Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Rouncer posted:

I thought skill determined the amount you got, not the type of reward. Skill 1 on Yavin gets one whatever the hell is the highest level thing for Bio from a node while a 500 skill gets ten. Skill 500 goes to Korriban and gets 20 green goo while the skill 100 gets 3-4 and the skill 1 gets 1. Something like that.

As I remember it is you can farm whatever mat is equivalent to your skill anywhere. The higher your skill the more you'll get from a node within its "tier" I think, but all crafting recipes for leveling are now free and unlocked. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Edit: rereading that it sounds like low level mats will be rarer to see stockpiled to come by but if everyone is expected to hit level 50ish in a couple days I guess that doesn't mean much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So they're talking about how KOTFE is going to be episodic; has there been any info on how long these chapters are going to be and when the story will be wrapped up? If we get 9 chapters in an expansion-sized package, does that mean each chapter will be roughly the equivalent of a planet in the base game?

I would hate to be strung along for six months of subscriber fees, I would probably just cancel after I finish the story content and resubscribe when it's done if it's that long or longer

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So they're talking about how KOTFE is going to be episodic; has there been any info on how long these chapters are going to be and when the story will be wrapped up? If we get 9 chapters in an expansion-sized package, does that mean each chapter will be roughly the equivalent of a planet in the base game

I believe they said each Chapter should take about an hour.

Bioware should find a way to do a pre-load for big patches like Star Trek Online does. It downloads the patch files into a separate folder, and when patch day comes it just gets copied over.

Another neat thing STO does, is if your Test Server is up to date, it copies the files from there.

Fiaxx
Nov 8, 2003

Wednesday is my rag day.
Thanks for letting me join the guild last night - I feel all official now. The only special gear I really have is level 50 comm gear back from 2013, I think. Talos always questions if my shoulder pads are large enough. The mask is great for keeping my beautiful face hidden from the masses. I do not have the Togruta unlock yet but had been thinking about it. Maybe now's my chance!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Speaking of outfits-- what are some good outfits for a female Sith Warrior? Mine has body type 4 (the one that's slightly chubby) so a lot of the Sith Warrior chest pieces with Darth Vader-esque button panel things look hideously distorted. And a lot of the others are just plain goofy-looking since they have these giant spiky shoulderpads I'd be embarrassed to wear in WoW, let alone SWTOR.

I'm tempted to just wear one of those Imperial officer uniform tops since my Agent looks so cool in them, even though it'd make absolutely zero sense for a Sith.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rincewind posted:

Speaking of outfits-- what are some good outfits for a female Sith Warrior? Mine has body type 4 (the one that's slightly chubby) so a lot of the Sith Warrior chest pieces with Darth Vader-esque button panel things look hideously distorted. And a lot of the others are just plain goofy-looking since they have these giant spiky shoulderpads I'd be embarrassed to wear in WoW, let alone SWTOR.

I'm tempted to just wear one of those Imperial officer uniform tops since my Agent looks so cool in them, even though it'd make absolutely zero sense for a Sith.

I'm at work so I can't check, but maybe Primeval Paragon? I think that's the name, it's a very good looking black/grey cloak over heavy armor look. Corellia commendation vendor I think.

That's assuming you're a juggernaut, though. Marauder outfits are consistently awful as gently caress.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So hey today the new launcher decided to take a crap and just not work. I only have The application has encountered an unspecified error. Please try this patch again. Is there anything I can do?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Cythereal posted:

I'm at work so I can't check, but maybe Primeval Paragon? I think that's the name, it's a very good looking black/grey cloak over heavy armor look. Corellia commendation vendor I think.

That's assuming you're a juggernaut, though. Marauder outfits are consistently awful as gently caress.

Oh yeah, I'm a Juggernaut-- I forgot Marauders had different armor. That set does look really nice-- I've always liked the robes over armor look the Jedi Knights in this game have, and this looks like a cool Sith version of that aesthetic.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Rincewind posted:

I find that Martial Prilgrim or Ulic Qel Droma work well for a lighter armored look on female characters.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Fiaxx posted:

Thanks for letting me join the guild last night - I feel all official now. The only special gear I really have is level 50 comm gear back from 2013, I think. Talos always questions if my shoulder pads are large enough. The mask is great for keeping my beautiful face hidden from the masses. I do not have the Togruta unlock yet but had been thinking about it. Maybe now's my chance!

Aww, are you bummed that the Sith Inquisitor wouldn't give you his/her body?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rincewind posted:

it'd make absolutely zero sense for a Sith.

Sith armour looks like crap.

Steal all the armour sets. (UI included for proof of Juggernaut. :v:)

I'll probably get some cowled Jedi set, it'll probably look great with the bald pureblood Sith look.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Kinda want to get back into this. Seeing that I haven't played since about 6-8 months after launch, what would be my purchase path as far as expansions and boosts go? Will likely start a new character (Jedi or Sith so I can make cool waaaaarrrrroooom noises with a laser sword) from 1 and go on from there to relearn the mechanics (unless things have been greatly simplified from then).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tide posted:

Kinda want to get back into this. Seeing that I haven't played since about 6-8 months after launch, what would be my purchase path as far as expansions and boosts go? Will likely start a new character (Jedi or Sith so I can make cool waaaaarrrrroooom noises with a laser sword) from 1 and go on from there to relearn the mechanics (unless things have been greatly simplified from then).

KOTFE starter pack is all you need. 90 days of subscription, 2400 cartel coins, and all of the expansions unlocked beginning 10/27.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Just had a thought too for the guy asking about his minion. If you're doing the class stuff and having some trouble, sometimes they have stuff designed with your abilities in mind. Stuff like 2 tough guys, but you're playing a class with CC so you can do them 1-at-a-time, or in one of the jedi knight bits there is a pit you can force push annoying guys into.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

ZypherIM posted:

Just had a thought too for the guy asking about his minion. If you're doing the class stuff and having some trouble, sometimes they have stuff designed with your abilities in mind. Stuff like 2 tough guys, but you're playing a class with CC so you can do them 1-at-a-time, or in one of the jedi knight bits there is a pit you can force push annoying guys into.

Pushing guys into pits is one of the reasons why I'm going to stick with my Juggernaut as my Imperial main in KotFE even though I'm totally into the Agent storyline.

but also I don't want to have to sit through Rise of the Hutt Cartel again

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

KOTFE starter pack is all you need. 90 days of subscription, 2400 cartel coins, and all of the expansions unlocked beginning 10/27.

Oh, nice. Thanks.

Just messing about on the swtor forums...Same mess as it ever was.

I wonder when they shut down the Revanite forums...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm disappointed that KotFE is a single storyline. :smith:

I had been under the impression that unlike RotHC and SoR it would actually continue your specific class storylines, and thus was basically 8 new storylines that each play out differently within the context of the overall expansion. In fact, I assumed that was the reason they were making such a huge loving deal about all the storyline stuff and not adding in any FPs and Ops, because they were making literally 8 stories.

What a bummer. No wonder they're giving it away free to subscribers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fuzz posted:

I'm disappointed that KotFE is a single storyline. :smith:

I had been under the impression that unlike RotHC and SoR it would actually continue your specific class storylines, and thus was basically 8 new storylines that each play out differently within the context of the overall expansion. In fact, I assumed that was the reason they were making such a huge loving deal about all the storyline stuff and not adding in any FPs and Ops, because they were making literally 8 stories.

What a bummer. No wonder they're giving it away free to subscribers.

Unfortunately that pretty well went away with vanilla. Bioware said in one stream that they regard the 1-50 storyline as the origin story for your character.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Cythereal posted:

Unfortunately that pretty well went away with vanilla. Bioware said in one stream that they regard the 1-50 storyline as the origin story for your character.

That really sucks. Was hoping there'd be an Act 4 to every class storyline at some point, like maybe you find out what happens to Darth Jadus if you told him to gently caress off, or one of the other major villains if they managed to not die at the end of your main storyline.

It'd totally be doable, and I feel like it would be something most players of this game would really be into, but apparently not. :(

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

We can still hope that maybe they would dedicate one chapter to your class or something. It really depends. For example Warrior and Knight's main hook is dealing with Vitiate which fed into Ziost and feeds into any stuff that deal with him from now on. So their 'hook' can be dealt with in the main story. I suppose you could expose the Star Cabal or something. And then other stories are more done, like I think Consular and Inquisitor are done as far as narrative force and more story with them would be about the day to day stuff of being one of the most powerful dudes on their respective faction.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Reveilled posted:

One thing worth noting though is that a tank companion, by the late game, is always going to come out of a fight about half health at best. As long as you don't need to heal, though, you're faster either mounting and dismounting, or dismissing and resummoning (when indoors), than you would be using your recuperation ability to heal your companion, because either of those return your companion to full health.

Better yet, hitting rocket boost counts as "mounting," and it's instant (without the expensive perk), and unlike every other mount, it works indoors. My usual habit is tap rocket boost and then tap my recovery thing which both interrupts rocket boost and tops me off if I took any damage, and then I'm off and running. Pretty much zero down time using this strategy with a tank companion. This is one of the big reasons rocket boost is the best thing anybody can buy with their Hutt Bux.

Also you guys are lucky I'm not in the goon guild cause I dominate the dress-up game:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would hope that those "origin stories" have some effect, with at least some class-specific quest chains or something.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

There might be one little side quest eventually, but don't forget, Rishi and Yavni were identical for all characters too aside from one mission.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There were some early teasers for KOTFE that make it sound like different classes will have different paths in some missions. The given example was that at one point the PC has to get inside an enemy fortress, and troopers and agents have different ways of going about it. If the Outlander is a Trooper, they plan and lead a direct military assault to take the fortress. If the Outlander is an Imperial Agent, they knock out a dude in a reinforcement convoy and replace him to infiltrate the fortress.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

There might be one little side quest eventually, but don't forget, Rishi and Yavni were identical for all characters too aside from one mission.
's brother?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

's brother?

DOH!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

All those eight class stories are like, even with just doing 12x like 30ish hour single rpgs so I imagine as impressive as that is youre not really going to see that level of development again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hey you know what, I was talking to Pyrilia/Myrmia/Whatever your name is here and I'd like to try and do Nightmare TFB or S&V on Sunday night. This won't be a typical "fun raid" - I'm hoping we can get a few people that actually know their classes because the mechanics are tough, and the DPS race is actually a challenge even at 60, but it will become near impossible for us to do it for a long time after Tuesday.

You'd need Teamspeak as there are call outs needed, and you'd have to have a fair understanding of the basic mechanics of TFB. Would anyone be interested? I've never gotten past Operator 9 but at the very least we could try to go for some achievements for people for the first few bosses.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

A couple of items for next week's change to 4.0

On crafting:

quote:

All schematics that are being removed from the game, or archived, will no longer be trainable once 4.0 goes live. You also cannot reverse engineer those schematics to learn new ones.
So learn all those schematics from your trainers and buy missing ones from the GTN if you want to craft them for appearance tab slots post-4.0

On the GTN:

quote:

Quick heads up, on Tuesday when we have our maintenance to deploy 4.0 and Early Access of Fallen Empire, all active GTN sales will be cancelled. This will be treated like any other cancellation and the item/deposit will be mailed to you. We wanted to make sure you were aware of this so you aren't alarmed when we come out of maintenance on Tuesday.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Almost done with work for the day, and I'm trying to decide whether I want to get drunk tonight and do completely pointless poo poo in SWTOR or get really drunk tonight and do completely pointless poo poo in SWTOR.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Also I still can't get my launcher to work, so any help, things I could delete, how to force the repair, would be welcome before I just try and reinstall the game. :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eimi posted:

Also I still can't get my launcher to work, so any help, things I could delete, how to force the repair, would be welcome before I just try and reinstall the game. :v:

What's happening, specifically?

There's about a half dozen different launcher issues with different fixes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

What's happening, specifically?

There's about a half dozen different launcher issues with different fixes.

All it would say is "The application has encountered an unspecified error. Please try this patch again." I just ran some launcherDiag thingy and it worked now. So no idea what the gently caress was wrong with it. I even restarted and it didn't do anything.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Minor spoilers from the KotFE livestreams on the subject of class differentiation in the story:
The impression I got from the livestreamed segments of chapters one and three is that the classes all follow the same broad storyline but there are a decent number of things that your class does affect-- your class companions have actual lines (T7 showed up for the Jedi Knight, Mako showed up in the Bounty Hunter version chapter one) and there's class-specific options for dealing with situations (the Jedi Knight can try to force persuade their way out of an early encounter). This feels more differentiated than Hutt Cartel/Revan did, but it's been a while since I played those. And, of course, the two livestreamed sections combined probably add up to like thirty minutes anyway.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

All those eight class stories are like, even with just doing 12x like 30ish hour single rpgs so I imagine as impressive as that is youre not really going to see that level of development again.

I'd hope, then, that needing to only focus on one critical-path story means they can do some cooler things with it. Grander setpieces and more of them, some new gameplay stuff that isn't "MMO dungeon crawl then conversation", and a lot more choices with significant effects.

With the need for each planet to support 4-8 class story missions in each area, even the "unique" content starts to seem samey and cookie-cutter when you do it multiple times. Different MacGuffins, different Darths, but the overall arcs are the same.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Nipponophile posted:

Almost done with work for the day, and I'm trying to decide whether I want to get drunk tonight and do completely pointless poo poo in SWTOR or get really drunk tonight and do completely pointless poo poo in SWTOR.

greetings fellow traveler

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

And Rincewind now that I am able to log on here are some shots of my stuff. Nothing creative but might give you some ideas.

Valiant Jedi with dye

Revered Seer

I think I got this from Corellia but its just standard heavy armor pieces

Thexxan's robe, though it doesn't dye well

And Karnass Murr, probably my favorite overall which I'll use a ton more once the robe doesn't drape off speeders. :v:

And its not Jugg or Sithy armor but Commissar!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Since SWTOR fashion is a go here and I don't know enough, can anyone guide me on the parts needed to look like Niko? Or any of them really!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Definitely should be doable. Color combo is an existing dye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'd imagine the Saul Karath or I think it's formal militant set are starter bases for that look. (I'd love if you could get a hairstyle like hers, but alas BW is terrible at hair.)

• Locked thread