Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I feel dirty

I cuck'd my son, he named my 'grandson' after me.

There's nothing in the Pentateuch about cucking your son right :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I feel dirty

I cuck'd my son, he named my 'grandson' after me.

There's nothing in the Pentateuch about cucking your son right :ohdear:

In my current game my ruler "gave a good tumble" to a random courtier, who popped out a kid that ended up inbred. A little snooping and I came to find out the courtier in question was a bastard daughter I didn't even know he had from an earlier seduction spree.

Talk about awkward.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
About "good tumbling" funnies, during my current Ironman I tumbled a nubian courtier that came with a random ex baron displaced by a random neighbor. Out came a black bastard son with some impressive intrigue stats. After one generation intrigue is still in the family blood and I have a white redhead nubian miaphisyte spymaster running around with toga and warpaint. Talk about subtle.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think there's one character in the earliest start date that has the Hellenic religion, which is the classical greek religion. Some people keep clamouring for mechanics or additions, and the devs never do.

I think it's Groogy that posts here that takes particular delight in not adding anything for it.

It's just funny in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure he was mimicking Groggy's responses towards the Hellenic religion. :ssh:

Especially now that it's hidden from the ledger.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm pretty sure he was mimicking Groggy's responses towards the Hellenic religion. :ssh:

This dude gets me. :thumbsup:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Except to the Hellenic religion.

Next patch they somehow make it even less in the game.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Roman Emperors are Zunist.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I didn't know it was hidden now. He should hide the generic Pagan one too while he's hiding stuff, now that they changed the 3 witches I don't think you can ever get that religion either.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Refusal to pander to fans' unquenchable desire for more makes me happy.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

I think there's one character in the earliest start date that has the Hellenic religion, which is the classical greek religion.

Not in the base game at least.
The last Hellenic Pagan in the history files is Caesar Flavius Claudius Iulianus Augustus who died in 363.

The only Hellenic Pagan that spawns in-game is the Lunatic's bastard child of the Rose bush's mother, who the pope immediately kills of old age.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm trying a strategy as a Germanic King where instead of trying to fight gavelkind, I try to use it to set up franchises all over northern europe; each generation, I try to set up a strong duchy (or two small ones) for each son to inherit, while making sure none of the younger sons are strong enough to challenge the eldest.

So far it's working better than I expected. Gavelkind is easy to plan for when you're planning for each son to be independent, and if you're not obsessed with keeping one giant empire together. I haven't had any trouble with challenges from younger siblings, especially since they're usually still children when succession happens; the eldest son already has a head start on prestige and stuff from having a couple token counties during the father's reign, and by the time his siblings are out of their regencies he's already expanded enough and/or consolidated his internal control that they can't possibly stand up to him directly.

in my last succession, I set it up so that my eldest son would inherit the Kingdom of Sweden along with every county in its capital duchy, which I've been dutifully upgrading since the Viking Age started. The next son in line got the Danish crown, along with both of the two-province duchies that make up about half the kingdom. Those duchies are normally really strong (If you're someone who isn't familiar with tribal mechanics, tribal holdings get stronger the more empty holdings there are in the country, and each of those counties normally has like five or six holdings total, and there's also a couple of temples which are generally tribes' primary source of taxes and heavy infantry/cavalry), so much so that I briefly considered moving my capital so the eldest would inherit them. But I decided that the more top-down kingdom of Denmark was better off in the hands of the AI (as opposed to the many vassals of Sweden). The youngest brother, and last in line, got the Kingdom of Scotland which I had just seized via a prepared invasion.

Everything's going pretty smoothly. Not only are my brothers not strong enough to attack me, but they're loyal allies and friends. Thanks to elective gavelkind, the middle brother and I are mutual heirs, so whichever one of us dies first, the result will be me ruling over both Denmark and Sweden as a single realm. I'd like to do a prepared invasion of Frisia before that happens so I can reform the Germanic faith and start converting the Frisian and British countrysides back to the worship of the old gods.

Unfortunately I cannot initiate a prepared invasion due to a bug. The King of West Francia holds a temporary title for a revolt that isn't actually happening. I don't think anything can be done about it until he dies. :negative:

In the meantime I guess I'll just be raiding Ireland and England and Wales to keep building up my capital and piety. :black101:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
So is there supposedly a new DLC? Or did a quantity of smoke get blown up my rectum.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Top Hats Monthly posted:

So is there supposedly a new DLC? Or did a quantity of smoke get blown up my rectum.

There's already been two "dev diaries" about the new DLC, but those were the vaguest dev diaries ever, to the point that they probably don't even deserve that name. So there is going to be a new DLC somewhat soon, but we know next to nothing about it, we just have some hints based on UI changes (alliances tab in the character viewer replaced with "pacts", fleeing armies displaying a white flag on the world map).

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Hambilderberglar posted:

How is it that some pissant vassal can not only imprison his emperor but then go on to blind her (me)? And why isn't this fixed when I immediately arrest his rear end and chop off his loving head? How do you get out of jail in cases like these?
Way of Life. There isnt poo poo you can do if they arent willing to ransom you. Have fun with your regency.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Modding this game is exhausting. Not necessarily because it's difficult, but because in my goal to just add more without changing too much, I go, "Oh, hey, I should add this. Well, since I added this I might as well add this too... well, I've generally thought that adding this was somewhat pointless, but if I added that last thing it would be ridiculous to not add this..."

Should I try finding ethnographic maps of medieval Europe and the Near East? Where would I find such a thing? How do other modders (good ones, I mean, not the kind that add 300 provinces to North Africa) know when to stop?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
When there is nothing left to remove.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I'm new to gravelkind. I'm playing the king of Galicia in 1066 and conquered Portugal down to and including Seville. I've got 3 sons but the middle one decided he wanted vows and I didn't stop him, but my youngest son is inheriting my newly switched capital lisbon's duchy. How do I manipulate it to give him one of the lesser duchies I conquered or Galicia instead.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

catlord posted:

Should I try finding ethnographic maps of medieval Europe and the Near East? Where would I find such a thing? How do other modders (good ones, I mean, not the kind that add 300 provinces to North Africa) know when to stop?
Did I do what I set out to do? If so, good, I'm done.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ImPureAwesome posted:

I'm new to gravelkind. I'm playing the king of Galicia in 1066 and conquered Portugal down to and including Seville. I've got 3 sons but the middle one decided he wanted vows and I didn't stop him, but my youngest son is inheriting my newly switched capital lisbon's duchy. How do I manipulate it to give him one of the lesser duchies I conquered or Galicia instead.

Give him a duchy. If he already received titles from you before inheriting, his inheritance will be smaller. Just save first, to see how it works out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Gavelkind is always a pain in the rear end and you don't really have much control over it. You might be able to just give him those titles now - I think when distributing titles on death Gavelkind will take into account titles already held when deciding how to hand them out (so the son with three duchies won't get another one until everyone else has been given three duchies first).

Generally though you just kind of have to live with however it works out. If there's a particular title you REALLY want to keep, you can set it to be your capital - capital counties, and all the titles above them, will always go to the primary heir.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

If I'm planning to settle as Khazaria on Jerusalem and become Israel, what's the best way to ensure my new kingdom doesn't go to poo poo because most of it is Sunni? I've been removing the lords I've subjugated and replacing them with Khazari Jews if I can, because I can crush their revolts right now, but I'm not sure that'll be enough to keep the kingdom together when I settle. I also can't burn a too much land because I need a good chunk of it to form an Israel that can withstand the Abbasids.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Although you can't force conversions as a nomad, you can still use your court chaplain to convert people/provinces, so you can send them to work converting your vassals to make most of them friendlier before you settle down.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Sucks that Israel is only mediumly done with nomads.

Start as Sieman and good luck at that fight

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gyre posted:

If I'm planning to settle as Khazaria on Jerusalem and become Israel, what's the best way to ensure my new kingdom doesn't go to poo poo because most of it is Sunni? I've been removing the lords I've subjugated and replacing them with Khazari Jews if I can, because I can crush their revolts right now, but I'm not sure that'll be enough to keep the kingdom together when I settle. I also can't burn a too much land because I need a good chunk of it to form an Israel that can withstand the Abbasids.

I might give up on settling on my Uyghur game, is probably the hardest part of playing nomad.

Ive turned cathar at the beggining, a vassal converted and I decided to follow just to be able to employ women. Since cathar MA was around 0, I wanst able to covert almost no provines for hundreds of years. It was only after getting Jerusalem, Rome and Santiago that MA rised to 70% and provinces started to fall in.

Still, now that I have more than half of the know world under my control and want to settle, my empire have like 20 different religions inside it, of all kinds. And not only single provinces either, I have big vassal kings that are catholic (Italy), sunni (Africa), hindu (Delhi), you name it.

They all hate me and are often rebelling, but I can easily keep it together right now with my 25K horde army. But without it Im hosed.

Also, Ive tried I settling as feudal and it causes my empire to split: my primary title is automatically changed to one of the many empire titles I own, and then my most powerful vassal khan gets the Khaganate of Uyghur. I wonder why? Is that because I own multiple empire titles?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 16, 2015

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also, Ive tried I settling as feudal and it causes my empire to split: my primary title is automatically changed to one of the many empire titles I own, and then my most powerful vassal khan gets the Khaganate of Uyghur. I wonder why? Is that because I own multiple empire titles?

That's because you're settling. You give up the horde title and it goes to another clan. If you didn't have any empire titles you'd settle with your highest non-horde title and still lose the horde. I don't really care for it, but what can you do? :shrug:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Grizzwold posted:

That's because you're settling. You give up the horde title and it goes to another clan. If you didn't have any empire titles you'd settle with your highest non-horde title and still lose the horde. I don't really care for it, but what can you do? :shrug:

Oh.

Ok then, at least it means that I only have to care about holding together this part of my former empire, not all of it.

Im curious to see how fast the rest of the khaganate will explode under AI control.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Gyre posted:

Revoke every title, burn everything. Once there are no holdings, all the nomadic land will convert to your culture/religion. Keep a single coastal city as your capital, and then turn into a republic. Every 3 slot holding will get a city/castle/temple, giving you a massive pile of cash/levies from all your vassals.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elias_Maluco posted:

Oh.

Ok then, at least it means that I only have to care about holding together this part of my former empire, not all of it.

Im curious to see how fast the rest of the khaganate will explode under AI control.

It won't. Then after like 10 years they'll come and kill you.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Snatch Duster posted:

It won't. Then after like 10 years they'll come and kill you.

I guess its possible.

At the other hand, the khan that will get the khaganate does not have a 25K horde army and 20K gold like I do, so I wont so easy for him to crush all those independence revolts.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

So, why are Jewish holy sites in weird spots? I get Sinai, Jersualem, Damascus, the others ???

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
What defines a nomadic county? I thought it was when the majority of the holding slots were empty. But now I've got a county with 2 empties and a temple that is counted as nomadic, but another county has 3 empties, a city and a temple, and that one isn't considered nomadic.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I'm pretty sure nomads are allowed to have temples because otherwise their holy sites wouldn't exist.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Back To 99 posted:

I'm pretty sure nomads are allowed to have temples because otherwise their holy sites wouldn't exist.
Holy sites are now defined at the county-level, rather than baronial.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Top Hats Monthly posted:

So, why are Jewish holy sites in weird spots? I get Sinai, Jersualem, Damascus, the others ???

According to the wiki, Hamadan was the home of Cyrus the Great (who freed the Jews from Babylon) and Dhofar was a kingdom of an ancient Jewish kingdom. Hamadan also contains the tomb of Esther and Mordecai which is still a pilgramage site for modern Iranian Jews (who apparentley still exist).

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Ofaloaf posted:

Holy sites are now defined at the county-level, rather than baronial.

Yeah, but I think you still have to have a temple for the full moral authority effect

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

super fart shooter posted:

Yeah, but I think you still have to have a temple for the full moral authority effect

You do. I remember burning all of Persia to the ground as a horde and only getting 5% MA for the holy sites as Zoroastrian.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Back To 99 posted:

Okay, so now I just finished pillaging another county down to 3 empties and a city, and now it's being counted as a nomadic county. So maybe it is the ratio, but it's just gotta be 2/3rds or 3/4ths empty slots? I dunno, I guess I'll keep experimenting...

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

super fart shooter posted:

Okay, so now I just finished pillaging another county down to 3 empties and a city, and now it's being counted as a nomadic county. So maybe it is the ratio, but it's just gotta be 2/3rds or 3/4ths empty slots? I dunno, I guess I'll keep experimenting...
Nopes. If you have 2 non-empties, it doesn't count as nomadic.

You can exploit this in horrifying ways, btw.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Holy poo poo, playing as a relatively weak Jewish guy in Sinai, within 20 years I had broken completely free and taken a poo poo ton of land in the Levant thanks to a bunch of civil wars.

Nice :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Is there a certain percent of men you lose before event armies stop refilling themselves? As ivar I still had about 2.9k left after the invasions and noticed they slowly filled back up but after they got to below 1k they stopped.

• Locked thread