Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Davincie posted:

i like that the italian (?) cooking teacher from one of the early chapters was in there

The French guy? He's been in a ton of chapters, he was in the staff stands along with Shiomi during the Fall Elections making comments here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Since there was a distinct lack of Alice this time, I'd like to nominate this panel as the best of the chapter :allears:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Compendium posted:

I think it's pretty obvious and it's actually kinda chuckle worthy.

Also I think this chapter goes to show that if Erina is put around the right people who don't give a rat's rear end about her elitism she and others have put on her, she's actually passable as a character.

So it's not just me then. And yes, it's rather chuckle worthy when you remember the pre-Stagiare chapters.

And indeed, Erina's alright as a character when she's around the right people.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
This is literally the first time Erina has done anything, so yeah. I didn't expect her to be basically a huge bitch from now until the end of time.

I do assume that Aizenami will take her back and brainwash her again and Soma will then save her by reminding her of the power of friendship.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Erina works here because the Polar Star people dont see failure as the end of the road, therefore they respect her "god tongue" bullshit and just try and improve themselves.

Hopefully at some point Erina learns that its okay to have super godly taste, you just dont have to be a piece of poo poo about it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
What Souma should do to get Erina to accept his food is prepare something and then have someone else (that Erina respects/likes) give it to her, and only reveal after the fact that Souma was the one who prepared it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
What Erina needs to do is completely reject her dad's bullshit and enjoy food that tastes good.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

The last thing Azami will do to break Erina's spirit will be to burn a deck of playing cards in front of her.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The best part was how excited the Polar Star people were to have Erina eat their food and break down what was wrong. Her entire mentality has been based around telling people they're garbage and crushing them, only now she's around people super psyched to get her tasting opinions because they can figure out what to improve on.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She thought it'd be more entertaining to have a crazy evil man in charge.

If she's the no. 2 on the E10 then she's probably bored as gently caress and just wants crazy things to happen and shake up the status quo. She's clearly going to jump on board against Azami once she thinks it looks like way more fun to fight against him.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 9, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Compendium posted:

I think it's pretty obvious and it's actually kinda chuckle worthy.

Also I think this chapter goes to show that if Erina is put around the right people who don't give a rat's rear end about her elitism she and others have put on her, she's actually passable as a character.

This has been known for a while because her scenes with just Hisako was when she was always at her best. It's just that the vast majority of her scenes were either with or about Soma, and they have zero chemistry.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Hisako still cool. Erina still not.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

What Souma should do to get Erina to accept his food is prepare something and then have someone else (that Erina respects/likes) give it to her, and only reveal after the fact that Souma was the one who prepared it.

that would only make her dislike him more because he tricked her

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko (Tomo-chan Is a Girl!):

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Needs more cooking.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

MrCinos posted:

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko (Tomo-chan Is a Girl!):

Psst. I think you meant to post these in the shoujo/josei manga thread.

e:fb

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alacron posted:

Since there was a distinct lack of Alice this time, I'd like to nominate this panel as the best of the chapter :allears:

Alice Nakiri: Ditched. :allears:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
This was a nice chapter, and it's nice to see Erina mingling with people her age.

I like how she's surprised the dorm's residents reaction to her critique isn't "welp, time to kill myself :negative:" but rather "gently caress yea, bring it on! :argh:" :allears:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Is it strange of me that I find Hisako to have better chemistry with Soma than she does with Erina after the Stagiare arc happened?

(And would it be strange if I find that to be an intentionally done thing?)

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

i don't think she ever really displayed good chemistry with erina considering their relationship was pretty much master and servant

hisako twisted the relationship pretty badly to begin with, but yeah she got a chance to grow after she lost and actually had to stand on her own

erina just kinda sucks as a character in general, about the only person she seems to have any chemistry with at all is alice

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
thats actually just all alice

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

I'm gonna go and speculate a bit and say that a future Hisako and Erina arc will be to have them improve the chemistry they have between each other since Soma gave Hisako motivation to have her be a true friend and Erina perceives Soma as having better chemistry with Hisako at present which will drive her to make an effort into improving her own relationship with her. The result will be Erina and Hisako both making efforts to improve the currently kinda bad chemistry they have at present and seeing how they'll go from bad chemistry to being actual friends with one another will be incredibly interesting to see.

I'm also gonna guess that something similiar will happen between Erina and Soma.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Erina is the heroine. She will fall in love with the hero of the story. Now that I think about it, it is actually better that Alice isn't the heroine because then she would get saddled with boring old Souma.

But hey, the side characters do a great job of picking up the slack for the two leads so it isn't all bad.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

KoB posted:

Erina works here because the Polar Star people dont see failure as the end of the road, therefore they respect her "god tongue" bullshit and just try and improve themselves.

Hopefully at some point Erina learns that its okay to have super godly taste, you just dont have to be a piece of poo poo about it.

It's not even that bad that she's an rear end in a top hat about it so long as it isn't treated completely seriously - Aoki flipping out and going hot blooded was pretty funny.

pentyne posted:

The best part was how excited the Polar Star people were to have Erina eat their food and break down what was wrong. Her entire mentality has been based around telling people they're garbage and crushing them, only now she's around people super psyched to get her tasting opinions because they can figure out what to improve on.

If she's the no. 2 on the E10 then she's probably bored as gently caress and just wants crazy things to happen and shake up the status quo. She's clearly going to jump on board against Azami once she thinks it looks like way more fun to fight against him.

My guess is that Alice's dad (Nakiri Natsu) will eventually come back to take the school back. Azami isn't even the actual "head" of the Nakiri clan, he's just a son-in-law. They clearly love bringing characters back (e.g. Leonora) and they went out of their way not to show you Alice's dad's design.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

alice's dad.....

imagine how powerful he must be to have such a wife and daughter.........

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

It's not even that bad that she's an rear end in a top hat about it so long as it isn't treated completely seriously - Aoki flipping out and going hot blooded was pretty funny.

It should also be noted that Erina didn't just go "get this poo poo away from me." She flatout advised them on things they could have done to make it better so that they can improve. It's part of what makes the scene good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Davincie posted:

alice's dad.....

I bet He's probably like bandana-less Ryo and totally low energy

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

i don't think she ever really displayed good chemistry with erina considering their relationship was pretty much master and servant

hisako twisted the relationship pretty badly to begin with, but yeah she got a chance to grow after she lost and actually had to stand on her own

erina just kinda sucks as a character in general, about the only person she seems to have any chemistry with at all is alice

She's not particularly interesting when interacting with Alice either, it's just that as long as she's not interacting with Soma she has actual characterisation quirks outside of being a tsundere jerk.

Like, she gets hyped about playing cards or gets very into helping Hisako study for the tournament. She suddenly shows aspects of having a personality, a pretty boring and uninteresting one sure, but still way better than how she acts most of the time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I will say that I would not have expected that the first person to join the dorm from the list of supporting characters would be Erina.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Is it weird that I find this Azami development so lame that I've basically dropped this series?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

You're pretty weird in general.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Is it weird that I find this Azami development so lame that I've basically dropped this series?

I guess?

I didn't like the idea either but it's been better than I thought it was going to be.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I think the story beat is kinda dumb and forced but I still like the characters :shrug:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Fabricated posted:

:yeah:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Davincie posted:

alice's dad.....

I hope he is literally the Swedish Chef. I know her mom is the Danish one but still I need it to happen.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Fabricated posted:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Alice saved it for me, just so the plot is not "Girl locked in room for 100 chapters."

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

SystemLogoff posted:

Alice saved everything

Truth.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I don't hate Erina and I want to see Azami get food-punched in the face, so I'm interested to see where it goes. I also just genuinely like the cast so as long as they're doing fun and amusing things I can stick it out through some weirder plot twists.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The problem with food hitler is that his introduction is completely serious even though the rest of the manga is pretty silly and light-hearted. Even the previous deathly serious cooking battles have been held over fairly trivial stakes, aside from those that Souma inflicts on himself. Sure, the dude works better with pressure, but even his opponents don't particularly want him to give up being a chef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

The problem with food hitler is that his introduction is completely serious even though the rest of the manga is pretty silly and light-hearted. Even the previous deathly serious cooking battles have been held over fairly trivial stakes, aside from those that Souma inflicts on himself. Sure, the dude works better with pressure, but even his opponents don't particularly want him to give up being a chef.

If you don't find his overblown seriousness and INTENSELY SHADOWED FACE hilarious in and of itself I don't know what to tell you