Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is that hot water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

I'm guessing there used to be a deck there.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Javid posted:

I'm guessing he had an O-Scale steam-powered train track around his house and that was the "mountain pass" area, and the water was used to refill the boiler at the mountaintop pass stop.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I'm guessing extreme erosion.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

It's just the world's most inconvenient outdoor shower.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The location is the same on every house plan. It's just the terrain/backfill is at different heights. I imagine that most of those houses have it at near ground level and this one just got unlucky.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Nitrox posted:

The location is the same on every house plan. It's just the terrain/backfill is at different heights. I imagine that most of those houses have it at near ground level and this one just got unlucky the result of a lazy cookiecutter builder.

More like this, I think.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Is this some sort of art or wierd style? There is no way this is an accident

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Magnus Praeda posted:

More like this, I think.

It seems like the camera is extra low, though. Going by the bricks that's only about five and a half feet high, so it's not terrible. At least you don't have to crouch down to screw the hose on. :btroll:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Javid posted:

Look at the next building down. The decks aren't on this side. Plus there's no door.

lampey posted:

Is this some sort of art or wierd style? There is no way this is an accident

The post on Reddit where I found that said that it was a joke made by a plumber.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I'm sure that plumber will be laughing when he gets served some papers to pay the few hundred dollars to enact a repair.

Could be for a wrap-around deck if someone wanted half their house clad in pressure treated lumber, for some reason. Looks like next door has stairs off a patio door that just go down to the ground, which is also pretty loving weird. Not to mention rather unsafe consider there doesn't seem to be a hand rail there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Could be a drain line for like a water heater or A/C unit, that some idiot attached a faucet to thinking it was a water line.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I want this.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

You've never needed to rinse off after a round of yard work?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

Nah this makes perfect sense. When they wanted power for the island, they stole it from the closest place, which was apparently the basement light wire that happened to run near underneath the island.

Two months late getting back to this thread, but this is exactly what happened. There's a 2-gang junction box right under the island, and that's where Billy Bob's Backyard Electrical Bonanza Co. tied in. It'd probably take me about 20 minutes to route some new wire to a non-switched circuit , but I hardy use that outlet, so it hasn't been a huge concern. :)

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Warmachine posted:

You've never needed to rinse off after a round of yard work?

While naked outdoors in public? All the time!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Woke up this morning to an EXTREMELY cold house. I know I switched the thermostat from off to heat, and when we did the inspection in the summer the firnace worked fine (drat things brand new.) So why wasn't any hot air coming out? Or any air at all, for that matter?

Circuit breaker was fine. Ok, well, maybe someone accidentally hit the furnace emergency cut off switch. Uhhh...where the gently caress is it? I look all around the basement and the bottom floor to no avail.

Until I remember this:

(sorry for poo poo photo.)

I know the upper, left-most switch is the downstairs hallway light. I assumed the lower switch was for the lone outlet in the hallway. Nope...that's the emergency cut-off switch, rocking a standard face-plate.

So either I, my girlfriend, or our houseguest turned it off. My guess is the houseguest since my girlfriend and I know what switch is the light and wouldn't have a need to flick the other "mystery" switch, where I can see her fumbling around for the correct switch.

Either way, off to the hardware store today to get a proper face-plate...and some popcorn, because God-bless local hardware stores with sell-serve popcorn machines. :getin:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

DrBouvenstein posted:

Either way, off to the hardware store today to get a proper face-plate...and some popcorn, because God-bless local hardware stores with sell-serve popcorn machines. :getin:

that's my favorite goddamn gimmick

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
How did that become a thing? Two different hardware chains here do it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Shady Amish Terror posted:

How did that become a thing? Two different hardware chains here do it.
It's cheap and it makes people happy. It might also encourage some extra browsing if someone's hungry and was otherwise just popping in for something before going to get food.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want to make sure everything in a shop I'm browsing is covered in butter grease.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The Home Depots in my area have a burger/burrito/etc. shack right next to the entrance. They probably figure that if you have to take a break from your work to go buy a part you're missing, you probably won't mind taking a break to eat too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Same, except the Home Depot here has a hotdog stand right inside the entrance.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

GreenNight posted:

Same, except the Home Depot here has a hotdog stand right inside the entrance.

Our HomeDepot sells Sausage wraps & Fajitas

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I know the upper, left-most switch is the downstairs hallway light. I assumed the lower switch was for the lone outlet in the hallway. Nope...that's the emergency cut-off switch, rocking a standard face-plate.
A couple of us had similar troubles a month or two ago with similarly unmarked switches for our dishwashers (another goon was asking "what's this switch do?" while I thought my dishwasher was broken. I mentioned it to the person I bought this house from, she was as amazed as I was -- she'd lived here for FIFTEEN YEARS thinking the unmarked cutoff switch for the dishwasher was for an [optional, uninstalled] garbage disposal.).

Could be worse, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQZDQqEtLqU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Baronjutter posted:

I want to make sure everything in a shop I'm browsing is covered in butter grease.

the local home hardware they do this at very tactfully places the popcorn immediately after the registers on the way out

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Our Home Depot stands are all Dunkin Donutses. God bless New England :911:

Never saw popcorn in a hardware store, though, what a disappointing lack.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Ambrose Burnside posted:

that's my favorite goddamn gimmick

Most mid-range to high-range Hardware stores in Denmark, have a build-in grill, nothing spectacular, just hotdogs and cheap grill junk. Works amazingly well from a marketing perspective, increases sales outright.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

RagnarokZ posted:

Works amazingly well from a marketing perspective, increases sales outright.

Until this summer, our Costco had the best pizza in town. It is not good pizza. It is a shameful town. But yeah, sometimes we would just go there because we wanted some pizza, and while eating we'd realize we should probably buy a couple things like next week's groceries because "well, we're already here, so v:v:v"

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

MullardEL34 posted:

I recently became the Tenant of a 8400Sq. Ft. office building that served as the Headquarters of a Local NE Ohio Newspaper from the late 1870's to September of 2012. The oldest part of the building was built in 1858, by a Farrier that leased horses and wagons to the federal government for the Cleveland-Ravenna and Mentor-Ravenna mail routes. It did a short stint as a mortuary/funeral parlor in the early 1870's. The Ravenna Republican newspaper moved in the the late 1870's.

Already I've found Stab-Lok subpanels everywhere, a mystery light switch in the basement that cuts the lights in the break room upstairs, A secret Trap Door in the floor of one of the offices, Staircases to nowhere, twistlok 240V outlets on the second floor for an NCR Mainframe Computer + "Hard Disk Unit," two big rear end Anemostats in the first floor ceiling that blow no air, and a creepy rear end boiler room that flooded last year. (the boiler was above the water line, thank god)

I'll keep the thread updated as I uncover the crazy that lies within these walls.
Or, would it be better if I started a dedicated thread?

Update: If anyone in The Cleveland/Akron Metro area wants a vintage 1950's Steelcase desk, PM me. We have like 40 of them and they need to go, fast. They weigh as much as a 57' Cadillac, so be prepared. I'd like to get :10bux: a piece for them as a donation to our cause or something, otherwise you can have one for free. He're going to have to scrap them. I've been trying to find new homes for them for two months. Apparently hipsters don't like old metal desks.

Also, we discovered today that the 150 extension Panasonic Digital PBX in the basement still semi-works. You can dial from extension to extension just fine, and dialing #9 activates a paging amplifier that feeds 70V ceiling speakers throughout the building. Of course the previous owners left no manual or documentation for the PBX, so even figuring out how to reprogram it/knowing which lines are coming from the TELCO stack outside is going to be interesting. I was hoping to replace one of the TELCO lines with an OBI110 POTS-to-VOIP bridge and light the system back up.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 17, 2015

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I would loving love one, but I don't think it'd be economical to get one out to California.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If you need them gone asap call up an antique dealer who specializes in mid century stuff, possibly in a big city like Chicago or NYC, and tell them "I want to give you free money".

Seriously maybe there is something wrong with this city but in Austin I've seen those tanker desks listed for $300-500 each and selling if the top isn't too scratched up. People loving worship mid-mod around here though so we could be a special case.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
If you're willing to take that little for them, you might see if HGR is interested: https://www.hgrinc.com/sellYours/sellYours.view

They normally do industrial supply, but I could see them potentially being interested in something of that build quality. (Don't know for sure, though.)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Shifty Pony posted:

If you need them gone asap call up an antique dealer who specializes in mid century stuff, possibly in a big city like Chicago or NYC, and tell them "I want to give you free money".

Seriously maybe there is something wrong with this city but in Austin I've seen those tanker desks listed for $300-500 each and selling if the top isn't too scratched up. People loving worship mid-mod around here though so we could be a special case.

That was my thought: take some nice photos and put them on ebay or whatever for $500 as 'classic retro' desks and sell then two at a time.

Probably shift quicker than a 'free' desk, too.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Over the summer, I got a new ac unit to replace the one above that burnt out last summer. Awesome, right?

It's 120 instead of 240, so I have to find a cover for the 240 plug in the middle of my wall. That's cool. And the trim work is pretty awful. But I can fix that with some foam and caulk and a little wood. NBD. Might be easier to do from the outside though.

Oh.

gently caress my landlord.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MullardEL34 posted:

Update: If anyone in The Cleveland/Akron Metro area wants a vintage 1950's Steelcase desk, PM me. We have like 40 of them and they need to go, fast. They weigh as much as a 57' Cadillac, so be prepared. I'd like to get :10bux: a piece for them as a donation to our cause or something, otherwise you can have one for free. He're going to have to scrap them. I've been trying to find new homes for them for two months. Apparently hipsters don't like old metal desks.

Also, we discovered today that the 150 extension Panasonic Digital PBX in the basement still semi-works. You can dial from extension to extension just fine, and dialing #9 activates a paging amplifier that feeds 70V ceiling speakers throughout the building. Of course the previous owners left no manual or documentation for the PBX, so even figuring out how to reprogram it/knowing which lines are coming from the TELCO stack outside is going to be interesting. I was hoping to replace one of the TELCO lines with an OBI110 POTS-to-VOIP bridge and light the system back up.

These are loving awesome, and I would be willing to drive from Buffalo to get one. PM'd.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Man, if I weren't moving across the country come spring, I'd be driving the two hours to Cleveland right loving now. :(

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MullardEL34 posted:

I already have a Steelcase that somebody left out on the street three blocks from my apartment. I managed to dolly it by myself back to my building and get it up three flights of stairs. When it comes time to move I'm seriously contemplating sending off the balcony. I'm reasonably sure it would survive the impact.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I already have a Steelcase that somebody left out on the street three blocks from my apartment.

This.

Had it since high school in the 90s and its a fuckin tank. People should definitely jump on these if they can transport them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

When it comes time to move I'm seriously contemplating sending off the balcony. I'm reasonably sure it would survive the impact.

I had a '70s version I got for $5 at a yard sale, just abandoned it in place instead of trying to move it out.

As for tossing it off the balcony, it'd probably be best to drop it on the top -- the legs would break off it it landed right-side up. But it'd
gently caress up the top if you dropped it upside down ...

Get a half-sheet each (assuming you can buy it in that size) of 3/4" and 1/4" plywood, cut the 3/4" in half and the 1/4" into 2'x 1' rectangles and glue/nail/tack them up like so:

Blue = 3/4" and green = 1/4", though I'm not sure how many of the 1/4" pieces you'd need. Also ideally you'd have the inner pieces in Vs, but it's hard enough to mail 1/4" edge-on. Strap that to the top of the desk, drop it so that it lands flat on the top, and you're golden (the idea being that the stringers of 1/4" plywood break and thus cushion the impact to avoid marring the desktop). Use any bits of plywood that survive to build bookshelves for the new place.