Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Crimson Harvest posted:

lol check out the traffic report in Sothis:

I feel sorry for those Vultures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Drake_263 posted:

I told myself I'd stop when I can afford a T9, but I'm tempted to go for one last caper, help me!
T9 can't jump for poo poo and is probably the least fun ship in the game to fly, keep going until you can afford an Anaconda!

Shine posted:

I feel sorry for those Vultures.
Eh, it's doable. Stupid, but doable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're paying me 2 million credits to haul biowaste 400 light years?

I'll take it.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
We can buy imp ships without rank when the CG completes. Roughly 20mil for both the courier and clipper in stock configs.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

SynthOrange posted:

You're paying me 2 million credits to haul biowaste 400 light years?

I'll take it.

Biowaste will kill internal modules over time. Fly safe CMDR.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No... NO!

:cry:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

no_recall posted:

Biowaste will kill internal modules over time. Fly safe CMDR.

That's just toxic waste, isn't it? Biowaste in ED is described as being poo fertilizer in a can, pretty sure. (Unless I'm remembering wrong? Quite possible, as I don't normally like to haul those kinds of...goods in my cargo hold)

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Oh that's like less than 5 minutes.

Go to Alpha Centauri, Hutton Orbital: 7,000,000 Ls away. That's reason to cry.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

(Unless I'm remembering wrong? Quite possible, as I don't normally like to haul those kinds of...goods in my cargo hold)

If you aren't roleplaying a slave trader with moral misgivings about hauling poop, I don't know what you guys are doing in this game

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Natsuumi posted:

Oh that's like less than 5 minutes.

Go to Alpha Centauri, Hutton Orbital: 7,000,000 Ls away. That's reason to cry.
I went there once just to say that I did. Never again. :negative:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Game needs those big rear end ship carrying cruise-liners from Dune on pre-set routes, the public transport option for tiny starships.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Make them jump in a route with you aboard for rapid transit and natural creation of high player-pop areas :science:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Anyone know of an imperial system like Sothis? Would be a great way to get imperial ranks while getting paid.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

xiansi posted:

Guy goes out exploring, runs out of fuel, calls the Fuel Rats, makes song about it:

https://soundcloud.com/elementz_360/hotel-dalgarno-fuel-rats-parody-of-hotel-california

This is really good.

:vince:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Okay, so I'm in a Hauler worth about 1,5M. What are my options for getting in on this Sothis poo poo? Good fit for the Hauler, switch to another ship, what?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're not going to be making as much. Your cargo and range will be limited so you'll be making more fuel stops too.

imatree
Nov 18, 2005
ok...

Grimey Drawer
If I get a bounty mission that says 4 targets, are they automatically in a wing or do I find them one at a time?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SynthOrange posted:

You're not going to be making as much. Your cargo and range will be limited so you'll be making more fuel stops too.

I figured, but is it doable and how long would it take to upgrade to that Cobra fit someone posted earlier at 2,3M?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I made the trip in a lovely cobra and made 13 million out of it. Just stuff a fuel scoop and cargo bays on it and zoom on out. Keep your engine power maxed and run away from all fights.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I got 8m credits for a single space weed smuggling mission from Sothis. poo poo is bananas. I've done two runs now and that's just shy of 40m credits.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
This Sothis thing kind of sucks when every other jump takes literal minutes to load.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Anyone know of an imperial system like Sothis? Would be a great way to get imperial ranks while getting paid.

Fehu.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus how did anyone even find that? Sothis at least has a trail of breadcrumbs.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

imatree posted:

If I get a bounty mission that says 4 targets, are they automatically in a wing or do I find them one at a time?

You can find targets either way.

timn posted:

This Sothis thing kind of sucks when every other jump takes literal minutes to load.

I found playing in private had better load times for jumps.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

When NPCs ask you to drop our of supercruize with them is it always a trap or do they buy your stuff?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

It's usually to offer you an alternate delivery destination for a different faction and 99% less reward.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sekenr posted:

When NPCs ask you to drop our of supercruize with them is it always a trap or do they buy your stuff?

I don't think it's ever a trap, the hostile ones will attempt to interdict you, the ones that ask you to drop out to talk to them are offering an alternate drop off point, it's never worth it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Jesus how did anyone even find that? Sothis at least has a trail of breadcrumbs.

Since the deal with Sothis (and Fehu, I assume) is the distance to civilized space, you can easily find more systems like them on your own: Just play around with your map filters to find the few systems far away from the rest of the bubble.

Tikal
Nov 14, 2008

As of now, these are all the current Han Solo Routes (Smuggling Systems that pay well) I could find so far. So far, Fehu, Sothis and Canopus are great for gaining space ranks in space faction.

Imperial Jurisdiction: Fehu
Federal Jurisdiction: Sothis, Canopus
Alliance Jurisdiction: I've been hearing there is one somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. It's entirely possible that it doesn't exist or isn't far enough to have a great pay day.
Independent Jurisdiction: HIP 74290, Expihay

There might be more, in the coming future because of the Pleiades Nebula CG. and might connect directly to Sothis to make a real run.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I talked up Sothis to my friend and he headed out there in a DBX without actually asking me what to do

Said the best smuggling mission he saw was intra-system

He did not know to refresh the BB

He bought a bunch of rare gold or something and then left

sigh

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I talked up Sothis to my friend and he headed out there in a DBX without actually asking me what to do

Said the best smuggling mission he saw was intra-system

He did not know to refresh the BB

He bought a bunch of rare gold or something and then left

sigh

idk man. tbf, after 5 refreshes or so, the most i could get was two missions for 8-9 mil total, about half each.

it took me about 2.5 hours round-trip in my Cobra with an A FSD including the endless witchspace glitch and stopping to fuel scoop the few OBAFGKM stars on my route to and from.

i made a cool 1 mil on the rare gold for sale at sothis.

not to look a gift exploit in the mouth but people on this forum are talking about bringing in 9-figure sums and my experience doesn't match that rate of dollarydoos-per-minute.

knockout fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 17, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

deadlyrhetoric posted:

idk man. tbf, after 5 refreshes or so, the most i could get was two missions for 8-9 mil total, about half each.

it took me about 2.5 hours round-trip in my Cobra with an A FSD including the endless witchspace glitch and stopping to fuel scoop the few OBAFGKM stars on my route to and from.

i made a cool 1 mil on the rare gold for sale at sothis.

not to look a gift exploit in the mouth but people on this forum are talking about bringing in 9-figure sums and my experience doesn't match that rate of dollarydoos-per-minute.

It is a bit random but in an Asp you should be doing about 20-30m a run. Sometimes more. You can get on a bad streak of missions while refreshing though. If you have a low trader rank it might be more like 10-20m a run til you get that up but smuggling is the fastest way to raise it.

As you get more trader ranks you get more higher paying missions with fewer refreshes.

Try to save at least 10 tons of space for gold to sell at Skvortsov though, it helps DF a lot if several of us are doing that.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 17, 2015

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
If you want to make real money you need to be able to afford an Asp Explorer or something similar. You may need to refresh quite a few times if you want to cherry pick the better missions, I probably reset 30-50 times to make my $80 million run in my Python, though I was only a Merchant when I started.

I found that when the board seemed to quit refreshing, shutting down the game and relaunching seemed to fix it. The endless hyperspace bug is pretty painful.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

It is a bit random but in an Asp you should be doing about 20-30m a run. Sometimes more. You can get on a bad streak of missions while refreshing though. If you have a low trader rank it might be more like 10-20m a run til you get that up but smuggling is the fastest way to raise it.

As you get more trader ranks you get more higher paying missions with fewer refreshes.

Try to save at least 10 tons of space for gold to sell at Skvortsov though, it helps DF a lot if several of us are doing that.

thanks. do i need to sell the gold at mother goat to increase our influence? or anywhere under our control?

i definitely want to upgrade to an asp but cargo space wasn't even an issue. with all of the mission cargo + rare gold, i was only at about 20T?

i had about 6-10 missions open to me but the only high payout ones that i found were 2 for about 4 million spacebucks each. my trade rank is merchant, so i dont expect that to be a limiting factor.

GaylordButts posted:

I found that when the board seemed to quit refreshing, shutting down the game and relaunching seemed to fix it. The endless hyperspace bug is pretty painful.

Thanks. Looks like I just need to be more patient when choosing. I'm pretty sure there's a saying about that...

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

It is a bit random but in an Asp you should be doing about 20-30m a run.
Last night, I took a courier mission without paying attention and did the 400-something LY in 24 minutes. :haw: Got interdicted five times, wound up boosting straight into the landing pad to beat the clock.

quote:

Last night, every high-paying mission after my first trip was locked to Elite trade rank. :mad:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

deadlyrhetoric posted:

thanks. do i need to sell the gold at mother goat to increase our influence? or anywhere under our control?

Sell it at stations DF controls, so Skvortsov.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
There's also 4 stations that can all give you missions: two in Sothis, one in Ceos and one in Robigo.
If you can't get one in either stations in Sothis, pick one up at the other two systems and then travel back to Sothis to check the updated Bulletin Boards there.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Newb again. So here's what I've gathered that I should be doing:

1) buy crystal gold from Sothis and sell it to Skvortsov to help DF
2) take smuggling missions from Sothis
3) sell exploration data to Skvortsov

Anything else? And this mite b a dum quesh but refreshing the BB is as simple as back out, re-click?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With 11-12 million you can make Shine's asp that can make the trip without having to refuel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tikal
Nov 14, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Newb again. So here's what I've gathered that I should be doing:

1) buy crystal gold from Sothis and sell it to Skvortsov to help DF
2) take smuggling missions from Sothis
3) sell exploration data to Skvortsov

Anything else? And this mite b a dum quesh but refreshing the BB is as simple as back out, re-click?

You need a fairly well kitted ASP and a few good rebuys in the event you die to any random variable.

Yeah, refreshing the board is essentially going into solo and the open to check the board over and over again.
Edit: always go for missions that pay over 1.5m and the ones that have small cargo requests are usually your friend. keep in mind your trade rank will also determine how much you will make per smuggling run.

• Locked thread