michaels cartoonishly oversold for him to protest doing a clean job and not getting his win back

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Benne posted:

My favorite Hogan moment is when Shawn Michaels cartoonishly oversold for him to protest doing a clean job and not getting his win back

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Benne posted:

Do we know Hogan's reaction to this? Did he ever comment on it? Or on the way teh next night at RAW Shawn laughed off the loss entirely.

Coz I can legitimately see Hogan not noticing, and indeed thinking, "this kid is making me look like a million bucks. I can see him having a future in this business."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hehe.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Do we know Hogan's reaction to this? Did he ever comment on it? Or on the way teh next night at RAW Shawn laughed off the loss entirely.

Coz I can legitimately see Hogan not noticing, and indeed thinking, "this kid is making me look like a million bucks. I can see him having a future in this business."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0UZ1XgAmog

It's pretty standard Hogan

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

The best spot was when Shawn did his elbow drop from the top rope and Hogan rolled away. Instead of doing the standard "nobody home" selling, he twitched his body like he had a seizure.

That match was amazing because Shawn was openly making GBS threads on it, and you can't tell if Hogan is in on the joke or not.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

No Luck Needed posted:

Norton vs the Kat was great too.

I loved that for how it showed that the nWo B-team was content with just chilling out in the back. Like, if Miller hadn't called Norton out he would have just sat there all night, watching TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Apparently the story goes that Shawn was unhappy with the match because he had to turn heel and was enjoying his face run, and he didn't want to do a clean job unless he got his win back. Hogan reportedly promised that deal, but then went and hosed off again, like Hogan does. So Shawn just said "gently caress it" and made it a comedy match by himself.