Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Sudo Echo posted:

Interesting, I was looking at this part: http://turninconcepts.com/tic-5mt-linkage-update.html which has a fun fact on the page:

It's a 98 which has a bunch of random 99 parts on it as well since it was one of the last 98s made or something. Looking in the Haynes guide I've got the joint does not have the external return spring so who the gently caress knows. Time to get out the flashlight I guess. $50 is a big difference but it might be worth it to not have to drill out a rivet and press in bushings for me.

I would expect there is a spirng. You can probably get under the car without taking anything apart and see it. Might need a mirror and a flashlight.

The other option is to just get a replacement oem linkage, but I like having stiffer bushings in that part. Mine are some nylon things I found on mcmaster, I think 3/8" ID which is a little smaller than the 8mm bolt that goes through them so I had to drill them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wow, I didn't even think of the backup camera when looking at head units. All of Crutchfield's installation kits say I lose basically everything but steering wheel controls. Yowza.

e: Or is that stuff built into the head unit?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 14, 2015

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The cushion inside of my seat on the side bolstering has split, exposing a structural bar that I can feel through the fabric. Is this type of thing covered under my warranty?

si
Apr 26, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Wow, I didn't even think of the backup camera when looking at head units. All of Crutchfield's installation kits say I lose basically everything but steering wheel controls. Yowza.

There's of course ways, it's just more work, more adapters, etc.

This guy is kinda the expert in it all: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=36208128&postcount=9

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Considering aftermarket headunits have most that bullshit built in, all you really care about is steering wheel control compatible and does it match the dash opening.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Many of those features(bluetooth, sat radio, additional inputs) are often integrated into the head units; you'll just need to find a way to get everything else(steering wheel controls, aux/usb inputs already in the vehicle, cameras, etc) wired in.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ahhh ok, gotcha. Thanks dudes!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FogHelmut posted:

The cushion inside of my seat on the side bolstering has split, exposing a structural bar that I can feel through the fabric. Is this type of thing covered under my warranty?

Depends if your dealer likes you.
If not, an upholster can fix it for a surprisingly little amount of money.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Is there anything I should do to "break in" my new WRX after I get it? Anything I should do or not do for the first 3000 miles, for example? I don't think there is anything, but I figured it would be best to ask.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Read the manual.

It says don't go over 4k RPMs unless it's an emergency and don't do any hugely long trips where your RPMs stay constant for a long period of time.

Now, if that's actually something you feel you have to worry about is up to you. I did it, but I had quite a few mechanically inclined people laugh at me.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Internet Explorer posted:

Read the manual.

It says don't go over 4k RPMs unless it's an emergency and don't do any hugely long trips where your RPMs stay constant for a long period of time.

Now, if that's actually something you feel you have to worry about is up to you. I did it, but I had quite a few mechanically inclined people laugh at me.

If running it in was stupid then why do so many tuners have run in tunes?

It's not like you have to go out of your way to do it unless you have to travel on the highway for a long amount of time, during daily driving when do you even go over 4k? Sounds like it'd be easy to do perfectly unintentionally

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

If running it in was stupid then why do so many tuners have run in tunes?

It's not like you have to go out of your way to do it unless you have to travel on the highway for a long amount of time, during daily driving when do you even go over 4k? Sounds like it'd be easy to do perfectly unintentionally

Not being mechanically inclined, I suppose "run in tunes" would change the RPMs as needed? And without having my manual in-front of me I'm pretty sure it says not to dyno it in the break-in period either.

Again, I'm not saying you can't. I know jack poo poo about cars. However, the manual says to do it this way and unless you're really sure of yourself or the advice you're getting I don't see why you wouldn't follow the recommendations from the manufacturer.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Not being mechanically inclined, I suppose "run in tunes" would change the RPMs as needed? And without having my manual in-front of me I'm pretty sure it says not to dyno it in the break-in period either.

Again, I'm not saying you can't. I know jack poo poo about cars. However, the manual says to do it this way and unless you're really sure of yourself or the advice you're getting I don't see why you wouldn't follow the recommendations from the manufacturer.

I'm fairly sure all they do is tune it to make less power for x amount of kms and tell you not to thrash it for a while.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was learning how to drive stick while breaking in my engine and experienced all kinds of rpms and everything is okay. :iiam:

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Well, since I won't have it until early December at the latest, I guess I'll check the manual then. In the meantime, I might stop in and talk to their techs. The service department at the dealership I bought it from is apparently made up of Subaru guys who have been working on them since the 1970's and are specialized in the performance side of their cars.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
I'm a fan of changing out oil on a fresh motor around the 500-1000mi mark, then following regular intervals from there. With or without UOA, it's peace of mind for me.

Just do your best to vary rpms, stay out of boost for the initial miles, or drive it like you stole it if none of this matters to you, just change it up.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
05 92x here. I've noticed the car gets really jerky under ~2k rpm. This normally happens under two conditions: when I'm starting from a dead stop and let off the gas pedal (typically in 1st and 2nd gear), or when I'm slowing down, coming to a stop but still giving it some gas (2nd gear). So basically when I'm loving with the gas pedal at really low speeds, the car kinda jerks back and forth.
It *seems* to have gotten a bit worse as it's gotten colder, but that's more of a hunch that I have no way of confirming. Also, the last time I drove or owned a stick car before this was 9 years ago...is this something normal that I'm just not remembering? Just poor driving habits?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My WRX does the same. It's pretty impossible to drive at a constant 12mph without it jerking the whole time.

e: jerking it the whole time

si
Apr 26, 2004
Lift off gas progressively/smoothly down to speed, don't just lift off.

Otherwise, push in clutch pedal.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

It's also kind of a the nature of having an oversquare engine and a lot of rotating mass in the AWD system. lovely motor/trans mounts doesn't help either, it's really bad on mine. Once I get around to replacing all that 15+ year old rubber I hope it's better.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So I've been trying to keep my eye out for a cheap catted down pipe that had a good design. There's a Cobb locally for $200 that's a year old. Any reason not to pull the trigger?
The taper at the end is a bummer and its SS as I recall so I can't just cut and mig it.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 16, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Depends on the rest of your exhaust. That has a stock donut gasket on the end of it, not a 3" flat flange. Although for $200 you can just pay someone to weld on a new one if you want.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Sounds like it'd be easy to do perfectly unintentionally

Ditto. I frequently go downhill using the engine break (in first gear), and I've never seen the rpm exceed 4k. '12 Outback.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, you all drive like a bunch if grandmas. Really, why buy a WRX if you're never going to go above 4k RPMs?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Well, you all drive like a bunch if grandmas. Really, why buy a WRX if you're never going to go above 4k RPMs?

I live next to a police station...

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I always bounce off the rev limiter in the McDonalds drive-thru and when I peel out of the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Naked Bear posted:

I always bounce off the rev limiter in the McDonalds drive-thru and when I peel out of the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Are you sure that isn't your cholesterol count

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Petite Dinklage posted:

Are you sure that isn't your cholesterol count
Well, geez, at least I wait to park in the spot right next to the drive-thru. I'm not a savage!

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Since I am getting a Subaru and want to be a total loving cliche: I am getting a kayak soon and am looking for a good multi-use rack for the top. Anyone have any input on brands and styles? This will be my first car rack, and I have no idea what to look for for a 2016 WRX.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007

Petite Dinklage posted:

Since I am getting a Subaru and want to be a total loving cliche: I am getting a kayak soon and am looking for a good multi-use rack for the top. Anyone have any input on brands and styles? This will be my first car rack, and I have no idea what to look for for a 2016 WRX.

Unless they added a roof rack as an option for the '16s, the only way youre getting a roof rack is by drilling some holes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TheFargate posted:

Unless they added a roof rack as an option for the '16s, the only way youre getting a roof rack is by drilling some holes.

Roof racks are not roof rails.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Petite Dinklage posted:

If you are going to be kayaking in calm waters (not ocean), don't need a lot of cargo space inside the kayak, and are looking for a kayak that requires less storage space, there's also the Oru kayak. I don't know poo poo about kayaking, so I can't comment on safety.

mudstone
Jul 30, 2015
i also want a rack for my 15 legacy... but subaru doesn't make one and the one's i've seen look a bit janky.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007

nm posted:

Roof racks are not roof rails.

Do those not require holes with which to mount?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I've seen some of the newer WRX's with the window/door mounted rails. Also, I've seen some dummies drilling into their roofs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TheFargate posted:

Do those not require holes with which to mount?

No, they'll mount in the door jams. Pretty common.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007

nm posted:

No, they'll mount in the door jams. Pretty common.

Then i stand corrected.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So last February I dropped my key into a river and it was in there for quite a while (for an electronic device) but still works. It still does work, but i think the water may have stuffed the battery up or something because I replaced it not long before I went and its already dying, but the screw holding the key together rusted and I tried to turn it and broke off the middle of the head. As in, the head of the screw is still attached, but it's shaped like an icecream cone and I can't undo it.

What do?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So last February I dropped my key into a river and it was in there for quite a while (for an electronic device) but still works. It still does work, but i think the water may have stuffed the battery up or something because I replaced it not long before I went and its already dying, but the screw holding the key together rusted and I tried to turn it and broke off the middle of the head. As in, the head of the screw is still attached, but it's shaped like an icecream cone and I can't undo it.

What do?

A small screwdriver and a drop of superglue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
How accurate are the average fuel consumption stats the factory gives out and what the onboard computer gives? I recently bought a 2007 hatchback impreza and the onboard computer shows about a 9.4 l/100km(factory stats are 8.6)average. After running through a full tank trying to be as economic as possible and driving mostly on highways im calculating a 12-13l/100km which seems a bit excessive. Should I be worried?