Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Tourette Meltdown posted:

Stupid question but I'm doing the same MKAL and I've never done beaded work before.... do I have to string a thousand beads before I even cast on? That will probably put me off ever doing it again after this, haha.

You can either pre-string them or you can load them on with a crochet hook, like Sex Hobbit said. The difference is the way they lay on the project; stringing them on makes them lay horizontally, putting them onto a stitch makes them lay vertically. Doesn't really make a huge difference either way.

The only way I can think of that outright requires you to string the beads on is if the pattern calls for a beaded yarn over (a pattern I'm doing right now, Moroccan Days/Arabian Nights, uses beaded YOs for the edging), I don't think you could really put a bead onto that with a crochet hook without some serious smudging and I think it'd look really funny. You can just skip those though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironveins
Nov 24, 2007
They like you better framed and dried.
I'm sure this has been asked and answered multiple times already but what do you folk use for blocking mats and where did you get them? I've downsized to a really small apartment so I'm looking for something relaitively inexpensive that can break down for storage.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Man I really hate working flat on circular needles. Don't have a choice with this stupid baby blanket though. Ughhh I should have started this weeks earlier than I did

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

ironveins posted:

I'm sure this has been asked and answered multiple times already but what do you folk use for blocking mats and where did you get them? I've downsized to a really small apartment so I'm looking for something relaitively inexpensive that can break down for storage.

I use those kids mat puzzle piece floor mat things. Like these. Mine aren't so bright, I'm living in Korean atm and we have some nice wood floor patterned ones, but they work like a charm in a small space. if you're careful you can even lean it against a wall.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

ironveins posted:

I have exercise mats like these (mine are 24x24, those are smaller).

They really are great for blocking! Less so for actually working out, though.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Hummingbirds posted:

Man I really hate working flat on circular needles. Don't have a choice with this stupid baby blanket though. Ughhh I should have started this weeks earlier than I did

In the same vein, I love cardigans but hate purling. Tempted to learn how to steek.

What's everyone doing for Christmas gifts this year? I like knitting mine but I should have started a couple of months ago.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I just did my first steek last week.

It wasn't so bad, although I hated doing the crochet bit (mainly because the hook was too big and I was too lazy to get a smaller one).

What I haven't done yet is pick up stitches along that edge. I am completely terrified it'll pull apart. :ohdear:

Edit: if I posted these exact pics in the thread already, sorry...I'm a mess this week and can't remember poo poo.

Bob Shadycharacter fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 10, 2015

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

[...]

It wasn't so bad, although I hated doing the crochet bit (mainly because the hook was too big and I was too lazy to get a smaller one).

What I haven't done yet is pick up stitches along that edge. I am completely terrified it'll pull apart. :ohdear:

Edit: if I posted these exact pics in the thread already, sorry...I'm a mess this week and can't remember poo poo.

I really like your colors! What is that going to be? I see where you're steeking and I can't picture in my head what would go there

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Gosh that's pretty. It kind of looks like a crochet provisional cast on, which I found quite easy to pick up from. Hopefully it will go fine for you too :)

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

You are so brave! Did you just watch videos to prepare or did someone show you? It always just seems like there are too many threads to be cutting, especially in fair isle, for it to be safe.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Just wanted to share with everyone that I managed to shove an size four bamboo knitting needle under my thumb nail.

That's all.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Wandering Knitter posted:

Just wanted to share with everyone that I managed to shove an size four bamboo knitting needle under my thumb nail.

That's all.

gently caress! Now I'm a little afraid to knit.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

That's all.

Jesus, Wandering Knitter, :nms: that poo poo :cry:.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I once managed to ram one of those little straight cable needles under my big toenail. Not that far, but it still hurt like a bitch.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

a friendly penguin posted:

You are so brave! Did you just watch videos to prepare or did someone show you? It always just seems like there are too many threads to be cutting, especially in fair isle, for it to be safe.

I am making The Dude, and I'm going to steek it using a Kate Davies tutorial because gently caress colorwork on the purl side. Also she explains it really well and I think the crochet reinforcement she uses looks a little different than how most people do it. It just seems super thorough.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

left_unattended posted:

Jesus, Wandering Knitter, :nms: that poo poo :cry:.

Everyone's going to develop a bamboo needle phobia with me, drat it. :colbert:

Stitch Bitch
May 19, 2005

Bitch I got that
:h:~fuckin swag~:h:

ackapoo posted:

I am making The Dude, and I'm going to steek it using a Kate Davies tutorial because gently caress colorwork on the purl side. Also she explains it really well and I think the crochet reinforcement she uses looks a little different than how most people do it. It just seems super thorough.

Keep us posted on how it turns out! I've got that pattern sitting in my queue until I have enough money to buy decent yarn for it. I'm also interested in your modification to do it in the round, because I agree that trying to purl and maintain a color pattern sounds hellish.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

Stitch Bitch posted:

Keep us posted on how it turns out! I've got that pattern sitting in my queue until I have enough money to buy decent yarn for it. I'm also interested in your modification to do it in the round, because I agree that trying to purl and maintain a color pattern sounds hellish.

I will! I am redoing the charts since I am also knitting it in stockinette (and I don't want it to be too stretched out). My wrists can't handle that much 1x1 ribbing, unfortunately. I was about to start, but my swatch is vastly different between knitting flat and in the round, and I learned this the hard way. Have to swatch again, blargh.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
*KRAMERS INTO KNITTING THREAD*

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Aw hell, I love Westknits but I really don't need another project to start.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Nooooooooooooooooo! (ohgawdIwantto).

e: *grumblemumble* and of course I bought it *grumble* :saddowns:

TastesLikeChicken fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 14, 2015

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

So I've never done a KAL and I've never made a shawl, but I bought this pattern. I am a cheap rear end so I bought some KnitPicks bare to dye.

I hope I don't hate this, but I love StevenBe and they sent me an e-mail about it and now I'm in so blargh!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
:woop: I finished my first shawl! I started on dad's hat, and went to switch to the larger circular needles it called for. The needle I set on my desk is completely gone...

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Hi guys, can anyone recommend a manly sock pattern that's also quite easy and would look good in self-striping?

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Personally I think intricate patterns with self striping yarn looks overly busy- so I generally prefer simple socks with self striping.

Search for these on Ravelry: Pin Striped Socks, Vanilla Bean Striped Socks, Vanilla Latte Socks. I think a waffle type pattern is pretty gender neutral and would work with self striping yarn- see: Blueberry Waffle Socks (DK weight but could be adapted for fingering as it's just a knit/purl texture pattern).

I also have these in my favorites for man socks, but they are better with solid or semi-solid yarns in my opinion: Business Casual, Bowties are Cool, Syncopation Socks.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I just got home from Rhinebeck. Pics here: http://imgur.com/a/FZKRC.

Didn't do too much damage, but I have no idea what I'll make with what I bought.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Fooley posted:

I just got home from Rhinebeck. Pics here: http://imgur.com/a/FZKRC.

Didn't do too much damage, but I have no idea what I'll make with what I bought.

Was that a dalmatian alpaca/llama? So cute! I love the spots.

I made a rug for my shoes!

Shoe Rug- In Context by effika, on Flickr

Ravelry link

why when I use acrylic do my camera skills suddenly vanish

I used the Lily Sugar & Cream rug pattern as a starting point. Whenever I look at the other projects in the pattern I get to see this poor thing. I don't know it's story-- what happened to its gauge? Maybe it's supposed to be art, like those glitch rugs. But I like seeing it in all its A for Effort glory.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Is there a consensus on the best double pointed needle set? I've seemed to have lost all of my smaller sets (:argh:) so I might as well take the plunge. I prefer wood to plastic/metal but I'm not opposed to a super lightweight metal set.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Another FO! Doesn't everyone have to do a Hitchhiker at some point?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I got the yarn for a hitchhiker and it somehow prolapsed into a yarn knot I can't begin to unravel. :smith:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Sex Hobbit posted:

Pretty!

I almost did a Hitchhiker for my current TV knitting project. I'm sure it'll happen in the next year for me since I love variegated yarn & most patterns aren't so hot with that.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

Sex Hobbit posted:

Oooooh, that is very pretty! I have not yet knitted a Hitchhiker, even though I have the yarn for it. Someday I will!

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

I got the yarn for a hitchhiker and it somehow prolapsed into a yarn knot I can't begin to unravel. :smith:

Oh man, that sounds hella fun. I would totally unravel that for you!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Hey knitgoons. I'm primarily a crocheter, have dipped my toes into knitting a few times, made a couple of super basic scarves etc., but I want to go further (WE HAVE TO GO DEEPER etc.) Can anyone recommend a men's apparel pattern that I won't horribly gently caress up as my first real apparel knitting project? I was looking at this because it is sexy as hell, but that would take a whoooole lot of yarn and it's a really big investment that I will probably gently caress up hard and be too ashamed to wear, it looks kinda tough. Looking into grabbing some of this stuff for material, nice and big so it'll knit up on my size 10 needles and I won't spend seven years doing one thing. Advice would be appreciated!

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 29, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Hey knitgoons. I'm primarily a crocheter, have dipped my toes into knitting a few times, made a couple of super basic scarves etc., but I want to go further (WE HAVE TO GO DEEPER etc.) Can anyone recommend a men's apparel pattern that I won't horribly gently caress up as my first real apparel knitting project? I was looking at this because it is sexy as hell, but that would take a whoooole lot of yarn and it's a really big investment that I will probably gently caress up hard and be too ashamed to wear, it looks kinda tough. Looking into grabbing some of this stuff for material, nice and big so it'll knit up on my size 10 needles and I won't spend seven years doing one thing. Advice would be appreciated!

By men's apparel, I assume you mean a men's sweater, because unless you want to wear a sweater vest, I don't know what else there is...

Sweaters aren't that hard, they just require a lot of time and patience. The most important thing is being able to knit with a consistent gauge in stockinette. If you can't do that, don't start a sweater yet. To make sure it fits you, take the time to make a 6"x6" swatch. My first sweater was 100% wearable. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/audsnico/mackinac-tank (no pictures of me wearing it though)

The one you posted is knit flat, which means you'll almost certainly be doing all the shaping with increases and decreases. If you're not already comfortable with those, use some cheap yarn and do some practice before you start with your fashion wool. Wool can get frizzy if you tear back too often and the increase/decreases are where you're most likely to make mistakes. The collar one that one is just a rib stitch, and either worked flat and sewn in, or worked by picking up stitches.

My main concern with this pattern as a beginner pattern is that there aren't that many projects/posts about it, so less resources if you get stuck.

EDIT: After reading through a few people's project notes 1) it looks like the instructions for the collar are to pick up stitches. That might be a little fiddly at the front, where there are overlapping pieces. You could also knit flat and sew it in, if you are comfortable modding a pattern like that. 2) There are actually short rows in this one, too, so you'd have to learn that technique. It's not as scary as it sounds. Also, german short rows for life, Wrap and Turn sucks. Also, this is why I read other people's pattern notes!

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cobblestone-pullover is the most popular men's pullover on Revelry, so lots of projects and posts to read if you get stuck. There's a couple rows of short-row shaping. The neck is much simpler to work, but also a totally different look.

If you're to into the garter-stitch yoke/funnel neck and just want a classic pullover with the striped yarn, pick one of the most popular ones with a design you like:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#weight=aran&pc=pullover&view=large_photos&sort=projects&fit=male

I've found the information The Principles of Knitting infinitely useful. It's got great advice for choosing projects, the process of working a project, how to measure stitch gauge, how to measure and modify patterns to fit your body better, importance of keeping records as you make a sweater, etc. etc. Also practically every other aspect of knitting.

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 30, 2015

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
As a crocheter-turned-knitter like yourself I'd actually recommend starting something smaller like socks before you get into sweaters. Socks have enough fiddly bits to challenge you and improve your skills, while still not being a huge investment in time and materials like a sweater. The Socks 101 article on Knitty really helped me making my first pair of socks. They're super chunky with worsted weight wool, and ugly to boot, but they're the first socks I ever made so I love wearing them around the house.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

No offense but if this is new to you, I think you need more info on gauge, yarn weight, and needle size. The pattern wants worsted weight held doubled, on size 10 and 10 1/2 needles. The yarn you linked to is aran weight, size 7-9 needles recommended, and you want to knit it on size 10 needles. Substitution can totally be done, but it would take a lot of math and experience to make it work. For your first sweater, find something you can make as-is (or sub only the yarn, only if 50+ people have already used the same yarn you want to switch to). There are a lot of options out there, and you can always make this one later when you have more experience.

e: I just saw it's also a single-ply, which isn't great for sweaters or anything else that gets a lot of wear

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 30, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you want a men's shawl-collar pullover, here's the one I'd do instead: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/brownstone When you're a beginner, you want something a lot of people have already tried, plus BT patterns are good and thorough. If you look under the "yarn ideas" tab, you can usually use one of the top 5 substitutes without thinking about it (but still click on those projects to make sure, and still check your gauge).

Sorry if all this is bossy. A sweater just takes a lot of time and effort, so it truly sucks when you go to all that trouble and it ends up being unwearable.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I definitely would not recommend the Cobblestone Pullover Dr. Kloctopussy linked. Garter stitch in the round looks ugly as hell with the jog. Even though are a couple of techniques to garter in the round I've never been able to do them and make it look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bibliophile
Feb 9, 2008

http://tincanknits.com/pattern-SC-flax.html

I'm currently making my second sweater with this pattern. It's pretty accessible and I've found that everything in Tin Can's simple collection is pretty great for people who have just started out since they use very basic techniques but still look super rad. Just make sure you have a tape measure on hand so you can choose the correct sizing.

bibliophile fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 30, 2015