Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Speaking of pedophilia punching, 5 best punches in comics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLIfvi-TxX4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Uthor posted:

First, Flash did not punch that guy into orbit, because he came back down and hit the planet.
:goonsay:

Second, I was surprised by the number-one choice. I was never a Sal Buscema fan, but I might have to go back and re-read some of his stuff. (I rememeber being particularly unhappy with his art in the Avengers Mansion invasion arc and when he took over Thor from Walt Simonson. Something about those trapezoid mouths he always draws.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sal's a great artist, the only thing holding him back from being considered one of the kings of the medium is being the younger brother of an even better artist.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Effortpost answer to the "why doesn't anybody flip manga for American audiences" question that I wrote for a different thread a few years ago:

Toren Smith and Studio Proteus spent something like twenty years doing high-quality translation jobs, with flipped pages, full touch-up, and quality printing. They chose good-quality books (mostly) that they figured would appeal to western audiences. This was when I started reading these books. In the long run they got basically nowhere, even with the backing of publishers like Dark Horse, because they were targeting a very select clientèle with an expensive, quality product.

Tokyopop showed up and put out cheaply-printed, shoddily-translated, unflipped books with no touch-up and screen fonts for the text. They flooded the market with books that were essentially fanboy fodder, the trashiest possible stuff for teenagers that wouldn't get them into trouble with "comics are for children" people. They made a loving mint, because they were going for a lowest-common-denominator audience. Toren Smith eventually quit in disgust.

Eventually, Tokyopop and the rest of the publishers of translated manga in the US started having problems, because their target audience discovered that they could find bootleg copies of all this stuff for free online. The lovely quality of the online versions (be they fan-translations or just scans of Tokyopop books) didn't matter because they were already used to the poor quality of current translated manga editions.

Now, many years later, the current audience for translated manga expects it to be unflipped so there's absolutely no reason to spent the time and money to do the sort of work required to make a manga book read left-to-right. It's just economics at this point, so even companies putting out a relatively high-quality translated product (like Viz) put the effort into touching up sound effects and not flipping the art.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's totally a matter of economics. Flipping the pages won't get you enough additional readers to offset the cost of the flip.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wanting to read unflipped manga is fine. When I'm reading or watching anything made in another language I always prefer to get it as close to the original as I can with it regardless of what language it is. Subtitles on every foreign film, with translated comics or books I'm going to go for the most accurate translation with footnotes, if possible. I don't need the illusion that even foreign creators are catering to me.

The actual worst, though, is the kids who aren't remotely Japanese but want to draw comics that read right-to-left anyway. gently caress those people.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Travis343 posted:

Wanting to read unflipped manga is fine. When I'm reading or watching anything made in another language I always prefer to get it as close to the original as I can with it regardless of what language it is. Subtitles on every foreign film, with translated comics or books I'm going to go for the most accurate translation with footnotes, if possible. I don't need the illusion that even foreign creators are catering to me.

When I'm watching a French film, I always make sure to smoke cigarettes and drink wine while wearing my beret.

Edit: here's a matching badass panel.

prefect fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 16, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

prefect posted:

When I'm watching a French film, I always make sure to smoke cigarettes and drink wine while wearing my beret.

If you're not doing that already, you might as well put on grease paint and some huge floppy shoes, because you are a clown.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's totally a matter of economics. Flipping the pages won't get you enough additional readers to offset the cost of the flip.

Please stop effectively summarizing my effortposts.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr. Maltose posted:

But flip mode is the greatest.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!
^^^^^ i get ya buddy :whatup:

Heresiarch posted:

Please stop economically summarizing my effortposts.

fyp tia

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

prefect posted:

:boom:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

prefect posted:

What kind of hospital is this?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

(What kind of hospital was that?)

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Also, whether something is on the left or on the right is sometimes legitimately important in the story, and then either the publisher forgets to change the dialogue to match or they have to go to a surprising amount of effort to flip all of those references. And you end up with people using their sword with the wrong hand, driving on the wrong side of the street for the place where the story takes place, heart on the wrong side of their chest...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like Cosmo just chillin' in the front there, all "In Soviet Russia, dog shoot YOU into space!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Who's saying "Oh poo poo"? I feel like I kinda recognize that leg.

As for flipping Manga, I always thought part of the appeal to teenagers was that it was slightly less accessible, so it made them part of a tribe.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Skwirl posted:

Who's saying "Oh poo poo"? I feel like I kinda recognize that leg.

As for flipping Manga, I always thought part of the appeal to teenagers was that it was slightly less accessible, so it made them part of a tribe.

Ulik the Troll

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Uthor posted:

Hahah what idiot wrote that

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Benito Cereno posted:

Hahah what idiot wrote that

If only I had made you aware of the 90's What If comic where Hercules punched Galactus in the dick.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
The What If the Avengers Fought Galactus one? I definitely had that and read it about a million times as a kid. I admit, that one didn't even occur to me, but a Galactus dick punch is pretty good.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That's where I'd punch him if I only had one shot

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Galactus reproduces asexually. Does he even have a dick to punch?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Toshimo posted:

Well how does he get rid of waste?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
This thread got stupid in a hurry

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Galactus don't have nards!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

zoux posted:

Galactus don't have nards!

Sorry, buddy. Galactus got busy with a galaxy or something.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This thread got stupid in a hurry

"in a hurry"? It's been stupid the past 2 pages with the manga talk.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Clearly you haven't read the series in question.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I would not want my name attached to that cover, but apparently Adam Warren, Hector Sevilla Lujan and Simon Bowland are lacking enough in shame to put their names right there. Impressive, in a way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Galactus got nards!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

More Badass Panels and less Galactus Paternity Talk.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
One of my favourite comic book series. Threads from this would feed through into later works by Hickman, including FF and Avengers. You should read it. These panels are out of context, but hey, let's have some funny spy on spy grandstanding. I could give context, but just go and read the drat thing.

Secret Warriors #15

For me, Hickman really fleshed out Fury (and a whole host of other characters both new and old), and made Hydra villains seem human. This is why Original Sin pissed me off so much. Nick Fury has always taken upon himself to be the 'One Man that stood in the gap', and he's always had the tacit consent of the superhero community when doing it. So he killed some aliens? Just think of how many Hydra goons he's put in the ground. How many young soldiers he's sent to their deaths. That's kind of what he does. And the world needs him to keep on doing it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Milotic posted:

For me, Hickman really fleshed out Fury (and a whole host of other characters both new and old), and made Hydra villains seem human. This is why Original Sin pissed me off so much. Nick Fury has always taken upon himself to be the 'One Man that stood in the gap', and he's always had the tacit consent of the superhero community when doing it. So he killed some aliens? Just think of how many Hydra goons he's put in the ground. How many young soldiers he's sent to their deaths. That's kind of what he does. And the world needs him to keep on doing it.

He is also not a real person and his characterization frequently reflects the views of a writer on the "hard-minded men keeping us safe" rhetoric.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

He is also not a real person and his characterization frequently reflects the views of a writer on the "hard-minded men keeping us safe" rhetoric.

Wait.... So you're saying he's like a life model decoy???????? I don't follow.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

makes u think

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Milotic posted:

Secret Warriors #15

The part I like best is the nasty looks Fury's mooks are giving Contessa ("Look what you've done, you made him sad!")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The conclusion of this story in the final issue of Secret Warriors is pretty bad rear end.