Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Literally you get banned once a month; somehow you missed september, I guess you were slinging those pizzas and pretending to gently caress your latina manager to only post 3 LMAO livejournal posts a day and you slipped under the goddamn radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Also I google image searched and found that same picture of Costa Rica -- what was your thought process?

"Yeah.. no not these other waterfall pictures. This one, 520x242, fasttech.com.. Snorkelwhacker posted this on the same site I buy my off-brand e-cigs; I don't know if Snorkelwhacker actually lives in Costa Rica, but man that sure is beautiful. This will really drive home how I good I have it here. LMAO"

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lamp I'm not even going to respond. Life is good.

Waiters don't deserve poo poo. BOH wins.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

You know what, gently caress it. There's only one way to get you to stop posting in this thread.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Alright, even though I think it's an important an interesting topic for the industry, I'll concede and refrain from talking about it. Proceed.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I showed up to work today to find out we were closed for dinner cause the hot water heater went out. So instead our chef gave everybody a bunch of ahi he had been playing with/combining with avocado and we ate it and then went home. Weird day.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
gently caress pheasants, gently caress hunting season, gently caress hunters and gently caress their little dogs too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know tipless is probably the future, but I couldn't live off the wages that get bandied about for tipless restaurants at the hours I work, and the stress of the hours I work mean I'm not willing to work more hours. But that's probably because of my restaurant. Somewhere decently run I could see doing more hours for less hourly money (especially if there was healthcare involved).

For the theory of "you'd get worse service if it weren't for tips" professionally speaking I don't think it would affect my performance, because I've never really noticed a correlation between service I give and tips I receive. I'm nice to guests because I take my job seriously, but I think if I worked any other job involving.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Skwirl posted:

For the theory of "you'd get worse service if it weren't for tips" professionally speaking I don't think it would affect my performance, because I've never really noticed a correlation between service I give and tips I receive. I'm nice to guests because I take my job seriously, but I think if I worked any other job involving.

Oh I didn't mean that service level might decrease because existing servers would intentionally put in worse work - that's crazy-talk, we're way too jacked up on-shift to give less than whatever we can - I meant that a restaurant that offers less earnings than elsewhere wouldn't be able to attract the best talent in the first place.

ps: I am glad the thread is back

Murkyhumor
Jul 24, 2006

This is Not a Pipe.
Fun Shoe
Getting in my PTO before November hits and buttfucks us.

I have like 10 days to use up or else they have to pay me out, which is against company policy. Does it make me broken that I would rather just be paid out and work the hours?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Turkeybone posted:

Alright, even though I think it's an important an interesting topic for the industry, I'll concede and refrain from talking about it. Proceed.

what the gently caress

keep this loving thread closed jesus christ

un-respect knuckles

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

mindphlux posted:

un-respect knuckles

is that what the kids are calling a punch these days? loving SJWs

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Murkyhumor posted:

I have like 10 days to use up or else they have to pay me out, which is against company policy. Does it make me broken that I would rather just be paid out and work the hours?

I'd do the same thing. I'm also potentially broken and the place goes to hell when I'm not there. I'm pretty sure there'd be a fire if I took the paid week I'm getting at a year. That or someone would get murdered.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Turkeybone posted:

gently caress that, its the industry thread, not the "DONT TAKE MAH TIPS!!!!" thread.

Our F&B director read that article and wants to try and implement it at our hotel. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I just read it out of interest, because it sums up Australia, no tipping, higher wages and more expensive for customers.
Good restaurants here still get customers and do OK, though it's going to be hard in the US to be one of the few restaurants with higher prices, vs lower prices and leaving an optional tip/amount.

What really blew my mind though was them saying if they get rid of tipping, they lose a lot of money on free tax breaks (over a million in their case). Talk about the system working against fair wages!
Also the problem that rent is often based on business turnover, so that will go up too.
I suppose if a lot of the bill is drinks and someone usually tips 20%, and the restaurant only raises drinks by 10% for increased wages cost, they might have something to promote.
But yeah, I agree with that restaurant owner, it shouldn't be that hard a sell if they have increased prices for ingredients (organic, local, ethically farmed, sustainable etc) and sold that reason in the past; why not "we look after our kitchen staff so they want to feed you" as a reason to raise prices?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 16, 2015

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Fo3 posted:

I just read it out of interest, because it sums up Australia, no tipping, higher wages and more expensive for customers.

Will it really be more expensive in practice though? I mean just because the price on the menu doesn't include service that doesn't mean that the vast majority of customers actually won't bear that cost anyway. It wouldn't actually surprise me if US restaurant customers actually overpay for service at many popular restaurants today, compared to what they would pay if a reasonable salary for service staff was included in the menu prices to start with. Some servers will probably have to take a paycut, but income levels will be less volatile and more uniform across restaurants.

Turkeybone posted:

You didnt visit without consulting the thread??? For shame.

I did consider it, of course, but when I was about to leave GWS was in the middle of the silly GBS shitposting phase, so I couldn't be bothered and did my own research. I did end up eating pretty well in the end, so I'm happy. The Breslin and Gramercy Tavern I especially enjoyed.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 16, 2015

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Fo3 posted:

But yeah, I agree with that restaurant owner, it shouldn't be that hard a sell if they have increased prices for ingredients (organic, local, ethically farmed, sustainable etc) and sold that reason in the past; why not "we look after our kitchen staff so they want to feed you" as a reason to raise prices?

There are a bunch of restaurants/bakeries here that talk about how they provide their staff with a living wage/full benefits, in addition to blah blah organic-local-sustainable, and it legitimately makes me to go those places significantly more often than to other places (it helps that I know people that work at them who confirm that they're not full of poo poo).

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

DekeThornton posted:

Will it really be more expensive in practice though?
Did you read the article?
Prices will go up by around 30% or more they think. For the people used to tipping 20%, it will still go up ~10%.
The whole reason for it is to pay BOH staff more, not just make FOH break even with the current tipping system, so prices needs to go up.

Other reasons why it will go up is in my post, increasing prices to increase wages brings up other problems. For example it means more dollars going through the register, meaning more increased costs, like higher rent because that's based on turnover. Also banks and credit card companies charge businesses a % of sales. More money "on the books" going through the till means more money for the banks the restaurant now has to cover the % of what would have been a tip amount that is now a meal charge amount. E: Badly phrasing this here, but for example: get rid of tips, increase price 30%. But the restaurant would only get 27-28% of that 30%. So they are going to have to raise prices 2-3% more than they need to just for the banks share.

They also mention there's a huge tax break (worth ~$1m) they will lose if getting rid of the FOH tipping system.
I'm not sure if that alludes to payroll tax (the more you pay employees, the more you got to pay taxes on it, company tax due, not the tax that employees pay which is an issue for FOH employees that cheat the system right now as well - they may want more than $9 or whatever). So yeah, I'm not sure they meant that or there's some other tax loophole when paying FOH $3/hr and them relying on tips)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 16, 2015

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Fo3 posted:

Did you read the article?
Prices will go up by around 30% or more they think. For the people used to tipping 20%, it will still go up ~10%.
The whole reason for it is to pay BOH staff more, not just make FOH break even with the current tipping system, so prices needs to go up.

Well, the reason for that seems to be not because of a move away from tipping in itself but because Meyer seems to wish to raise salaries across the board, so his move is not only about moving away from tipping but about improving the conditions of restaurant workers in his restaurants in general. In restaurants that doesn't add those addittional costs the increase in prices should correspond more directly with the current service costs.

As for the rest of your post, I really don't know enough about US banking costs and labor taxation to offer a worthwhile answer.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 16, 2015

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

In an effort to chip away at some debt before my wife and I start a family, I'm looking to get back into the serving game a couple nights a week. Anyone have any hookups or know anyone in the Charlotte, NC area restaurant scene that could put a good word in?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Personally, even if we're going to transition to a tipless system in the long run, I think many people will find it much more palatable to have a flat service fee and no more open tip line on the bill. I realize there's a very vocal minority of people who will say "tips should be earned, not expected!" or "If you want real wages, get a real job!" but I believe that if you itemize it out, you'll minimize the complaints. Especially if it's well known before people walk in the door.

Of course, this only works in places that draw enough business to make it worthwhile for their employees, but that's a problem owners have already.

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

so after a test run on a sluggish Thursday, chef is throwing me on fry station tonight. this is going to be wild. owner basically won't let me get any training on the clock so I guess this is how it is going to happen.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Ah yes the old "training shifts are too expensive! Why isn't your staff trained better?" game.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Trial by fryer!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
No tipping is good. What is also good is not working in the industry. As much as I loved my restaurant I'm loving this new job as well.

I really enjoyed the culture in Ireland and the U.K. when it came to tipping, you don't. the bartenders and servers treated it like what it is, a respectable career they can make good money at. Customers treated them like professionals, not servants, and everything went well.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

In the front it house side of things it needs to go that way, because it is increasingly becoming a career for people, not just something you do for a couple years during/after college. The tipping system (and the traditional pay cut into management) really dead-ends the chance for advancement for FOH people in a lot of cases. Professionalizing the industry has to start with making the compensation more rational.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
One of the conversations we are having in the management meetings is that while this will lower server pay on the high end, maybe that's a good thing. Right now only career driven or Mediocre but reliable servers take the pay cut and longer hours to go management.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Personally, even if we're going to transition to a tipless system in the long run, I think many people will find it much more palatable to have a flat service fee and no more open tip line on the bill. I realize there's a very vocal minority of people who will say "tips should be earned, not expected!" or "If you want real wages, get a real job!" but I believe that if you itemize it out, you'll minimize the complaints. Especially if it's well known before people walk in the door.

Of course, this only works in places that draw enough business to make it worthwhile for their employees, but that's a problem owners have already.

While certainly not true everywhere, under California law anything labeled "service charge" has to go to the people actually interacting with the customer, i.e. the server. It would be illegal to give any of that money to the people in the kitchen. Service charges also fall under the same problem I have with the tipping practice, where most of my salary is determined by how many people come into the restaurant when I'm working, not how many hours I work.

One possibly huge problem with getting rid of tips is increased cost to restaurants during slow seasons. September is a universally terrible month for restaurants, I've never worked somewhere with a tip credit (as in, the restaurant pays less than minimum wage because tips make up the difference) but I imagine it's easier to keep more people on staff even during the slow times if you aren't paying them as much.

I think I'm just going to become an electrician or something, my granddad has an in with the union.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

the biggest problem with moving to a no-tipping restaurant idiom isn't, IMO, getting other joints to do so as well (though that is a problem and would likely require some sort of legislation, but I'm not American so your government institutions aren't familiar to me) but rather convincing the public to embrace it.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

What do you mean? People hate tipping. People hate the entire process of tipping. The only people who enjoy it are sociopaths who enjoy the power they feel over deciding whether their server should make a livable wage that night because they didn't refill their glass quickly enough.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

yoober posted:

so after a test run on a sluggish Thursday, chef is throwing me on fry station tonight. this is going to be wild. owner basically won't let me get any training on the clock so I guess this is how it is going to happen.

We who are about to fry salute you

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JawKnee posted:

the biggest problem with moving to a no-tipping restaurant idiom isn't, IMO, getting other joints to do so as well (though that is a problem and would likely require some sort of legislation, but I'm not American so your government institutions aren't familiar to me) but rather convincing the public to embrace it.

i don't think there's anyway to legislate against leaving extra money on a table.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Skwirl posted:

i don't think there's anyway to legislate against leaving extra money on a table.

If they can legislate against picking feathers up off the ground, they can legislate against leaving extra money on the table.

But seriously, eliminating a separate federally mandated minimum wage for tipped employees (so they become regular style employees with a regular minimum wage) along with a PSA campaign along the lines of "Hey, tipping culture is wage slavery, support businesses that can afford to pay their workers", would probably force a lot of restauranteurs to either raise prices to a sustainable level and enact a tipping-not-necessary policy, or tack a hospitality charge or some-such onto the bill. Nicer restaurants obviously want to attract more skilled waitstaff, so they would offer their employees more money (like any other rational business would do).

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No tipping is good. What is also good is not working in the industry. As much as I loved my restaurant I'm loving this new job as well.

I really enjoyed the culture in Ireland and the U.K. when it came to tipping, you don't. the bartenders and servers treated it like what it is, a respectable career they can make good money at. Customers treated them like professionals, not servants, and everything went well.

Im jumping ship this year as well. I sent out applications to 4 viticulture and enology schools. I'm hoping I can put my GI bill to use next year. poo poo has gone down hill fast here, I don't want to do this for even another year.

As for tipping, I think its the dumbest poo poo on earth. It came around during prohibition, and like prohibition itself, its gotta go.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Quite a few businesses - even in "the industry" - have "no tipping" policies. Apparently at McDonalds you can be fired for accepting a tip. If the customer leaves something on the counter, it goes into the Ronald's Children's Charity box.

I think the push towards a no-tipping paradigm is shorter than most people would think, and the real obstacle will be chains which have been getting away with paying servers $3/hr. If smaller entities switch to higher prices/no tipping, the chains will really start hammering "look at our low prices!" for the sake of attracting customers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

If they can legislate against picking feathers up off the ground, they can legislate against leaving extra money on the table.

But seriously, eliminating a separate federally mandated minimum wage for tipped employees (so they become regular style employees with a regular minimum wage) along with a PSA campaign along the lines of "Hey, tipping culture is wage slavery, support businesses that can afford to pay their workers", would probably force a lot of restauranteurs to either raise prices to a sustainable level and enact a tipping-not-necessary policy, or tack a hospitality charge or some-such onto the bill. Nicer restaurants obviously want to attract more skilled waitstaff, so they would offer their employees more money (like any other rational business would do).

Has anyone actually been arrested for picking feathers off the ground? Also you're suggestion of having PSAs that say "don't tip" would also completely gently caress workers in restaurants that only pay minimum wage. I do agree that the separate minimum wage should be eliminated, but I've also only worked in states that already don't allow that.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that tipping culture is pretty insane, but every single solution I've heard involves me working more hours for less money (or more likely working less hours for less money, since increased wages make it less likely for managers to anticipate rushes and schedule extra people). I think the best solution is probably a gradual one, eliminate the tip credit for restaurants (make them pay the same minimum wage), raise the minimum wage and tack it to inflation, then let restaurants decide for themselves whether or not to go tipless.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Murkyhumor posted:

Getting in my PTO before November hits and buttfucks us.

Same, I was offered a $1,000 payout for all of the overtime I worked last year because I couldn't find time to take off. I had kept track of my hours from when I took a salaried position and it worked out to be a pretty fair deal.
I have about 10 days to burn off before December of this year, I was able to find time to take about 6 of them and then two got clawed back because they fall during training for our new POS system. I'll probably end up carrying 5 days over into next year. I also get a 4th week of vacation time next year. Combine that with the fact that I work nearly every holiday and put in a bunch of overtime and I'll have 35-40 vacation days to figure out, no loving way is that going to happen so I might propose to my boss that I'll give up one week of vacation for a $1,500 raise. I'd much rather have the cash since my wife doesn't get as much time off as me so I just stay at home trying to keep busy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Secret Spoon posted:

Im jumping ship this year as well. I sent out applications to 4 viticulture and enology schools. I'm hoping I can put my GI bill to use next year. poo poo has gone down hill fast here, I don't want to do this for even another year.

Jumping ship kinda rocks. As much as I don't like parts of my job, and really miss baking, I pulled down double what I did at the bakery already this year as a computer janitor. That's after my health insurance doubled, too.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

bloody ghost titty posted:

One of the conversations we are having in the management meetings is that while this will lower server pay on the high end, maybe that's a good thing. Right now only career driven or Mediocre but reliable servers take the pay cut and longer hours to go management.

This is stupid backwards logic though. Why is management a pay cut? The idea that I make more money than the 45 year old guy with two kids who is a genius and a saint is totally absurd. In any event I think/hope no-tipping will eventually lead to more transparency and bargaining ability for FOH people and everyone else as well. If it's out in the open that bartenders and servers make x and that management makes less, they'll have to pay management more. Tipping only makes it harder for us to talk about how much we make and impossible to demand to be paid what we are worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

nuru posted:

What do you mean? People hate tipping. People hate the entire process of tipping. The only people who enjoy it are sociopaths who enjoy the power they feel over deciding whether their server should make a livable wage that night because they didn't refill their glass quickly enough.

Sorry for not responding, waited to get home as I didn't want to write this up on my phone.

I agree people don't like tipping; let's assume that we've found some way to, across the board, raise restaurant prices and put out the word that tipping is no longer... sought after I suppose is the term, as higher wages are being paid (and supplemented by higher food costs). With that in mind, why don't people like tipping? Fairly obviously its because: 1) they see it as an extra cost 2) they do not see it as part of the food cost - yet they do it anyway due to social and local cultural pressure largely. Now, provided that's a correct interpretation of how people see tipping, I don't think they will react positively to raised food costs - regardless of whether they make the connection with better wages for servers and no longer having to tip - the raised food prices will be seen as: 1) an extra cost, and 2) not part of the food cost when contrasted with previous prices.

Now let's assume that rather than magically rolling this across-the-board increase out all at once we instead gradually introduce consumers to the idea of raised costs of food vs. tipping - will they go for the mandatory increase, or the largely culturally obligated current cost, which is none-the-less voluntary? I think they'll go for the latter.

Skwirl posted:

This wasn't what I meant by legislation, I meant something as simple as upping the minimum wage everywhere, and getting rid of server wages. This would force restaurants to raise prices without making it an 'opt-in' scenario in which, I think the vast majority of attempts will fail if they aren't a niche market (ie: high-priced dining affairs).

I'm all for this approach for 2 reasons: it gets rid of the cases in which FoH staff jump ship due to potentially earning less under the opt-in system for other places that still include tipping, and more importantly, it helps other industries, raises the wages for all of the least-off earners in society, and allows for more consumer spending, which will only help this industry keep chugging along.

I'm also (as I hope I've been able to get across) not actually against the idea of individual operations going no-tipping - provided compensation doesn't drop for the people working there - and even then it's not an ideological boundary for me, I just think it'll lead to other systemic problems.

• Locked thread