Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

vandalism posted:

1.10 has worked great for me since I installed it and even better after I verified my cache. Tried that?

I reinstalled the whole game because it was buggy after patching. so yes.

Also when I opened the stash inventory (which btw is woefully small, and shared across chests, which makes no sense when the chest is that small) i could suddenly equip Roche again. :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Oh man that old lady at the auction who used to be lovers with Vesemir. :smith:

Also the wedding was loving A++ start to finish. Vlodomir and Shani da bes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zaggitz posted:

Also the wedding was loving A++ start to finish. Vlodomir and Shani da bes.

Should've had the option to give O'Dimm Olgeird's soul in exchange for Vlodimir's. Then he can possess the body and have hilarious adventures with Geralt. He was definitely the cooler brother.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Should've had the option to give O'Dimm Olgeird's soul in exchange for Vlodimir's. Then he can possess the body and have hilarious adventures with Geralt. He was definitely the cooler brother.

Was there a reason I missed as to why O'Dimm eating the apple tortured Vlodimir? Thought there might have been an aspect to his past or death that I missed. I was also unclear as to whether Vladimir went back to the crypt or if he suffered the "worse fate" (collecting his soul, I'd guess) that O'Dimm was threatening him with.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I've thought about going back to the crypt to see if I can find him there. He was cool as poo poo and I kind of want him around always

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

I happend to do a New Game Plus with a save that had Vlodomir in Geralt's body and in the New Game Geralt still walked around like he was possesed by Vlodomir. Even had the Herald instead of the Witcher Medallion.

Turk fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 16, 2015

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Might wanna spoil that friend.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The boss fights so far in NG+ Death March Hearts of Stone are ridiculously hard compared to the ones in the main game. I'm a few levels over the suggested level, and I've got fully mastercrafted gear, and on the first two (the monster in the sewer and the mage on the beach) I must've reloaded a dozen times or more before I finally nailed it.

The sewer monster wasn't too bad, just tricky, but the mage was entirely bullshit - immune to crossbow, bombs and igni and when engaged in melee immediately teleports several metres away or turns into a vortex of sand that immediately breaks Quen AND takes off half my health on the first hit. Then, if I don't have the skill that reduces damage when dodging/rolling or you don't roll away, then it takes off the second half of my health. In less than a second. And this is after taking down the half a dozen or so regular guys that are protecting him. If you do manage to engage in melee, you'll get one, maybe two hits in max before he Aards you away and resumes his teleporty poo poo. Seems the only way to win this fight is to Upgrade heavy attack as much as you can, keep Quen on all the time, and spam Axii at him until you're close enough to hit. Whack with one strong attack then back off. Repeat until dead. Not a fun way to win a fight. Thankfully the fight at the burning manor was a lot more entertaining, lots of dodging, rolling, different signs and mixing up attacks. Still very tough, but at least it was fun.

Just finished the wedding before going to bed last night and that made up for all the pain I endured getting to that point.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Zaggitz posted:

Wonder what the dialog options is if you play the DLC before finishing that part of the main quest.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

ymgve posted:

Wonder what the dialog options is if you play the DLC before finishing that part of the main quest.

Yeah I wondered that, but I'm not sure you'd actually be able to be high enough level to play the dlc before reaching that part of the main quest given that most people finish the entire game in the 30-35 range and the dlc quests are level 32.
Shame, because it would be interesting.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

ymgve posted:

you tell her he's fine and explain to her that he hasn't been romantically involved with anyone as far as you knew. She then tells you to not say anything to vesemir next time you see him because she already opened up her old wounds, so spare him his.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't played for a few months, and the first thing I did (well actually the first was to check how you do the horseback slow-mo attack again) was to do the Cursed chapel side-quest, and boy, things are getting off on a cheery note... after reading the final message, that is.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Lufiron posted:

you tell her he's fine and explain to her that he hasn't been romantically involved with anyone as far as you knew. She then tells you to not say anything to vesemir next time you see him because she already opened up her old wounds, so spare him his.

Also Even though she asks you not to you can still talk to Vesemir and tell him you met her. Geralt asks if he plans to go see her and he says maybe once it's over and everything's calmed down. Makes what eventually happens even sadder. :(

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Is there a new romance or fling in Hearts of Stone?

And if you're already with Yennefer in Wild Hunt, does it affect that?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is there a new romance or fling in Hearts of Stone?

And if you're already with Yennefer in Wild Hunt, does it affect that?

You can have a fling with Shani. I did HoS after completing the main game and ending up with Yennefer, and it seemed to have no impact on the DLC

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Just started dlc ooh boy this repetitive 1 on 8 high level bullshit is not fun. Not gonna bother with any other dlc after this boring poo poo.

Does the advertised 30 hours or whatever of gameplay include these protracted fights?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 16, 2015

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I just started the game a couple days ago, and I've been reading some about signs in the documentation/wiki. But, it's kind of confusing because I've heard people say various signs are great/OP/terrible/nerfed. It seems like signs' effectiveness has changed a whole lot in various patches?

I'm interested in an offensive sign to help save some on repair costs and deal with groups of enemies better. What sign would be best for that if I'm going to invest an ability point or two, in patch 1.10?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

pmchem posted:

I just started the game a couple days ago, and I've been reading some about signs in the documentation/wiki. But, it's kind of confusing because I've heard people say various signs are great/OP/terrible/nerfed. It seems like signs' effectiveness has changed a whole lot in various patches?

I'm interested in an offensive sign to help save some on repair costs and deal with groups of enemies better. What sign would be best for that if I'm going to invest an ability point or two, in patch 1.10?

Don't stress too much about min/maxing builds and such, you'd have to deliberately try to make a truly lovely build. Repair costs are an issue early on but I think you'll find once you've leveled into the teens you'll be swimming in cash and it's no longer a concern.

The best investments are the alternate sign modes in the second tier. Most everything deeper in the Signs tree are really small and sign-specific bonuses, I think you're better off taking some Alchemy or Swords to taste after you get a few of the alternate signs.

Aard alternate fires a shockwave in a circle around you instead of a cone in front of you.
Igni alternate is a flamethrower effect that has a longer range and does more single-target damage (if you're successfully hitting for the duration) than regular Igni. Main drawback is you have to channel it, so can be interrupted mid-stream. Used to be really broken because it'd set enemies on fire constantly, still good but they nerfed it.
Quen alternate is a channeled shield that can heal you when you block with it. Strong if you like a more defensive playstyle and a good source of in-combat healing.
Yrden alternate is a lightning turret that does decent damage but more importantly makes enemies briefly flinch/stagger on hit. Really useful against fliers in particular but great all-around.
Axii alternate charms instead of stuns enemies

You can try out alt-Igni if you want but regular un-talented Igni is going to be better for large groups. I really like alt-Yrden, take the first two tiers of Yrden abilities for longer duration traps too. You can have a regular Yrden (slow zone) and lightning turret alt-Yrden both active at the same time (or multiple regular Yrdens) which is great for controlling the battlefield.

Basically I'd recommend taking your pick of the first two tiers of Igni, Yrden, and Quen abilities and then diversifying into swords or alchemy. Remember to equip your abilities or they don't do anything!

Edit: oops I forgot, the first-tier Axii ability Delusion is great for dialogue options. Usually during dialogue you can fight, bribe, or Jedi mind trick someone with Axii. There are only a couple occasions where you'll be caught doing it but 99.9% of the time it gives you XP and is the best way to defuse situations.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 16, 2015

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Doctor Butts posted:

Just started dlc ooh boy this repetitive 1 on 8 high level bullshit is not fun. Not gonna bother with any other dlc after this boring poo poo.

Does the advertised 30 hours or whatever of gameplay include these protracted fights?

Heart of Stone is the ten hour expansion and I think the first fight you mean can be entirely skipped.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well, reinstalled the game. Still skips frames unbearably. For gently caress's sake, CD Projekt, I thought the new patch was supposed to improve performance, not kill it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bugblatter posted:

Was there a reason I missed as to why O'Dimm eating the apple tortured Vlodimir? Thought there might have been an aspect to his past or death that I missed. I was also unclear as to whether Vladimir went back to the crypt or if he suffered the "worse fate" (collecting his soul, I'd guess) that O'Dimm was threatening him with.

I'm assuming it's because O'Dimm is a dick. Probably just wanted to eat a tasty apple while slowly collecting Vlodimir's soul.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Holy moley, I just learned what the gently caress was causing the performance hit: if you hit Continue instead of manually loading a save, it fucks everything up.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Christ, these new boss fights are pretty lovely on a full sign build, none of the signs even scratch them. I'm at the guy with the shovel only so far tho.

Matt141
May 3, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Christ, these new boss fights are pretty lovely on a full sign build, none of the signs even scratch them. I'm at the guy with the shovel only so far tho.

300% intensity Quen worked very well for me against him on NG+ Deathmarch, as his standard attacks don't deal enough damage to break through it in one hit.

Matt141 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 16, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Dongattack posted:

They all have weaknesses, but they are pretty specific. For example, toad boss can't jump if he gets yrrdened, but gains different attacks and for the caretaker aard kills his ghost buddies instantly. The difficulty may have skewed a bit high, but I think the boss design is overall a lot more interesting.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Dongattack posted:

You're a witcher not a wizzard.
He's annoying, don't get hit and kill the spirits he summon asap.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 16, 2015

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Mmm, yeah, i noticed the weaknesses, what i meant was more that they take kinda tediously long since i have to rely on un-upgraded melee swings. Considering trying out a hybrid build, any tips? Gear? Skills?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dongattack posted:

Mmm, yeah, i noticed the weaknesses, what i meant was more that they take kinda tediously long since i have to rely on un-upgraded melee swings. Considering trying out a hybrid build, any tips? Gear? Skills?

Signs - you really only need to grab your favorite alt-signs and going much deeper is pretty small returns
Alchemy - toxicity from known recipes so you can use a couple decoctions at once. I like the blade oil stuff as it gives you a significant damage reduction vs. that monster type as well as %HP damage from poison. Stronger mutagens.
Swords - the special attacks are great and I would angle for one of those, lots of decent stuff in here

oh and I haven't checked since the patch but the Griffin School talent was bugged and giving +20/s stamina regen instead of +20% which is NUTS. Spam signs, Archgriffin decoction for hard hits, Ekhidna for HP on using your endless stamina.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

About the quest Without a trace ... I absolutely LOVE the fact that the game withholds information, and you can't blindly trust the quest tracker. I knew there was something fishy about the couple, and thought it's weird that the game just sends me back like that. Glad I snooped around. (although my initial guess was that they're the werewolves prowling the area or something.)

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 16, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

About the quest Without a trace ... I absolutely LOVE the fact that the game withholds information, and you can't blindly trust the quest tracker. I knew there was something fishy about the couple, and thought it's weird that the game just sends me back like that. Glad I snooped around. (although my initial guess was that they're the werewolves prowling the area or something.)

Damnit I knew something was wrong but why doubt the (so far) reliable quest tracker ?
Thought it was a pretty lovely sidequest.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Krogort posted:

Damnit I knew something was wrong but why doubt the (so far) reliable quest tracker ?
Thought it was a pretty lovely sidequest.

Explore around the house with Witcher sense

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Explore around the house with Witcher sense

Found the trapdoor but can't open it after the quest has been turned in it seems.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Krogort posted:

Found the trapdoor but can't open it after the quest has been turned in it seems.

quest spoiler - They were cannibals. They killed and ate that poor halfling. The trapdoor leads to their murder basement

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

My game keeps crashing when I go down on Shani lmfao

The screen wont leave, it just stays on my screen and the audio/dialogue from the next scene plays out then the game crashes to desktop.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dandywalken posted:

My game keeps crashing when I go down on Shani lmfao

The screen wont leave, it just stays on my screen and the audio/dialogue from the next scene plays out then the game crashes to desktop.

Sounds like the exact same bug I had with the Kiera intro sequence a long time back, which had to do with the game being in windowed full screen instead of full screen. Maybe toggle from one to the other and see what happens?

Ferret
Oct 9, 2003
Soooooo, glyph words and rune words.

I'm thinking my swords/signs hybrid would gat a lot of value out of Mastercrafted Ursine armor enchanted with the Protection and Balance glyph words, and the griffin school talent?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

quest spoiler - They were cannibals. They killed and ate that poor halfling. The trapdoor leads to their murder basement

A shame I missed that, thanks.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The big fight in Iris's Worst Fear seems insane to me, like I got it done after a couple of tries but I dont remember any other bosses being able to kill me in one hit or stunlock me. Maybe its just cause I'm out of practice, I had more trouble in fights than I remember having when I last played.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I'm with you there, everything about this game from the movement to the performance to the graphics just feels worse than when I played a few months ago. Not sure if that's just because I played a bunch of great games since then or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

The big fight in Iris's Worst Fear seems insane to me, like I got it done after a couple of tries but I dont remember any other bosses being able to kill me in one hit or stunlock me. Maybe its just cause I'm out of practice, I had more trouble in fights than I remember having when I last played.

The trick is to parry him whenever he does a normal attack and hit him with a strong attack when he winds up for one of those red power attacks. That stuns him.