Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If I drop items in my "office" will they stay there through board changes?
Don't expect that to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

What about demolition? I noticed gas grenades didn't seem as potent as I remembered them being. Do they still so damage or are they just incapacitating now?

They've never really been super damaging to begin with in Vanilla Deus Ex; I just use them to stun people so I can sink some tranq darts in their heads or prod them into unconsciousness.

Also PS20s are fun in Shifter since they actually do enough damage to kill a person and/or set them on fire.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I dont think i ever upgraded demolition in any of the million times i played a deus ex.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is there any reason? Do grenades bounce less and are therefore easier to aim? LAMs already kill every human enemy and most robots, and two EMP grenades are enough to take out any robot in the game.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Noclip cheated it, there's nothing up there.

If you turn cheats on, Shifter (and Biomod since it's based on Shifter) will actually disable all the 'cheat' fixes that it applies (eg the Inventory Tetris trick where you can stack items on top of each other or how you can unlock everything with one multipad/lockpick by opening inventory while you are in the middle of the animation)
How do you turn cheats on in this mod?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

If you upgrade Demo you get more time to disarm a grenade i think but who cares about that

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Humans Among Us posted:

If you upgrade Demo you get more time to disarm a grenade i think but who cares about that

If you master it's something ridiculous like the bomb beeps 60 times before finally exploding which is pretty funny.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

How do you turn cheats on in this mod?

Use -hax0r as the launch option in Steam. You might have to go into the keybinds and bind a key for the ingame console as well.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Conversely with zero points in demolition you can't even react before exploding unless you knew it was there. In GMDX it becomes even crazier. You have about .05 seconds to get it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mzbundifund posted:

If you master it's something ridiculous like the bomb beeps 60 times before finally exploding which is pretty funny.

You also take less damage from explosions which means you can throw LAMs everywhere and blow up entire rooms of guys since their AoE gets hilariously large at high level. I remember loving with it and literally blowing Gunther's head off in one shot by throwing a LAM at his face.

Edit: Also it makes your gas grenades instantly knock people out in vanilla.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fuzz posted:

Edit: Also it makes your gas grenades instantly knock people out in vanilla.

:aaa: This fuckin game....

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Use -hax0r as the launch option in Steam. You might have to go into the keybinds and bind a key for the ingame console as well.

Putting "walk" into the console or into "say" doesn't seem to do anything. Neither does "noclip".

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

Putting "walk" into the console or into "say" doesn't seem to do anything. Neither does "noclip".

The command for noclip is ghost. Godmode is god and it'll say that it's activated (I can't recall if ghost does).

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Neat: Revision (or possibly standard Steam Deus Ex, now I think about it) seems to have Steam cloud support, as I've just carried on from where I left off when I installed it on my work machine. Which is nice.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Tis pretty funny, when i installed Revision i was like "let's play a little bit, gonna quickly check it out for about an hour"
Then i played non-stop for 6 hours and it was morning...

Like, i never really left agent hermano in the basement where he belongs and this was the first time i just went in thru the topfloor, went to the terrorist leader and finished the mission without doing much else. So when unatco gets the signal and went in to clean up the place i went over the entire island unobstructed to loot the stuffs. Harry Filben at the docks sees me coming and goes 'what am i standing around here for if nobody needs me' and it was just the greatest thing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I always go straight for Filben, then I ignore everything he says and go in the back way by jumping on crates. Before that though I go into the bunker to get whatever's in there (mainly the skill bonus) and the guy down there is easy to ghost by. I go in through the top and work my way down to the basement, and then back up. The only people I actively engage are the people near Hermann's cell. Normally there's two, but in Revision there's four of those fuckers. The biggest disappointment is that even when you ghost everything, Alex still says "Easy! We need this one alive and conscious!"

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Haha yeah that's also my preferred method, tho i used to pick up the snipergun from the guy on the way to the docks. And yeah that Alex going 'EASY BRAH' is kinda silly if you ghost but i just blew up those fellas near the top with rockets so for me it made it sense.

E; and then

YOU CANT FIGHT IDEAS WITH BULLETS

~got a single fact to back that up?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Lame news - UNATCO troopers completely ignore Walton Simmons shotgunning them repeatedly. No UNATCO clusterfuck for me :/

In better, slightly related news - some palytester claims he'll probably get Paul behavior changed so that he selects the weapon appropriate to the situation, instead of gunning down NSF / UNATCO troops and trying to crossbow bots.

Edit - The new door in UNATCO, which can't be hacked and has a 9 digit code? Nothing behind it, just a red herring.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 16, 2015

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Yep. Settings > display.

Awesome, thanks!

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I decided to try cracking open their version of Biomod to see if I could merge the changes from 1.1 and fix a few bugs they introduced, but I can't get it to compile because it can't find the texture for some new menu icon or something.

whatashame.wav

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Edit - The new door in UNATCO, which can't be hacked and has a 9 digit code? Nothing behind it, just a red herring.

Goddamn, that's some terrible level design.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I'm not super far into DX Revision, but I'm not all that impressed so far. The new levels don't seem particularly good but I can't tell if that's just because of me. For instance I know Hell's Kitchen like the back of my hand but I got super lost in the new version. I don't know if that's because the level design is confusing and not well signposted, or if my brain is just totally scrambled because nothing is right where I expect it to be.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 17, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Linguica posted:

I'm not super far into DX Revision, but I'm not all that impressed so far. The new levels don't seem particularly good but I can't tell if that's just because of me. For instance I know Hell's Kitchen like the back of my hand but I got super lost in the new version. I don't know if that's because the level design is confusing and not well signposted, or if my brain is just totally scrambled because nothing is right where I expect it to be.

I haven't played it, but it seems to me that the maps are way too big for their own good. DX1's maps are just the right size for the type of game it is; Revision seems to add a ton of unecesary streets, alleys, and rooms that just make things take longer and make it more confusing to navigate.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

closeted republican posted:

I haven't played it, but it seems to me that the maps are way too big for their own good. DX1's maps are just the right size for the type of game it is; Revision seems to add a ton of unecesary streets, alleys, and rooms that just make things take longer and make it more confusing to navigate.

This was my impression, as well. DX1's levels didn't need to be added to... the game was pretty much perfect, from a design standpoint.

All you need to do to make a good DX Remake is port everything to a newer version of the Unreal engine, add 3D sound effects, update all the textures, fix up the character models/textures/animations uniformly across the board, and maybe throw in some new shader effects here and there. Then just have the newest versions of Shifter and Biomod be compatible and updateable with it.

Done. The rest of the game was totally fine as is, and would hold up by modern standards, if not show how a lot of games nowadays are sort of linear pieces of poo poo that could learn a thing or two by looking back at games like Deus Ex or Bloodlines, which had detailed and densely packed levels with lots of paths that could support a wide variety of playstyles.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hello I used to do some Deus Ex modding waaaay back then but I've forgotten pretty much everything; including how to load a custom level.

I found on an old hard drive I had kept in a drawer some Deus Ex stuff I made in 2002 (at least it's the time stamps they have). They have the .unr extension, though, not .dx. When I open them in the UnrealEd from the DX SDK, nothing visible happens, the geometry isn't loaded or anything. Likewise nothing happens if I try to open one of the Revision maps. But the maps from the game can be loaded.

Are there any pointers on how to mod inventory items? I'd like to do stuff like changing ammo capacity, item stacking limits, or the number of inventory space an item takes.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

-hax0r? i think you mean set deusex.jcdentonmale bcheatsenabled true :smug:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Playing through again using Kentie's Launcher and there's a rather large chunk of lag, several seconds worth, between hitting the inventory (or opening any menu) and it actually opening up. Any ideas?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The problem with Revisions huge levels is that there aren't enough cool things to find in the new extra areas. Lot of dead ends. All the cool stuff is in the same places you remember it being. All the extra hack able computers everywhere are all empty with no fluff emails to be read.

Nameless Mod did not have this problem, all of their huge maps were a joy to explore. Fluff emails everywhere, secondary paths, reactivity to gameplay styles... Those guys really understood how to make a great Deus Ex level, once again with the exception of the opening hour of the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

TNM's vast levels could benefit from a hacked-in speed augmentation even more than this. In fact, not knowing how to do that is the one thing stopping me from replaying TNM (again)

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I have a problem with ammo in Revision - I have 2 copies of 10mm ammo and stun prod ammo in my ammo list, meaning that the pistol and stun prod have no ammo because they are trying to use the wrong type.

No apparent way to change ammo. Any ideas?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

It's not just that levels are too big for their own good, but also that quests don't give you some sort of navigation marker (like in Human Revolution), so not only do I need to get used to the new lay-out of important areas like Hell's Kitchen, I get to run around in circles before I figure out where everything is while doing quests for everyone.

Really makes me appreciate games like the Souls series where you rarely get completely lost despite not having a map.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Does revision use the same version of the HDTP textures that we can download?

Just wondering if I can install them to vanilla + Deus exe + biomod.

Also, is the new vision texture mod worth installing?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

wipeout posted:

Does revision use the same version of the HDTP textures that we can download?

Just wondering if I can install them to vanilla + Deus exe + biomod.

Also, is the new vision texture mod worth installing?

Yes to all questions

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Stumiester posted:

I have a problem with ammo in Revision - I have 2 copies of 10mm ammo and stun prod ammo in my ammo list, meaning that the pistol and stun prod have no ammo because they are trying to use the wrong type.

No apparent way to change ammo. Any ideas?

Worked this out - if you die and restart at the start of the game, you keep your stuff as well as any new stuff. Unfortunately, it spawns extra copies of ammo for your starting weapons (pistol and prod), making them ultimately unusable. So, don't use the bug basically ;)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Umm. If you ghosted outside UNATCO gates in earlier incarnations, would you meet these weird unused NPCs?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fuzz posted:

Sounds like this is a pretty garbage mod overall, then?

Eh... better than nothing, I suppose.

Sounds like it's worse than nothing

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh goddam, my targeting reticles went away because I put a scope on my pistol?

Really don't want to re-run all of castle clinton >_<

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 17, 2015

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Not really agreeing with people here about Revision. You don't even really need to do a lot of extra exploring but you certainly can now and that owns imho. For example, yesterday i was raiding the NSF warehouse/ blow up the generator and it was the same as vanilla. Except of course that instead of blowing the thing up and going into the chopper, you can now explore the apartment buildings across the warehouse too. The basement is also bigger. The only place so far that didn't have loot while you still need to burn lockpicks was the metal hatch in the storage closet in unatco part II (i looted it the first time and they didnt put anything new in it the second time around).

That said, most places do seem to have multiple instances of loot as we've come to expect from DX vanilla (like the floorboards in Alex computer labs, second time there's a weapon mod.)

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Sounds like it's worse than nothing

It's not because if you just want to play Deus Ex without mods you still can and this mod is cool and good.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Put a laser on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Got a scope on my stealth pistol and on my crossbow and i still have the reticles?...