Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jarogue posted:

1-S in Woolly World is great and hard to 100%.

How does it compare to Poochy Ain't Stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Without fail in Woolly World, I find that I'm always missing one stamp bead whenever I get to the end of the level, no matter how hard I look and explore.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Regy Rusty posted:

I find the secret to enjoying Woolly World is to only care about getting the flowers and yarn collectibles. The stamp beads are really dumb since there's no way to tell whether or not you missed any until the very end of a level. Also trying to finish a level with full health is often annoying.

Fortunately those aspects are really easy to ignore and everything else about the game is fantastic so far.

At least you can focus on one level goal at a time.

As amazing as the original YI is, it's a loving nightmare to get 100 on some of the levels.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

At least you can focus on one level goal at a time.

As amazing as the original YI is, it's a loving nightmare to get 100 on some of the levels.

Yeah that too. So if I do decide to go back later for 100% (I doubt I will but who knows) I won't have to get the things I already did.

For the original YI I didn't even bother with trying to get any of the collectibles, it was way too annoying.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've played the first three levels so far. Really enjoyed them. Got 100% everything on them my first try, though. Haven't missed anything yet, which is nice and relaxing.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I bored my father half to death describing how great Woolly World is and how much I'm enjoying it so far, then launching into a brief history and comparison of past Yoshi games, but it's his fault that he didn't tell me to shut up. It's nice that he lets me do that sometimes. Some parents don't take/feign any interest in their kids' hobbies.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
the name of the next console will be the nintendo revolution

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Woolly World is generally pretty easy if you just make a bee-line for the exit, but it can thrown a drat-good challenge at you if you try for all thirty hidden collectibles (5 Wonder Wools, 5 Sunflowers, 20 Hidden Beads). There's no detriment to spending some beads on the level-start item bonuses, and the Reveal Hidden Items one is well worth the 5,000 Beads.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You need to know about the infinite jump to nt die in some spot while your garbing stuff. But not as hard as Poochy.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I find the secret to enjoying Woolly World is to only care about getting the flowers and yarn collectibles. The stamp beads are really dumb since there's no way to tell whether or not you missed any until the very end of a level. Also trying to finish a level with full health is often annoying.

Yeah the beads work like the red coins as you can see the stamp in them. But yeah the ones I miss the the most are the ones in invisible clouds. Also the health thing isn't as bad as the Island games. Also if you want to cheeze it you can load up a Yoshi Amiibo get it to full heath and keep it in a yarn ball for the rest of the level and it still counts.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jarogue posted:

Yeah the beads work like the red coins as you can see the stamp in them.

Really? I can't make it out

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah just finished world 1 and the bonus level to 100% which took roughly 2.5 hours and I imagine it gets a little harder. That was as lot of fun, this is definitely the best Yoshi since the original.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Really? I can't make it out

Try looking in the middle of the beads you should see it there. It easy to see on the large ones but kind of hard to see on the medium size one.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think that's only on ones you've already got when you come back through the level.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I love this game

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Oh yeah I forgot that I glitched out the game in the second level

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Played the first three levels w/ my gf. Should be a good time as we work our way through. Only missed 2 things in those three levels.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Been a while since I've played Poochy Aint Stupid but I feel 1-S hits the same "they expect me to do WHAT" difficulty jump that I remember from that game. One of the badges takes a lot of the pressure off, but it's still challenging.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What controllers are supported by Yoshi? Can my girlfriend and I play it with our pro controllers?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

What controllers are supported by Yoshi? Can my girlfriend and I play it with our pro controllers?

there is a screen that pops up for like 30 seconds every time you start the game telling you what controllers you can use, which are the gamepad, the pro controllers, the classic controller, and the wiimote + nunchuck

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Okay level 2-3 in Woolly World is amazing.

Who's a good chomp? Who's a good vicious chomp who wants to eat me? You are! :allears:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I've had fun on the Wii U but I'm not certain what they'd have to show for me to get another Nintendo console over a PS4 or Bone, I hope that Nintendo is able to break into the "hardcore" market and get proper third party support so it doesn't feel like getting a Nintendo console is a choice that locks you out of most multi-platform games (as well as of course providing you many attractive exclusives, because that's really what gives the Wii U life.)

I guess I dunno if the NX will be the release name but god I hope they don't name it something stupid again.

e: also will have to wait and see how the hybrid thing or whatever it is works, it would suck for the home console games to be crippled in any way by having to work on the handheld component.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean you buy a Nintendo console to play Nintendo games then you get a PS4/PC or whatever for everything else. That's kind of how it's always been

Half of the stuff we're hearing about the NX like 2 years before release is probably wrong so I'm not sure why people even really bother talking about it

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I've had enough fun with my Wii U (approaching 20 must own titles) that I think I wouldn't feel "burned" even if NX dropped this time next year. But I probably wouldn't buy it at launch. Though if there is anything owning a Wii U has taught me, I will still buy its games at launch.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

The Lobster posted:

I bored my father half to death describing how great Woolly World is and how much I'm enjoying it so far, then launching into a brief history and comparison of past Yoshi games, but it's his fault that he didn't tell me to shut up. It's nice that he lets me do that sometimes. Some parents don't take/feign any interest in their kids' hobbies.

It's tough being 14

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Louisgod posted:

It's tough being 14

I remember when I was ten I used to recite the pokedex to my parents.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like Yoshi's Woolly World for the most part but the castle theme is one of the most boring who cares song I've ever heard in a video game, like a good margin of the music so far has been kinda take it or leave it but that song in general is just lame.

Enjoying just about everything else though, glad to see the red coins of the game are just as unfun to collect as ever :allears:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Louisgod posted:

It's tough being 14

Haha. :) I'm actually 27 and am the caretaker of my elderly (76) father so when he gets on my nerves I can bug him by doing poo poo like that. E: But like I said he's actually pretty sweet about pretending to feign interest.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 17, 2015

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Yeah the music in woolly world is kinda weak. I'm most of the way through world 1 right now and it's been very samey - literally, the same song's been used like 6 times now for the outdoor levels.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sade posted:

Yeah the music in woolly world is kinda weak. I'm most of the way through world 1 right now and it's been very samey - literally, the same song's been used like 6 times now for the outdoor levels.

The music is by far my biggest issue with the game. It's not terrible, the previous Yoshi sequels were far worse, but I don't know why Nintendo can put out the most lavish, bombastic scores for 3D World or Mario Kart or Tropical Freeze but then when it comes to this or something like the NSMBs it's all just a bunch of crappy keyboard farting

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I wanted to defend YWW's music, but then I realized that I don't remember a single track from that game. Wouldn't compare it to NSMB, because at least it has more than, like, 10 tracks. I remember it being pleasant, I guess, but it's definitely unmemorable.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean you buy a Nintendo console to play Nintendo games then you get a PS4/PC or whatever for everything else. That's kind of how it's always been

Half of the stuff we're hearing about the NX like 2 years before release is probably wrong so I'm not sure why people even really bother talking about it

Buying a PS4 and PC is redundant. Better off buying a Wii U/PC/3DS for maximum fun. If you must get something else get an iPad.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Also Yoshi Wolly World is god drat amazing and fun. Music feels like a lighter Jimmy Buffet concert.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

The music in Wooly World is okay though it doesn't help that the original Yoshi's Island has an insanely good soundtrack (especially that cave music).

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Oddly enough this is the only song I really remember from yoshi island. It's really drat good though:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oKJ2EZnnZRE

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You remember it because that's the best track.

The second best is the castle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY80bejJBgE

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Buying a PS4 and PC is redundant. Better off buying a Wii U/PC/3DS for maximum fun. If you must get something else get an iPad.

This is true and right.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's not a stretch to make a console that's on par with those systems, but it is a stretch to make such a console AND also pack in a controller/handheld that's much more powerful than the Wii U Gamepad. Hence the need for some kind compromise, like making it very expensive, cutting back on horsepower, or selling the devices separately (still with a very high combined price).

If their plan is anything like what we seem to think it is, the two will almost certainly not be sold together.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

If their plan is anything like what we seem to think it is, the two will almost certainly not be sold together.

I think they will be available bundled together but not a forced bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Oddly enough this is the only song I really remember from yoshi island. It's really drat good though:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oKJ2EZnnZRE

That's because it's the best track from the best game. :3:

• Locked thread