Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Prison Warden posted:

Given the history of the comic, it's more that Magneto was right and it's a mostly post homo sapiens world now.

Magneto's been right for like the last 30 years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I bought the first print volume today!

I looooove the cover design. I really like in general how Viz's Jump imprint has moved away from the more formulaic cover layout they used for every series like years ago.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Thanks, Horikoshi.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Prison Warden posted:

One of my favourite things about western comics is how balls out crazy the setting is with different things in it. One Punch Man does this pretty well, I think, (even though most heroes have the same origins for their power), so yeah I could see a guy like Horikoshi pulling off, Id dunno, Evil Alternate Universe or Alien Invasion arcs. They'd both be a cool way of setting up a "rival school" once the immediate crisis is resolved.

I really hope they don't go the ridiculous American superhero comic route and start including galactic demi-gods and poo poo. It's sometimes bad in an entertaining way, but it's still bad; partly because there's no way for the characters to deal with something that powerful without unrealistically (within the setting) "powering up." No idea why anyone would actually desire My Hero Academia to change its current setting into something like that.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm trying to introduce this series to a friend. Can I tell them this is sort of like a Japanese X-Men series?

No, Area D is Japanese X-Men

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Prison Warden posted:

One of my favourite things about western comics is how balls out crazy the setting is with different things in it. One Punch Man does this pretty well, I think, (even though most heroes have the same origins for their power), so yeah I could see a guy like Horikoshi pulling off, Id dunno, Evil Alternate Universe or Alien Invasion arcs. They'd both be a cool way of setting up a "rival school" once the immediate crisis is resolved.

There's more than one school in japan or even the world UA is just the best in japan no need for dimensional shenanigans for a rival school.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Fabricated posted:

Say that it's basically a far less bleak X-men, where 80-90% of the population expressed the X-gene instead of like 1%.

Are there any other super-verses where everyone got powered instead of a select few? the only one I can think is that Alan Moore supercops one.

/edit the woman on the cover flap... is that Midnight?

/edit loving hell deku your costume is FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS

Jintor fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 16, 2015

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Jintor posted:

Are there any other super-verses where everyone got powered instead of a select few? the only one I can think is that Alan Moore supercops one.

/edit the woman on the cover flap... is that Midnight?

/edit loving hell deku your costume is FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS

I think that's Todoroki's elder sister, not Midnight. Midnight's hair is black, for one thing.

Also, it's under 400 USD. 100 yen is 85 cents right now, so that 40,400 yen figure becomes somewhere around $380.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

doh 10,000y is 100. brainfart

Did Todokori's sis ever get a color page before?

/edit just had a quick look, you're right! she's got the weird streaks in her hair.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Chinese spoilers are out; I'm tired and going to work in a bit so I don't have a link.

All Might no-sells the explosion outside of being pushed back a bit, but he coughs up a bit of blood. Momo looks utterly despondent the entire fight but proves again why she's the smartest person in the class; she can apparently make pretty complex objects- she pops out all these russian nesting dolls as her "small objects", Aizawa ambushes them and easily ties up Todoroki who is utterly worthless without his powers. Turns out though, Momo's dolls are filled with flashbangs which work to great effect and seem to impress Aizawa.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 16, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://bato.to/read/_/350400/boku-no-hero-academia_ch63_by_fallen-angels

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Well then. Does Aizawa's quirk work when he's blinded? Guess we'll find out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So, if those flashbangs had been regular grenades instead, wouldn't she have just totally killed/defeated Aizawa? Or at least something causing direct damage, since it seems like he wasn't able to avoid them.

Also, it seems like Todoroki could just use ice to either guard his feet or cover the ground in order to avoid the caltrops.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Todoroki voted Momo for class president :blush:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like how mental All Might looks in that one panel.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Aizawa with prep time is a beast, surprising no one. I'd imagine he probably has a contingency plan in case of blindness.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's called kicking rear end.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Bad Seafood posted:

Aizawa with prep time is a beast, surprising no one. I'd imagine he probably has a contingency plan in case of blindness.
Yeah I love how good this practical examination is. Having a bunch of kids who are still working on theory fighting professionals who have hardened their skills in the field should accelerate their growth immensely.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Bad Seafood posted:

This probably isn't the first time someone's tried to mess with his eyes. I'm sure he has the Blind Fighting feat.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So, weird question: anyone know what the Japanese fans thought of the results of the US popularity poll?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Probably "Why do the roundeyes like the badguys so much?" and "lol Americans really like monstergirls"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

We didn't have anything interesting to say about their results so I doubt they'd have much to say about ours.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
When I read the title of this chapter, I was expecting Yaoyorozu to make a sword and Zandatsu Aizawa.

Maybe that's her ace in the hole.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda expected her to eventually be able to do stuff like the Iron Blood Alchemist from Full Metal Alchemist.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Interesting that Aizawa's power can't cancel things Momo's already made.

Todoroki's instructions in hindsight were hilariously shortsighted.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fabricated posted:

I kinda expected her to eventually be able to do stuff like the Iron Blood Alchemist from Full Metal Alchemist.

She already made a cannon in the race. Only problem is bigger stuff takes longer to make.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

The Sandman posted:

So, weird question: anyone know what the Japanese fans thought of the results of the US popularity poll?

"Some of these side characters ranked higher than the main characters? Is that even allowed?"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope Momo realizes now how ridiculously overpowered she is and regains her confidence.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

RatHat posted:

She already made a cannon in the race. Only problem is bigger stuff takes longer to make.
She made one in parts, I'm thinking more like turning her whole body into a mortar emplacement like he does with the sage stone.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
RISING!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bad Seafood posted:

I think it's a little more subtle. I figured the key is that her creation power isn't blocked when the thing she's creating isn't visible to Aizawa's power. That's the only rationale I have for matryoshka flashbangs.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bad Seafood posted:

Once she makes them they're just regular objects, not active powers. To Star Trek it, she isn't holodecking things, she's replicating them. Aizawa's power can't change the nature of something, only stop you from changing the nature of things. Which is why he can't cancel passive quirks. A giant super strong rock man is just always a giant super strong rock man, his quirk isn't turning a normal human into a giant super strong rock man it is always being a giant super strong rock man. Aizawa's quirk simply prevents other quirks from activating, so a guy can't create ice while Aizawa is looking at him but at the same time Aizawa can't make already created ice disappear by looking at it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Not surprising really. She's creating standalone objects not conjuring them magically. I'd always just assumed that she disposes of them afterwards or maybe just re-integrates them into her body.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

chumbler posted:

I hope Momo realizes now how ridiculously overpowered she is and regains her confidence.

She's essentially a Green Lantern, only as strong as she is creative. Which makes her hero name kind of perfect.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
I like that Momo's dolls are painted with her outfit :3:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

I like that Momo's dolls are painted with her outfit :3:

She learned the importance of branding during her internship.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Not surprising really. She's creating standalone objects not conjuring them magically. I'd always just assumed that she disposes of them afterwards or maybe just re-integrates them into her body.
Yeah, I'm commenting less out of surprise and more out of acknowledgment.

I've previously wondered how "Permanent" the objects Momo creates are, so this goes some ways towards answering that question.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gyges posted:

Once she makes them they're just regular objects, not active powers. To Star Trek it, she isn't holodecking things, she's replicating them. Aizawa's power can't change the nature of something, only stop you from changing the nature of things. Which is why he can't cancel passive quirks. A giant super strong rock man is just always a giant super strong rock man, his quirk isn't turning a normal human into a giant super strong rock man it is always being a giant super strong rock man. Aizawa's quirk simply prevents other quirks from activating, so a guy can't create ice while Aizawa is looking at him but at the same time Aizawa can't make already created ice disappear by looking at it.

For example he wouldn't be able to do anything against Tsuyu since her abilities are passive, or tail-boy. I think those are the only ones in class A that have passive quirks? Possibly earphone jacks girl and invisible girl.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

RatHat posted:

For example he wouldn't be able to do anything against Tsuyu since her abilities are passive, or tail-boy. I think those are the only ones in class A that have passive quirks? Possibly earphone jacks girl and invisible girl.

weird tentacle guy is also a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I was listened to last week's Shonen Jump Podcast and they talked a little about Invisible Girl and the question of whether she'd become visible or not if Aizawa turned off her Quirk.

It's hard to say for sure. It doesn't work on quirks that change your physical body, but we haven't seen Hagakure turn her invisibility off so I don't know if cancellation would work or not. If she does have the power to turn it off, is she just being a dick and staying invisible 24/7 to mess with people? And if it's not toggle on/off-able, what's the catch? "You're invisible forever now" is kind of a lovely quirk.