Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Mortabis posted:

Okay, uh, I didn't know about the Pycelle thing but everything about that is retarded.

actually it's funny and you're retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Apoplexy posted:

Yes, he really hates gay people.

He doesn't hate gay people just like 1950s southern segregationists didn't hate black people.

They don't hate them, they just want to deny them the same rights and entitlements that come with being a human being. Totally different. :downs:

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 9, 2015

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Masie Williams gives a brief chat on the radio about the next series, spoilers abound John Snow's totally dead guys

http://absoluteradio.co.uk/competitions/whos-calling-christian.html

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Baka-nin posted:

Masie Williams gives a brief chat on the radio about the next series, spoilers abound John Snow's totally dead guys

http://absoluteradio.co.uk/competitions/whos-calling-christian.html

Yeah, the complete laughter doesn't really help her sell it. I think they're all in on the joke at this point.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I do find it funny she's really taken it upon herself to emphatically claim Jon Snow is dead, though.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Until there is a resurrection he is dead.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Collateral posted:

I suppose it depends on whether ASoIaF is set a long, long time ago, or in a far-distant sci-fi future.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Collateral posted:

Okay, fine, dead with the implication of remaining so.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

In It For The Tank posted:

I mean, it's speculation but it makes sense. It's a fact that Orson Scott Card wrote an incredibly negative review of the show and it's a fact that his book Ender's Game is about humanity fighting a race of (alien) bugs. It's also a fact that that David and Dan have been salty enough before to use the show to get back at those they feel have wronged them, like when they made Pycelle parrot word for word part of HBO's official statement condemning the show for using a prop of Bush's head and putting it on a spike.

What did card even say in the review? know that he is giant conservative prudish dick clown makes me think he just bitched about the gays and the nudity and probaly the violence.

Edit: just read it and i dont totally disagree with him, strange. season one does over do the nudity alot, but there is so much that by half way through the season you kinda just dont notice it anymore. then again i don't think the script is that bad, at least in the first 3 seasons.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 13, 2015

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

I mean, it's speculation but it makes sense. It's a fact that Orson Scott Card wrote an incredibly negative review of the show and it's a fact that his book Ender's Game is about humanity fighting a race of (alien) bugs. It's also a fact that that David and Dan have been salty enough before to use the show to get back at those they feel have wronged them, like when they made Pycelle parrot word for word part of HBO's official statement condemning the show for using a prop of Bush's head and putting it on a spike.

It actually makes even more sense when you realize that they were hired by him years ago to adapt Ender's Game for film and got dropped

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

It actually makes even more sense when you realize that they were hired by him years ago to adapt Ender's Game for film and got dropped

Haha, really?

quote:

In 2003, Weiss and David Benioff, who had been friends since college,[5] were hired to collaborate on a new script of Orson Scott Card's book Ender's Game in consultation with the then-designated director Wolfgang Petersen.[6] It was not used.[7]

lol

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Oh, unquestionably. Taking a swipe at Orson Scott Card isn't the worst thing in the world but the scene it happened in was so dumb and such a poor substitute for some kind of development/resolution about Tysha (which got completely gutted from Season 4) that I wish they'd made it a one line jab like Pycelle's line rather than turning it into a five minute dialogue with a blatant message about life being cruel and unfair.

You book readering types Just Don't Get It. That monologue was amazing, it was great. It addressed not only Tyrion's situation, but directly addressed the appeal of the show and the books. It was the most directly the audience was ever addressed in any of the mediums. And contrary to the (delightful) meme-art depicting GRRM going "khuu khuu", Tyrion is as always the authorial stand-in. Game of Thrones is a grand thesis on the theme of beetle-smashing and we, the audience-reader, are the imbeciles banging rocks together.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you haven't been keeping up with Preston Jacobs, his latest video is him theorizing the existence of a 'dragonrider' gene and trying to extrapolate how this gene would have been passed through literally every generation of the Targs since they moved to Dragonstone. It's pretty insane, but I have to admire his commitment to the concept.

Also he thinks the 'Myrcella' maimed in Dorne is actually her cousin, Rosumand, and the real Myrcella is hidden somewhere else entirely. Which is an interested idea, but his evidence is constructed through some really crazy dialogue break down. Sometimes I am not sure he understands how conversations work.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Ashcans posted:

If you haven't been keeping up with Preston Jacobs, his latest video is him theorizing the existence of a 'dragonrider' gene and trying to extrapolate how this gene would have been passed through literally every generation of the Targs since they moved to Dragonstone. It's pretty insane, but I have to admire his commitment to the concept.

Also he thinks the 'Myrcella' maimed in Dorne is actually her cousin, Rosumand, and the real Myrcella is hidden somewhere else entirely. Which is an interested idea, but his evidence is constructed through some really crazy dialogue break down. Sometimes I am not sure he understands how conversations work.

For gently caress's sake Preston, yes there are some hidden (or obvious, really) things in this story, but not every single thing is a super secret hidden dangerous plot.

When you've got to nitpick every sentence to verify your theory, then it's probably wrong. And it gives GRRM waaayyyy more credit than he's due.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Preston Jacobs is actually correct about everything he puts in his videos and is causing GRRM to constantly rewrite the next book.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I dunno if dragon fire can melt steel beams bro.

Edit: His videos remind me of a friend that went off the rails with meth and started seeing patterns everywhere.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 15, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've been rewatching season 5, and I'm slowly coming to the realization that it's not wholly terrible. At least not up 'till episode 5, though some scenes are worse for knowing what happen later.

Cersei's plot is consistently good, and she gets to be a more rounded character than the complete stooge she is in the books. If we accept that Littlefinger has absolutely no idea that Ramsay has been flaying people left and right and loves to parade around his favorite broken highborn captive, his scheme for Sansa isn't terrible. The relationship between Roose and Ramsay feels like it could go places. The abridged adventures of Tyrion are just him chilling with Varys and bonding with Jorah, so they obviously work. Stannis remains the Mannis thus far, but we all know how that ends up.

Jon's arc as Commander is really weakened by getting rid of the part where he betrays the Watch due to his Stark loyalties, and he instead gets shanked because nobody could formulate a decent argument against genocide. Hardhome was really good though.

Arya's plot is boring and hamfisted, but I'm looking forward to re-watching the Scooby Doo ending, and I realize they had to do something to make her seem super unqualified to be a faceless man since they cut the warg angle.

Brienne's plot is amazing. After getting rejected by Arya last season and responding by killing her guardian and reluctant father figure, she jumps straight to being rejected by Sansa and killing several Vale knights in response. She then stalks her to Winterfell and sits on her rear end for half a season. We're never told what exactly she plans to do if Sansa lights the candle, but it doesn't matter since she abandons her post seconds before it's lit to go kill Stannis, and as soon as she's symbolically abandoned her vow to protect Sansa, she bumps into her. I have no idea where she's going from there and I can't wait to find out.

The Mereen arc was a steaming turd from start to finish, and the Dorne arc was amazing in how they managed to take by far the weakest plot of aFfC, cast Alexander Siddig, toss Bronn and Jaime in the middle of it for no good reason, and still make it a hundred times worse.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I don't like how tame the show has made Cersei. I wish they'd let her be as evil as she is in the books instead of passing the blame onto other characters consistently. Lena Headey is consistently really good, though.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Kajeesus posted:

The Mereen arc was a steaming turd from start to finish, and the Dorne arc was amazing in how they managed to take by far the weakest plot of aFfC, cast Alexander Siddig, toss Bronn and Jaime in the middle of it for no good reason, and still make it a hundred times worse.

Yeah as weak as the AFFC Dorne story was, "failed plot to crown Myrcella" is way, way more interesting than "successful plot to kill Myrcella", before you even get to bad pussy snake.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Yeah as weak as the AFFC Dorne story was, "failed plot to crown Myrcella" is way, way more interesting than "successful plot to kill Myrcella", before you even get to bad pussy snake.

Dorne's whole inheritance system being at odds with the rest of Westeros (and the subsequent cutting of Arianne as well as the crowning of Myrcella) is really one of the more interesting facets of the book. It really sets Dorne up as Different From Westeros and sets up the stage for shifting allegiance when the whole world collapses from ice zombies and dragons. Taking out that element and merging Arianne and Ellaria (though I am not complaining about keeping Indira Varma on the show, the actress is great) really shits on the whole concept of Dorne being this barely-held kingdom ready to pounce against King's Landing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Having Ellaria scheme to murder an innocent child also kind of shat in Oberyn's face, given that that was kind of the central objection of his character. She was with him the whole time, so she knew how and why he got killed. If we allow for her being traumatized enough to have more hatred of Cersei Lannister than respect for Oberyn's legacy, there's still the problem of her administering the poison in an insultingly obvious fashion, and somehow having access to Myrcella's prized jewellery without having any way to poison her before Jaime and Bronn show up.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Beeez posted:

I don't like how tame the show has made Cersei. I wish they'd let her be as evil as she is in the books instead of passing the blame onto other characters consistently. Lena Headey is consistently really good, though.

This. Honestly, for me Lena being so perfect for the role makes it even more painful when they whitewash her. Headey would loving own crazy, paranoid Cersei.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Kajeesus posted:

somehow having access to Myrcella's prized jewellery

One of my favorite things about this season was that Cersei must have opened the spring loaded snake box, activated the mechanism and seen the necklace, and then carefully reset it so that she could let Jaime dramatically open it himself.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

One of my favorite things is that for some reason they decided to retcon the necklace thing to there only being two in existence even though Joffrey previously gave Sansa a necklace explicitly described as being identical to the one Cersei wears.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
My favorite part of season 5 is how they retconed Cersei into telling Cat in season 1 that she had a brown-haired child with Robert while being blissfully unaware of how this ruined the prophecy which drives her in the later books and somehow my friends who can't even remember the names of "the dragon lady" or "that midget noble" remembered that kid and thus didn't think we were supposed to take the prophecy seriously.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Anonymous Zebra posted:

My favorite part of season 5 is how they retconed Cersei into telling Cat in season 1 that she had a brown-haired child with Robert while being blissfully unaware of how this ruined the prophecy which drives her in the later books and somehow my friends who can't even remember the names of "the dragon lady" or "that midget noble" remembered that kid and thus didn't think we were supposed to take the prophecy seriously.

I don't think the prophecy said you will only have 3 kids, just that 3 of them will be blond haired.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't think you need a rational explanation for the Watch stabbing Jon, hated and bigotry are not rational.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Sure it makes sense enough in the setting, that people have always wanted others to die. Jon and Sam are literally the only members of the Night's Watch who are against genocide; even Dolorous Edd says he wants them all dead but he'll obey Jon. The only arguments on either side are "We need to stick together or the White Walkers will kill us anyway" and "I want every single one of them to die because they killed X and I hate them." There's no one trying to frankly argue the value of human life, no pragmatic evaluation of letting the Gift be settled instead of raided, no concerns that the wildlings might turn on the Watch, no suggestion that some wildlings might join the watch, for ill or good. There's not even any conflict between the wildlings and the Watch. We had a scene where two Watchmen assaulted Sam and tried to rape Gilly (which had no fallout but Sam getting laid), but not a single incident of conflict between a Hardhome wildling and a Watchman.

It wasn't a spontaneous stabbing, either, but a deliberate plot by 12 or so men. They had time to scheme the stabbing and come up with the Benjen bait, but not to consider that it was literally the worst possible time to kill Jon. He'd already brought south all the wildlings he was going to, and he was the only crow they trusted, and Castle Black is currently full of armed and distrustful wildlings that he was planning to send away.

It's also thematically lovely for Alliser Thorne to be the kingpin. Jon promoted people based on ability and integrity rather than personal feelings, and disregarded Stannis' advice to just get rid of him. Jon could have lived if he were a pettier man, in theory.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

I don't think the prophecy said you will only have 3 kids, just that 3 of them will be blond haired.

The prophecy is pretty clear that it's talking about all her children, because Maggy numbers Cersei's and Robert's respective number of kids. 'Well she didn't say EXACTLY three!' would be a pretty lame out.

quote:

. "Will the king and I have children?" she asked.
"Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you."

The old woman was not done with her, however. "Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds," she said. "And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

The show version changes the numbers and cuts out the part after crowns and shrouds, which was also exceptionally dumb because that part of the prophecy is really important to understanding why Cersei hates Tyrion so much and why she is so committed to the idea that he's her enemy.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

a tv show cant retcon a book character. they are different in adaptation. the prophecy that drives her in the books is different in the show, get over it.

its kind of sad to see people complain so much about something they devote so many hours of their life to. why waste your time watching this show if you think its so terrible?

it says more about you and your life than it does about the skill of writers who are trying to adapt an extremely difficult story for television and still have itbe entertaining / profitable.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Ashcans posted:

The prophecy is pretty clear that it's talking about all her children, because Maggy numbers Cersei's and Robert's respective number of kids. 'Well she didn't say EXACTLY three!' would be a pretty lame out.

The show version changes the numbers and cuts out the part after crowns and shrouds, which was also exceptionally dumb because that part of the prophecy is really important to understanding why Cersei hates Tyrion so much and why she is so committed to the idea that he's her enemy.

She makes it explicitly clear in the show that she hates him because her mother died during his childbirth.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

TommyGun85 posted:

She makes it explicitly clear in the show that she hates him because her mother died during his childbirth.

And possibly also because hes a foul mouthed, whore obsessed drunk dwarf who still gets (marginally) more respect than her.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

a tv show cant retcon a book character. they are different in adaptation. the prophecy that drives her in the books is different in the show, get over it.

its kind of sad to see people complain so much about something they devote so many hours of their life to. why waste your time watching this show if you think its so terrible?

it says more about you and your life than it does about the skill of writers who are trying to adapt an extremely difficult story for television and still have itbe entertaining / profitable.

You don't understand what is being said. It's that the show retconned an addition they themselves made to the story. In season one they added in Cersei talking about how she and Robert had a child that died as soon as it was born, which would mean she's given birth to four children, yet the prophecy in the show says she'll only have three kids. It's a problem with the show's own consistency, nothing to do with whether it's incongruous with the books.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TommyGun85 posted:

Calm down, we are just discussing a TV show on a thread about the TV show. And we can think its silly and often badly written and still watch it and even enjoy it.

Kajeesus posted:

Sure it makes sense enough in the setting, that people have always wanted others to die. Jon and Sam are literally the only members of the Night's Watch who are against genocide; even Dolorous Edd says he wants them all dead but he'll obey Jon. The only arguments on either side are "We need to stick together or the White Walkers will kill us anyway" and "I want every single one of them to die because they killed X and I hate them." There's no one trying to frankly argue the value of human life, no pragmatic evaluation of letting the Gift be settled instead of raided, no concerns that the wildlings might turn on the Watch, no suggestion that some wildlings might join the watch, for ill or good. There's not even any conflict between the wildlings and the Watch. We had a scene where two Watchmen assaulted Sam and tried to rape Gilly (which had no fallout but Sam getting laid), but not a single incident of conflict between a Hardhome wildling and a Watchman.

It wasn't a spontaneous stabbing, either, but a deliberate plot by 12 or so men. They had time to scheme the stabbing and come up with the Benjen bait, but not to consider that it was literally the worst possible time to kill Jon. He'd already brought south all the wildlings he was going to, and he was the only crow they trusted, and Castle Black is currently full of armed and distrustful wildlings that he was planning to send away.

It's also thematically lovely for Alliser Thorne to be the kingpin. Jon promoted people based on ability and integrity rather than personal feelings, and disregarded Stannis' advice to just get rid of him. Jon could have lived if he were a pettier man, in theory.

The whole thing makes little sense, the more you think about it:

- Jon lands with the wildlings on the wrong side of the wall for no reason at all
- huge biggot Allister opens the door for then anyway
- nor Jon nor its opposition can make a decent argument to justify their actions, even though there are lots of valid ones for each side
- no conflict is show between wildlings and the watch
- nobody seems to realize that killing Jon is basically suicide for the Watch at that point

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 16, 2015

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Having the wildlings pass through the gate was a symbolic act and if they had landed south of the wall it would have been impossible to keep them under control.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TommyGun85 posted:

Reading comprehension, a hell of a thing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

Fair enough. I just think it pulls together better in the books, because Cersei's fears about Tyrion and behaviour toward him make a lot more sense when you understand that she has seen 2/3s of a prophecy come true and is panicking about the rest of it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

Having the wildlings pass through the gate was a symbolic act and if they had landed south of the wall it would have been impossible to keep them under control.

It was also a huge risk, considering that the other side is packed full of whitewalkers and zombies, like the ones they just had barely escaped from.

And I fail to see how is less impossible to keep then under control after they get past the gate, considering that they are thousands against less then a 100 NW.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm mostly baffled that they felt the need to break their own "no flashbacks" rule to add that particularly prophecy. Cersei has reason enough to hate Margaery without it, and she's got plenty of reasons to fear for Tommen and Myrcella's lives.

We're all agreed that the valonqar in the book prophecy is actually Jaime, though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

esperterra posted:

Reading comprehension, a hell of a thing.

I understood what was being said. my point was that the characters are very different in each medium but everyone is still treating them as the same.

sure the show screwed up with tbe season 1 baby but the point is that in the show the prophecy doesnt really affect her character at all. That Maggy scene coild havebeen cut altogether and her show character would be the same. She hates Tyrion for reasons outside the book prophecy.

• Locked thread