Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nick Soapdish posted:

Don't know about the program but, good luck living in Scott Walker's Wisconsin.

I have for the last three years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

I have for the last three years.

Good luck living in Scott Walker's Wisconsin.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Schlabbalabba posted:

I am the smug douchebag one to the left of that... Pedostache was gone upon entering sixth fleet

Your dolphins are crooked.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Doing a virtual bet, whats the worst food in the general mess while you were at sea.

I have 1 Navy which claims hydrogenated milk KD is the worst
1 guy who claims at-sea Lobster is horrible (WTF?)
1 guy who claims its Taco Tuesday (how do you not like tacos...).

Any others? this is 50 bux bet.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Hal_2005 posted:

Doing a virtual bet, whats the worst food in the general mess while you were at sea.

We accidentally got goat milk once.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Hal_2005 posted:

A tray of beets. Every night for midrats. Just beets.

I got so loving tired of this tray of beets that I just scooped it into my tray and dropped it in the trash.

That or the horse cock sausages they were so fond of making.

Edit : from those choices it's the lobster due to the impending announcement.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 18, 2015

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Hal_2005 posted:

Taco Tuesday by far.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
My personal favorite was the "corned beef" they served around St. Patrick's Day, which was a tray of plain ground beef and corn.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Found a new sailor standing in his blues in the cold at the airport tonight looking puppy dog lost. Good to know that the sponsorship program is still as hosed up as it ever was

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Boon posted:

Found a new sailor standing in his blues in the cold at the airport tonight looking puppy dog lost. Good to know that the sponsorship program is still as hosed up as it ever was

Good, Let him figure out how an address works. The expectation of mind blowing levels of hand holding are too drat high.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Jimb posted:

Good, Let him figure out how an address works. The expectation of mind blowing levels of hand holding are too drat high.

Yeah, unless this was overseas where he can't communicate to locals in English, the expectation that there be someone from his unit standing at the airport waiting on him is silly as gently caress.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Oh I don't know. It's pretty ridiculous to fly an 18 year old to a city he's never been and expect that he should pay up front for a cab to blindly take him to the largest naval base in the world to figure out which big grey thing is his big grey thing in a literal fleet of big grey things and on what pier at 2 in the morning. Then probably not get reimbursed because he doesn't know to keep the receipt or forgot it in the whole overload experience. Also, hopefully the cabbie took him to the right base, in an area with multiple bases that have big grey things like it's the Amazing Race.

I think the easier expectation is that the sponsor does their loving job

Boon fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 18, 2015

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Boon posted:

Oh I don't know. It's pretty ridiculous to fly an 18 year old to a city he's never been and expect that he should pay up front for a cab to blindly take him to the largest naval base in the world to figure out which big grey thing is his big grey thing in a literal fleet of big grey things and on what pier at 2 in the morning. Then probably not get reimbursed because he doesn't know to keep the receipt or forgot it in the whole overload experience. Also, hopefully the cabbie took him to the right base, in an area with multiple bases that have big grey things like it's the Amazing Race.

I think the easier expectation is that the sponsor does their loving job

This.

The couple of stupid poo poo-posts above are exactly why people get out at the earliest opportunity. Just because your experience sucked and you got treated like poo poo doesn't mean everybody else's should, too. Be part of the solution not the problem.

I showed up to my first duty station in Japan and nobody met me at the airport. I had to get from Narita (near Tokyo) about an hour and a half south at 10 o'clock at night in January with 2 duffel bags full of my worldly possessions. I did it, but it loving sucked and was not a great first impression. When I did finally get to the base and find my ship at almost 2AM, they had absolutely no idea who I was or that I was even coming.

Because of that one experience, I have been very active in all of my commands' sponsorship programs since then. Even if it's only 1 person at a time, I make sure people's experiences were not like mine.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 18, 2015

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

buttplug posted:

This.

The couple of stupid poo poo-posts above are exactly why people get out at the earliest opportunity. Just because your experience sucked and you got treated like poo poo doesn't mean everybody else's should, too. Be part of the solution not the problem.

I showed up to my first duty station in Japan and nobody met me at the airport. I had to get from Narita (near Tokyo) about an hour and a half south at 10 o'clock at night in January with 2 duffel bags full of my worldly possessions. I did it, but it loving sucked and was not a great first impression. When I did finally get to the base and find my ship at almost 2AM, they had absolutely no idea who I was or that I was even coming.

Because of that one experience, I have been very active in all of my commands' sponsorship programs since then. Even if it's only 1 person at a time, I make sure people's experiences were not like mine.

Be my sponsor, you beautiful person.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Anita Dickinme posted:

Be my sponsor, you beautiful person.

Too bad this doesn't seem to happen at the reserve level.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Yeah, I touched down at like 1 in the morning in Bahrain with no one to meet me, no one to call, and no way to pull out cash because all of the exchanges were closed, and my debit card didn't work in the ATMs. Thank God some other random squid had arrived right after me and I was able to bum a ride from their sponsor to the base. 11 years later and I still vividly remember that experience. I get pretty loving mad if I find out a division/department isn't prepared for a guy to show up.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, I touched down at like 1 in the morning in Bahrain with no one to meet me, no one to call, and no way to pull out cash because all of the exchanges were closed, and my debit card didn't work in the ATMs. Thank God some other random squid had arrived right after me and I was able to bum a ride from their sponsor to the base. 11 years later and I still vividly remember that experience. I get pretty loving mad if I find out a division/department isn't prepared for a guy to show up.

This too.

This isn't about coddling people or hand-holding, this is about someone's first impression of your command and in many cases, their first impression of the Navy. Picking somebody up at the airport or *at least* making sure someone contacts them before they arrive to provide them with directions/phone numbers/quarterdeck number/lodging info - something, anything - is not loving hard. This is a really, really small thing that is very easy to get right and yet many commands (if not most manage gently caress it up pretty consistently.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Going to a command without a sponsor program was a huge pain in the rear end. It was even worse when you call ahead and get told "We don't do that, call us when you get here for a pickup".

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Did no one watch that first 48 video

Edit: first 72

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exzhFo50f8A

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 18, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Did no one watch that first 48 video

That video was retarded and a bit over the top but yea not having a sponsor blows major rear end. (I would have asked where the kid was supposed to go and called his CMC)

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sounds like the story this old guy at work tells everyone of his first ship after A school, they were underway. They rounded him and this other guy, a second class, and flew them to the boat. Old dude had no idea what to do and everyone ran off to their shops. He roamed the boat for several days, eating chow whenever he wanted and sleeping in whatever rack he could find. At the end of the days, the second class he flew in with catches him by the smoke pit and puts 2 and 2 together, walks him over to a PS that was wondering where the old guy was for the past couple of days.

Jfc, your stories are horrifying.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

orange juche posted:

That video was retarded and a bit over the top but yea not having a sponsor blows major rear end. (I would have asked where the kid was supposed to go and called his CMC)

Yeah, I saw him standing there in the cold. so I just paid for the cab to my place, jumped in my car, and took him to the quarterdeck and told the kid to remember how he feels about this when he's a sponsor. Hopefully the CDO isn't an idiot.

Two months.

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 19, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I mean now, having been in the navy longer than breakfast I can find ways to get poo poo done when I am showing up to a new command, it's nice to have a sponsor, but I can google the quarterdeck's number, and I've usually contacted the sponsor coordinator as well as people in my shop before I show up, but I remember showing up to the boat for the first time and not knowing what the gently caress for the first week or two, so I sympathize with poor lost dudes at the airport.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Pandasmores posted:

Sounds like the story this old guy at work tells everyone of his first ship after A school, they were underway. They rounded him and this other guy, a second class, and flew them to the boat. Old dude had no idea what to do and everyone ran off to their shops. He roamed the boat for several days, eating chow whenever he wanted and sleeping in whatever rack he could find. At the end of the days, the second class he flew in with catches him by the smoke pit and puts 2 and 2 together, walks him over to a PS that was wondering where the old guy was for the past couple of days.

Recently read an article about a guy who did this during Vietnam on an Army base. For about a year. Kept picking up his paychecks, got a promotion, never even finished in processing, but nobody kept any real oversight so it just didn't get noticed for months.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there someone ITT aboard the Reagan/in Japan that wouldn't mind telling me about life and stuff? I'm full of dumb questions.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Anita Dickinme posted:

Is there someone ITT aboard the Reagan/in Japan that wouldn't mind telling me about life and stuff? I'm full of dumb questions.

Not on Reagan, but in Yoko. Ask away.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Hal_2005 posted:

jambalaya. the cooks made it so bad the captain banned it.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Anita Dickinme posted:

I spent 2 years in Japan. What's up?

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

Anita Dickinme posted:

Currently on the reagan, but not ship's company thankfully, ask away.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I'm not surprised someone thinks the idea of sponsors is stupid, but lmao

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Discounting foreign lands/ports (Thanks sponsor for telling me how to get from from LHR to nowhere Cambridgeshire) but, you would think that an average adult could figure out how to get from the airport to duty station. However, your average transfer coming via air is probably a new O or E who has spent a good amount of time losing what little common sense they have at the schoolhouse and now gets unleashed back on the world. A good sponsor takes that little bit of time to get the new person to a place to sleep without them having to worry. I did that with three of my new guys years ago and felt way better knowing that, yup they got in alive and yup they they would be there on Monday. Anyway, that wraps up my caring time as my drill weekend is up, gotta pack my bag for a normal week dealing with a business client of children dressed in suits.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If all you had to do was find the loving base, sure. But it's helpful to have someone point you to finance/personnel, your actual duty location, lodging, etc. My last base had almost 100,000 people and a poo poo ton of buildings scattered over several square miles, and my base before that had two sections separated by public lands, and various base facilities were scattered between different sections of forest, swamps, etc. Having a sponsor can be very useful.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I just realized we have like 3 new people in this thread in the past year. Welcome to the Navy new peeps, I've been in for over 4 years and still have no idea what I'm doing. Good luck!

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
In five years I've learned:

-If you get a call while >2hr late to duty asking where you are, you are always on the way to medical.
-If you get a call on liberty asking you to get back in within x hours, you are always hiking within the liberty radius and x+5 hours from getting back.
-C-WAY is a tool to ensure all career counselors get the best orders whenever eligible.
-Flying under the radar and doing a good job don't have to be mutually exclusive.
-If your CO is a ringknocker good luck getting an OCS recommendation.
-If you're ever asked how much and how often you drink, the answer is always "I don't drink".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sir Lucius posted:

I just realized we have like 3 new people in this thread in the past year. Welcome to the Navy new peeps, I've been in for over 4 years and still have no idea what I'm doing. Good luck!

I finally finished indoc/unit readiness/somebullshitwithmyCAC and now I'm just waiting on my badge so I can finally start refilling toner and replacing network cables perhaps next month. It really has been a wild ride.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Analogical posted:

-If you get a call while >2hr late to duty asking where you are, you are always on the way to medical.
-If you get a call on liberty asking you to get back in within x hours, you are always hiking within the liberty radius and x+5 hours from getting back.
-C-WAY is a tool to ensure all career counselors get the best orders whenever eligible.
-Flying under the radar and doing a good job don't have to be mutually exclusive.
-If you're ever asked how much and how often you drink, the answer is always "I don't drink".

I would add -Do not own a cell phone, but it's not 2000 any more.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
been in for almost 2 years and the only thing i can say is i'm gay

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Analogical posted:

Probably best advice in hindsight I ever received on the ship:

"If you were so god damned smart, you would have shut your mouth the second you showed up on board."

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

krispykremessuck posted:

I'm not surprised someone thinks the idea of sponsors is stupid, but lmao

Yeah, it's totally unreasonable to expect a grown man or woman to be able to google the name of their command followed by quarterdeck (or Officer of the Day for Marines) and actually talk to a human being about their checking in. Before google, I could still call the operator and ask for the base operator's number.

Sponsors are great for folks checking into units overseas. I get that it's difficult to travel in foreign countries where there is a language barrier and currency exchange issues. It's dumb to think that adults are incapable of showing up at the front gate of whatever base they're going to in CONUS though.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah, it's totally unreasonable to expect a grown man or woman to be able to google the name of their command followed by quarterdeck (or Officer of the Day for Marines) and actually talk to a human being about their checking in. Before google, I could still call the operator and ask for the base operator's number.

Sponsors are great for folks checking into units overseas. I get that it's difficult to travel in foreign countries where there is a language barrier and currency exchange issues. It's dumb to think that adults are incapable of showing up at the front gate of whatever base they're going to in CONUS though.

Yeah you're right. It's totally more reasonable that the ship has no idea that a sailor is coming and should just play it by ear when/if they arrive. Good point.

For gently caress's sake, the idea of "someone being there to greet and escort you" is not a unique thing to the Navy or military in general. Case in point, I went to an MBA event over the weekend, and low and behold, someone from the school was waiting in the hotel lobby to escort me over. Turns out, looking out for collective best interests is a pretty common theme.

Boon fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 19, 2015

• Locked thread