Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Oh it definitely matters in the primary. If Califoriia went Bernie (which is very possible) that would be huge. (Although I guess since it's so late it might not matter at that point.)

If you want to work for Bernie and are in SoCal I can connect you.

I'm in Norcal (Santa Cruz), but maybe I'll look into it a bit more. Calling swing states doesn't sound particularly fun or rewarding to me, but I guess if it would help maybe I should just do it anyways. Or maybe (as A Winner is Jew suggests) I'll look into helping out down ticket races instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, it would be better for the people in SoCal supporting Bernie focusing on down ticket races instead.

Especially when Top 2 makes the primary such an important race to campaign for here in California. Your progressive candidate not only needs to beat the establishment candidate, but most Republican candidates too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Malia got caught playing beer pong at a Brown visit.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you go back and look at the news immediately before and after OWS, it went from Democrats, including Obama, talking about Debt and Deficit as primary narrative, Grand Bargain etc., to wealth inequality and social injustice as the primary issue. It absolutely shifted the focus of elected politicians.

You're again ignoring that wealth inequality was part of the 2008 Obama platform and that he mentioned it at length on the campaign trail! As well in campaign ads, like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtREqAmLsoA

The Grand Bargain stuff only died because the Republicans were too stupid to take what they wanted and shot it down

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I think we need a congressional investigation into this. Maybe even impeachment for being a terrible father whose child drinks.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think we need a congressional investigation into this. Maybe even impeachment for being a terrible father whose child drinks.

I wonder which chucklefuck will be the first to convince himself that making GBS threads on the President's daughter would be a Good Career Move.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

God, being the president's daughter must suck sometimes.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

mdemone posted:

I wonder which chucklefuck will be the first to convince himself that making GBS threads on the President's daughter would be a Good Career Move.

My city was gone,

Dum dum Doo dat dat Doo, parunpunpumpumpum,

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mdemone posted:

Rush Limbaugh told the "What's the name of the Clinton's dog" joke on air back in the day. That was when the right wing media spin machine was really ramping up and they were just brutal towards Chelsea's appearance as an awkward teen.

I remember it because it really made my mom mad and she hated the Clintons.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fuckin' narcs.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mdemone posted:

All the ones that made a living off calling Chelsea Clinton a fat whore?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mdemone posted:

Just wait, it's gonna be justified with "YOU loving LIBERALS REPORTED ON THE BUSH TWIN GIRL DRINKING" (when it was an actual felony she got busted for and not some dude saying she was totally taking shots).

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Nintendo Kid posted:

You're again ignoring that wealth inequality was part of the 2008 Obama platform and that he mentioned it at length on the campaign trail! As well in campaign ads, like:

The Grand Bargain stuff only died because the Republicans were too stupid to take what they wanted and shot it down

True, but the fact that so few remember it, shows why a movement why OWS is so important. Because real change in the narrative comes from the people rising up and changing it, not from politicians.

Obama could have talked about income inequality all he wanted. It wasn't till a mass movement like OWS though that cause the media and the politicians to really pay attention to it though.

This is also why I'm very skeptical of the belief that a President can really change the narrative.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

All the ones that made a living off calling Chelsea Clinton a fat whore?

I was imagining some sitting Congressman receiving several new assholes during an hour-long Rose Garden presser, but I take your point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Polling orgs are starting to put out their official post debate polls.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Let's not forget the other Bush's daughter faking a prescription to try and get opiates.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Just wait, it's gonna be justified with "YOU loving LIBERALS REPORTED ON THE BUSH TWIN GIRL DRINKING" (when it was an actual felony she got busted for and not some dude saying she was totally taking shots).

Speaking of the Bush girls, this will always be the best thing ever reported on them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

This is a prime example of media bias. No Webb or Chafee in that graph. Why is the media trying to hide Webb and Chafee from us?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Let's not forget the other Bush's daughter faking a prescription to try and get opiates.

Oh like half your friends don't do that.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

zoux posted:

Oh like half your friends don't do that.

Well I am from Florida

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

greatn posted:

This is a prime example of media bias. No Webb or Chafee in that graph. Why is the media trying to hide Webb and Chafee from us?

Who what now?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

zoux posted:

That's a lot more like it. Those 82% Bernie online polls were ridiculous.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Zeroisanumber posted:

Fuckin' narcs.

Just like those fuckers who got to hang out and smoke weed with Michael Phelps and then took pics and ratted him out. You got to toke up with a loving Olympian you assholes.

Beerghazi is gonna sink Malia's political career.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rollofthedice posted:

Hillary's real win is that now everyone has shut the gently caress up about Biden.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Rollofthedice posted:

not as ridiculous as the people white knighting them on facebook right now

zoux posted:

Hillary's real win is that now everyone has shut the gently caress up about Biden.

Someone should tell that to loving NPR

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm a big fan of Bernie, and will probably vote for him in the primary, but I don't have an issue with Hillary. I'll vote for anyone that has the best chance to beat the Republicans.

The big issue I'm seeing is that a lot of Bernie supporters are going crazy over "HE WON THE DEBATE BUT CNN IS TRYING TO TRICK YOU OTHERWISE!" but I watched the debate, and both candidates did well. Bernie gave his usual stump for his hate for the billionaire class, but he didn't deviate much from that playbook. His foreign policy needs polish, and his gun control stuff doesn't inspire much either.

Bernie is attracting the brogressive crowd, basically reddit-reading lefties that like his income inequality stuff, but are quick to point out that all lives matter (hey black people, stop protesting, gosh, it's just ruining your movement), and that men sometimes get raped too. This is why I don't trust a single internet poll saying Bernie won.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Leroy Diplowski posted:

The fact that you guys immediately jumped to brings these things up and justify it proves that reporting on Malia is justified. You're proving 'both sides do it' works and is self-justified. Congratulations.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

I'm a big fan of Bernie, and will probably vote for him in the primary, but I don't have an issue with Hillary. I'll vote for anyone that has the best chance to beat the Republicans.

The big issue I'm seeing is that a lot of Bernie supporters are going crazy over "HE WON THE DEBATE BUT CNN IS TRYING TO TRICK YOU OTHERWISE!" but I watched the debate, and both candidates did well. Bernie gave his usual stump for his hate for the billionaire class, but he didn't deviate much from that playbook. His foreign policy needs polish, and his gun control stuff doesn't inspire much either.

Bernie is attracting the brogressive crowd, basically reddit-reading lefties that like his income inequality stuff, but are quick to point out that all lives matter (hey black people, stop protesting, gosh, it's just ruining your movement), and that men sometimes get raped too. This is why I don't trust a single internet poll saying Bernie won.

Um, what the hell is crowd sourced news journalism? What is that link?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The fact that you guys immediately jumped to brings these things up and justify it proves that reporting on Malia is justified. You're proving 'both sides do it' works and is self-justified. Congratulations.

Project much?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

No, we're saying that people will say that Malia is literally worse than the Bush daughters who committed felonies because she drank underage at a frat house.

It's not that we're pissed about it getting reported about, it's that it's just one more false equivalency in the sea of bullshit that is out current media.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Nah, the fact that we just jumped on that proved that reporting on Malia is not justified. If you're gonna report something a prez-kid did then it needs to be a felony.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Gun control is the one issue Hillary is foolish to go to the left of Bernie on that will hurt her in the general. Wish she hadn't used that as a wedge issue. Like take any Bernie position you want, that's like the one where you definitely don't go any farther left without pissing off a bunch of general election voters.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The New York Times got in touch with a few FBI investigators who are working on e-mail-gate angry about Obama trying to defend the party. The Times also politely likens the situation to David Petraeus.

Whoever it is is going around to news outlets to claim that Hillary is liable for 10 years in prison for the debacle but only the Daily Mail bit.

Drudge, naturally is having a field day about this.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Thing is asking who "won" the debate is a real poor question since winning a debate is subjective and depends on what criteria you are using.

This is also why pundits and the audience might have different views of who "won" as they are using different criteria.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

greatn posted:

Gun control is the one issue Hillary is foolish to go to the left of Bernie on that will hurt her in the general. Wish she hadn't used that as a wedge issue. Like take any Bernie position you want, that's like the one where you definitely don't go any farther left without pissing off a bunch of general election voters.

Oh no, the sea of gun hording lunatics will never vote for a Clinton now. :ohdear:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

greatn posted:

Sources please.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theblackw0lf posted:

True, but the fact that so few remember it, shows why a movement why OWS is so important. Because real change in the narrative comes from the people rising up and changing it, not from politicians.

Obama could have talked about income inequality all he wanted. It wasn't till a mass movement like OWS though that cause the media and the politicians to really pay attention to it though.

This is also why I'm very skeptical of the belief that a President can really change the narrative.

All it really shows is that OWS was capable of taking credit for something that already happened. It was after all the thing that happened later, the thing easier to remember.

If we switched the order of events, say having OWS happen in 2009 and Obama's campaign talking it up in the 2012 elections, then people would probably say Obama caused it go public.

greatn posted:

All the pieces of poo poo who are single issue gun voters jumped ship from the Democrats after Bill Clinton's first term at the latest, and they are never coming back. Stop pretending we need to appease them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nintendo Kid posted:

Not ignoring it, but matter of emphasis and political momentum. Obama wanted a Grand Bargain and was actively chasing the "deficit" narrative until Occupy changed the dominant narrative. After Occupy, he stopped, because it helped him realize voters, especially left wing voters, didn't actually give two shits about any of that and wanted something else instead.

Look at the google tracker for mention of terms like "deficit" and "debt" and compare with terms like "inequality" and "poverty." There's basically a swap in how often they each get mentioned in news articles right around the time Occupy happened, and it's because one narrative replaced the other.

You know who didn't run for President before Occupy? Bernie Sanders.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 16, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Not ignoring it, but matter of emphasis and political momentum. Obama wanted a Grand Bargain and was actively chasing the "deficit" narrative until Occupy changed the dominant narrative. After Occupy, he stopped, because it helped him realize voters, especially left wing voters, didn't actually give two shits about any of that and wanted something else instead.

You know who didn't run for President before Occupy? Bernie Sanders.

Occupy did not change the dominant narrative. The Republicans' refusal to bargain did. If the Republicans had been smart enought o take the Bargain then Obama would have kept on going on that track. Luckily the Republicans were too stupid to win!

I remember all the Occupy people whining about how the media refused to take their stuff seriously at the time everything went down, so it's really funny to see them try to take credit for it in retrospect - it was directly in opposition to what really happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nintendo Kid posted:

Occupy did not change the dominant narrative. The Republicans' refusal to bargain did. If the Republicans had been smart enought o take the Bargain then Obama would have kept on going on that track. Luckily the Republicans were too stupid to win!

I remember all the Occupy people whining about how the media refused to take their stuff seriously at the time everything went down, so it's really funny to see them try to take credit for it in retrospect - it was directly in opposition to what really happened.

I was saying the same thing at the time that I'm saying now. I remember people trying to claim otherwise at the time and I disagreed with them then as well.

I think you're confusing contemporaneity with causation. The republicans had refused to bargain at other points in time and it never made a difference in the narrative any of those other times, and there's no especial reason to think it did then, either.

• Locked thread