Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Elder Postsman posted:

dang it's like fifty earth dollars

its like 1300 pages and covers basically all of math

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Symbolic Butt posted:

didn't read the code but... this doesn't sound nice at all

it's not really, no

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have concluded that im just gonna archive the old repos, make a new repo, and dump my working copies into that new repo

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Had the uber app since I was using it in London, got to central there and opened it and there was a bunch of cars available. Didn't realise that they just started operating here at 4pm today

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hey shaggar how do i convert visual studio's xml doxygen-like stuff into html or something human-readable

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
for webapi theres swashbuckle: https://github.com/domaindrivendev/Swashbuckle

for everything else I think theres just a normal build thing to generate the html docs during build like w/ javadoc. It generates that standard ugly msdn type docs that you see everywhere. I don't use it tho cause the only things I need to document are the webapi methods/models

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

theres a build thing that barfs out xml so i guess the xml needs to be processed into something useful seems like maybe doxygen will do that

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Ralith posted:

Alternatively, you could make one a submodule of the other, but this is pretty pointless if you don't have multiple other repositories using it and want to keep developing it independently as well.

bloody, do this

maintain one monolith repo with both firmware and software as submodules so that you don't muck up anyone else who's working on the project. once everyone is off using the submodules then do a subtree merge

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the weird poo poo i was talking abuot the other day was an application that had to be deployed as a single jar. I used grizzly to setup a http server and then created a websocket application in java to service everything to some front end

grizzly is really nice and easy, it felt like using python

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Blinkz0rz posted:

bloody, do this

maintain one monolith repo with both firmware and software as submodules so that you don't muck up anyone else who's working on the project. once everyone is off using the submodules then do a subtree merge

there is no anyone else

just me

lmao

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Bloody posted:

there is no anyone else

just me

lmao
So just fetch the one repo into the other and merge them. It's like four commands.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

im just dumptrucking the downstream history and starting with a fresh repo because it doesn't really matter because there is no one else, just me, because the program it is for is a circus

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

some very simple, straightforward ee and me problems: a team of a dozen
every engineering decision, design decision, and line of code from the fpga through the pc: me, by myself

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Elder Postsman posted:

i found it for free online

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Bloody posted:

im just dumptrucking the downstream history and starting with a fresh repo because it doesn't really matter because there is no one else, just me, because the program it is for is a circus
It's nice to learn how to do this sort of thing properly when it doesn't matter if you screw it up, because that might not always be the case.

Also, you might want to bisect or blame or something in the future.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

thats incredibly cheap for a text

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

fritz posted:

thats incredibly cheap for a text

that's kind of relative. My own book was fairly expensive by my own taste but there was no way to make it cheaper.

One thing that people can do though is ask their local public library if they can acquire the book -- they can often do it if they have the budget -- and then rent it for pretty much nothing.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Ralith posted:

It's nice to learn how to do this sort of thing properly when it doesn't matter if you screw it up, because that might not always be the case.

Also, you might want to bisect or blame or something in the future.

yeah every time i've thrown away history i've regretted it six months down the track

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

MononcQc posted:

that's kind of relative. My own book was fairly expensive by my own taste but there was no way to make it cheaper.

yeah, technical books usually come in cheaper than texts, but for something like

Bloody posted:

its like 1300 pages and covers basically all of math

id expect that to be three times the price

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
linq is good

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
also I brought back http://bad.solutions

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

fritz posted:

yeah, technical books usually come in cheaper than texts, but for something like

id expect that to be three times the price

yeah, fair, for 1300 pages of math it's not too much. I'd have expected ~$80-$90 for a low-ish price there, and a few hundos if it's used in a university.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaggar posted:

check everything out. delete the git stuff. combine them into a single folder. commit them to a subversion repo

we started using git at the insistence of someone

it really is no better than SVN and has several disadvantages

one merge completely clobbered history for a file and introduced a bunch of regressions in our app

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

~Coxy posted:

one merge completely clobbered history for a file and introduced a bunch of regressions in our app

when you merge you're supposed to actually resolve merge conflicts instead of hitting "just use my copy" every time

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jabor posted:

when you merge you're supposed to actually resolve merge conflicts instead of hitting "just use my copy" every time

even if that was the problem, it should still show a change for that merge

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

~Coxy posted:

even if that was the problem, it should still show a change for that merge

when you say "merge", do you by any chance actually mean "force push"? because that's the only circumstance in which you'd lose any history

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
subversion: couldnt pull file X due to merge conflicts

file x -> edit conflicts -> therees a couple of lines of extra white space

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
and even if someone fucks things up with a force push, all the history is still there in everyone else's local copies so you can get it back easily enough

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i've never managed to lose any history with git

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i do a lot of fairly aggressive rebasing on my own branches. maybe that history still exists somewhere but i dont know about it if it does. also i always create a copy of the branch before i start doing anything.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i do a lot of fairly aggressive rebasing on my own branches. maybe that history still exists somewhere but i dont know about it if it does. also i always create a copy of the branch before i start doing anything.

i think the local history stays in the reflog. this saved my tuchus once when i did a hard reset on the wrong commit

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

~Coxy posted:

have you considered using the tool better

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

~Coxy posted:

lol dude, you guys are doing it wrong

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
that's my favorite thing

like ya, teams that come over from svn and expect git to be exactly the same deserve every minute of pain

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

~Coxy posted:

it is really hella dumb that git allows force push on master by default

editing history is dangerous and this bites every new user in the rear end at least once

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
if git can't push, does it still recommend force pushing?

because I suspect that's the source of all trouble with new teams trying git

"hey it didnt work, why dont i try this thing it says what could go wrong"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

~Coxy posted:

to give a non garbage response to this post, git is significantly better than svn in branching and merging, and everything else kind of stems from there. if you are using a process that is designed around svn, which is bad at branching, and then simply plug in git instead of svn, you will probably be pretty dissatisfied. if you change your process to take advantage of git's better branching/merging, you might like it more. here's two good resources about how to use git branches effectively:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SZ7kSQ2424
http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

also, the command line interface is garbage, use sourcetree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Bloody posted:

also, the command line interface is garbage, use sourcetree

agree

sourcetree will do 90% of your git stuff and will do it well

• Locked thread