Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do any of you heel-toe while downshifting ? I'm thinking of learning to do it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014
For you o/o what are you pulling a month profit and what are you doing?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

jonathan posted:

Do any of you heel-toe while downshifting ? I'm thinking of learning to do it well.

I do occasionally. I usually blip the accelerator on downshifts where possible, but pedal spacing/offset is usually such that you can't heel and toe.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mooseykins posted:

I do occasionally. I usually blip the accelerator on downshifts where possible, but pedal spacing/offset is usually such that you can't heel and toe.

I mean yeah I blip the throttle to downshift but in a truck I kinda just get on the brakes, then off the brakes to blip throttle and downshift then back on the brakes. Repeat. This is to keep the rpms up so the Jake works well.

Anyways I figure if I start heel toeing I'll have plenty of opportunity to get ultra smooth at it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

gently caress me, has Freightliner QC always been this bad? My new job is at a fleet with 100% new Cascadias (oldest one is a '12 with 700k, and we're in the middle of receiving a 12 truck order) and all the time I'm not getting trailers up to snuff is spent fixing factory fuckups (and the typical Mercedes plastic failures, but those I expected). Literally every single one has had the compression fittings behind the plate for the trailer lines loose, I've seen 2 grilles that had peeling chrome on delivery, and random poo poo just not bolted down properly all over.
DD16s though, holy poo poo best engine ever. They fixed every single thing that pissed me off about the 13/15.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tommychu posted:

gently caress me, has Freightliner QC always been this bad? My new job is at a fleet with 100% new Cascadias (oldest one is a '12 with 700k, and we're in the middle of receiving a 12 truck order) and all the time I'm not getting trailers up to snuff is spent fixing factory fuckups (and the typical Mercedes plastic failures, but those I expected). Literally every single one has had the compression fittings behind the plate for the trailer lines loose, I've seen 2 grilles that had peeling chrome on delivery, and random poo poo just not bolted down properly all over.
DD16s though, holy poo poo best engine ever. They fixed every single thing that pissed me off about the 13/15.

Yup! But I'd say that goes for every truck ever made. Seriously I've never seen a brand new truck that didn't have some sort of electrical or emissions gremlin. Like every single new western star in the field that sets off alarms to watch out for ice every time you use the 2 way radio. Or the most simple dash switch clusters in the industry yet even the dealerships cant get simple things like cab light switches to work correctly, ever.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Tommychu posted:

What does it matter? The way they are recycling drivers now, trucks CAN'T loving last. How the gently caress do you break a loving 8 speed in 270,000 miles? Engine was sucking oil down as well, windows all leaked air. Mirrors about to loving fall off. I'm not going to go on about how well I suck dicks and poo poo, because my truck didn't get washed by me, and I might broom the fucker out once a month, but holy poo poo, that bitch held together, shifted nice and tight and didn't have loving u-joint pongs and 5thwheel slap at 400,000K. Don't like automatics because they aren't smooth enough for my liking while backing, even if other people are impressed how smoothly I can back one up and under a trailer. I'm about to go be a loving Porter and the local Tits&rear end and enjoy 8 hour days and a steady paycheck of getting paid what little I make for the hours I work.

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014

InterceptorV8 posted:

What does it matter? The way they are recycling drivers now, trucks CAN'T loving last. How the gently caress do you break a loving 8 speed in 270,000 miles? Engine was sucking oil down as well, windows all leaked air. Mirrors about to loving fall off. I'm not going to go on about how well I suck dicks and poo poo, because my truck didn't get washed by me, and I might broom the fucker out once a month, but holy poo poo, that bitch held together, shifted nice and tight and didn't have loving u-joint pongs and 5thwheel slap at 400,000K. Don't like automatics because they aren't smooth enough for my liking while backing, even if other people are impressed how smoothly I can back one up and under a trailer. I'm about to go be a loving Porter and the local Tits&rear end and enjoy 8 hour days and a steady paycheck of getting paid what little I make for the hours I work.

Your going to become a janitor at TA?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Your going to become a janitor at TA?

TA, Petro, Mustang Sally's.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tommychu posted:

Probably. There's talks in meetings here about running a top down campaign to instill confidence in our trucks, since the drivers think they're poo poo before they even get in them and the driver managers aren't helping.

But then we talk about moving to a 3 year cycle on the fleet.

And emails going around with info from the Freightliner rep about major radiator problems with the 2015-2016 models. They're calling it a supplier issue, but who knows.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
DEF/DPF delete on "my" new 2014 Pete tri drive.

Suck my rear end California!

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014

FogHelmut posted:

Probably. There's talks in meetings here about running a top down campaign to instill confidence in our trucks, since the drivers think they're poo poo before they even get in them and the driver managers aren't helping.

But then we talk about moving to a 3 year cycle on the fleet.

And emails going around with info from the Freightliner rep about major radiator problems with the 2015-2016 models. They're calling it a supplier issue, but who knows.

Seeing as how most that poo poo is made in mexico by people that make a daily salary of what I spend on lunch, not suprised

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is buying a glider chassis and putting in a pretty def motor still a thing ? In Canada ?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

AFAIK, yes. Since deletes are still (very technically) legal and much cheaper they're still the go-to.
Learned how to back up with super B's today. At the end of a 13 hour shift, the most stressful one since I started with this company in fact, and while seconds away from coating the seat of the shunt truck with last night's questionable vindaloo. Didn't do too bad actually, I rather surprised myself. Only pulled forward twice.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 13, 2015

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
Almost 6 years after abruptly closing the doors on his company just days before Christmas, former CEO of Arrow Trucking, Doug Pielsticker, has been sentenced to serve 7 and a half years in jail and pay $22 million in restitution and fines.
After needing a delay to take more time to decide his sentence, a federal judge finally announced Pielsticker would spend 90 months in jail. Initially, Pielsticker had been charged with 23 counts in a federal conspiracy case, but he was able to reduce those down to just one count of conspiracy and one count of tax fraud in exchange for pleading guilty.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/arrow-trucking-owner-sentenced-to-7-years-pay-22-million/

Truckin'

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
About time something happened to that dickwallet.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do they have a tie in with these guys at all ? http://www.arrow.ca/

They mostly haul those super-b chip trailers.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A photo, from the road!

Not sure why this doesn't work. Using the awful android app to post

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Fixed this for you:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Fixed this for you:

That is a heavy motherfucker!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
45,000kg payload, offroad. It weighs in over 151,000lbs total

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
what happened to iv8?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

jonathan posted:

A photo, from the road!

That is one sweet rig.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Preoptopus posted:

what happened to iv8?

Wasn't working out, had to let him go.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The mack is sold. I'm just a regular ol' civilian now :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

what happened to iv8?

The road.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hopefully, psychiatric care. Cause if you're in this business, you need it.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

what happened to iv8?

I still pull loads to keep my CDL (and my time up) but gently caress doing this poo poo full loving time anymore. I tried moving to a different company and they monkey hosed my wages so loving fast I laughed and politely quit stating that "This wasn't going to work out" not the fact they unknowing paid drivers EMPTY miles different than LOADED miles, and the job sucked at I wasn't going to spend my off time rebuilding chain sets for free for the company truck.

That and I've seen too many idiots on the road, me included, ten years, it wears on you. One thing that is great is that I can now let my rage out since I'm always in a different truck. And tossing full water bottles at loving idiots never gets old, right in the fuckin
roof. BONG!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Come to northern Canada. Nobody to harass you but the wolves.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

InterceptorV8 posted:

And tossing full water bottles at loving idiots never gets old, right in the fuckin roof. BONG!
Do you reserve the full piss bottles for drivers you like?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Watching an open gatorade bottle filled with rich, golden piss sail out of a truck's window directly into a Masshole's windshield is something I will always treasure.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

nmfree posted:

Do you reserve the full piss bottles for drivers you like?

Those are for drivers that park sideways in the yard like retards. Half a bottle down the fresh air vent is a great way to teach someone a lesson in parking.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Also climbing a very long grade with the engine banging redline for 40 miles or so is loving funny. Bottom side dump pipes at 2200 RPM, scared the gently caress outta a lot of people.

Also, automatics suck. Even in manual, they'll drop a cog when the RPM get "too low" and bang the driveline. I can see them causing problems on a long downgrade in bad weather.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Interesting article in Esquire documenting one guy's experience during his first year in long-haul trucking:

THE LONG HAUL: ONE YEAR OF SOLITUDE ON AMERICA'S HIGHWAYS

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Good read. I do IT/Help Desk at a larger carrier and reminded me of some the stories I'd hear from the drivers when I was in Operations.

Any thoughts on the mandatory ELDs by 12/17 announcement? Got a feeling it'll be the straw that broke the camel's back for some old timers and they'll just retire.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

SOON:

February 3.

American Truck Simulator

http://store.steampowered.com/app/270880/

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

toplitzin posted:

SOON:

February 3.

American Truck Simulator

http://store.steampowered.com/app/270880/

I'm about to have a fuckin' stroke here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

quote:

twitch.tv/jayblastone 11 hours ago
Will there be MACK Trucks in it? if you have MACK Trucks, its an instant BUY!!!!

I wonder who this could be. :q:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InterceptorV8 posted:

I wonder who this could be. :q:

No, just a MAC truck that follows around anyone driving an International.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InterceptorV8 posted:

I'm about to have a fuckin' stroke here.

I bet this is sort of like when my grandfather saw us playing Call of Duty, huh?

• Locked thread