Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

gabensraum posted:

here do a risc os bounty and pretend you're in the early 90s
https://www.riscosopen.org/bounty/

lol they haven't even switched to clang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i have an old risc pc to fool around with for sentimental reasons which is how i know risc os open exists, but i'm still not clear why it exists. i know it has got new life on the raspberry pi but there are better OSes now, i don't know why you'd bother trying to upgrade such an old one. they were neat in their day but their day was a long time ago.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

gabensraum posted:

i have an old risc pc to fool around with for sentimental reasons which is how i know risc os open exists, but i'm still not clear why it exists.

its the same reason you can drop four-five figgies on a sweet modernhorrible undead parody of the amiga: stupid people, obsession with a long gone era of computing, and if you poke them hard enough they still believe amiga/riscos will rise again

notice how the riscos compiler has to be closed source owned by some outfit called rool? ayup, there be fools who claim (dubiously) to own the rights and actually think they're sitting on something potentially great, so no open source allowed for the portions of the system they "control"

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 9, 2015

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

I mean, threats of physical abuse might be "banter between friends" where you come from, like Linus claims, but they're still not acceptable in a professional setting.

Linux: Unprofessional to the core.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

cthulhoo posted:

ah so that's why java runtime is such a bloated pos

lol

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
It just hit me. Technology is at the point where I can fix something that's been bugging me for 20 years.

I am going to make the "print screen" button print a screenshot of your screen directly to the office printer. Like what the key's original function was, but the complications of a graphical interface made it obsolete.

This is it... the killer application that will finally bring business users to open source and crush the microsoft monopoly! 2015 will be Linux's time to shine!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ughhh

http://venturebeat.com/2015/10/15/source-red-hat-is-buying-ansible-for-more-than-100m/

the rumor is that red hat is gonna buy ansible

this is terrible news

if true, it means i would have to start caring about ansible

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ughhh

http://venturebeat.com/2015/10/15/source-red-hat-is-buying-ansible-for-more-than-100m/

this is terrible news

:tipshat:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ughhh

this is terrible news

enduring evidence bsd was wrong

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ughhh

this is terrible news

lmao

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/red-hat-acquire-it-automation-and-devops-leader-ansible

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

do note this is red hat's 3rd configuration management product. today they announced they will continue to sell and support all three simultaneously

this makes sense because *fountain of enterprise gibberish*

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

do note this is red hat's 3rd configuration management product. today they announced they will continue to sell and support all three simultaneously

this makes sense because *fountain of enterprise gibberish*

do note you told a guy setting up a $5 vps he needed enterprise configuration management infrastructure

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

pram posted:

do note you told a guy setting up a $5 vps he needed enterprise configuration management infrastructure

This is me agreeing with a thing pram said.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

I advocate for this too because people gotta learn this stuff, otherwise you're hosed when sysadmin becomes a minimum wage overseas job

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I advocate for this because you're loving retarded if you don't keep a record of what configuration you did to a server, and you might as well use an "enterprise" (lol at that characterization you disingenuous twit) configuration management tool to do it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

*fountain of enterprise gibberish*

e: thought better of it. basically: yeah, lol.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

i told him he needed configuration management, which is not the same thing

installing one rpm to get a local puppet/chef is a sane and necessary measure for any linux deployment, no matter how small

setting up a puppet or chef server for one vm would be really dumb and no one would recommend that

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 17, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

broken clock opsec posted:

I advocate for this because you're loving retarded if you don't keep a record of what configuration you did to a server, and you might as well use an "enterprise" (lol at that characterization you disingenuous twit) configuration management tool to do it

he's one of those ansible devops fucksticks so he thinks installing even a single piece of software on the target is "enterprise infrastructure"

it's somehow better to limit everything to python 2.4 and upload all the poo poo you need over ssh instead

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ansible is still really bad

just now that red hat owns it people will want to ask me questions about it. i have to care about ansible, which does not mean i have to like, recommend, or sell ansible.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
it is a $10 vps and bsd's answer was good, the only problem was that learning how to use chef/puppet/ansible or whatever is orders of magnitude more complicated than the configuration i did in the first place. next time i'll probably just run `script what-i-did-to-setup-server.txt` and edit all files using ed or create a git repo in the root and commit files before/after i edit them.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Barnyard Protein posted:

it is a $10 vps and bsd's answer was good, the only problem was that learning how to use chef/puppet/ansible or whatever is orders of magnitude more complicated than the configuration i did in the first place. next time i'll probably just run `script what-i-did-to-setup-server.txt` and edit all files using ed or create a git repo in the root and commit files before/after i edit them.

it looks a lot harder than it actually is

maintaining chef/puppet on a local machine is as simple as what you described: you stick poo poo in a git repo and run "script-to-setup-server.sh"

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ansible is still really bad

Keep loving that chicken.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Is everybody emptyquoting that alsa comic or is everybody using alsa to post, too?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

CPColin posted:

Is everybody emptyquoting that alsa comic or is everybody using alsa to post, too?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

broken clock opsec posted:

yes the tool is called ansible

pram
Jun 10, 2001
which will now be on the rhce gents so study up

pram
Jun 10, 2001
also lol at

Barnyard Protein posted:

lmfao wow a script good job

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ansiible takes about 2 minutes to learn which is why it's great for people who need some config management but aren't ready for puppet/chef

we use puppet here and if not used properly it's a loving nightmare to maintain. loving no idea what's going on in any of these puppet modules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
god that idiot with the vps listening to bsd about setting up a chef or puppet master, and then him forgoing anything at all and writing a lovely bash script because it's 'hard' is just so painfully retarded

look at what you insipid fuckers have done. lol. haha