Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ess-vid posted:

Oh I remember, that wasn't even one of the longer ones, as before they adjusted them there were a few that had six or even eight hour spawn cooldowns. Hours that you had to sit there doing absolutely nothing, mind, because the roving bands of Atma farmers and the people also doing Animus meant doing things like crafting was a nonstarter, since the FATE would be burned down before your skills even came off cooldown from switching classes.

Funnily enough, Animus was the OF's least hated step because Trackable Progress... lauded, of course, by people that weren't actually doing it (they were still busy whining about Atma because they didn't get the drop by the third FATE in the zone). Everyone actually doing it loving despised it for all of the forced downtime with the FATEs and world mobs.

i'll never forget the time i delayed raid by an hour because a taste of fear took six hours to spawn. yay fates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ess-vid
Jun 27, 2013

Hivac posted:

Oh, so they complain about both types when they're relevant then bitch how they're too easy once progression has moved past them and changed for newer players to catch up faster. Cool. I'm glad I don't actually read the OF. I'm glad Technogeek is here to provide the Greatest Hits edition.

Yup. The current OF opinion on Zodiac is that they were "betrayed" both because it didn't automatically turn into an i210+ weapon at 3.0 launch, and it's "easy to get" (even with nerfs, it takes a few weeks of grinding and millions of gil to complete what is functionally a glamour weapon).

Basically the OF is full of people that suffer "middle class syndrome". They joined some game like XI and saw people with rare gear and envied it, but did not have the capability or will to do what getting it needed. Of course, they cannot admit that anyone has more time/ability/friends or anything that could be construed as "better" than them, so they're adamant that those with the gear didn't do the grind and instead got preferential treatment because reasons. So now in this game they constantly demand old awful things like the XI relics because they think they'll be one of the Chosen Ones that will be mailed all the goodies before Yoshida "pulls the ladder up" and gates it all behind impossible grinds, making them the envied special snowflake.

It's the same attitude that makes them scream, "a healer's job is to heal" and demand cleric stance be removed from the game, since if they're so piss poor at MP management that they can't dps for fear of tapping out, obviously the ones that can must be cheating and should be stopped.
Or how they're mad about Exploratory Missions, because after whining about the lack of competitive open world content since beta, they finally realized missions being shared instances means other people can get the goodies before them :qq:

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I, for one, welcome the new method of making the entire server mad at PBC

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I honestly like the concept of Exploratory Missions so I'm looking forward to 3.1 quite a bit, to be honest. I hope it has some significant level of depth to it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Doing three hundred fates in Western La Noscea for that goddamn atma of the crab was pretty garbage though

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
I'm willing to give exploratory missions an honest shot, but I'm really concerned that the goodwill and enthusiasm for the game which allowed people to endure hunts has been completely eradicated by 3.0

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

Hivac posted:

There's a difference between technically hard content and content that is "hard" because it requires horrendously obscene timesinks and/or ludicrous droprates

Usually you get a lot of folks on the OF that idolize the latter (as in FFXI/EQ/RO tier timesinks) because they're idiots
well, to put my expectations into perspective, I liked the pre-nerf heroic 5man dungeons in cataclysm. I was playing a hunter at the time, and having to turn on nameplates and change targets to CC/Interupt casts felt good to play. it meant I had to pay attention to what was going on and react to it, something I enjoy.

I like fights with a certain expectation of player action and reaction, and I like small group(light party) dungeons more than raids. I also do LoS pulls when I tank, which many DPS seem to love loving up repeatedly, because they're just going through the motions like a bunch of braindead NPCs.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

why would you do extremely dumb poo poo like that when CC is completely pointless in this game

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Yeah, I get what you mean. This is one of those situations where the overall accessibility of the game kinda wears on me for some content. It's been a long, long time since ffxiv challenged me for real outside of progression content and the last time there actually was something challenging, it was nerfed pretty quickly and is now basically almost a mindless romp.

E: CC is pointless exactly because there is nothing in the game that is CCable that is dangerous enough to warrant using it on. If there was, I think you'd see stuff like Sleep seeing a lot more use

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

why would you do extremely dumb poo poo like that when CC is completely pointless in this game

remember fellows, you heard it from ilifinicus. engaging gameplay=extremely dumb poo poo.

would I even need to be a hardcore time sink loving elitist sperg shitbag to hate this sort of attitude?

Hivac posted:

Yeah, I get what you mean. This is one of those situations where the overall accessibility of the game kinda wears on me for some content. It's been a long, long time since ffxiv challenged me for real outside of progression content and the last time there actually was something challenging, it was nerfed pretty quickly and is now basically almost a mindless romp.

E: CC is pointless exactly because there is nothing in the game that is CCable that is dangerous enough to warrant using it on. If there was, I think you'd see stuff like Sleep seeing a lot more use
exactly. I just want stuff that keeps me awake and paying attention to the content. hell, it doesn't even need to be every dungeon, or every pack of mobs. just mix even one kind of mob into a dungeon each tier to be singled out.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nehezir posted:

just mix even one kind of mob into a dungeon each tier to be singled out.

But then I can't spam overpower everywhere and my tomes per second :kingsley:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sleep is still on one of my chotbars. I will keep the dream alive.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

nehezir posted:

remember fellows, you heard it from ilifinicus. engaging gameplay=extremely dumb poo poo.
I, too, will do completely unnecessary poo poo to make sure people's experience in dungeons is worsened because why the gently caress is my tank running around ferrying the mobs around corners with this game's netcode where melee players can not hit moving targets

I am of course not happy with this being the situation (I hate dungeons in this game, but that's from another thread), but at least try to not make it worse

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

nah, you can. the mob in question for these things is usually a caster or ranged unit, he's going to hang in the back when you pull. tomahawk melee mob>let them close into you>dps CC's ranged mob>tank with frontal cone placed smartly and spam overpower with impunity.

I know you're kidding, I just wanted to illustrate just how loving simple this poo poo is to pull off and still allow anyone with half a brain and the ability to loving adapt to function as normal. it's the basic application of skill that anyone who is paying attention can accomplish if they THINK. needing to CC can be done without tremendous sacrifice if players exercise caution during the pull/positioning and reapply CC at appropriate intervals.

ilifinicus posted:

I, too, will do completely unnecessary poo poo to make sure people's experience in dungeons is worsened because why the gently caress is my tank running around ferrying the mobs around corners with this game's netcode where melee players can not hit moving targets

I am of course not happy with this being the situation (I hate dungeons in this game, but that's from another thread), but at least try to not make it worse
you mean the first...4 seconds of most pulls? oh my god, I have to...pause instead of hugging tank's rear end and just jumping in the moment he pushes a button.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ess-vid posted:

Or how they're mad about Exploratory Missions, because after whining about the lack of competitive open world content since beta, they finally realized missions being shared instances means other people can get the goodies before them :qq:

The rage over exploratory msisions is what I have been looking forward to the most in this game for a while, as it's exactly what a ton of whiny shitbags have been asking for, and they're going to be VERY upset when they get it :allears:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Speaking of relics, I guess I should probably finish my Apocalypse or something. Good thing the wife will be out of town next week. :getin:

In other news, I had a great Seal Rock match as MCH yesterday. Ended up with 6 KOs and only 1 death. We didn't win, but we came drat close and managed to make up a large point deficit right before the match ended.

After the match, I immediately got an invite to an active PvP linkshell and got some compliments. That was nice. :3:

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 16, 2015

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

nehezir posted:

you mean the first...4 seconds of most pulls? oh my god, I have to...pause instead of hugging tank's rear end and just jumping in the moment he pushes a button.
yeah? that's how easy this game is outside of savage. just keeping pulling to keep the pace up through the boring slog that is dungeons in this game requires a surprisingly low amount of effort and doing something else to be edgy seems extremely dumb

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DizzyBum posted:

Speaking of relics, I guess I should probably finish my Apocalypse or something. Good thing the wife will be out of town next week. :getin:

In other news, I had a great Seal Rock match as MCH yesterday. Ended up with 6 KOs and only 1 death. We didn't win, but we came drat close and managed to make up a large point deficit right before the match ended.

After the match, I immediately got an invite to an active PvP linkshell and got some compliments. That was nice. :3:

It seems like the ranged classes really have an advantage at seal rock. If a summoner can get a Deathflare off in a group of people surrounding the node the numbers are quite :eyepop: worthy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Summoners are a god drat terror in pvp. In 15 seconds they can dump an insane amount of damage on a single target, cause a significant amount of splash damage, and all while on the move. Not to mention they have an AOE bind. The good thing though is after they've burned through aetherflow and dreadwyrm, they're pretty much useless for a minute. Also a good chunk of their damage can be shut down with purify.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 16, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Hivac posted:

Fister Roboto posted:

Summoners are a god drat terror in pvp. In 15 seconds they can dump an insane amount of damage on a single target, cause a significant amount of splash damage, and all while on the move. Not to mention they have an AOE bind. The good thing though is after they've burned through aetherflow and dreadwyrm, they're pretty much useless for a minute. Also a good chunk of their damage can be shut down with purify.

Amusingly enough, Sleep is amazing in PvP for exactly that reason. This is also why vit gear is so good for Seal Rock: having the HP to get healed through SMN burst (and limit breaks!) makes you infinitely better at your job, even if you're not doing as much damage as you could be doing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vit is good in pvp, but only on healers. For everyone else, you DO need to be doing as much damage as you can, because removing a threat is even better than absorbing the damage of that threat. For healers it's OK to give up some healing potency for survivability because most of their heals are going to be overheals anyway, and they tend to get focused the most. With full vit you can tank a melee LB.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Fister Roboto posted:

Summoners are a god drat terror in pvp.
Hearing the start of a SMN's wind up land is the only thing that ever worries me in PvP. There is absolutely nothing as frightening.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

In Seal Rock if you're a Scholar or Astrologian people more often than not don't bother with you and look for a WHM instead unless you're alone.

Having Tri-Disaster hit you is a sign to bunker down with cooldowns and wait for the impending Fester/Painflare/Deathflare.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fister Roboto posted:

Vit is good in pvp, but only on healers. For everyone else, you DO need to be doing as much damage as you can, because removing a threat is even better than absorbing the damage of that threat. For healers it's OK to give up some healing potency for survivability because most of their heals are going to be overheals anyway, and they tend to get focused the most. With full vit you can tank a melee LB.

I'm a huge proponent of doing what you need to to get 10k HP on all classes, whether it be using food every game or equipping Yasha Earrings of Fending. 10k lets you legitimately survive a melee LB or 2x Cometeor without being at 100% health, and it's a tiny drop in damage for that breakpoint.

Also, everyone should really have a VIT set for when they get battle fever - Fever is worth way more damage than right-side acessories, and you kinda become the tank if you're anything other than a particularly skittish SMN.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Boten Anna posted:

The rage over exploratory msisions is what I have been looking forward to the most in this game for a while, as it's exactly what a ton of whiny shitbags have been asking for, and they're going to be VERY upset when they get it :allears:

Reminds me of when they added level locking in WoW's PvP for the twink players, which effectively destroyed twinking in PvP!

So how many people that wanted exploration missions have pulled a "No True Scottsman!!" and are trying to play it up like instancing making them "not count?"

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

i am tim! posted:

Reminds me of when they added level locking in WoW's PvP for the twink players, which effectively destroyed twinking in PvP!

So how many people that wanted exploration missions have pulled a "No True Scottsman!!" and are trying to play it up like instancing making them "not count?"

Oh god I looked that up and ahahahaha, nobody wanted to twink anymore when they put twinks up against other twinks. That's loving adorable :allears:

And yeah even though it sounds like the instancing is going to be pretty light as you can encounter other groups, and it's probably just a way to have enough for the game's rather gigantic population to make the entire endeavor worthwhile to show up to and not a Hunt-style clusterfuck with XI's HNM loot rules, it will be the source of many, many tears.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

i am tim! posted:

How did that destroy twink pvp?

Boten Anna posted:

Oh god I looked that up and ahahahaha, nobody wanted to twink anymore when they put twinks up against other twinks. That's loving adorable :allears:

This is amazing.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
People worked hard to have an alt that was just barely at the maximum range for a PVP level range (like level 19 when PVP is segregated by groups of 10-19, 20-29, etc) and then stop playing any non-PVP content. Level 19 gear sold for a ton more than Level 20 due to this, and it sounds like they added level syncing or something similar so that the Non-PVP-obsessive would be able to play at the top tier of the level group instead of accidentally leveling out of that range by *gasp* playing the game. Twinks used to be rare since it had to be an alt character that you specifically stopped playing the actual game with, but level locking or whatever meant that common people could also be more powerful, so twinks threw a hissy fit about spending the equivalent of millions of gil and no longer being overpowered due to a crappy system

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sentient Data posted:

People worked hard to have an alt that was just barely at the maximum range for a PVP level range (like level 19 when PVP is segregated by groups of 10-19, 20-29, etc) and then stop playing any non-PVP content. Level 19 gear sold for a ton more than Level 20 due to this, and it sounds like they added level syncing or something similar so that the Non-PVP-obsessive would be able to play at the top tier of the level group instead of accidentally leveling out of that range by *gasp* playing the game. Twinks used to be rare since it had to be an alt character that you specifically stopped playing the actual game with, but level locking or whatever meant that common people could also be more powerful, so twinks threw a hissy fit about spending the equivalent of millions of gil and no longer being overpowered due to a crappy system

Yes it makes sense, all the people who did lovely in the 60s bracket would make twinks to rule the noobs. Then with all the losers would fight in the 19s bracket and would get stomped. very funny.

A friend had a twink and he explained it once with crusader and a bunch of expensive poo poo for the 39s battlegrounds he was unkillable.

There's no way it cost equal to a million gil, maybe a few hundred gold from vanilla wow.

There was a very funny thing to do in lineage 2,
Lvl a character up to lvl 20, then delvl to lvl 4 because if you died as a lvl 4 you couldn't drop items but you have lvl 20 skills.

Then you kill noobs in the pvp zone.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 16, 2015

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Niton posted:

Fever is worth way more damage than right-side acessories, and you kinda become the tank

Fever is a beacon for the opposing teams, letting them know that it is your time to die.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
For someone who never played WoW, can someone explain what a twink is in terms of PVP? Cause I'm not about to google that at work.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

seiferguy posted:

For someone who never played WoW, can someone explain what a twink is in terms of PVP? Cause I'm not about to google that at work.

I was about to post this exact thing, but Sentient Data's post covered it pretty well actually

e: if "Twink PVP" isn't the name of a WoW-themed gay porn it probably should be

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

seiferguy posted:

They stayed low lvl and bought gear off the auction house to be strong vs low lvl players.

Theres materia limits in this game, so what I say here wont make sense, just try to grasp the meaning.

Say they had a lvl 25 guy and they bought lvl 25 armor but they put materia 6 in the armor. LIKE super overcharged!, then they went and pvped vs people who have no way to afford even 1 materia 2.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 16, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Tenzarin posted:

They stayed low lvl and bought gear off the auction house to be strong vs low lvl players.

Theres materia limits in this game, so what I say here wont make sense, just try to grasp the meaning.

Say they had a lvl 25 guy and they bought lvl 25 armor but they put materia 6 in the armor. LIKE super overcharged!, then they went and pvped vs people who have no way to afford even 1 materia 2.

There was also some good twink gear in various low level dungeons, so I remember hearing about twinks sometimes risking getting some XP to run Deadmines or something-- and occasional horror stories about people getting the drop they needed but hitting 20 in the process.

Vanilla WoW was so weird, and even though I wouldn't want to play a game like that again in a million years, I feel very glad that I got to see it before I knew better.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
haven played wow in years but it used to divide pvpers into brackets based on their levels (10-19, 20-29, etc). Twinks were the people who got to the max level for the bracket and min-maxed their gear to be pvp powerhouses (i.e. crafting/farming the highest level stuff for that level, enchanting it with endgame buffs, etc).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't always pvp, but when i do, I don't want to have a chance in hell to lose.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

Kind of, though a couple details are wrong. WoW still doesn't have anything like XIV's level sync to my knowledge, but they added xp to battlegrounds while also adding a feature where you could lock out your ability to gain further xp by paying a few gold to an NPC (mostly as a deterrent to keep unwitting people from doing it on accident). Soon after I think (not 100% on the timeline) they started making characters who had this level lock feature on only queue with other characters who did the same thing. Since they could no longer stomp noobz to feel like bigdick mcgnomerson and generally make pvp and unfun nightmare for people who just wanted another way to get some xp besides dungeon/quest grinding, they all stopped queuing to the point where it took forever for these so-called "twinks" to get a match.

And for those at home, part of being a "twink" is minmaxing equipment based on the maximum level for a particular battleground's level bracket and putting expensive enchantments (think the more rare/expensive Materia IV/V kind of) on them. Some of this gear would be rare world drops or require crafting from materials that nobody really farms, so it could get expensive on the order of pentamelded accessories in XIV if they really went all out.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
except then they kind of shot that all away anyways because there's so many heirlooms at this point that have the best stats available for that slot, including weapons, you don't even have to try to twink for pvp anymore, just wear heirlooms

and since they go from character to character it's not even expensive anymore

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

sword_man.gif posted:

except then they kind of shot that all away anyways because there's so many heirlooms at this point that have the best stats available for that slot, including weapons, you don't even have to try to twink for pvp anymore, just wear heirlooms

See: not fun because anyone can do it nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Boten Anna posted:

Kind of, though a couple details are wrong. WoW still doesn't have anything like XIV's level sync to my knowledge, but they added xp to battlegrounds while also adding a feature where you could lock out your ability to gain further xp by paying a few gold to an NPC (mostly as a deterrent to keep unwitting people from doing it on accident). Soon after I think (not 100% on the timeline) they started making characters who had this level lock feature on only queue with other characters who did the same thing. Since they could no longer stomp noobz to feel like bigdick mcgnomerson and generally make pvp and unfun nightmare for people who just wanted another way to get some xp besides dungeon/quest grinding, they all stopped queuing to the point where it took forever for these so-called "twinks" to get a match.

And for those at home, part of being a "twink" is minmaxing equipment based on the maximum level for a particular battleground's level bracket and putting expensive enchantments (think the more rare/expensive Materia IV/V kind of) on them. Some of this gear would be rare world drops or require crafting from materials that nobody really farms, so it could get expensive on the order of pentamelded accessories in XIV if they really went all out.

This is pretty much it. WoW PvP matches didn't used to give Experience until the Cataclysm expansion, if I remember right, but once they added that, it meant that these level 19 powerhouses could, after a few Battlegrounds (and it wasn't many, leveling through PvP at low levels was pretty quick), outlevel the bracket and then be just a powerful, but not immortal, level 20.

I remember doing a low-level BG on my Warrior back in the Vanilla days and not at all understanding how this enemy Rogue could have 7 times as much HP as me. :shep:

sword_man.gif posted:

Heirlooms are not quite Best-In-Slot, but they're pretty close, and yeah, they've made them incredibly easy to get these days. Used to be you'd need to do some measure of level-cap content to get the currency you needed to buy them, but now it's, like, 500g, which is a drop in the bucket for most players.

So since a majority of the playerbase has heirlooms now, it kind of evens things out again, and most players are pretty homogeneous. It can still be rough on new players, but really, for them the best bet is to get into a guild and get some advice on making cash... At the state the game is now, or was when I left it, getting enough money for a full set of heirlooms should not take long, even for someone who has never played before.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 16, 2015

• Locked thread