Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Caper posted:

and I've given up hope that they're ever going to explain just how Katana brought Ollie back.

They did explain it, it was just lame and a big stretch. Something about how he was only on the brink of death and was only wounded but never actually died, and she had some super powerful healing herbs that she used on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

bbf2 posted:

They did explain it, it was just lame and a big stretch. Something about how he was only on the brink of death and was only wounded but never actually died, and she had some super powerful healing herbs that she used on him.

But didn't Katana's husband explicitly say Ollie was brought there "so she could bring you back from the dead"?
It's whatever. I'm just having a hard time letting that huge disappointment go.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Caper posted:

But didn't Katana's husband explicitly say Ollie was brought there "so she could bring you back from the dead"?
It's whatever. I'm just having a hard time letting that huge disappointment go.

I think it's a possibility that he was speaking figuratively. Kind of like how Thea, though not actually dead when going into the Pit, is frequently referred to as having been "resurrected."

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Caper posted:

Exactly what I was thinking. She looked like Jack Skellington. It was gross.

Liked the ep, and it was good to hear Felicity mention that John still needs a code name. I'm already bored with Thea's arc, though, and I've given up hope that they're ever going to explain just how Katana brought Ollie back.

She threatened the makeup dept. and forced them to stop applying that wound. From there it was as simple as herbal tea.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

flosofl posted:

"So. Behind my back your spa-date was really digging up my dead girlfriend and crime-fighting partner, flying with her corpse to Nanda Parbat, resurrecting her despite the clear affect it had on Thea, and coming back with a Pet Cemetery version of the person she was. Do I have this straight?"

"Ollie, I'm not understanding why you're so upset! I'm going to stand over here and pout while your sister flies into an irrational rage and tries to kill you"

I like that we have at least a 50% chance of him just going :ughh: and rolling with it rather than throwing a pissy fit and spending the next four episodes emo as hell. I'm starting to like this show again, you guys. :keke:

bobkatt013 posted:

Do not worry they have a guy. He may smoke and is a complete rear end in a top hat but you can trust him.

nothing can possibly go wrong from associating with Constantine and all of our problems are solved forever

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Not being suspicious of Oliver being on the island and murdering people is fine as it's the equivalent of finding Paris Hilton on the island if she went missing. Who the hell would suspect her of doing anything? Immediately making her your armed thug makes it hilarious though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bad Moon posted:

Not being suspicious of Oliver being on the island and murdering people is fine as it's the equivalent of finding Paris Hilton on the island if she went missing. Who the hell would suspect her of doing anything? Immediately making her your armed thug makes it hilarious though.

I got the feeling it was more "uh huh. He stepped on a mine. Says the person that has supposedly lived on this insanely dangerous island for three years. Look you killed one of my guys, so you're clearly better than he was, welcome aboard"

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Caper posted:

explain just how Katana brought Ollie back.

The Mysterious Orient did it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hollismason posted:

Felicity CEO subplots pretty terribad.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

BrianWilly posted:

Laurel would fit pretty well in Supernatural what with her stubborn refusal to let a sibling stay dead no matter what the consequences might be.

(:haw:)

And then she'd die, because she's a woman in Supernatural.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Caper posted:

Exactly what I was thinking. She looked like Jack Skellington. It was gross.
Yeah this is why you don't bury people in sexy bustiers. That was nasty.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Senerio posted:

And then she'd die, because she's a woman in Supernatural.

No she will be okay, as she will be recast and then killed, for the second time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was Lance ever officially named police chief?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

zoux posted:

I think every other senior officer died. At this point in Star City, senior government officials is determined by mafia style succession.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

zoux posted:

Pretty sure he's been in charge of SCPD since the beginning of Season 3.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was the captain of that particular precinct but now he seems to be the Commissioner or Chief.

And yet still hangs out in that particular precinct.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Summary for Constantine's episode Haunted

poo poo, I wasn't expecting that :suspense:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

And yet still hangs out in that particular precinct.

Everyone knows every major metropolitan city on tv only has one precinct.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yeah, those 2 words change a whole lot.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Plots are getting started real fast this season.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
In order for that to happen in episode 5, this show is going to have to move crazy fast over the next few episodes. I like it.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

In order for that to happen in episode 5, this show is going to have to move crazy fast over the next few episodes. I like it.

Back to season 2 speed, I like it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Want this basically what everyone was expecting? I was at least.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

hi liter posted:

Back to season 2 speed, I like it.

Season 2 didn't get up to speed until 5-7 episodes in. The first part of the season was mostly farting around with with episodes like the doll maker and the so forth. Though once it hit it's stride, and everyone forgot about the beginning of the season.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

greatn posted:

Want this basically what everyone was expecting? I was at least.

I think its mostly that the article is calling him an "old friend" which may explain how Ollie came back from the dead after R'as killed him, but probably not.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I think its mostly that the article is calling him an "old friend" which may explain how Ollie came back from the dead after R'as killed him, but probably not.

What? Katana brought him back from not-quite-dead-just-really-stabbed. How did people miss this?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ville Valo posted:

What? Katana brought him back from not-quite-dead-just-really-stabbed. How did people miss this?

Because it was handwaved over between episodes and nobody's actually sure exactly what happened there, seeing as the production team just decided to make a gaping chest wound disappear. I wouldnt be surprised if they retconned it to be less stupid.

The chest wound and Ollie waking up an episode later from herbal tea is pretty much when I decided maybe this wasn't the great comic book show i thought it was. The So-You-Think-You-Can-Dance fight choreography afterwards cemented it when contrasted with the amazing poo poo Daredevil was pulling off. So far the stunt work has gotten a lot better this season but you still have a bunch of military mooks pirouetting around Thea to kill time as she makes her way to the next mark so the bad guy can do a sweet backflip:sigh:

zoux posted:

Pay attention better.
If the FX team paid attention better they may have applied the chest wound to the same place Ollie was stabbed a single episode prior. Or if the writing team paid better attention maybe they could have come up with a better explanation than magic tea, when a few episodes later that same magic tea simply just could not save Thea, who had a much less critical wound than a sword through the heart. Maybe stop holding grudges when you get called out for having bad TV opinions in other threads lmao? The back half of the season was stupid all round, there is no reason to defend it.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 16, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pay attention better.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Not liking how something was explained doesn't mean there's any likeliness to going back to a plot point from a season ago. There's absolutely zero evidence that anything happened besides exactly what we were shown - Katana used herbal medicine to heal Ollie.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ville Valo posted:

Not liking how something was explained doesn't mean there's any likeliness to going back to a plot point from a season ago. There's absolutely zero evidence that anything happened besides exactly what we were shown - Katana used herbal medicine to heal Ollie.

It was speculation. I do not work on the show and have no idea what the plot will be moving forward. Welcome to the discussion of a TV show. Did you miss the end of the sentence where I said "but probably not."? How did you miss this? I do not think anybody involved with the show has any interest in revisiting anything from season 3.

EDIT: I need a snickers I get spicy when I think about season 3.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 16, 2015

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Azhais posted:

Just waiting for his campaign slogan

My name is Oliver Queen, and I will not fail this city
Quting this for posterity.

Also, love the bump in action choreography this season. Less flips and more actual shooting of arrows, in S3 it was mostly swinging bows around like swords and it got real old real fast. Thea vs. Ollie was a nice showcase of "fighting styles as expressions of different personalities", something TV shows often struggle with.

Editing is still frantic as poo poo, but oh well, budgets.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I assume it's flashback material, since this is supposed to deal with the mystical somehow.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pizdec posted:

Quting this for posterity.

Also, love the bump in action choreography this season. Less flips and more actual shooting of arrows, in S3 it was mostly swinging bows around like swords and it got real old real fast. Thea vs. Ollie was a nice showcase of "fighting styles as expressions of different personalities", something TV shows often struggle with.

Editing is still frantic as poo poo, but oh well, budgets.

A lot of the big hits in Thea vs Ollie tended to be blocked by shelves and such which would then get knocked over. A bit annoying to notice, but I suppose if they're having trouble selling those parts of the fight it's a better option.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bruceski posted:

I assume it's flashback material, since this is supposed to deal with the mystical somehow.

I have no idea how John is going to wind up on that island, but goddamnit he's going to.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

howe_sam posted:

I have no idea how John is going to wind up on that island, but goddamnit he's going to.

Just wakes up there after one hell of a bender

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

howe_sam posted:

That's where they make his custom opium cigarettes.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
John just had a really bad day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

David D. Davidson posted:

John just had a really bad day.

"I'm tellin' you mate, last I remember I was down at the pub with Chaz downin' a few pints when those Chelsea tossers showed up and next thing I know I'm on an island with one hell of a hangover and not a fag to be seen."

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I'm thinking Katie Cassidy is either the sweetest, most hard-working individual or a total bitch, because these are the only explanations why after over a season worth of fight scenes none of the expert fight coordinators on the show dared to tell her how to hold the goddamn nightsticks.

"Uh, Katie, you don't actually hit with the... uh... no, never mind, you're doing fine, champ. :shobon:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I get the distinct impression, both from the latest episode and the earlier plot where Ollie lost his company, that the writers of this show don't know what the difference between an owner and a CEO is or what either of those roles actually are.

• Locked thread