Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Anya posted:

This is the best day ever.

Ha oh man I just looked up your post history in this thread and it's amazing. Your first post was May 1 of last year: "I love reading this thread and planning an eventual trip in the next couple of years..." Now you've got me all choked up, and and I'm a grown-rear end man. You'll be planning your next trip before you leave. I love seeing people do WDW for the first time -- it's like getting a contact high off someone else's vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Trying to not be all teary when you're the only adult in Belle's Enchanted Tales, that doesn't have a kid, is very hard to hide. Small World next! Pretty much my life is complete. Haven't even tried for a big ride, more focused on being a kid. Yay for FP+

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Lincoln posted:

Ha oh man I just looked up your post history in this thread and it's amazing. Your first post was May 1 of last year: "I love reading this thread and planning an eventual trip in the next couple of years..." Now you've got me all choked up, and and I'm a grown-rear end man. You'll be planning your next trip before you leave. I love seeing people do WDW for the first time -- it's like getting a contact high off someone else's vacation.

Literally I never thought this would ever happen. Greatest day after wedding and birth of my son.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?
I just got back from a conference in San Diego, and I'm heading to WDW on Monday evening (Wife is a teacher and had to be there for the in-service day). I expect to do precisely zero work today and Monday. In fact, my boss suggested that I "work from home" *wink wink* on Monday, since having me there will be pretty much worthless.

We're planning on hitting Epcot on Wednesday for our wedding anniversary. I got a reservation to La Hacienda de San Angel at 8:30 so we can watch IllumiNations while celebrating by way of more alcohol (as though we won't already be totally smashed after Food and Wine).

This is going to be a long weekend :(

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Lincoln posted:

I love seeing people do WDW for the first time -- it's like getting a contact high off someone else's vacation.

There is a lot of crap that comes with my job as a travel agent but THIS RIGHT HERE is why I do it. I especially love planning first trips for families with small kids.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, you definitely get the contact high of seeing someone experience it for the first time. When we took my little cousins (7 and 8, boy and girl) for a surprise first trip to Disney it was even better than doing it the first time myself. Seeing their wonder and smiles at everything is amazing. Seeing their faces on some of the bigger rides was even better (they loved them).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I was at MK with my girlfriend, her cousins, and her 7 y/o niece on their first visit a few months ago. We got to MK late, around 8:45pm, for a preemptive mission to hit a few of the lesser-desired rides, so they could focus on things they wanted to do on their main day at the park the next day. Got through the main gate, and as we headed towards Main Street, my GF saw that the right side entrance to tommorrow land bypass was open, and started to guide us that way. I looked at her, and asked "It's her first trip to the Magic Kingdom, and you want to take her down the broke-rear end alleyway? What are you, some kind of joy-hating heathen?"

As we came around the corner onto Main Street proper, Celebrate the Magic started. Her niece froze dead in her tracks and started tearing up.

PERFECT

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm so pumped to finally experience Disney so all these stories are making me happy. :3

The Magic Kingdom is open until 12 am when I go in December; do the parks capacity die down after like 7ish or do they remain jam packed until closing?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Most folks leave after the fireworks second parade. You'll find wait times do drop dramatically at the end of the night.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also after the fireworks or parade end, rush the closest ride before everyone else gets to it.

The parade starts near Splash Mountain, so if you get a seat in Frontierland or Liberty Square you can see it before everyone else waiting in Main Street and hit stuff while they're still seated.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 16, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Abu Dave posted:

I'm so pumped to finally experience Disney so all these stories are making me happy. :3

The Magic Kingdom is open until 12 am when I go in December; do the parks capacity die down after like 7ish or do they remain jam packed until closing?

Depends. If it's one of the nights it's open late for resort people it'll fill up with resort guests as it's emptying of everyone else. If it's not, it'll empty out after the last parade or fireworks of the night.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I'm not a huge fan of kids in day to day life, but man do I like kids at Disney. Cause like, that sense of innocent wonder and joy is amazing.

I also cry pretty consistently during the fireworks. Especially when they play any part of Walt's welcoming speech. I literally cannot hear him say "To all that come to this happy place: welcome" without tearing up.

Its just so magical :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W8iiugY3C0

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

On the Disney cruise ships, they play the first few notes of "When You Wish Upon A Star" with the foghorn and right before the captain makes an announcement. I teared up every single time.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm a 34 year old guy, and I'll freely admit I cried multiple times while at WDW with my kids. I grew up really poor and trips to places like WDW were just never something that was possible. The ability to have them experience WDW while being young, and watching the amazement and joy in their faces while they experienced everything still brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Braksgirl posted:

On the Disney cruise ships, they play the first few notes of "When You Wish Upon A Star" with the foghorn and right before the captain makes an announcement. I teared up every single time.

God yes, gave me chills every time. Such a cool touch. The whole cruise experience was amazing, and much more adult friendly than I thought it was going to be. I highly recommend it to anyone that likes Disney. And the foooooooood.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Survived the day at 240000 steps and achieving my life goals of meeting Ariel and Belle, and clowning around with Goofy and Donald. I never thought I'd have so much fun with the last two- but it was the best interaction ever. Plus dole whip floats, blowing my dad's mind with Biergarten for dinner (he lived in Germany for the Air Force in the 60s), and blowing my mom's mind with the whole trip. Exhausted but ready to sleep and do it again tomorrow! Glad you all could pseudo-experience my first visit to MK. It was perfect.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
240,000 steps? Jesus not even on a full day running the Epcot drinking binge marathon have I tallied up that much walking distance! Bravo.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

demonR6 posted:

240,000 steps? Jesus not even on a full day running the Epcot drinking binge marathon have I tallied up that much walking distance! Bravo.

That is impressive. I forgot to wear my fitbit last week, I wonder what I would have racked up. I had a trip to WDW for work which included two nights of walking around Epcot F&W for dinner, Thurs, Sat & Sun at NY ComicCon and Sunday night at the NY Giants football game. No wonder I'm exhausted.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, how did you manage that? I'm 6'2 so I have a pretty long stride, but I still don't even accomplish half of that even in a full day of theme park walking. That's about 120 miles for me.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ya that's a lot! We did 3 trips around the world last night at Epcot and my phone is telling me I did around 18k.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Has to be a typo for 24,000

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Has to be a typo for 24,000

Ya has to be, 240k steps is roughly 113 miles lol

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Yeah that was late night posting. I'd say between me, mom, dad - we each hit 22-24,000. It's part of my half marathon training for my next race.

Minor glitch - my dad's MB keeps screwing up. No problem with tickets or room, but it never accepts his PIN and he can't buy anything. No problem with mine or mom's and we are all on same cc and PIN. It's now been reset twice, thinking he just has a bad band. Epcot was good but really crowded, headed in boat to HS. Almost hurled on mission space orange - never had issues ever but apparently it was a bad idea for me. I was nauseated and clammy and sweaty and felt off for about an hour after.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Centrifugal forces are no joke. I can't really handle the orange side either.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I usually dont feel sick on rides, but mission space orange made me reallllyy nauseated.

Of course I went on it right after having dole whip with rum, so that might have been part of the reason

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Anya posted:

Yeah that was late night posting. I'd say between me, mom, dad - we each hit 22-24,000. It's part of my half marathon training for my next race.

Minor glitch - my dad's MB keeps screwing up. No problem with tickets or room, but it never accepts his PIN and he can't buy anything.

This is a good thing.. the sticker shock at the end is terrible and you will want to burn your magic band.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I really don't get motion sick, have issues with rides, cars, seasickness, airplanes, etc.

All of that said, the closest I've gotten to motion sickness, is on Mission Space Orange. It's an intense ride.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I've done flipping rides and spinny rides and never a problem. Once we started spinning I tried to stay calm, but when it went flipping out of control - I held it back. Definitely shook me for awhile.

And I really like HS. I'm more into the magic and I love that about here. Epcot definitely lacks the magic, but it's still cool. Parents loved SOARIN' and I'm in line for Tower of Terror. Crowd seems lowest here but WDWLines is showing same level as rest of parks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tower of Terror is one of the best rides on Disney property.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I feel like this thread is my live blog of Disney right now. ToT was excellent. Probably the best "experience" with theming and surprise so far. Technically I did four parks today - Epcot, HS, epcot, and back in MK to end the night...mainly so I could sit here and charge my phone in the park next to Rapunzel's tower. Thanks to helpful CMs, I've found my favorite resting spot.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Rapunzel area is so nice, but I hate that the only thing it has is a bathroom. The lanterns and tower and even bathrooms look amazing, but she deserves an attraction damnit. Glad you loved ToT, it's definitely the best overall attraction at WDW.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mission Space has a max of 2.5 gs. Compare that to a real shuttle launch, which maxes out at 3 gs. Not sustained for nearly as long as a real shuttle launch, but it's likely the closest you'll get to a pile of explosives blasting you into orbit. The best part is always struggling and flailing to hit your switch during the acceleration.

Went to Food & Wine today. Made it to New Zealand, Australia, China, Germany, Morocco, and Ireland before I ate too much. Visit the Dominican section (it's about the size of a wine bar) to hear all the best drunken drama.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Yeah - the CM said "Rapunzel's bathroom" and I was like...that's an attraction? But I had walked through the area a ton and never realized it. Great rest stop. All that's left on my list is Space Mountain, Toy Story Midway, Kali RR, Safaris, and Everest. After hitting my AK stuff tomorrow afternoon, I can pretty much just coast through, with BoG lunch on Monday and breakfast on Tuesday.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You're going to love AK! This is the best time of year to go. And I might have lied last post, Everest might be my favorite attraction overall. Sit at the very front!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Mission Space has a max of 2.5 gs. Compare that to a real shuttle launch, which maxes out at 3 gs. Not sustained for nearly as long as a real shuttle launch, but it's likely the closest you'll get to a pile of explosives blasting you into orbit. The best part is always struggling and flailing to hit your switch during the acceleration.

Went to Food & Wine today. Made it to New Zealand, Australia, China, Germany, Morocco, and Ireland before I ate too much. Visit the Dominican section (it's about the size of a wine bar) to hear all the best drunken drama.

It's so weird when you then go to Kennedy Space Center and stand in line for their Shuttle Launch Simulation Experience and they have video testimonials all through the line from astronauts saying how awesome it is and how realistic it is and then it's just the same 50-seat motion simulator you see at Sea World except it can rotate 90 degrees.

Still go to Kennedy Space Center, especially if you haven't been there since they built the Atlantis exhibit. I went on the bus tour last month and since the pads are out of service for construction they go way out of the way they used to go - instead of stopping at a dumb little kiosk at an observation post they drive you right down the crawler track all the way to circle around in front of the SpaceX buildings and pad.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 18, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

E: double

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

(Still go to Kennedy Space Center, especially if you haven't been there since they built the Atlantis exhibit.)

drat straight, it's amazing. Completely teared up when I saw it. See the Saturn V as well, mind blowing stuff.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

drat straight, it's amazing. Completely teared up when I saw it. See the Saturn V as well, mind blowing stuff.

Same. It's also the only place you'll be able to touch an authentic moon rock so why are you waiting!?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
copped a mine train and a elsa reservation :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
KSC is a nice day trip if you are here for a week.