Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sout
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, I did a second save where I did all the other options or in some cases was more consistent in my attitudes towards certain characters, but I'm going to go through ep 5 with my first save, at least initially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

im gay posted:

I kinda want to go back and do a new run-through because I injured Frank during my first save. But who cares? Idk.

I know I said this before, but I actually left Frank dead. I couldn't let go of how he threatened Chloe, so I was somewhat ambivalent over him getting killed after starting poo poo with her.

But even after learning he's actually a big lug and you can patch things up with him, I still haven't gone back to fix things. The way I see it, I cheated by replaying to fix Kate's suicide; she was my one. If I'm gonna save Frank, I'll have to run through this game from the beginning with a new save.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

The way I see it, I cheated by replaying to fix Kate's suicide; she was my one. If I'm gonna save Frank, I'll have to run through this game from the beginning with a new save.

I honestly can't believe I saved her my first time, because I didn't pay very good attention in her room (even though I looked at stuff), and that fake out near the end when it seems like she's gonna come down but then she has one last freak out nearly killed me (and her)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I saw a post on tumblr with Max talking to Kate in the hospital, and I was like "wow that's weird, that seems like an important scene, how'd I miss that?"

"...oh, right."

I feel like having a scene with her in the hospital is good, though. It lets you grow that choice.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I feel that games like these kind of lose their impact when you replay them so I've kept all my decisions. I think the important thing about choice-based narratives is knowing that things could have gone differently, regardless of if you ever chose to go through them again.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

SirKibbles posted:

They released a trailer it was just footage from Ep4 and referencing the storm their playing ep 5 close to the chest. Apparently something more substantial is supposed to drop tomorrow.

Speaking of this, the new teaser definitely has some new footage from Episode 5 but I would say it's nothing groundbreaking, just confirmation of things that were already suspected. That said if there are people that have been watching them but are also for some reason averse to new footage this is the time to drop off.

Anyway since I'm posting it's been amusing just how often Chloe has been taking digs at me after a series of decisions she hated. I appreciate she's not a fan of "step-stalker" but he's pretty much #1 on the list of "people I want looking for me should this exact scenario happen".

sout
Apr 24, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

I feel that games like these kind of lose their impact when you replay them so I've kept all my decisions. I think the important thing about choice-based narratives is knowing that things could have gone differently, regardless of if you ever chose to go through them again.

This is true, however I was itching to play some more so :shrug:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Five days to go. Getting more hyped up. Game has honestly been the only thing I've liked all year. Ended up rewatching the digging up scene from the last ep and, man, I got choked up. Forgot how good (?) that scene was. Chloe's voice actress nails it, and the sooong...

Anyway, that Dan Bull fella who raps Britishly about video games did a song for the game with some more LiS-esque indie chorus-ing. Probably an acquired taste, but hey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW25Po5nwQs

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Kaislioc posted:

Speaking of this, the new teaser definitely has some new footage from Episode 5 but I would say it's nothing groundbreaking, just confirmation of things that were already suspected. That said if there are people that have been watching them but are also for some reason averse to new footage this is the time to drop off.

Anyway since I'm posting it's been amusing just how often Chloe has been taking digs at me after a series of decisions she hated. I appreciate she's not a fan of "step-stalker" but he's pretty much #1 on the list of "people I want looking for me should this exact scenario happen".

It's a little awkward that on the one hand putting up all those secret cameras and harassing people is bad but on the other hand without using the information he'd collected you wouldn't have been able to crack the case. Doesn't mean he was right to collect it but it plays into the "doing what's necessary, not what's popular" narrative he justifies his actions with.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Dolash posted:

It's a little awkward that on the one hand putting up all those secret cameras and harassing people is bad but on the other hand without using the information he'd collected you wouldn't have been able to crack the case. Doesn't mean he was right to collect it but it plays into the "doing what's necessary, not what's popular" narrative he justifies his actions with.

For all his surveillance gear and paranoia David hadn't found poo poo and was actually hilariously off-track, suspecting Kate of dealing drugs. Not a great endorsement for Big Brother. Although... you only crack the case thanks to Max's Privacy Invasion superpower. In fact, it's the only way to save Kate! You don't go back in time and become a better friend. Nope, you either violated her trust and snooped the hell out of her room and every single personal belonging in there, or she's dead.

So, uh, I guess the lesson here is David didn't install enough cameras.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
My favourite part of LiS is people who hate David for putting cameras in the house, before immediately going through everyones things.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Fans posted:

My favourite part of LiS is people who hate David for putting cameras in the house, before immediately going through everyones things.

how the gently caress am i supposed to feel safe rummaging through people's poo poo if there are camera's watching me

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's okay, because we the player are immune to such contentions.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Actually that's mostly true. You can just look through people's phones and computers and they don't give a poo poo. It's Max Caufield. They know better than to speak out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

seravid posted:

For all his surveillance gear and paranoia David hadn't found poo poo and was actually hilariously off-track, suspecting Kate of dealing drugs. Not a great endorsement for Big Brother. Although... you only crack the case thanks to Max's Privacy Invasion superpower. In fact, it's the only way to save Kate! You don't go back in time and become a better friend. Nope, you either violated her trust and snooped the hell out of her room and every single personal belonging in there, or she's dead.

So, uh, I guess the lesson here is David didn't install enough cameras.

David was off-track about Kate, but he was on to Jefferson it seems.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I resolved at the outset that I would commit to all of my choices once it was too late to take them back, and save my meta-gaming for after I completed the story. And I have done so. Fortunately for me, everyone is alive except for Chloe

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Plom Bar posted:

I resolved at the outset that I would commit to all of my choices once it was too late to take them back, and save my meta-gaming for after I completed the story. And I have done so. Fortunately for me, everyone is alive except for Chloe

I thought that too but then I missed saving Alyssa in episode 4 and that's too important so I had to go back and do that.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

By my count, David has at least two handguns left still. That we know of :clint: I'm kinda hoping for his redneck, prepper rear end to bust in and save the day, as his big moment of redemption to close out his arc. Although his relationship is really strained with his family in my playthrough.

Plom Bar posted:

Even Lisa, you over/under-watering heartless MONSTER?!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Oh no I killed the poo poo out of Lisa. Dead as all hell. I stood waving my hand. Watching her drown. Watching her scream. Quiet or loud.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

RightClickSaveAs posted:

By my count, David has at least two handguns left still. That we know of :clint: I'm kinda hoping for his redneck, prepper rear end to bust in and save the day, as his big moment of redemption to close out his arc. Although his relationship is really strained with his family in my playthrough.

Even if he did luck out and find the barn he'd have no way to get into the dark room and Jefferson is in there and probably has his own cameras or some other system to let him know if someone's in the barn or trying to get in.

Like someone else said, David is expecting drugs, so I bet he'd just follow his leads to Frank , gently caress everything up in classic David style and spend the rest of the game awaiting trail for breaking and entering or maybe murder.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I'm probably the one person who couldn't hide for the first Frank confrontation because I was too dumb to realize you could rewind.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Fans posted:

Hey the game constantly points out how noisy and hypocritical Max can be I'm just playing in character :colbert: On another topic can you get an IEP file just for being a transfer? I've been trying to guess what that could be on Max's school file.

Also rest of the story aside I like how Chloe is a really accurate depiction on depression. That how media really misses that bitter spiteful half of it and how loving annoying that can be to deal with.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Ghetto Prince posted:

There's a weird thing going on where the series starts with amazing writing and lovely gameplay , and ends with amazing gameplay and lovely writing.

Yeah that would be real bad for LiS because it's leaning a lot more on story than gameplay for me. I mean it's not bad gameplay, but that's not what brings me to the genre. There also isn't a multi-year gap where I've been acidly waiting since they knocked it our of the park on a second installment. I'm optimistic, and I hope we hear more about their vampire game soon.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

exquisite tea posted:

Absolutely, I feel the same way.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Do we have any idea what kind of time the game is likely to go up? Hoping for Tuesday morning UK time.

Anyway, have to get into some gossip about fictional teenagers:
I missed some big stuff in the Dana (the cheerleader) subplot. She cheated on her boyfriend, got knocked up and probably got an abortion? And do we know why she hated Rachel Amber so much? (She has one of the Missing Persons poster in her room with BITCH scrawled across it.) [EDIT: never mind, that was in Victoria's room. I stupided.]

Also seems like even you pick the least hetero dialogue options with Chloe, Max mentions there being "cute guys" at Blackwell. I'm sticking with my prediction that as much as the shippers want it, there won't be any confirmed romance there...

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 16, 2015

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

VagueRant posted:

I missed some big stuff in the Dana (the cheerleader) subplot. She cheated on her boyfriend, got knocked up and probably got an abortion?

Dana didn't cheat on her boyfriend, that was a lie Victoria told Juliet as payback for Juliet slamming the Vortex Club in the school paper. Also it's ambiguous if she got an abortion or had a miscarriage, since she has a bunch of books on single parenting.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
She didn't cheat on Trevor with Zachary (Juliet's fella), but apparently did with Logan.

At least according to the wiki. I can't remember any of the male students except Warren and Nathan.
http://life-is-strange.wikia.com/wiki/Dana_Ward

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I think she started going out with Trevor after she broke up with Logan (as a result of the pregnancy), because when you see him in the diner later he's talking about just having started to go out with her.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think you can even see it in Episode 1. If you check her computer, I think you can see Trevor asking her hang out and smoke weed and play video games.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, Logan is an rear end in a top hat guy (at the Vortex party he hits on Max) who got Dana pregnant and sent her a letter saying he'd help financially. This was probably after leaving her because of her being pregnant. Dana likely has a miscarriage because it seems like she was preparing for motherhood.

Then Dana hooks up with Trevor who is really good to her.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Guys. Guys.

GUYS.

2 days.

I am hype incarnate.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Guys. Guys.

GUYS.

2 days.

I am hype incarnate.

I'm on East Coast PS4 so I have to wait until stupid 7 PM on Stupid Tuesday, but at least this time I'll have the last Tales From the Borderlands episode to keep me busy.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Just marathoned through this in the space of a few days, goddamn. The dialogue is cringey at times but the story has a ton of charm. It turned into a really excellent story that I'm very invested in.

Thoughts:
  • This started fairly light but with a background buzz of "something is wrong here" (Rachel's disappearance, everything that was happening with Kate, the Vortex Club being absolutely everywhere) and just got progressively darker.
  • Chloe is a good foil for Max.
  • Is it just me, or has the chromatic aberration been decreasing as the story gets darker?
  • Episode 4 is absolutely incredible. It brings a lot of plot threads together with some big twists and more than one devastating moment.
  • The investigation board thing was really good. Hits the right point between "I'm actually doing some investigation of my own" and the usual adventure game "mash every object against every other object to proceed".
  • I sat in the chair in Chloe's room after you return to the true timeline and just thought about what happened. It's not often a game makes me self-reflective. Those little breather moments are well-placed.
  • I wasn't expecting to actually find Rachel's body. The scene was fantastic - the music playing, them furiously digging, Chloe mentioning the smell. I think mine bugged out - the music was playing but the voice audio wasn't, although the subtitles were still appearing. I actually like it better that way.
  • Speaking of, the soundtrack has been consistently great throughout. Really adds a lot to the big scenes.
  • The choices have felt more impactful than Telltale's choices. Kate's death/nondeath feels a lot more impactful, for example.
  • Going back to play Telltale's GoT is difficult after this.
  • Freak snowstorms, eclipses, double moons, mass bird death, beached whales, ants crawling in vortices. Just get the gently caress out. Why is anyone still in this town?

If they can pull off a decent finale I'm happy to say this is one of the best games of the year (in a year filled with amazing games). Pretty glad that I picked it up late - having to wait more than a few days for the next episode would've killed me.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

Oh no I killed the poo poo out of Lisa. Dead as all hell. I stood waving my hand. Watching her drown. Watching her scream. Quiet or loud.

Maybe you should sleep.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Flashing Twelve posted:

Just marathoned through this in the space of a few days, goddamn. The dialogue is cringey at times but the story has a ton of charm. It turned into a really excellent story that I'm very invested in.

Thoughts:
list of things

If they can pull off a decent finale I'm happy to say this is one of the best games of the year (in a year filled with amazing games). Pretty glad that I picked it up late - having to wait more than a few days for the next episode would've killed me.

May want to spoiler tag some of those things. Agree with what you have to say though, great game and I'm excited about what's going to come in the finale.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

So wait, what time is the the episode coming out, midnight BST (e:wednesday morning) is it?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Just marathoned through the first four episodes in one extremely long and unhealthy sitting, but I just couldn't put the controller down. I can't recall shedding this many manly tears over a video game in my entire life. Just, every time you turn around emotions are flying everywhere.

I'm stoked that I picked this game up just in time to grab the last episode in a couple days. I can't imagine how those of you who have had to wait months in between each episode were able to stand it.

I somehow missed all the foreshadowing about Jefferson, so that twist caught me right out of left field. Which I'm kind of glad I didn't pick up on it because it's always fun to pick your jaw up off the floor. Chloe's fate didn't surprise me as much though, I kind of figured she was destined to die considering the Universe has been trying it's best to off her since the beginning of the week. I kind of hope they don't pull plot shenanigans to bring her back for a happy ending. I'm sure they will, but I think doing so is going to dilute the experience a little.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

sout posted:

So wait, what time is the the episode coming out, midnight BST (e:wednesday morning) is it?

Probably around 1 PM EST if Valve updates the usual time but didn't the last one come out earlier?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

Probably around 1 PM EST if Valve updates the usual time but didn't the last one come out earlier?

I dunno, this will be the first time (or maybe I bought it just before ep4 came out?) that I played an episode on release date so I couldn't tell you, just misunderstood the post below.
Cheers!

DivisionPost posted:

I'm on East Coast PS4 so I have to wait until stupid 7 PM on Stupid Tuesday, but at least this time I'll have the last Tales From the Borderlands episode to keep me busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
I've heard so many possible times that mentally I've just given up and resigned myself to not getting it until Wednesday. That way I can be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong. :v:

• Locked thread