Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I spoke with an assistant to management today, the assistant wasn't familiar with any noise complaints and found the nature of the noise and repeated calls to the cops to be pretty bizzare.

She said she would discuss it further with management and let me know what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So maybe this is a weirdly specific edge case question, but does anyone have any experience as a married couple having a roommate? Because reasons my wife and I might be having a close friend move in with us. My wife and I have lived together for 5 or 6 years, always just the two of us. I've had roommates before, but obviously this is sort of a different situation. Just wondering if anyone had any anecdotes on how the house dynamics could change or anything like that.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Wickerman posted:

I spoke with an assistant to management today, the assistant wasn't familiar with any noise complaints and found the nature of the noise and repeated calls to the cops to be pretty bizzare.

She said she would discuss it further with management and let me know what's going on.

Could the building have mice in the walls? That could be the source of the pattering noise.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

ladyweapon posted:

It seems like a weird escalation to call the cops before even telling your property manager.

Some property managers won't do much of anything to resolve issues between tenants. It's debatable whether it's even their responsibility anyway. What would they do about a loud party when it happens at 1am and they are at home in bed and won't even find out about the complaint until tomorrow?

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

FISHMANPET posted:

So maybe this is a weirdly specific edge case question, but does anyone have any experience as a married couple having a roommate? Because reasons my wife and I might be having a close friend move in with us. My wife and I have lived together for 5 or 6 years, always just the two of us. I've had roommates before, but obviously this is sort of a different situation. Just wondering if anyone had any anecdotes on how the house dynamics could change or anything like that.

I did this. I think it's like any couple plus one situation, which is pretty normal but if you have a normal roommate disagreement it'll always be two against one, which can cause some problems if you're not careful. If any of you tend to be passive aggressive, it's probably not the best idea, but if you're good at communicating and not holding grudges it should probably be fine.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
There is a pretty big leak in the ceiling of my apartment, they are currently redoing all the roofs on our buildings, but haven't started mine yet. This leak has ruined the paint so far and made 4 holes in the ceiling. I've submitted an emergency work order, but what do you think the apt management will do about the issue? It doesnt look like something that can be easily repaired.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Depends on the leak. Leaks come in two types. The kind where you get on the roof and say "yep, there's the leak", and the type where you try a dozen things over three months and never figure it out.

If they can't immediately identify it I'd suspect they'd move your building up on the list in the re-roofing project.

The interior damage is usually just patching drywall and painting over it. An hour or two's work.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!

photomikey posted:

Depends on the leak. Leaks come in two types. The kind where you get on the roof and say "yep, there's the leak", and the type where you try a dozen things over three months and never figure it out.

If they can't immediately identify it I'd suspect they'd move your building up on the list in the re-roofing project.

The interior damage is usually just patching drywall and painting over it. An hour or two's work.

I was informed yesterday that there was 'nothing they could do until Monday,' so no maintenance guys ever came out. The carpet is soaked and water busted through several holes in the ceiling.. Not really sure what to do at this point..

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

When I move into my refurb apartment in a couple months, I've got the option of asking for all hardwood flooring, including the bedrooms (as opposed to carpet only in the bedrooms) for a slight rent increase. I'm tempted to take them up on that, 'cos the hard flooring they're using looks nice, but having never lived in a place with any uncarpeted areas besides the kitchen, I'm unaware of any gotchas. Hardwood any harder to generally take care of, or anything?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Hardwood or laminate?

Either way, it's MUCH easier to clean. Sweep and your done, with the occasional mop vs never ending vacuuming.

You can always get area rugs in places where you don't like the wood flooring.

It also increases the hilarity of running pets.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You can not vacuum carpet for weeks or months and it looks basically clean.

If you go a week without sweeping the floors in a hard-floored apartment, there will be fuzz balls and hair and all kinds of disgusting stuff everywhere.

That said, when you do actually clean, hard floors will be clean, and the carpet will still be full of disgustingness (that you can't see).

I prefer hard floors. To each his own.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

toplitzin posted:

Hardwood or laminate?

Either way, it's MUCH easier to clean. Sweep and your done, with the occasional mop vs never ending vacuuming.

You can always get area rugs in places where you don't like the wood flooring.

Just checked, laminate. The lady at the front said hardwood before but was under the same mistaken assumption as me I think :v:

toplitzin posted:

sold

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Having had both laminate "wood" floors and carpets in rentals, I'll take the laminate every time. It just needs a good sweep/swiffering on a regular basis and an occasional mopping. If you spill something on it it's not an instant death sentence to your security deposit either.

Even though they clean the carpet between tenants, it still gets gross. When we moved in to our current place and were sitting around on the floor waiting for our furniture to show up we definitely noticed a bit of a funk. Then I ran our steamvac over it after only living here a few months (so not long enough to get the carpet really gross) and the water sucked up out of the seemingly clean carpet was an alarmingly dark shade of brown.

ETA: part of our lease signing process here was watching a powerpoint presentation on what constitutes "normal wear and tear" on carpets

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Xandu posted:

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I ended up going with Rugsusa.com. The list prices are absurd, but everything is like 70% off.

Any update on this? I got sidetracked for a bit and haven't pulled the trigger on any rug yet, just wondering if you have any input on Rugsusa

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Looks like the move is going through. Move-in to the new unit is Dec 30, move-out of the old one is Jan 1, so I've got three days to move all of my stuff about 500 feet (ish) to the new unit.

I don't suppose anyone has any useful advice or One Weird Old Tips (Managers Hate Them!) to make the packing/moving process easier over such a short distance? Two and a half months out yet, yeah, but I might as well at least start thinking about it :shobon:

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I once moved my mom across a cul-de-sac, a distance of about 200 feet I suppose. Way too long to carry a couch but much too short to pack a truck. The rental place near us rented 4x4 sections of dance floor, and they have a "dance floor dolly" that is also 4x4. We moved most of it on that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Looks like the move is going through. Move-in to the new unit is Dec 30, move-out of the old one is Jan 1, so I've got three days to move all of my stuff about 500 feet (ish) to the new unit.

I don't suppose anyone has any useful advice or One Weird Old Tips (Managers Hate Them!) to make the packing/moving process easier over such a short distance? Two and a half months out yet, yeah, but I might as well at least start thinking about it :shobon:

While my move wasn't going as short a distance as yours, it's a good excuse to start throwing away all of your poo poo now. At least, all of the poo poo you don't need, since it'll be slightly less effort to purge something than move it, and you'll have more room when you get to the new place with your newly-ascetic lifestyle.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I just moved into a new place that's about 50% each hardwood/carpet. I already have a standup vacuum for monthly deep cleaning but space is at a premium and I keep it stowed away most of the time. What's the current goon go-to for hand vacuums for crumbs and such?

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
My biggest moving tip regardless of distance is to pull everything out of your closets/cupboards/drawers etc. and put them out in the open. No matter how little you think you have left to do, if there's stuff hidden away, you have a LOT more left than you think you did.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Teeter posted:

Any update on this? I got sidetracked for a bit and haven't pulled the trigger on any rug yet, just wondering if you have any input on Rugsusa

I mean, it's not the nicest rug I've ever owned, but with the discounts I'm pretty happy for it considering the price.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I posted this earlier in the thread, but if you are looking for a plainish area rug, I am really happy with the remnant I got from a carpet shop. It was ready in a few days and an 8'x8' piece, cut and bound, cost me $85.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I remember someone in here said they were a property manager or something in the Hampton Roads area. If you still read this thread, I'm looking to move into another rental in the next few months and wouldn't mind an extra source of places to look at.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Any idea why Penske is more than twice as expensive as Uhaul?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The Ferret King posted:

Any idea why Penske is more than twice as expensive as Uhaul?

No idea. but uhaul beat my budget quote and they also have the low deck trucks which is a great benefit.

I wonder if'll they'll match the 35% off coupon for budget. I got it from the post office for setting up mail forwarding.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 22, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

toplitzin posted:

No idea. but uhaul beat my budget quote and they also have the low deck trucks which is a great benefit.

I wonder if'll they'll match the 35% off coupon for budget. I got it from the post office for setting up mail forwarding.

How'd you go into that negotiation? Did you speak with the local pick up office or call their 800 number on the website?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

U haul has a lot of extra charges, and older trucks depending on where you are. Are you comparing the whole quote with the estimated gas, mileage fees, insurance, furniture pads, dolly rental. Penske usually has a higher deck and only 2 person seating in the front.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The Ferret King posted:

How'd you go into that negotiation? Did you speak with the local pick up office or call their 800 number on the website?

I called the 800 number because i need an extra week of rental/storage time between when i pick up and move and when the lease/move-in on my new place starts.
Uhual beat the quote only by $20, for a 15ft truck and car dolly vs a 16' and dolly from budget.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

lampey posted:

U haul has a lot of extra charges, and older trucks depending on where you are. Are you comparing the whole quote with the estimated gas, mileage fees, insurance, furniture pads, dolly rental. Penske usually has a higher deck and only 2 person seating in the front.

All of Penske's incidentals were more expensive than Uhauls. So adding them just increased the price difference. More than 2x the cost of Uhaul overall.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I have moved a lot of stuff a lot of times over a long distance. You could make the Uhaul free and the Budget or Penske $1000 and I'd cough up the grand without a second thought. I prefer Penske over Budget, but would take either over uhaul.

Also, interstate moves are like insurance quotes. Sometimes one is sky high for no particular reason, it's just that truck between those two locations on those dates. The next week it might be cheapest.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

photomikey posted:

I have moved a lot of stuff a lot of times over a long distance. You could make the Uhaul free and the Budget or Penske $1000 and I'd cough up the grand without a second thought. I prefer Penske over Budget, but would take either over uhaul.

Also, interstate moves are like insurance quotes. Sometimes one is sky high for no particular reason, it's just that truck between those two locations on those dates. The next week it might be cheapest.

I've found the seats in a uhaul to be more comfy on my cross country moves.
I've also driven a 20'+ international box truck for a few years. so :shrug:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A large part of it is also where you are, and where you're moving to.

I was talking with the guy at the U-Haul office for my last move into my first home (woo!) and he was telling me that moves from the south to the north, especially the northeast, don't happen very often and the mileage rates are extremely low. He said currently they have to pay employees to drive the trucks from southern state to the northern ones and fly back (or fly there and drive back) to keep the truck supply at a decent level.

So I guess if you're moving from Alabama to Maine try to negotiate a super cheap/free truck? :shrug:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is this the place to ask for advice on loud/shouty neighbors? If so...

I live in a Duplexy type house and I live upstairs, and have newish neighbours downstairs. They moved in, in August, and lately they've been yelling/shouting at each other more and more. One of them stormed out last weekend (thanksgiving monday :canada:) and slammed a bunch of doors.

They seem to fight about every 2-3 days, but door slamming is (fortunately) rare. Should I approach them about this? How?

The fighting really bothers me and some voice in the back my head worries about there being actual domestic violence. I'm a big wuss when it comes to people raising their voices, but my boyfriend who lives with me (and comes from a boisterous family by my measure) hates the fighting too.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Do you own or rent? Does the same landlord own both halves? If they do you can file a complaint with your landlord, if two different people own each half then you're kinda stuck on that front.

You could all the cops for a noise violation/potential domestic violence situation. Even if it's not a serious domestic dispute it'll probably embarrass them into shutting up.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

What's a good, inexpensive humidifier? It'd just be used for my bedroom at night, so it doesn't need to humidify a large area, and quiet is preferred.

Hoopaloops
Oct 21, 2005
Anyone have any recommendations for indoor plants that can survive heat swings? I'm in an old brownstone in the heart of New England with fairly quirky/inconsistent heating; when it's on we're in business at 75' and hotter near the radiators, but if it's off, which can happen when we're at work, the temp will drop to 60' pretty quickly, and lower near any windows.

Those conditions accelerated the demise of a few orchids my girlfriend got, so anyone have any other suggestions for durable indoor plants?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Pothos!

Nigh indestructible, cool vines.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Orchids are big babies that would've died anyway. The temperature swings aren't a huge deal; remember most plants are used to much more dramatic differences between day and night. Look for plants that fit your other needs, like light and overall temp requirements.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Do you own or rent? Does the same landlord own both halves? If they do you can file a complaint with your landlord, if two different people own each half then you're kinda stuck on that front.

You could all the cops for a noise violation/potential domestic violence situation. Even if it's not a serious domestic dispute it'll probably embarrass them into shutting up.

Rent, and the landlord owns both suites. I'll talk to the landlord then. Unless they have another doorslamming showdown, then I'll call the non-emergency line. Thanks.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hoopaloops posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for indoor plants that can survive heat swings? I'm in an old brownstone in the heart of New England with fairly quirky/inconsistent heating; when it's on we're in business at 75' and hotter near the radiators, but if it's off, which can happen when we're at work, the temp will drop to 60' pretty quickly, and lower near any windows.

Assuming your home is properly insulated, and your heaters have thermostat controls, it's more energy efficiently to leave them on all day and night at the same setting. It takes far less energy to maintain a certain temperature than it does to heat up a whole/several rooms from cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

We're looking to rent a house in an area that doesn't have much of a rental market and houses that do come up for rent get snatched up within hours of being posted. I can't really spend all day refreshing craigslist/zillow or trawling neighborhoods looking for for rent signs, is it worth hiring a realtor to help find something or would that be a tremendous waste of money?