Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

malhavok posted:

So that blog they posted today says "overcoming challenges in the jungle to unlock your elite specialization", which sorta implies hero points won't be the only way to unlock them right?

Challenges could also be 'more than one hero point'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

malhavok posted:

So that blog they posted today says "overcoming challenges in the jungle to unlock your elite specialization", which sorta implies hero points won't be the only way to unlock them right?

Reminder: the things which yield hero points are called Hero Challenges.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Stop crushing my dreams damnit.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You probably need to do a Thing to unlock the specialization and then use hero points to fill in the actual traits and skills.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dorkopotamis posted:

I played world of warcraft for six months at release and then close to a year after the second or third (the one with death knights) expansion and I don't think any of the launch dungeons had changed from launch. I don't think that that's good, it just might be the precedent.

Scarlet Monastary got revamped in Wrath (the one with the death knights) at launch, and a few of the giant maze dungeons with questlines that required you to complete the thing multiple times got revamped when the dungeon queue system got introduced in the same expansion. Nax the old vanilla raid also got revamped for the expansion/retuned to the new max level.
They did most of the reviewing/updating old content the expansion after you stopped playing though. Funny enough with the exception of "dude this is a confusing maze meant to be only partially done per run" wing seperated dungeons they left the maps mostly untouched just redid the encounters, so there was still a big difference in how much of a slog older stuff was compared to new.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

LonelyKing posted:

Wait, so does this mean it will reflect back to the warrior (sucks and is terrible) or back onto the target the burst originated from (hilarious and awesome)?

he means warriors are generally dumb and will kill themselves

it's just like the old times when warriors ran killshot and everyone just reflected the shots to create own goals

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm glad the Halloween event is at the same time as HoT launch so we'll have something to do while waiting for ANet to bugfix the new content.

Or they'll prove me wrong and an MMO will have a successful expansion launch for once!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
A lot more WoW dungeons were given a full or partial revamp.

Cataclysm redid Shadowfang Keep and Deadmines and made the Stormwind Stockade into a proper dungeon. The Zul'Aman and Zul'Gurub raids were repurposed into 5-man dungeons.

Mists of Pandaria redid Scarlet Monastery (converting 4 wings into 2), Ragefire Chasm, and Scholomance.

Warlords of Draenor redid Blackrock Spire, Razorfen Kraul, Razorfen Downs, and Blackfathom Deeps.

I wish Arenanet was willing to give dungeons another pass instead of just burying them. :sigh:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

They were probably turned off of the concept when the dungeon team revealed the overhauled AC and there was an incredible pissy uproar from their forums. iirc that's the reason AC gives better cash rewards than the other non-Arah dungeons, they were bribing players back into it.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
I don't get all of the WoW comparisons. The Naxx raid got the earliest revamp (which was really just a level adjustment) two years after it was released only because they sunk a lot of effort into the raid and it was made irrelevant six months after it was released. The earliest dungeon revamps came six years after release in Cataclysm as a part of revamping the early level experience.

GW2's dungeons have seen a lot of play over the last three years. They're de-incentivising them for now. No, this does not mean they're burying them forever. ArenaNet only has so much dev time to focus on different projects, and dungeons didn't make the cut. Their idea is likely to re-focus us on other content while they figure out what to do with dungeons (e.g. revamp them into fractals).

Why? Because dungeons as they exist in current GW2 are not healthy for new players. Nobody runs the content as-is; we find ways to glitch them and break them over our knees to min/max our liquid currency gain. They don't want new players hitting 80 with starry eyes to find out that the most efficient way to acquire currency is to do this one broken thing ad infinitum. At least Fractals, to my understanding, are a little better in that regard and taken more as whole content.

I personally enjoy the breaking/glitching/minmaxing of dungeons and also don't like that they're getting nerfed, but I can at least see why they did it.

Zagposting fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 15, 2015

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Riftling posted:

Nobody runs the content as-is; we find ways to glitch them and break them over our knees to min/max our liquid currency gain.

This is different in fractals/raids?

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

jabro posted:

I'm coming back to this game to see how everything has changed. Last I've played is before whatever the hell has happened to Lion's Arch. I logged in and a bunch of screens jumped up saying this and that has changed which confused the hell out of me for my character. My highest is only level 55 so thought I just would start over to gradually learn everything new. So question: I want to shoot things with a rifle. Seems Warriors aren't too handy with the steel if you know what I mean, are there any other classes that can use rifles effectively that isn't an Engineer? If Engineer is the only class are they fun to play?

Would you mind if I joined starting over with you? I want to give this game another spin since the expansion is coming up soon and I hear Engineer's had quite a lot of changes...Could someone go over them for me and maybe other changes to other classes I might give a spin even though Engineer is likely to be my 'main'.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I only run dungeons cause others need help or want to learn them these days. I can't imagine running the same 12 every godamn day, so I wonder what those people are going to do.

factoring in the delay the expac launches in 38 days 8 hours 53 minutes 54 seconds

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

They were probably turned off of the concept when the dungeon team revealed the overhauled AC and there was an incredible pissy uproar from their forums. iirc that's the reason AC gives better cash rewards than the other non-Arah dungeons, they were bribing players back into it.

I think there was a uproar at the time because 1 or 2 of the redesigned paths would consistently bug out and you'd have to restart at the final boss, the ghost buster parody fight at the end would bug out with the NPC not doing anything almost every run.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Krakatoah posted:

Would you mind if I joined starting over with you? I want to give this game another spin since the expansion is coming up soon and I hear Engineer's had quite a lot of changes...Could someone go over them for me and maybe other changes to other classes I might give a spin even though Engineer is likely to be my 'main'.

There have been so many changes, both large overhauls and minor tweaks, that you're better off just approaching the class as if you've never heard of it before than trying to compare it to what you played before.
Obviously the core class is the same, but if you stopped playing before any of the major trait overhauls, that alone will be a lot to explain.

Or you could give us a more specific time period and we'll try to catch you up to what's changed since then.
/r/GuildWars2 has a useful wiki page for returning players, too: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/wiki/returningplayers

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Riftling posted:

I don't get all of the WoW comparisons. The Naxx raid got the earliest revamp (which was really just a level adjustment) two years after it was released only because they sunk a lot of effort into the raid and it was made irrelevant six months after it was released. The earliest dungeon revamps came six years after release in Cataclysm as a part of revamping the early level experience.

The naxx revamp was much more than just making numbers bigger, remember it also had to be adjusted for the new raid sizes, so had to have some fights rebalanced around the different number of tanks. Plus even during wrath (again tail end of it) they'd already begun revamping the dungeons that no longer fit their design and play philosophy.

What's far more likely with Anet is as folks said, they don't have staff invested in it, and the playerbase isn't clamouring for it, so why put in the significant resources behind it, especially when they don't have subscribers and with the whole level scaling thing don't quite run into the problem of "Yeah, but we gotta have SOMETHING for folks to do in <lvl range>"

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
It's going to be amazing when they "hit the switch" and HoT is buggy as gently caress/doesn't work and we have to go through about a dozen day-1 patches.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
I hope so since I'm still on vacation on day 1, none of you should get to play until I get home on day 2.

Edit: if anyone finds a new mangogeddon involving clever use of game mechanics, please post in this thread tia.

UchihaHirou fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 16, 2015

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

Lonk posted:

It's going to be amazing when they "hit the switch" and HoT is buggy as gently caress/doesn't work and we have to go through about a dozen day-1 patches.

I'm betting this happens and then when its fixed people will be super disappointed in the "amount" of content. I just hope its a smooth weekend at least or they will get torn apart by gaming journalists.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

J3ng4 posted:

I'm betting this happens and then when its fixed people will be super disappointed in the "amount" of content. I just hope its a smooth weekend at least or they will get torn apart by gaming journalists.

A fate worse than death for sure.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
I havent played since March of 2014, worth me re installing? I joined right when fractals dropped and didnt do much of that

edit-downloading now anyways, I always loved what ANet did for the game, I just stepped away because of lack of end game content ect

Looking forward to play with you guys, hows the game popularity? I am super stoked to see whats going on :D Looks like ill be re rolling on maguuma so I have guys to paly with

all apologies fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 16, 2015

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Krakatoah posted:

Sure can, but I usually play at night after 8PM PST. If you're on during that time I'd love to team up. My account name ingame and in SFD are the same as here.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

J3ng4 posted:

Do people actually read that? I thought it was just like Fox News/msnbc/CNBC where you turned it on to hear things that reaffirmed your world view.

I don't expect a perfect launch. There's too many moving parts and too many ways for people to break things. I really don't expect the world to end and the servers to burn to the ground. So as long as that doesn't happen and the game is (mostly) playable rig away, it's successful enough for me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UchihaHirou posted:

I hope so since I'm still on vacation on day 1, none of you should get to play until I get home on day 2.

Edit: if anyone finds a new mangogeddon involving clever use of game mechanics, please post in this thread tia.

I don't get home until day 3 so you can't play until I can

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Generic Octopus posted:

This is different in fractals/raids?

Yes, because if you fractal you'll understand that there's gently caress all currency gain in there :v:

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

If you don't plan on making your own ascended/legendary gear you can safely steer clear of crafting altogether. There are some account bound crafting backpacks you can make that have some ok skins that you can't buy but that isn't compelling enough to level up a crafting discipline unless you REALLY like them.
That said, levelling one profession to 400 costs as much as you earn in 1 to 3 silverwastes depending on your magic find and personal luck and the profession you want to level. Its not hard.

400 to 500, well, maybe a few more wastes. Still, the wastes will give you a lot of the mats that you need for 400-500.

See http://gw2crafts.net/

Nektu fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 16, 2015

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

How are people making so much money in silverwastes again? The loot bags from events?

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
Loot bags from events, ectos and other mats from the boatload of rares you'll get from farming breach/vw/maze chest.

You can also just chest farm if you're having a day where you feel like some self loathing is needed too, I guess.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

vinewrath isn't guaranteed to drop anything that's super amazing but the entire event chain is guaranteed to drop a shitload of stuff that adds up to a decent amount of gold if you're smart about your salvaging/whatever.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol, people still dumb enough to click on anything dreggon posts here.

Expansion a week away, looking forward to all the bugs and poo poo breaking.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Asura butt is like goatse. There is no anger when I see it, just a warmth from seeing an old friend.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Dreggon is one of the greatest parts of this thread/forum and I will knife whoever disagrees

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dreggon is one of the greatest parts of this thread/forum and I will knife whoever disagrees
seeing a dreggon or cletus post makes me feel kinda warm and fuzzy inside every time :unsmith:

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

hi hello I've got a question!

My friends convinced me to check out this game again with the addon around the corner and all that. We're all going to start out with new characters and I have a hard time deciding what to roll. Top choice right now is Revenant because I enjoy playing the supporting roles and from what I could gather he seems to be more or less a jack-of-all-trades.
My concrete question is what's the classes drawbacks? I managed to hit max level but stopped playing shortly after, so my memory of important gameplay mechanics is kinda fuzzy. Which important things is the Revenant NOT covering in a group setup? (And what do we want to have covered when running dungeons together? I take it there's still a Guardian-quasi-heals-and-tanks-meta.)

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!

Alteisen posted:

Welcome to well known comedy site Something Slawful dot com

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Wooze posted:

My friends convinced me to check out this game again with the addon around the corner and all that. We're all going to start out with new characters and I have a hard time deciding what to roll. Top choice right now is Revenant because I enjoy playing the supporting roles and from what I could gather he seems to be more or less a jack-of-all-trades.
My concrete question is what's the classes drawbacks? I managed to hit max level but stopped playing shortly after, so my memory of important gameplay mechanics is kinda fuzzy. Which important things is the Revenant NOT covering in a group setup? (And what do we want to have covered when running dungeons together? I take it there's still a Guardian-quasi-heals-and-tanks-meta.)

so the revenant acts essentially as a jack of all trades (e: you specifically mention this lol), except perhaps for condi (i have not checked their condi viability but i don't think it's very good) however as a drawback you are limited in which roles you can fulfill at any given time

if you want to heal for your group you'd want ventari, if you want to tank you want jalis, condi mallyx, direct damage shiro, group support glint. it's pretty good at all of those, but you can only pick two at a time

whatever your revenant doesn't cover is what you've chosen to sacrifice in exchange for providing other things, like giving up ventari's healing so you can tank or whatever

for dungeons you want some defensive support (guardian is great for this with walls and aegis and poo poo), offensive support (phalanx warrior for might stacking if you're lazy like me) and damage (i personally like elementalists). revenant provides a group with permanent fury uptime with glint, so if you're running a rev in a dungeon, that's your job. your second legend is shiro if you're selfish or someone else is covering defenses, jalis if you're fighting enemies that have a lot of stuns/knockbacks (you get a pulsing stability AoE), ventari if there's lots of projectiles bumping around (your tablet can block them) and possibly mallyx if there's serious condis flying around and your group needs resistance

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 16, 2015

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Wooze posted:

Revenant isn't going to be available until Heart of Thorns actually comes out next week so you're going to have to wait if you want to play it. You also need to have bought the expansion (or bought Guild Wars 2 after they rolled the expansion into the purchase price) to be able to create one. Revenants are generally weak to conditions and have poor access to stability. They're very good at giving boons out with the elite specialisation Herald but that's only available at 80 and we don't actually know what's involved in getting access to the elite specs other than level 80 and own Heart of Thorns.

While levelling you're going to be largely stuck with Shiro stance (direct damage but glass cannon, no condition removal, no stability), Mallyx stance (condition hybrid damage, can become resistant to all condition damage, condi clearing heal, no stability or stunbreaker) and Jalis (tanky, condi cleanse heal, stability and stunbreaker, damage reduction, low damage). There's another stance available, Ventari, which is mainly based around healing/condition removal/projectile destruction and relies entirely on weapon skills to do damage.

The current meta is still 'kill it before it kills you' so everyone gears for balls to the wall damage with supporting traits and abilities that increase damage done.

DarkNecrid
Sep 23, 2013
Well, poor access to giving other people stability. With the Retribution + Herald lines a Rev can give themselves 2 stacks of Stab every time they dodge and get an increase their endurance regeneration and have a chance to gain Endurance when hit which lets them spam lots of stability.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

GW2's dungeons are used for autistic moneymaking and nothing else. So any changes will not be appreciated by the 'fun loving' community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
One of the things I like about them nerfing the dungeon gold rate is that I dont do dungeons, so basically im poor. And people who do it, are rich. They can convert gold to gems and enjoy the pleasures of life. I cannot, because I wvw. So now they're being knocked down a peg we can all be poor and that makes me happy. Because a lot of items on the trading post are very expensive, due to inflation, due to things like people farming dungeons. This is basically Bernie Sanders waving a big old paw at the naughty dungeon farmers and helping me afford items on a wvw salary. Hopefully the rewards for fractals are not too good.

• Locked thread