Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rand Brittain posted:

Reynard says "Everyone knew," so I'm assuming that if Tony didn't know he could have gotten the information from Donny or Anja if he'd bothered to find out.

Everyone knew she'd die. Everyone [Including Tony] knew Annie was consuming her mother to continue living. That's what he was trying to solve. I don't think everyone knew that they share the same spiritual identity for the purposes of necromancy, because if you know nothing about magic that seems a bit insane and if you know a lot you probably know that human spirits just diffuse into the ether with nothing anyone can prove surviving that process, and ghosts are those that never diffused into the ether in the first place. It's not something he's likely to ever wonder about before she dies, what with him trying his best to save her and already knowing some of the generalities of what she does, and after she's dead that's his best source gone. He knew just enough to be dangerous: Not enough to know what he wanted to do is almost conceptually impossible, but enough to know there are spirits and guides and an ether and all that business. Takes a special type of intelligent moron to blunder into an action that conceivably no one else in the history of time ever tried. Anyone that knew less probably wouldn't have had a place to start looking in the first place, anyone that knew more probably wouldn't try. Anyone that knew more *or* less probably would have twigged to how insanely malevolent that weird hell dimension he was in was right away.

reignonyourparade posted:

At this point I've really got to assume that Surma actively kept Tony away from learning about her own magical deal, because that's the only way he could not know all the poo poo he clearly doesn't know.

Conversely Annie may have been pretty young, but it seems a bit odd to teach her a little bit about dealing with dead people and the afterlife and not throw in a "Also we are a bit magic, if you get super mad you might light things on fire. Might want to get some help dealing with that after I'm gone!" or something. Can't be any worse than dealing with magic dead folks to a child's psyche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

reignonyourparade posted:

At this point I've really got to assume that Surma actively kept Tony away from learning about her own magical deal, because that's the only way he could not know all the poo poo he clearly doesn't know.

That's a distinct possibility as well. Knowing how weird he is about all that poo poo I could see her wanting to avoid him acting like more of a dick when it came to teaching Annie about her birthright and the duties it would entail.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Boogaleeboo posted:

Conversely Annie may have been pretty young, but it seems a bit odd to teach her a little bit about dealing with dead people and the afterlife and not throw in a "Also we are a bit magic, if you get super mad you might light things on fire. Might want to get some help dealing with that after I'm gone!" or something. Can't be any worse than dealing with magic dead folks to a child's psyche.

It's possible that the plan was for Anja to fill her in on that whole deal but Annie broke out into it much earlier than expected.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Pft. Ha ha ha. Not what I was expecting exactly.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh poo poo bunny is going to end up as a small bundle of charcoal.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Please tell me that what I think is going to happen isn't going to happen.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Jackalope Student is amazingly adorable. Be safe Jackalope :ohdear:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aww its her! :3:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Wolfdad's arm isn't looking too hot in that third panel. :stare:

Rabbit kid is taking this whole thing amazingly well and I'm not sure if that's going to turn out to be a good thing or not. :ohdear:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Wolfdad's arm isn't looking too hot in that third panel. :stare:

Rabbit kid is taking this whole thing amazingly well and I'm not sure if that's going to turn out to be a good thing or not. :ohdear:

On the contrary. It looks singed.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 1, 2016

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Ha, still chuckling about Bunny boy. Oh, now that she's in a murderous rage I do know who she is. She should have done that sooner.

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
Please don't be mean to the bunny :ohdear:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Please tell me that what I think is going to happen isn't going to happen.

Looks like Coyote's gonna have to dispose of another body! Not like the Court can't just cook up another one, right?

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The Forest Medium: instantly recognizable by her warm personality.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
See bunny boy isn't very good at recognizing faces yet and has to look into the Ether to figure things out. Annie wasn't giving him anything at all at first and it was really confusing but now he can tell it's totally her! He still thinks humans have some really weird greeting customs though. Why's she on fire? Will he have to do that?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 1, 2016

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Nah, the forest animals/faeries are all partially etherical. It's not about the absence of her anger or passion but rather her complete lack of etheric presence.

Although, I suppose it's possible that all emotions are etheric somehow? Jones can't interact with the ether and she is also emotionless.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Annie is starting to look very fire elementally, like she did in the Moss Ogre scene.

Also, its been commented on before but fire elemental Annie looking like Jeanne cannot be a good sign.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Jeanne is useful for certain agendas, as is a potentially-murderously-crazy tree wolf, or for that matter potentially-murderously-crazy fire elemental.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 1, 2016

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
That's an impressive lack of a sense of self preservation there Mr rabbit

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fried Chicken posted:

You forget that this bunny has died once already, and lived to tell the tale!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Fried Chicken posted:

What do you mean? The Forest Medium is a wonderfully nice girl! What could go wrong?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Whoa rabbit guy, read the mood huh?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
To be fair, the last time Mr. Bun saw the forest medium she was about five feet taller than him.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Don't do it, Bunny Boy! :ohdear:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I sort of expected something like this from the body language of the former Jackalope. What an adorable child. :3:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Ysengrin's dialogue this chapter continues to be the best, both in a writing standpoint and for Annie's development after her father's return.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I always got the idea that Annie absentmindedly accepted the medium position both as a gently caress you to the court and because she thought it would be fun times all the time. Wolftree dad is reminding her to do her loving job. She inherited bad decisions from her dad and a certain maliciousness from her mom.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

The moral of this story is that adults are jerks and teenagers have frontal lobe problems.

Also bunnies are pretty cool.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
The forest medium is supposed to be on fire! :keke:

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Blackheart posted:

I always got the idea that Annie absentmindedly accepted the medium position both as a gently caress you to the court and because she thought it would be fun times all the time. Wolftree dad is reminding her to do her loving job. She inherited bad decisions from her dad and a certain maliciousness from her mom.

I agree. We've rarely seen Annie actively trying to take on responsibilities and following through in anything other than an absentminded way, so it'll be interesting to see if she starts taking her new job seriously now that Wolfdad is reminding her that she signed up for it and she drat well needs to do something with that.

Wulfolme posted:

The forest medium is supposed to be on fire! :keke:

Just like the forest! In about 10 minutes.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
It's fine, Smitty's been carrying around a fire extinguisher for weeks.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

rabbit flambe :drool:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Rabbitkid's got such a :kimchi: face right now
Or he will have one, once Annie's sets him on fire :ssh:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
"Do your loving job" is a pretty good way of grounding someone who is going through some Emotional poo poo.

Also it looks like Ys is on fire. That's love.

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 16, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bunny boy is on a first name basis with Smitty, clearly he has good taste in friends and will be just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tangent from talking about the possible impending tragedy, but besides telling her to do her job, Ysengrin said that if Anthony hurt her he will "rend the flesh from his bones". That's pretty much the dad-est thing, "if you hurt my girl I'll kill you". Even if in this case he's talking about her actual dad.

Now, back to the main topic: Oh no bunny kid, please don't get hurt; you're too adorable and nice for that.