Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Khisanth Magus posted:

I've never really understood the point of "force politician to the left/right", because all you are accomplishing is getting them to say certain things during their campaign, it doesn't actually change anything they believe or care about,

Studies show that arguing in favor of a position you don't agree with increases your support for that position even if you're just doing it as an exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Today, on twitter:

Chuck Grassley's Wide Stance

joementum lives, forgets how twitter works

Weigel has his phone number in his profile though, so less "forgets how to Twitter", more "follows standard MO"

Never Tweet

Clinton today stated she liked Australia's gun buyback program, and said it would be worth considering at the national level here

Needless to say, the current freak out is she wants to institute completely different Australian gun laws because what the hell, the base still doesn't get enough red meat so toss them some more

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

lol as soon as Bernie has an ambassador killed to cover up an affair, you can talk.

So I'd just like to pop into this thread for a moment to give everyone a reminder that not all Bernie supporters are crazy. It's just a that few factors (his unusual-for-America political views, his opponent being a woman, his opponent having been a target of conspiracy theories for decades, ...) mean that he draws crazies out of the woodwork. It's pretty frustrating to me as a (hopefully) pretty reasonable Bernie supporter.

Also the only people who post in the RSF at this point are probably either legit mentally ill or masochists. So please don't judge all Bernie supporters based on them.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Vilerat scammed Hillary out of money in Eve Online and that's why she did Benghazi.

This would be a more subdued and proportional response then you see to current Eve transgressions

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you go back and look at the news immediately before and after OWS, it went from Democrats, including Obama, talking about Debt and Deficit as primary narrative, Grand Bargain etc., to wealth inequality and social injustice as the primary issue. It absolutely shifted the focus of elected politicians.

Strange, I thought the media was completely corporate controlled.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you go back and look at the news immediately before and after OWS, it went from Democrats, including Obama, talking about Debt and Deficit as primary narrative, Grand Bargain etc., to wealth inequality and social injustice as the primary issue. It absolutely shifted the focus of elected politicians.

I don't think it can be overstated how much our realities can change. The difference is that most people don't take notice and when things are different there's a desire to assume it's always been that way it's easier to handle.

The thing is though it will rarely be in the way predicted. OWS set out to cause some sort of populist uprising of the disenfranchised and that obviously failed, but it did something far more important and long lasting to American politics. It made being rich not an inherent virtue.

It may seem small, off target.and even weird, but that small little thing may yet change the world.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

pathetic little tramp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfkYfPNckIM

I'll never forget that horrible disaster that uh.... happened sometime, you know, with the thing? That uh... you know the thing?

(also jesus christ the man looks beaten down)

Very low energy

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

Very low energy

More like Low-T

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Khisanth Magus posted:

I've never really understood the point of "force politician to the left/right", because all you are accomplishing is getting them to say certain things during their campaign, it doesn't actually change anything they believe or care about, so I don't really see Bernie "forcing Hillary to the left" as accomplishing jack or poo poo when she can(and probably will) just ignore the left once she is in office, no matter how much Bernie "forces her to the left" while campaigning. I mean, hell, Hillary becoming president will even more defang the actual liberals in this country, because it will prove that an actual liberal candidate cannot win the nomination against an establishment candidate and also prove that despite that fact we will be willing to vote for the establishment neo-liberal in the general.

Not to say that liberals shouldn't vote for Hillary in the general in the very likely scenario she gets the nomination. I don't really know the solution. I just feel that this election is going to more or less prove the death of the American liberal as any kind of political force(admittedly its not like we've been a political force for the last 3 decades at the minimum anyways).

The point is you don't let up after the campaign. See also: hoe Norquist is hated by so much of the GOP but they don't dare cross him.

Let them hate and loathe us all they like, so long as they fear our reaction too much to not stick to our policy goals.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx
Others have said it before but yes, forcing politicians make promises and you can hold them to that, or at the very least extract something from them in the event they break the promise. We're seeing the effects of that right now in Congress. Tea Party d-bags promised more than they could deliver, and the base wants SOMETHING so they are settling for guillotining the "establishment RINOs." Also, all that money Sanders raises doesn't go into his pockets when his campaign ends, if he husbands those resources effectively he can use his campaign's millions as a way to prop up other leftists among the Democratic party. I'm not entirely sure that's what he intends to do with the money pile, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's on the short list of ideas.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Well, better late than never, Donny:

quote:

OK, I think I have a bigger heart than all of them,” Trump said during a television interview with Bloomberg, when asked how Americans can depend on him to keep them safe. “I think I’m much more competent than all of them. When you talk about George Bush – I mean, say what you want, the World Trade Center came down during his time,” Trump stated.

Bloomberg’s Stephanie Ruhle, who was conducting the interview, said, “Hold on! You can’t blame George Bush for that.”

“He was president, OK?” Trump replied. “Blame him or don’t blame him, but he was president. The World Trade Center came down during his reign.”

Woulda helped if he mentioned it on stage that day.

And as far as Jeb's response:

quote:

Freddy Ford, a spokesman for George W. Bush, wasted no time in responding to a question about whether or not the former president would respond to The Donald’s remarks.

“Thanks for checking, but definitely not,” Ford said Friday morning.

A Trump campaign spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.

Gee, I wonder why...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He can use it in his next senate campaign iirc.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@JebBush: How pathetic for @realdonaldtrump to criticize the president for 9/11. We were attacked & my brother kept us safe.

Jeb! needs some shut-eye really bad.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Don't look to closely behind the curtain.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Jeb! needs some shut-eye really bad. to loving give up this farce of a campaign already

I mean, gently caress, it's like he's not even loving trying.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Good news! police departments are starting to use 23andme for questionably accurate DNA matching.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Hillary Clinton's SuperPAC is probably funding Star Citizen on the side, yeesh.

If only this was in any way true.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Jeb! needs some shut-eye really bad.

It takes real effort to come off as a bigger tool than the Donald.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I thought the fda shut them down?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Fried Chicken posted:

I thought the fda shut them down?

Nope, they still have their genetic database. They're trying to license it to drug companies for research. You can still get tested but they're not allowed to tell you anything more than genetic mutations without diagnosing anything and your ancestry.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

This is pretty bad. If I remember correctly just how fingerprints aren't as unique as all that, DNA matching is not the slam-dunk jurors and common people think it is. Just on pure random chance, you start getting "duplicates" around the size of major cities, and it's particularly bad on a national level.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Mr Interweb posted:

“Thanks for checking, but definitely not,” Ford said Friday morning.

Probably should've told the person running the twitter.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Carrasco posted:

Probably should've told the person running the twitter.

It makes me wonder if Bush logged in and did it himself. The Bush clan seems to lose their temper easily when family members are attacked.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

VikingofRock posted:

So I'd just like to pop into this thread for a moment to give everyone a reminder that not all Bernie supporters are crazy. It's just a that few factors (his unusual-for-America political views, his opponent being a woman, his opponent having been a target of conspiracy theories for decades, ...) mean that he draws crazies out of the woodwork. It's pretty frustrating to me as a (hopefully) pretty reasonable Bernie supporter.

Also the only people who post in the RSF at this point are probably either legit mentally ill or masochists. So please don't judge all Bernie supporters based on them.

It's all good bro.

I mean I like Bernie more than Hillary but I also know that the realities of electoral politics and want to prevent the republicans taking the white house at all costs, and Hillary is easily the best choice for that especially since she's predicted at running up the score the most against the current republican field making retaking the senate/house in the 2018/2020 elections that much easier.

So yeah, I doubt you'll find Clinton people here that think that Hillary would somehow be better on progressive positions than Bernie is, but if you want to crush the republicans, see them driven before you, and read the lamentations of their bloggers like I do Hillary is the one to vote for.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

lol as soon as Bernie has an ambassador killed to cover up an affair, you can talk.

Hey there, poster from 1998 Freerepublic.com! Enjoy the years 2000-2005 because for you guys it's pretty much all downhill from there.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

VikingofRock posted:

The RSF BERNIE thread is just a fun zone for people to let loose. Anyone acting crazy in there is just that, acting, cause it's fun and something they can't get away with in a real thread. I basically just post parodies of Hamilton songs myself.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
It really helps my pick of Hillary knowing she's the GOPs second biggest boogie man.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I assume the biggest boogie man is Benjamin Ghazi?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Nah, they are desperate for him to win the nomination.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

greatn posted:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

greatn posted:

He's third. Obama's still first. Rounding out the top five are Abortion-givers and men doing men.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Don't forget EMAILS

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DemeaninDemon posted:

He's third. Obama's still first. Rounding out the top five are Abortion-givers and men doing men.

The Republicans have only kept the Obama-hate going for 7 years. They've been crazy about Hillary since the 90's. I think while the current hate is stronger for Obama she's got enough staying power she's number #1.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It will only take about 6-9 months after Hillary wins before Republicans are blasting Hillary as divisive and worse than Obama who would at least [token praise aimed only at making Hillary look bad].

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

From talking to my Fox News watching friends, Hillary hate is reaching record levels.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She will definitely be impeached over Benghazi or emails.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

foobardog posted:

This is pretty bad. If I remember correctly just how fingerprints aren't as unique as all that, DNA matching is not the slam-dunk jurors and common people think it is. Just on pure random chance, you start getting "duplicates" around the size of major cities, and it's particularly bad on a national level.

I don't know about fingerprints, but IIRC with DNA they only check specific markers (for obvious reasons) and there's a 1 in 6 billion or so chance of anyone on earth having the same as you. The chances of a screw up in the lab loving you over is infinitely larger than all the tests etc. being done correctly but you happening to have the same markers as the culprit. It's not random chance that produces the 'duplicates' but human error.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

evilweasel posted:

The Republicans have only kept the Obama-hate going for 7 years. They've been crazy about Hillary since the 90's. I think while the current hate is stronger for Obama she's got enough staying power she's number #1.

Hillary wins and she'll take over the first spot for sure. Obama might even drop out below 'women who enjoy sex' after a bit of President Hillary.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

euphronius posted:

She will definitely be impeached over Benghazi or emails.

Actually that's a good question. Can a Republican majority house, assuming they solve their current leadership problem, impeach a hypothetical President Clinton over something done before she was president?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

evilweasel posted:

It will only take about 6-9 months after Hillary wins before Republicans are blasting Hillary as divisive and worse than Obama who would at least [token praise aimed only at making Hillary look bad].

I'm genuinely curious what kind of token praise Republicans could give Obama.

• Locked thread