Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Oh god, they've acquired a taste for flesh. Australia is doomed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Acquired? Cockies have always had a taste for flesh.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

bird

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I'm now trying to work out which I am more scared of Emus, or cassowaries. I'm going to take a wild punt and say "capable of inflicting injuries that can result in serious injury or death and are widely known as satan's own bird" on at least one of them.
(I'm English but half my family are Australian so have spent time out there being told not to touch things)

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Hes not scared of the camera anymore, now to not miss focus so badly

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Good.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Hes not scared of the camera anymore, now to not miss focus so badly

Excellent photos and excellent bird

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

learnincurve posted:

I'm now trying to work out which I am more scared of Emus, or cassowaries. I'm going to take a wild punt and say "capable of inflicting injuries that can result in serious injury or death and are widely known as satan's own bird" on at least one of them.
(I'm English but half my family are Australian so have spent time out there being told not to touch things)

Emu: Don't gently caress w/ me I won't gently caress w/ you
Cassowary: DieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDie

Battle Pigeon posted:

Excellent photos and excellent bird

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhTL9RwNpbg

Bonus video.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

Emus are bigger than cassowaries, but they are basically neurotic shrubs on legs. They're pretty chill.

Cassowaries are the velociraptors from Jurassic Park.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Eejit posted:

fwiw that isn't the full defensive posturing display.

Oh, I'm aware. Even low-intensity displays look hilarious, though.

Aug 24, 2011

learnincurve posted:

they're basically the same except the cassowaries are aware that you taste good

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Dreggon posted:

they're basically the same except the cassowaries are aware that you taste good

Also have a built in battering ram

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
If you startle an emu its likely to spaz the gently caress out for a few moments before running away, looking incredibly undignified while doing so.

If you startle a cassowary its likely to kick you in the head.

If you don't startle or threaten either of them they are mostly chill. You see pictures of cassowaries wandering into peoples yards in north QLD all the time to find fruit to eat. But I seriously wouldn't take my chances with one, those claws are scary.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Ohhhh my god, what a cutie. :kimchi: And he's blue! The best colour for a bird.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

GoldStandardConure posted:

If you startle an emu its likely to spaz the gently caress out for a few moments before running away, looking incredibly undignified while doing so.

If you don't startle or threaten either of them they are mostly chill. You see pictures of cassowaries wandering into peoples yards in north QLD all the time to find fruit to eat. But I seriously wouldn't take my chances with one, those claws are scary.

I wish I could say cassowaries randomly wandered into my yard (or emus, because, holy poo poo, dinosaurs). The only big fauna we get are deer and bear. :( Oh, and coyotes now. I won't complain about those, because they're just cool to talk to. :)

We do have tons of different owls, though (also fun to talk to), including saw-whet owls, which are just the most adorable little fluffy fuckers ever. Look at it!

:3:

And I don't care that this was a page or two back: Oh my GOD! :allears: Grumpy, sleepy potato! Look at that face! Oh my God!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
*honk*

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
:kimchi:

Conures are the best. I'm almost tempted to get a sun conure, but the neighbours would murder me.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

painted bird posted:

:kimchi:

Conures are the best. I'm almost tempted to get a sun conure, but the neighbours would murder me.

Your conure would defend you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GoldStandardConure posted:

There are emu farms in Florida. I went to one on a school field trip once. As long as they're tame emus are chill as gently caress and friendly as long as you're not wearing anything shiny.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Which brings us neatly full circle right back to gotcha.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

Which brings us neatly full circle right back to gotcha.
All roads lead to cockatoos

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Not that I don't love the current thread title, because I absolutely do, but putting in a request that the next one be something about Bitey Whiteys going POPCORN or equally ridiculous

He has proper darker blue trousers :3:

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

anotherblownsave posted:

She's not always so angry looking. She likes to cuddle, particularly in my wife's hair
http://imgur.com/xB1bJu9

:3: ded from cute

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

anotherblownsave posted:

She's not always so angry looking. She likes to cuddle, particularly in my wife's hair
http://imgur.com/xB1bJu9

This deserves to be done up in an oil painting hung over a mantle. So cute and a lovely picture to boot!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Not that I don't love the current thread title, because I absolutely do, but putting in a request that the next one be something about Bitey Whiteys going POPCORN or equally ridiculous
This :3: If this doesn't happen I will poop on everything LITERALLY A BIRD holds dear because that's what bird people do :v:

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

So the craziest thing in a while happened today...

Just thought you might like to know, I read this aloud to my boyfriend last night as a bedtime story. It was well received.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I really wish I had a picture of him flying right at me.

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Wrecking Ball posted:

Just thought you might like to know, I read this aloud to my boyfriend last night as a bedtime story. It was well received.

This is such a good idea, I think it'll be appreciated in our household too. Pearl would do that to my husband in the bathroom, too, except she'd aim for the floor to get behind the toilet. So if he was sitting down, he'd lift his legs up and then yell for me to come get her. If he was standing up, on the other hand... I learned one of his many talents is leaping to stand on the rim of the toilet-- without making a mess. An incredible man.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
http://i.imgur.com/WrnWTEK.gifv

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Yesss

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Thank you for this. I can't find the words. Just.. thank you.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I'm watching the ALCS, and the local news affiliate comes on during a commercial break (I'm in Boston) one of the stories they're going to cover on the 11pm news is "Wild Cockatoo holds neighborhood hostage" I'm going to have to DVR the news now.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

anotherblownsave posted:

I'm watching the ALCS, and the local news affiliate comes on during a commercial break (I'm in Boston) one of the stories they're going to cover on the 11pm news is "Wild Cockatoo holds neighborhood hostage" I'm going to have to DVR the news now.
DREGGON NO oh wait Boston.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anotherblownsave posted:

Florida already has thriving populations of wild budgies, pythos, peacocks, and emus. Over/under on when the state develops a cockatoo population?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Florida already has thriving populations of wild budgies, pythos, peacocks, and emus. Over/under on when the state develops a cockatoo population?

We also have conures :eng101: Cockatoos would probably take care of our retiree infestation though.

I do not and likely will never own a bird, but I love this thread and present a peace offering that I found in the bitcoin thread : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydnj-0flPwM

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mizuti posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTYtIoUsQQU

Is it just me or do cockatoos and their brethren have the funniest looking territorial/threat displays?

COAT HANGER SPOTTED
ENGAGE MUTTON CHOP INITIATIVE
DEPLOY DEFENSIVE FEATHERING
TURN DOWN FOR WHAT

Aug 24, 2011

jesus

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I see nothing amiss here.

Edit: DREGGON I HAVE AN IDEA

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 17, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori took a very enthusiastic bath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plpIreIPmXk

Suntan Boy posted:

I see nothing amiss here.

Edit: DREGGON I HAVE AN IDEA

I like that we all think of Dreggon first, and not for example Eejit who actually owns a cockatoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

Battle Pigeon posted:

actually owns a cockatoo

why would you voluntarily do this