Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Nakar posted:

Most of the assumptions Miller makes are wrong but at the time he makes them I don't see why he wouldn't think them. Quiet exhibits a bunch of powers similar to the Skulls, it makes sense to assume she is one (and the Sniper Skulls basically work just like her, so...). They didn't know Skull Face had taken over Cipher until later, and Ocelot was actually the one who told them Skull Face was responsible for MSF's destruction. And "he wants to wipe out every language except English" was supported by the evidence that they were training parasites to react to every language yet not one was being trained in English.

The game basically casts Miller as the impulsive guy who is wrong every time but in most cases he's just being sensible. It is kind of a dumb idea to let Quiet live, and if Venom hadn't gotten super lucky that she decided against speaking she would've killed them all with the English strain. It was reasonable to assume those other things as well, especially since wiping out all but one language makes perfect sense if you assume Zero is still in control of Cipher, and it's Ocelot who has the info about Zero's state. Ocelot ends up right all the time because he's withholding information, because he's Ocelot.

Isn't this the thread that had the MGSV Big Lebowski picture? Kaz isn't wrong, he's just an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Colapops posted:

Perhaps, but you can teach someone administrative duties and logistics. Snake's genetics made him the perfect soldier, and that can't be taught (I guess?) so that's why he's hot bait for cloning.

You know, no where in the story do we really get a confirmation that Big Boss's genetics are perfect for soldiering. The genome soldiers didn't really work out and I think that's kinda the theme of MGS1, genes don't define you.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
That's true, until you realize that Liquid had the best soldier genes and kept kicking Snake's rear end until FOXDIE killed him.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
MGS is about trying to escape your fate, and how that only plays into the hands of destiny.

"Without free will, there is no difference between submission and rebellion" -Agent Ames

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Liquid really was just like, the coolest dude ever.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I kept waiting for the Eli is actually a clone of miller bomb to drop, he looks so much more like kaz than boss.

#whoah

maybe quiet is his mum

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nakar posted:

Incidentally on a replay I overheard a conversation about DD where one of the Mother Base soldiers gets really defensive over another one suggesting DD is a wolf and not a dog. It's well before the Huey sequence and is essentially foreshadowing for it.

EDIT: Come to think of it that's probably why Ocelot of all people is the one who trains DD. He trains a wolf to be a dog as he trains Venom to be Big Boss, each of them really something he's not. Makes a lot more sense of why Huey's scene leads directly into Truth.
imo it's definitely ambiguous as to what you actually look like. Miller is blind, Ocelot knows the truth, Huey doesn't recognise you at first and your men sometimes talk about how nobody knows what Big Boss really looks like (which seems, uh, unlikely, but ok) and you've been magically hypnotised. Maybe you look like your created character the whole time

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

imo it's definitely ambiguous as to what you actually look like. Miller is blind, Ocelot knows the truth, Huey doesn't recognise you at first and your men sometimes talk about how nobody knows what Big Boss really looks like (which seems, uh, unlikely, but ok) and you've been magically hypnotised. Maybe you look like your created character the whole time

Unlikely, After all the point of the plastic surgery was to fool the outsiders. I'm pretty sure Skull Face would know you weren't Big Boss unless you looked sorta like him.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Onmi posted:

Unlikely, After all the point of the plastic surgery was to fool the outsiders. I'm pretty sure Skull Face would know you weren't Big Boss unless you looked sorta like him.
It's hard to tell with Skull Face because he's insane, but when he calls you "Big Boss" the subtitles say it in inverted commas and he says it kinda sarcastically? I dunno man this game's weird.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nakar posted:

Incidentally on a replay I overheard a conversation about DD where one of the Mother Base soldiers gets really defensive over another one suggesting DD is a wolf and not a dog. It's well before the Huey sequence and is essentially foreshadowing for it.

EDIT: Come to think of it that's probably why Ocelot of all people is the one who trains DD. He trains a wolf to be a dog as he trains Venom to be Big Boss, each of them really something he's not. Makes a lot more sense of why Huey's scene leads directly into Truth.
DD is a dog though.

Buschmaki posted:

That's true, until you realize that Liquid had the best soldier genes and kept kicking Snake's rear end until FOXDIE killed him.
Maybe Liquid's life was better at bringing out the soldier in him?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
For the record, it's really strange Eli knows he's Big Boss's son, that he's a clone and all that, and yet this seems to all be revelations to Solid Snake.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think they were testing out different ways of having them grow up. Like, Liquid got told he was worthless and sent to battlefields in Africa, Snake just hung out in America and eventually joined the army just because, I think.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Onmi posted:

For the record, it's really strange Eli knows he's Big Boss's son, that he's a clone and all that, and yet this seems to all be revelations to Solid Snake.
It's commentary on the state of American education.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Eli doesn't really have much purpose in the story as it is which is strange because there's such an obvious part for him to play: his role should have been to push Venom on the path to realizing he's not the real Big Boss. In Chapter 2, have Eli stick around Mother Base purely for the purpose of getting revenge on Big Boss. However, once the blood tests come back negative, have Eli learn of the results and realize that (since he knows for sure he is Big Boss' clone) that Venom is a fake. Realizing there's no reason to stay anymore, Eli and Mantis escape with Sahelanthropus but not before Eli makes some very pointed remarks to Venom that he's living a lie. Venom pursues them to the Kingdom of the Flies and ultimately defeats Eli. As Venom leaves the infected Eli to die, Eli snaps and drops the bombshell that Venom is a phantom. Venom returns to Mother Base troubled and begins an investigation that would ultimately lead to the Truth.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Onmi posted:

Eil didn't know he was a clone, he just thinks Big Boss is his actual biological father. He doesn't find out about Les Enfants Terribles until much, much later, by which point in time he's already become Liquid Snake.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Although I guess you could argue whether it is canon, the Kingdom of Flies episode makes it clear that Eli knows he's a clone. Even in the main game itself, his LUST FOR REVENGE really only makes sense if he knows that he's a clone.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I kept waiting for the Eli is actually a clone of miller bomb to drop, he looks so much more like kaz than boss.

Given what giant, whiny bitches they both are, it actually would've been believable.

I think it's funny that Miller didn't hate Quiet because she was dangerous to MB staff or Snake, he hated her because she got to go on missions with Snake and he didn't. He's a jealous turd with a revenge boner.

Also, how and when did Miller get a second foot? He very clearly only has one at the start when he's wheeled off. He has a bitchy little fit at Ocelot when the latter suggests he gets fitted for prosthetics like Snake did. Yet here he is, walkin' about with two feet. Did I miss a cutscene where he went "I got up to take a poo poo in the night, fell over, and crapped myself, Ocelot. Where's that fake foot at?" or something?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Modest Mao posted:

You know, no where in the story do we really get a confirmation that Big Boss's genetics are perfect for soldiering. The genome soldiers didn't really work out and I think that's kinda the theme of MGS1, genes don't define you.

The Genome Soldiers didn't quite work out because they were normal ("normal") soldiers that got shots full of Boss-juice later. The genetic manipulation basically fried them, right?

As for Eli & David and their clone status: it's kind of up in the air whether Eli knew he was an actual clone, or if he just thought Boss was his father, but the tapes reveal that he escaped custody, not that he was just let loose on an unsuspecting Africa. Liquid and Solid both were sort of supposed to show that genetic tampering could be successful and it turns out they were super successful. They weren't successful for the people who originally ordered their creation, of course, but them's details.

I mentioned it a while ago but in the end, the weapon to surpass Metal Gear wasn't a new Gear, or a new nuke, or vocal cord parasites (WOLBACHIA), it was a new type of soldier - Liquid, Solid, and Solidus. The ~CYBORG NINJAS~ were the next step after that.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Colapops posted:

The Genome Soldiers didn't quite work out because they were normal ("normal") soldiers that got shots full of Boss-juice later. The genetic manipulation basically fried them, right?

As for Eli & David and their clone status: it's kind of up in the air whether Eli knew he was an actual clone, or if he just thought Boss was his father, but the tapes reveal that he escaped custody, not that he was just let loose on an unsuspecting Africa. Liquid and Solid both were sort of supposed to show that genetic tampering could be successful and it turns out they were super successful. They weren't successful for the people who originally ordered their creation, of course, but them's details.

I mentioned it a while ago but in the end, the weapon to surpass Metal Gear wasn't a new Gear, or a new nuke, or vocal cord parasites (WOLBACHIA), it was a new type of soldier - Liquid, Solid, and Solidus. The ~CYBORG NINJAS~ were the next step after that.

Johnny (Yes, that Johnny) was a genome soldier.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Slightly off-topic from TPP but: Beasts of No Nation launched on Netflix and it's got several similar themes to TPP. Child Soliders in an African nation, a Charismatic leader building an army for his own use and based on his own ideology.

It's pretty good and I'd recommend watching it if you are interested in that part of TPP.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ChibiSoma posted:

Also, how and when did Miller get a second foot? He very clearly only has one at the start when he's wheeled off. He has a bitchy little fit at Ocelot when the latter suggests he gets fitted for prosthetics like Snake did. Yet here he is, walkin' about with two feet. Did I miss a cutscene where he went "I got up to take a poo poo in the night, fell over, and crapped myself, Ocelot. Where's that fake foot at?" or something?

Where and when does Miller have two feet? There's a flashback moment when Snake blasts Skull Face's extremities off but he doesn't have prosthetics there or anything, it just briefly switches to him in his prime when he gets his moment of revenge.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Johnny (Yes, that Johnny) was a genome soldier.

He probably isn't. Much like with SOP, he hates needles, he probably skipped Gene Therapy day every day.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Colapops posted:

the real weapon to surpass metal gear is the meme or the myth, information and ideological control which can reproduce any individual as though they were a clone (S3).

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
In addition to the 10 more hours of cutscenes this game needs it should have been purely about liquid

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I really hope they either remake MG1/2 with this engine or at least hand things off to a new time like Kojima suggests. I don't really need plot, just more gameplay in this engine.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sylink posted:

I really hope they either remake MG1/2 with this engine or at least hand things off to a new time like Kojima suggests. I don't really need plot, just more gameplay in this engine.

I really would love MG1/2 in this engine. I mean the base managing element wouldn't make sense, but this is probably Kojima's best 'Game'

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As much as it makes me shudder to do so, I kinda agree with how Jim Sterling abridges it on the Steam store page. Gameplay-wise, it's the best in the whole series. Story-wise, it's the weakest in the whole series. And I played Portable Ops, which had fortune telling anime twins.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

dangerdoom volvo posted:

In addition to the 10 more hours of cutscenes this game needs it should have been purely about liquid
As the player character.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

honestly I'd love for them to just do something different with Fox Engine and do something with Liquid Snake. I already know about MG1+2 events but the days of FOXHOUND and how those freaks got together is something I'd love. Metal Gear Liquid: Tactical Genome Operations

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

honestly I'd love for them to just do something different with Fox Engine and do something with Liquid Snake. I already know about MG1+2 events but the days of FOXHOUND and how those freaks got together is something I'd love. Metal Gear Liquid: Tactical Genome Operations

I think the reason we wont is... well Kojima wanted to retire the character of Roy Campbell because his voice actor died, Which is probably why he's so far been "Sir not appearing in these games" despite his importance to the plot. That's also why I assume we haven't really explored FOXHOUND as an organization I mean... How did Big Boss come back from all of this to join it? How did Liquid?! Did Liquid join with Psycho Mantis? They both joined after Solid Snake so what were they doing until that point?

I mean yes, FOXHOUND is the latest iteration of Cipher's armed forces, But how did Big Boss come to be in charge of it? Was it Venom or Naked who was there?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Paul Eiding is not dead

edit: Oh you mean the Japanese voice actor, who it turns out actually is dead. Yeah that's probably why.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

CJacobs posted:

As much as it makes me shudder to do so, I kinda agree with how Jim Sterling abridges it on the Steam store page. Gameplay-wise, it's the best in the whole series. Story-wise, it's the weakest in the whole series. And I played Portable Ops, which had fortune telling anime twins.
It's stuff like this that makes me wonder how MGSV is going to shake out in the long term among Metal Gear fans. In a way, it's no different than most of the games in the series: there are parts that completely blow you away and parts where you shake your head and wonder about how decisions on the project were made. Will the gameplay come off as ancient a few years from now, and if it does, can it still hold up without the same kind of stories as previous MGS titles?

I'm having trouble thinking of another series that manages to simultaneously amaze and confound to the extent that MGS does.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

My prediction is that MGSV's gameplay will age astoundingly well

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Grey Fox posted:

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder how MGSV is going to shake out in the long term among Metal Gear fans. In a way, it's no different than most of the games in the series: there are parts that completely blow you away and parts where you shake your head and wonder about how decisions on the project were made. Will the gameplay come off as ancient a few years from now, and if it does, can it still hold up without the same kind of stories as previous MGS titles?

I'm having trouble thinking of another series that manages to simultaneously amaze and confound to the extent that MGS does.

The gameplay of the first three MGS games are still held up as exemplars for their period. I don't think the most sophisticated open world game ever built is going to be looked down on too harshly

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 16, 2015

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

CJacobs posted:

Paul Eiding is not dead

edit: Oh you mean the Japanese voice actor, who it turns out actually is dead. Yeah that's probably why.

I think it's funny that they wrote around a supporting character because the Japanese VA died, but they had no qualms about changing the English VA for the main character.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I think it's funny that they wrote around a supporting character because the Japanese VA died, but they had no qualms about changing the English VA for the main character.

It's especially strange as Kojima reportedly prefers the English VA to the Japanese, but that traditional seiyu worship didn't extent as far as not unceremoniously chucking The Most Iconic Voice in Gaming under a bus

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

DD is a dog though.

DD is almost certainly a wolf-dog. Half wolf, half dog. Not only is this a reference to Metal Gear Solid 1, but wolf hybrids called Volkosoby are currently used by the Russian military to patrol part of the Afghan border. We know how much Kojima cares about anachronistic things, so I don't think it matters that Volkosoby didn't start being used until 2010.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Snak posted:

DD is almost certainly a wolf-dog. Half wolf, half dog. Not only is this a reference to Metal Gear Solid 1, but wolf hybrids called Volkosoby are currently used by the Russian military to patrol part of the Afghan border. We know how much Kojima cares about anachronistic things, so I don't think it matters that Volkosoby didn't start being used until 2010.
he's a dog, fucker

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The gameplay of the first three MGS games are still held up as exemplars for their period. I don't think the most sophisticated open world game ever built is going to be looked down on too harshly
"For their period" being the important phrase here. I have no doubt MGSV will be well-regarded for its period, but is it something I'm going to want to play through again in its entirety 10+ years from now like Subsistence? For me, the story, character interactions, and setting keep me coming back to it more than the sneaking/combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It's especially strange as Kojima reportedly prefers the English VA to the Japanese, but that traditional seiyu worship didn't extent as far as not unceremoniously chucking The Most Iconic Voice in Gaming under a bus
Kojima's genius shines through again, blurring the line between game and reality. "There's less hesitation to pull the trigger if you're not fighting people of the same race."

• Locked thread