Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

There's also that one episode where Worf is stuck in a Jem Hadar ship on a planet with some of the other crew. There's a random engineer with O'Brien that gets injured and is dying and Worf asks why O'Brien doesn't put him out of misery. Then he wonders why O'Brien is so upset with him.

Worf. The Klingon who's been raised by humans, been friends with and works with humans all his life doesn't understand why O'Brien might be upset at the idea of a mercy killing.
I can't tell if this is him being out of character or he's just such a massive weeaboo for Klingon culture that's he's ignored everything he's learned about humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Worf. The Klingon who's been raised by humans, been friends with and works with humans all his life doesn't understand why O'Brien might be upset at the idea of a mercy killing.

Remember, Worf is Russian.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
In Russia all killing is mercy killing.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
it's still a good point--i think with worf the writers got lazy and kept throwing in "humans be doing poo poo like this while kilingons be doing poo poo like this" schtick.

luckily some other writers excused this a bit by acknowledging what an inconsistent and out of touch goon he was.

so we can look at it as while he understands why O'Brien is not thrilled, he hams up his HONOR KILLING IN BATTLE bullshit in an attempt to be more Klingon.

meanwhile real klingons aren't boring losers like Worf and he's equally offended by their carefree and mischievous attitudes for they are not HONORABLE KLINGONS

worf knows only academic klingon culture so reality fucks his poo poo up and he ends up being a goon no matter where he goes

Dax's camaraderie with actual klingons made it even more in your face.

so yeah, it's part "easy writing" but it's also evidence of what a complete dork Worf is

test friday.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
sometimes i think that a lot of the criticisms and critiques i read into, say, ds9 are jsut me mapping my own idiot brain onto the show, but then i remember, no, the critiques are mos def coming from inside the house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy5jAixHhSA

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah most of Worf's crap could be explained by him being psychologically incapable of missing a chance to honk on and on about his ideology. I mean, I know actual human beings like that. The real annoying poo poo was when Data knew everything on the internet and then some but kept having to have two-minute long sidebars every time somebody said "Well, the shoe's on the other foot now!" or "Those are your chickens coming home to roost!"

The goddamn robot character in Dark Matter started doing that in episode three and I think it might be a dealbreaker

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Data actually knows all about idioms and social norms, he's just bored and really likes seeing how much he can troll the rest of the crew by pretending to be an emotionless autist.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Kitchner posted:

This is actually one of the points in Enterprise where you get those radical humans and they find a "human" from the future but he has tons of alien DNA in him.

When humans start loving all the aliens, at what point are you no longer human? Like you have at least 10 different alien spices present in your DNA but you look human. Are you human?

I don't know man, big thoughts being thought here.

Has any popular sci-fi actually gone with a plot of two aliens falling in love and then being sad that of course they can't have kids because they're alien species to each other and you'd be more likely to produce viable offspring from loving a donkey than an alien [nb: DON'T gently caress a donkey]

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah, I dunno, it doesn't have a lot of narrative heat. If they were playing with real world rules and one person reproduced by sticking a penis in a vagina and the other one reproduced by sticking a facehugger on a cow, they would know going into it that adoption was the only possibility.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

MikeJF posted:

Remember, Worf is Russian.

BELO-Russian :belarus:

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

eSports Chaebol posted:

Has any popular sci-fi actually gone with a plot of two aliens falling in love and then being sad that of course they can't have kids because they're alien species to each other and you'd be more likely to produce viable offspring from loving a donkey than an alien [nb: DON'T gently caress a donkey]

I bet it really pisses you off that interracial couples can have kids doesn't it?

Hitler. :colbert:

lol :D

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

eSports Chaebol posted:

Sadly Trek has explained this by saying all the races were created by another race in their image so they all have matching penis's and vaginas.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I bet Romulans are super hot in bed.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kitchner posted:

I bet Romulans are super hot in bed.

It's always a chess game. Move, countermove...

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Powered Descent posted:

im p sure the word "countermove" appears in at least one of the sex scenes of chapterhouse dune

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Powered Descent posted:

A Romulan pregnancy scare is when your lover/assassin has taken anti-parasite transfer blocker medication and you are left hosting the bio-engineerind mind control drone payload and a bad hangover.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

but i mean nothing in the universe beats some loving JAMBALAYA

The other night as I was stacking food on shelves at my minimum wage slave job, I came across a package labeled "Jambalaya"

JAMBALAYA I exclaimed excitedly, before I realized that it was 4 am and real life and nobody else could hear me

Star Trek

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Jambalaya is pretty loving tasty.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Tighclops posted:

The other night as I was stacking food on shelves at my minimum wage slave job, I came across a package labeled "Jambalaya"

JAMBALAYA I exclaimed excitedly, before I realized that it was 4 am and real life and nobody else could hear me

Star Trek

That's the best time to do that honestly.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Tighclops posted:

Star Trek

Your task tomorrow is to re-enact the "nobody touches my pep-pers" scene in monologue.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
Captain Kirk had the Enterprise destroy an ancient civilizations "god" because gently caress the prime directive.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Does it make more sense if you pretend Enterprise is the sequel to TOS?

I think it does.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Filthy Hans posted:

Binging DS9 right now, just started season 5 and love everything except time travel eps and alternate universe eps. The Cardassians are great, and if you're starting Babylon 5 the lizard guys are pretty similar, they fill a similar role in the story (bad guys of a regional alien conflict, but not the main villains) and the head lizardman is pretty much the best character, like Dukat is in DS9. I predict you'll get fatigued with binging Babylon 5 because there are sooo many similarities between the two series, but good luck anyway.

the ground b5 finds for itself around the end of s2 is astounding, it basically mirrors ds9's confidence but to a much more serious degree, however it gets kinda convoluted and runs out of steam right at the end of season 4. I never finished s5 I dunno if I should?? the stupid telepaths finally imploded and Fabio dies in the most melodramatic way. that's the last thing that happened.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

doodlebugs posted:

Captain Kirk had the Enterprise destroy an ancient civilizations "god" because gently caress the prime directive.

I like to think that Kirk was secretly miserable all the time and felt compelled to destroy everyone else's happiness at every opportunity just out of spite. One of the many funny things about Star Trek fans is how many of 'em bend over backwards to justify and rationalize that behaviour.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Zesty Mordant posted:

the ground b5 finds for itself around the end of s2 is astounding, it basically mirrors ds9's confidence but to a much more serious degree, however it gets kinda convoluted and runs out of steam right at the end of season 4. I never finished s5 I dunno if I should?? the stupid telepaths finally imploded and Fabio dies in the most melodramatic way. that's the last thing that happened.

I can't really remember too much of it because I watched B5 about 8 years ago, I think there was some stuff that happened after they went into battle with their gods-supplemented fleet but it was probably just soap-opera stuff. B5 would have been a very different show, probably for the better, if it wasn't cast as a soap opera with soap opera actors and directed as a soap opera + some action scenes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zesty Mordant posted:

Season 5 never reaches the highs of the earlier seasons but it picks up substantially after the telepath arc is over.

The reason it ran out of steam is that they were told they were cancelled season 4, rushed to wrap up the storylines, and then got surprised with a season 5 after they were done. At the least they got to do a new finale for season 4 so the show wasn't totally wrapped up then. The series finale at the end of season 5 is actually the one they filmed at the end of season 4 (it has a time jump forward, so it could be moved). If nothing else you really should watch that.

AdvancesMONKEY
Mar 30, 2010

by Lowtax
There should never be another star trek show. Ever. Its done. Nowadays issues can be talked about openly and startreks lack of AI and robots and general simplicity don't work.

star trek
Apr 7, 2009
star trek sucks

AdvancesMONKEY
Mar 30, 2010

by Lowtax

star trek posted:

star trek sucks

DEATH TO STAR TREK! LONG LIVE STAR TREK!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

AdvancesMONKEY posted:

There should never be another star trek show. Ever. Its done. Nowadays issues can be talked about openly and startreks lack of AI and robots and general simplicity don't work.

Then you deconstruct series-trek like an indulgent culinary school grad and serve the same formula up in a manner that surprises and delights. Not that deconstructed food ever does those things but lets pretend here.

And anyways, the coming era of near-perfect information, 3d printing on demand, driver-less cars (which started up yesterday btw), workerless workplaces, lab grown meat, drone-centric combat, always-on lifecams and global wireless internet coverage is going to make poo poo very boring very quickly. By 2027 we'll be so excited at the prospect of a show that harkens back to the day when you could have a shootout in a hallway, gently caress someone you hadn't pre-approved for a gently caress session via your phone or simply go somewhere and get lost that an olde worlde faux-future trek will be a welcome joy and we'll all ask our AI companions to condense the series down to a 4 minute summary to be watched the next time we are having a difficult poo snaked out by the robo-bidet.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 17, 2015

star trek
Apr 7, 2009

AdvancesMONKEY posted:

I honestly think the next trek show should be an anthology where every season is about a new ship/station and new characters.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

MikeJF posted:

Season 5 never reaches the highs of the earlier seasons but it picks up substantially after the telepath arc is over.

The reason it ran out of steam is that they were told they were cancelled season 4, rushed to wrap up the storylines, and then got surprised with a season 5 after they were done. At the least they got to do a new finale for season 4 so the show wasn't totally wrapped up then. The series finale at the end of season 5 is actually the one they filmed at the end of season 4 (it has a time jump forward, so it could be moved). If nothing else you really should watch that.

yeah it's incredibly obvious with the s4 ending on a sort of cheapo clip show set in the distaaaaaaaan fuuuuuture or whatever, where everyone is a monk because of nukes. i'll watch the end of it one day

they made some tv movies it seems as well, but I hear those are bad so I'll probably just watch farscape

AdvancesMONKEY
Mar 30, 2010

by Lowtax
People have been saying that for 20 years and that would just make things needlessly more expensive and bad from a production standpoint. If you make a show with a new set and charachters every week you better get willing to pay more than they are willing to pay for space shows.

star trek
Apr 7, 2009

AdvancesMONKEY posted:

People have been saying that for 20 years and that would just make things needlessly more expensive and bad from a production standpoint. If you make a show with a new set and charachters every week you better get willing to pay more than they are willing to pay for space shows.

I'm sure if they did a stupid kickstarter or something they would get millions of dollars to offset production costs. Let's be real

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AdvancesMONKEY posted:

He said season. It could work per-season.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Zesty Mordant posted:

yeah it's incredibly obvious with the s4 ending on a sort of cheapo clip show set in the distaaaaaaaan fuuuuuture or whatever, where everyone is a monk because of nukes. i'll watch the end of it one day

they made some tv movies it seems as well, but I hear those are bad so I'll probably just watch farscape

You should watch "In the Beginning" if you haven't, but all the others are basically disposable.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

AdvancesMONKEY posted:

Nobody in a position to make a Star Trek series would have the balls or the awareness to make a show bold enough to break new ground or at the very least, piss off the right assholes in the world

Everybody who isn't a pampered little poo poo knows the future we're heading into is a dystopian nightmare owned by soulless multinationals controlled by untouchable oligarchs that eventually enforce their will with unstoppable killer drone armies and relentless propaganda, Star Trek's optimism is hopelessly naive in the face of that and while it might be argued that we need optimism more than ever, at this point I'm more inclined to agree it's time is past and that we now need topical sci fi that is willing to tackle the issues facing us more directly than conventional space opera is typically able to

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Delsaber posted:

I like to think that Kirk was secretly miserable all the time and felt compelled to destroy everyone else's happiness at every opportunity just out of spite. One of the many funny things about Star Trek fans is how many of 'em bend over backwards to justify and rationalize that behaviour.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

superjew posted:

Does it make more sense if you pretend Enterprise is the sequel to TOS?

I think it does.

That was a good one.

"Captain, these people are living happy and carefree lives and have no desire to change."

"gently caress that, they need to learn to suffer and work hard, blow the computer up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!

Entropic posted:

Data actually knows all about idioms and social norms, he's just bored and really likes seeing how much he can troll the rest of the crew by pretending to be an emotionless autist.

He can't say a contraction, so until he can pull that off I'm not sure this theory holds water.

Wait. What if the contraction thing is a troll too? I'm beginning to question my whole worldview on Data now.

• Locked thread