Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Three-Phase posted:

I just discovered that the Kohler Habitat system was a thing.

http://www.designtool.kohler.com/us/detail.jsp?item=329202

It's like a giant sauna/shower/tanning bed/hairdryer all in one. :psyduck:

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/105808_0893ab.pdf <-- I think the space shuttle has fewer parts.

Is someone who uses that a masterbather?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Gorilla Salad posted:

The house with no railings where guests falls to their deaths is also known as the S-House* is in Chennai, India.

You can visit the website about the house here - and unlike visiting the house itself will be in no danger of falling to your death

Everyone should visit that link and see the house where you fall to your death in its natural habitat - wedged between lovely old Indian buildings, and adjacent to an unpaved dirt road.

This is what it looks like on the outside, because of course it does:

* Not actually short for "shithouse" surprisingly.

This looks like a concept house you're not actually supposed to put anyone in.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I find the idea of a house so blatantly unlivablr you're not supposed to put anyone in just plain ridiculous. It's like art no one is supposed to look at...which I'm sure exists.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Any time we see stairs without a railing a bunch of you turn into bitchy old grammas screaching "DEATHTRAP!" Ate you too fat or shaky to navigate stairs unassisted?

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Anything that doesn't look like it was designed by a racist alcoholized 1880's romantic painter is basically just ugly

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Millions of Crows posted:

Any time we see stairs without a railing a bunch of you turn into bitchy old grammas screaching "DEATHTRAP!" Ate you too fat or shaky to navigate stairs unassisted?

It's not just stairs, there are no railings anywhere. It's a massive safety hazard, if you live there long enough something is guaranteed to go wrong.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I like the poolside steps leading into a plate glass window with no landing and outward-opening door awkwardly placed right the hell there

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

No, its just that when you need to go down the stairs at 2:00 AM and you are really loving tired and it is pitch-black in your house, and the assholes who built the house didn't put any light switches between your room and the stairs, you tend to want the damned railings there because you can't see where the steps are.

The railings are also nice when you have to move very large objects up the stairs. They're also good for keeping stupid loving kids from falling over the side of the stairs.

Also, when you have a stairwell that goes up 3 floors, it would probably be wise to make it so there is something keeping you from falling down the pit in the center.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Here's a video of a house of a Japanese couple with cats. There are some elements of the architecture that I find interesting like breaking up the hard boundary of inside and outside without giving up privacy, but lol its a high-concept deathtrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgEfY4ZB8YY

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Hey now, his stairs have a railing

Jaramin posted:

I find the idea of a house so blatantly unlivablr you're not supposed to put anyone in just plain ridiculous. It's like art no one is supposed to look at...which I'm sure exists.

It looks less concerned with livability than with showing off novel design features.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 15, 2015

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Neurophonic posted:

Oh hey I forgot one

The builders must have had an overstock on roof tiles or something. It doesn't even go underground.

I used to live in one of those! And the story is that the council agreed to cover the costs of roofing when the university redeveloped the site so the architecture department designed a building that was mostly roof.

Yes you can run up them.

E: also it's next door to the ugly theatre (that is actually super interesting, the big towers mean it doesn't require heating on winter or cooling in summer ~somehow~)

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 15, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Grim Up North posted:

Here's a video of a house of a Japanese couple with cats. There are some elements of the architecture that I find interesting like breaking up the hard boundary of inside and outside without giving up privacy, but lol its a high-concept deathtrap.

Not gonna lie. I like that house.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I used to live in one of those! And the story is that the council agreed to cover the costs of roofing when the university redeveloped the site so the architecture department designed a building that was mostly roof.

Yes you can run up them.

E: also it's next door to the ugly theatre (that is actually super interesting, the big towers mean it doesn't require heating on winter or cooling in summer ~somehow~)

What's with the prison fence? Does anyone actually use that garden?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Roy posted:

What's with the prison fence? Does anyone actually use that garden?

It's a student hall of residence, it's to keep the students in and locals out I guess. We used to have bbqs and smoke weed on the grass when it was sunny out.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yes you can run up them.

ugly theatre huh. when are you putting on your one man show

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

It's not like handrails are some sort of nanny-state contrived horseshit. They've been around since ancient times because even non-fat, non-shaky people often slip and fall on stairs.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Frostwerks posted:

ugly theatre huh. when are you putting on your one man show

Right after you mother finishes her run.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

What a great idea. I'll save so much money by only putting railings on stairs I know I'll fall down!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

do u have stairs in yr house

lol kinda

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
at least it's got handrails

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Cantilever stairs are cool as gently caress, but I wonder if they wear out over time and start to tilt.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

red19fire posted:

Cantilever stairs are cool as gently caress, but I wonder if they wear out over time and start to tilt.

The answer is probably "not if they're done right".

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

popewiles posted:

The answer is probably "not if they're done right".

So "yes" then

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grim Up North posted:

My favourite part of this design is where you have to climb up and down ladders every time you move more than 8 feet.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Living in a place like that has to be great, until you get the flu. Or break your foot and come home and can't climb a ladder into bed.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

People in a hurry bumping into each other

People not paying attention

People trying to pass each other while carrying something big or being giant and fat

People tripping on something on the floor

Kids running about

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

red19fire posted:

I've seen this phenomenon on 1920s-vintage stairs made out of sandstone. They were supported by iron I-beams on one side, so they were not exactly cantilever - but holy hell was it creepy walking up the stairs that were worn down a full inch near the railing side (where people tend to walk the most) and don't even get me started on wooden beam stairs from 1910s.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

"...Where are we?"

"Somewhere in the teens, I think."

"Well when we get to 20, tell me. I'm gonna throw up."

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

red19fire posted:

This is the least inviting room.

It screams hate. It would be more livable with bloodstains on the wall.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

It looks like the prison room Starbuck was kept in on New Caprica.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Simply Simon posted:

That architect's early work was a little too modernist for my tastes, but when he did that library in '83, I think he really came into his own, commercially and artistically. The whole building has a clear, crisp facade, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the structural design elements a big boost. He's been compared to Frank Gehry, but I think he has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Magnus Praeda posted:

That architect's early work was a little too modernist for my tastes, but when he did that library in '83, I think he really came into his own, commercially and artistically. The whole building has a clear, crisp facade, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the structural design elements a big boost. He's been compared to Frank Gehry, but I think he has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.
concrete

lol

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

red19fire posted:

I actually really like this.

Also has me wondering how much growing up in a hoarding environment threw me off kilter.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Accretionist posted:

I actually really like this.

Also has me wondering how much growing up in a hoarding environment threw me off kilter.

I also like it. Concrete owns.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Naxuz posted:

There was also this weird pipe walkway connecting it to the main building that, predictably, apparently no-one used ever:

I haven't been to Tampere, but I have a feeling that will be much more popular in January. Being able to go between buildings in indoor clothes is a luxury in the winter.

hydo
Nov 23, 2002

I'm gay for Lipton Brisk Iced Tea
I flipped through the thread, hopefully I'm not reposting.

Ranier Tower in Seattle.

I had to work in this place and I'm scared as poo poo of heights. The money was really good, so that helped.

You can feel it sway in a high wind, and when it does it creaks like an old battleship. I've seen the structural engineering diagrams of the building, and it's bottom-heavy as all hell, but that doesn't really help much when you're sitting at your desk and you can feel the building rock back and forth.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"It's very bottom heavy" is rear end in a top hat lovely architect code for "Don't wooorry it's fiiiine what could possibly go wrong"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdvancesMONKEY
Mar 30, 2010

by Lowtax
I saw that thing and thought it was awesome! Seattle is a cool city.

• Locked thread