Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Saw a brand new MX-5 for the first time. Hadn't thought much of them in images but in the flesh they are pretty good looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Well, I didn't want kastein to cry any more about me not wrenching anything, so I bought a 2005 Buick Rendezvous Ultra in some shady craigslist deal. It has been rode hard and put away wet... it's filthy inside and out, scratched, ripped, torn, transmission may be out, ABS and AWD are disabled, it's a mess. But for $1800, I couldn't pass it up. Hell, I've thrown more money at bicycles than that. So... I'll have some transformation pics in the detailing thread over the next week or so.

So it begins:

I couldn't remember if this was one of the many GMT360 platform trucks, so I fired up Wikipedia.

You bought a rebadged Aztek, which can trace its roots back to the Dustbuster Van.

You didn't have to go full 14 INCH, man.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

freelop posted:

Saw a brand new MX-5 for the first time. Hadn't thought much of them in images but in the flesh they are pretty good looking.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So the wife just told me that a coworker is looking to get rid of his '87 Toyota pickup as he upgraded to a '90. I know nothing about it except for the price.

$400.

I'm thinking about it...
You're overthinking, just buy it.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I understand why people were jumping down Fjelltorsk's throat, but he was nice enough to buy a ticket to my Jack and Jill party even though he's halfway across the world, just to show his support, even though he only knows me on IRC.

You guys really need to tone it down sometimes. Everyone has their problems. Nobody got hurt and the guy is a cool dude.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I couldn't remember if this was one of the many GMT360 platform trucks, so I fired up Wikipedia.

You bought a rebadged Aztek, which can trace its roots back to the Dustbuster Van.

loving insanity, I tell you.

In other news, I have never in my life started to clean the paint of a vehicle with Simple Green. It's that bad.

And it's that bad on the inside, too. So much built up garbage... literal garbage, everywhere. I'm stripping the interior, because that's the only way it'll get clean.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What kind of transmission problems are having?

Edit: looking at these engines - god drat, GM was not ready to give up the cam in block arrangement. I mean after killing off the 3.8, they still made an engine with a cam in the block.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 16, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So the wife just told me that a coworker is looking to get rid of his '87 Toyota pickup as he upgraded to a '90. I know nothing about it except for the price.

$400.

I'm thinking about it...

That's way below market value here unless it has rusted in half!

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

I didn't realize you'd owned a cassis C70. :swoon:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Saw Marc Maron last night. Brilliant show, had me in stitches over his "depression wank" monologue. Sometimes I wish I was living in the US or closer to it so I could see comedians like him more regularly

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

IOwnCalculus posted:

Its actually worse than the Aztek on the basis its rear looks like Goatse

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

:rip:

And the black Saturn Astra guy.

He and I have a bunch of mutual friends irl and we met up once

He's a cool dude

Noise Complaint posted:

I understand why people were jumping down Fjelltorsk's throat, but he was nice enough to buy a ticket to my Jack and Jill party even though he's halfway across the world, just to show his support, even though he only knows me on IRC.

You guys really need to tone it down sometimes. Everyone has their problems. Nobody got hurt and the guy is a cool dude.

The only thing I said wrt the whole situation was "hmm that may explain why he never responded to me when I asked him something in Norwegian" and he quoted me telling me to "a my rear end" so either google translate didn't work well for him, he was drunk, or he is a Norwegian hillbilly

I mean he seemed like a cool dude and had he posted a reasonable explanation to everything (like, idk, manic depression spurred by cancer) then I would be totally understanding.

And yeah he doesn't owe us an explanation, but an explanation would be really nice

Edit edit: daww thanks guys :glomp:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 17, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

Its actually worse than the Aztek on the basis its rear looks like Goatse

Dammit, I can't unsee this

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

mariooncrack posted:

Dammit, I can't unsee this

Neither can I. :iamafag:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What kind of transmission problems are having?

Edit: looking at these engines - god drat, GM was not ready to give up the cam in block arrangement. I mean after killing off the 3.8, they still made an engine with a cam in the block.

Hunting and very slow/no engagement at times. Fluid is dark and smells nasty. I was hoping that a solenoid change would help, along with filter and fluid. I'm still holding out hope, but this is what I found under the seat:

:ohdear:

SEE WHAT YOU MADE ME DO, KASTEIN! :argh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Tusen Takk posted:

He and I have a bunch of mutual friends irl and we met up once

He's a cool dude

The only thing I said wrt the whole situation was "hmm that may explain why he never responded to me when I asked him something in Norwegian" and he quoted me telling me to "a my rear end" so either google translate didn't work well for him, he was drunk, or he is a Norwegian hillbilly

I mean he seemed like a cool dude and had he posted a reasonable explanation to everything (like, idk, manic depression spurred by cancer) then I would be totally understanding.

And yeah he doesn't owe us an explanation, but an explanation would be really nice

Edit edit: daww thanks guys :glomp:

He gave us an explanation on IRC and it was good enough for everyone, including kastein, who you guys should honestly trust by now, considering he posts more useful, helpful, truthful content on this subforum than most anyone else, period.

Fjell's definitely from Norway, I have the Paypal receipt to prove it. I just wouldn't push the guy. I know what it's like to have massive anxiety/PTSD issues. It loving sucks, and you can do some irrational poo poo to try to get some positive attention. I doesn't make much sense to most and it comes off as really lovely, but who here doesn't have their own issues.

That said, AI is a great group of people in general. I actually have more AI'ers coming to my wedding in December than non-AI friends. So whatev.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Noise Complaint posted:

He gave us an explanation on IRC and it was good enough for everyone on IRC, including kastein, who you guys should honestly trust by now, considering he posts more useful, helpful, truthful content on this subforum than most anyone else, period.

Fjell's definitely from Norway, I have the Paypal receipt to prove it. I just wouldn't push the guy. I know what it's like to have massive anxiety/PTSD issues. It loving sucks, and you can do some irrational poo poo to try to get some positive attention. I doesn't make much sense to most and it comes off as really lovely, but who here doesn't have their own issues.

That said, AI is a great group of people in general. I actually have more AI'ers coming to my wedding in December than non-AI friends. So whatev.

Dude, I swear he isn't a cop. He's cool. Can we just do this already?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Noise Complaint posted:

He gave us an explanation on IRC and it was good enough for everyone, including kastein, who you guys should honestly trust by now, considering he posts more useful, helpful, truthful content on this subforum than most anyone else, period.

Nobody is stopping him from posting here, so enough with the "you guys" bullshit.

I trust what Ken says and think it's fine, but If he's butthurt over it and doesn't want to post that's his problem, not ours.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

zundfolge posted:

I didn't realize you'd owned a cassis C70. :swoon:

Yep, manual, too. A real unicorn. Lowered just enough...

Noise Complaint posted:

Great, he made good with the people on IRC. He got called out by the moderator and did not reply in AI actual, though. Regardless of your feelings, that is an open issue.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 17, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Drill Weekend. Why is it every weekend I don't have work projects is a drill weekend?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

My girlfriend's gay best friend just bought a Smart ForTwo.

I drove it up and down the street for shits and giggles and goddamn does that transmission not know what gear to get into ever.

I did mat it and get up to 55 in a blistering 15 seconds or so though. :flashfact:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Pretty sure I just blew up the starter in the forester :v:

Swapping in the old semi-working starter in tomorrow and I'd it starts without problems, I'll be ordering a new one.

On an unrelated note, anybody know if the auto and manual starters for Subaru's are different?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Homeowner chat:

The builders slopped a fair bit of concrete over the edges of the foundation excavations when they cast the perimiter beams for my verandah posts, and since ive only got half a meter of space between the verandah edge and my boundary fence (2m to the actual house walls) to put a garden bed in, i needed to clean it up a bit.

Got a diamond saw and went to work. I had no idea what I had gotten myself into...

Holy poo poo thats a lot of concrete!

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I should shimmy under my house this weekend and run a bunch of coax :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Some people have had a lot of loving avatars.

Holy poo poo Rhyno :psyduck:

In my defense, BSS is terrible.

That slatwall makes me so envious. I wish mine hadn't been ruined.

meatpimp posted:

Great, he made good with the people on IRC. He got called out by the moderator and did not reply in AI actual, though. Regardless of your feelings, that is an open issue.

I don't even care about his stupid cars or fabulous house. I wanted to know if he lied about having cancer for sympathy/attention. That's all. After that I don't care if he ever posts here again.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I ran my place full of cat6 while the plaster was off the walls... but forgot to install coax cables into the other two bedrooms....

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Ferremit posted:

I ran my place full of cat6 while the plaster was off the walls... but forgot to install coax cables into the other two bedrooms....

when i bought the house i was like sweet! coax jacks in my office and living room! and then found out they don't actually have any continuity to anything...

on the plus side the underside of my house is pretty clean!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Why on earth are we pounding this over and over and over? The guy faked/didn't fake, whatever he did, you guys need to quit obsessing over this poo poo.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Why on earth are we pounding this over and over and over? The guy faked/didn't fake, whatever he did, you guys need to quit obsessing over this poo poo.

i care deeply about posting

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

always post with honor

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
My post is 100% approved by myself. Seriously :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BrokenKnucklez posted:

They still do. I think all of their 4 cylinders are OHC now, their V8s are pretty much all OHV, and I think the V6s are a mix.

Even the Corvette is still rocking a cam in the block.

Moxie Omen posted:

I should shimmy under my house this weekend and run a bunch of coax :(

Why not run it in the attic? Or is going under easier?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

In my defense, BSS is terrible.

Why on earth do you post there?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

some texas redneck posted:

They still do. I think all of their 4 cylinders are OHC now, their V8s are pretty much all OHV, and I think the V6s are a mix.

Even the Corvette is still rocking a cam in the block.

Why not run it in the attic? Or is going under easier?

With the no start dead, they are running all ohv engines. The v6s are mostly DOHC, maybe 1 exception. I know the new Impala is dohc V6 and turbo 4s, I'm not sure about the rest of the line up

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Previa_fun posted:

My girlfriend's gay best friend just bought a Smart ForTwo.

I drove it up and down the street for shits and giggles and goddamn does that transmission not know what gear to get into ever.

I did mat it and get up to 55 in a blistering 15 seconds or so though. :flashfact:
I can't imagine what matting it for 15 seconds would do my car.
Probably about 130?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Moxie Omen posted:

when i bought the house i was like sweet! coax jacks in my office and living room! and then found out they don't actually have any continuity to anything...

First thing I thought of. [source]

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

ilkhan posted:

I can't imagine what matting it for 15 seconds would do my car.
Probably about 130?

To be honest it was kind of fun to whip around at low speeds. The three cylinder didn't even sound that terrible. It'd be a halfway decent (if impractical and overpriced) vehicle with a three pedal transmission.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Anyone else watching world time attack livestream?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Link?!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Why on earth do you post there?

Because I am terrible.

It is my gift.

It is my curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Previa_fun posted:

It can't be said enough, the Smart would be a great car if the transmission was anything but horrific.

So driveline puns aside, today was a loving adventure. Towed the truck to work, ordered a u-joint to be delivered ($14, cool). Let the record state that I ordered by VIN at the local Delco dealer (like, regular parts store but it's all ACDelco and they have access to the GM warehouse system and other stuff), talked to the guy who's been getting my poo poo right for ten years, verified 3 times that I wanted the joint that sits in the rear diff yoke. fixed some trucks, then an hour before my shift's up boss says 'pull that bucket in so you can get the joint in without missing supper". Boss is a cool guy.
Change the joint, shaft is a little beat up oh well it'll get me home. Took a while to clean up the yoke eyes, get all the crap out of the snap ring grooves, etc. Get it back under the truck gently caress ME THEY SOLD ME THE T-CASE SIDE JOINT. Diff side joint has a ~2mm larger cap on the diff yoke (but has the small size on the weld yoke so it went into the shaft just fine) with some external snap rings to locate it. Call the only parts store that's still open, they have the right one but it's Chinesium and double the price of the Delco. Cue parts run in shop truck.
OKAY the right joint is in the shaft now. Carry it back to the truck and halfway there a cap falls off. Needles everywhere. Rookie mistake I knew better but hey, when you're in a rush...
Needles back in, slip yoke shoved in the tcase, flange it up goddammit I put the joint in backwards. Diff yoke blocks the zerk. Put grease to it with the shaft on the ground, but only two bearings were spitting- sure hope the factory grease is good stuff because gently caress it I'm not taking it apart a third time. Threw it together without half a gently caress given. It got me home. Mission accomplished. I typed this disjointed shitpile of words. Beer. Bed.

• Locked thread