Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I think boiling down Kojima's style to 'insane' is really demeaning to his work, whilst there's obviously alot of quirk to his style he's there's also alot of effort to say something meaningful in every one of his games and they're legendary to their attention to detail and incredible level of polish. Compare to Suda51, who's spent most of the last decade writing down ideas on napkins and getting other people to make them, I don't think the two directors are really in the same ballpark

I think you'll find he's only spent the past eight years writing ideas on napkins. :smith:

Killer7/No More Heroes era Suda51 would do MGS interestingly, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Yeah Bro posted:

I think you'll find he's only spent the past eight years writing ideas on napkins. :smith:

Hahahaha yeah and you thought people complained about the MGS series controls NOW? Just imagine old Suda51 controls in an MGS game. Fuuuuuuuuuck.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Hahaha no killer7 was the biggest heap of pretentious nonsense that made no sense and tried to pretend that made it cool and arty and deep when actually it was just an incoherent mess

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I will say I do sort of appreciate that Kojima decided "Before getting all the plot in, lets get all the gameplay in." I don't know if that's SOP, But a game is judged by its gameplay most of all to me. And it's truly organic and fun.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Yeah Bro posted:

This statement is wrong.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Onmi posted:

I will say I do sort of appreciate that Kojima decided "Before getting all the plot in, lets get all the gameplay in." I don't know if that's SOP, But a game is judged by its gameplay most of all to me. And it's truly organic and fun.

MGSV is everything I hoped MGS4 would be. MGSV pretty much satisfied all my expectations gameplay wise.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I just did the mission where quiet leaves and I'm kind of mad at video games because it was a bad mission :argh: aside from me getting mad at video games, I had a thought. What happened to the Parasite that Eli and Mantis have? Because I swear to god if they decide that's actually the basis of fox die somehow I'm just going to be really sad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It was in a cut mission looool

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
If I was being hyper critical I'd say the one thing that could have made the gameplay even better would be dynamic mgs4 style battles between different factions. Having a few mujahideen fighting the Soviets for control of outposts etc (or maybe more realistically just ambushing them/skirmishing). I liked the concept of sneaking through a warzone, and while v gets the perfect tone for that it's not really reflected in gameplay

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Nuebot posted:

So I just did the mission where quiet leaves and I'm kind of mad at video games because it was a bad mission :argh: aside from me getting mad at video games, I had a thought. What happened to the Parasite that Eli and Mantis have? Because I swear to god if they decide that's actually the basis of fox die somehow I'm just going to be really sad.

Really sad because of the tragedy of it being the cause of Eli's death in the future or sad because "EVERYTHING IS PARASITES!"

EDIT: Parasite therapy was the basis for FOXDIE though, Zero talks about it, the entire point of the project was to learn about how to target. And the clones were another step. FOXDIE is the third step, Targeting individuals.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Onmi posted:

Really sad because of the tragedy of it being the cause of Eli's death in the future or sad because "EVERYTHING IS PARASITES!"

EDIT: Parasite therapy was the basis for FOXDIE though, Zero talks about it, the entire point of the project was to learn about how to target. And the clones were another step. FOXDIE is the third step, Targeting individuals.

Wait, wait what? I was right? This actually is a thing in the story? :shepface: I'm not sure if I love it or hate it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Wait, wait what? I was right? This actually is a thing in the story? :shepface: I'm not sure if I love it or hate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8ejMZWVplk

Here is the part of that tape.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Kojima has a bad habit of connecting and expanding plot elements that do not need to be revised. Hence why MGS3 still has the best story. It's almost completely disconnected from the previous games and works as a stand alone origin story (And even explains Big Boss's descent into villainy far better than any other games after it)

Then MGS4 happened.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I assume that's what I get for beating the last mission? Oh boy! I guess I'll get to do that when I stop being annoyed that I only got an A on the quiet mission.

EDIT: Are we sure the Resident Evil writing staff didn't pen this idea?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Imho it's impossible to s rank that mission without the 8 warhead CGM

E: which incidentally makes sahelanthropus extreme a piece of piss. You can take off like a sixth of its health with one volley

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The weird part is that even at the end of Phantom Pain I don't feel like the boss is the guy he should be in MG1 and onwards. His motivation there was "Turn Outer Heaven into a place where Soldiers will never be discarded." When you consider that MGS 5 shows him trying to teach children not to BE soldiers. I mean I guess they're trying to say "His goal was really to destroy the Patriots all along." but that doesn't line up.

They've made it more complex in trying to tie it together.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I think boiling down Kojima's style to 'insane' is really demeaning to his work, whilst there's obviously alot of quirk to his style he's there's also alot of effort to say something meaningful in every one of his games and they're legendary to their attention to detail and incredible level of polish. Compare to Suda51, who's spent most of the last decade writing down ideas on napkins and getting other people to make them, I don't think the two directors are really in the same ballpark

theyre my favourite japanese devs, and i meant insane in a positive way. you are right concerning kojima, and to some extent right about suda, but the thing is (and the reason why i'd love to see him do something in the mgs universe) his ideas are just so different from what everyone else does most of the time. my favourite games of his are killer7 and killer is dead, both of which are more like batshit crazy fever dreams than traditional storytelling, which is why i love them.

he should totally do a game set inside big boss's head during his coma after metal gear 2 :c00lbert:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Onmi posted:

The weird part is that even at the end of Phantom Pain I don't feel like the boss is the guy he should be in MG1 and onwards. His motivation there was "Turn Outer Heaven into a place where Soldiers will never be discarded." When you consider that MGS 5 shows him trying to teach children not to BE soldiers. I mean I guess they're trying to say "His goal was really to destroy the Patriots all along." but that doesn't line up.

Wasn't that Kaz though? I mean Snake is all like "he's a natural" when it comes to child soldiers and Kaz is all like, "hell no they ain't. "

Also, I think his turn is gradual and it has been happening for a while now. I mean one mission has you recruiting a human trafficker. In terms of morals, Big Boss's is completely out of whack.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Das Butterbrot posted:

theyre my favourite japanese devs, and i meant insane in a positive way. you are right concerning kojima, and to some extent right about suda, but the thing is (and the reason why i'd love to see him do something in the mgs universe) his ideas are just so different from what everyone else does most of the time. my favourite games of his are killer7 and killer is dead, both of which are more like batshit crazy fever dreams than traditional storytelling, which is why i love them.

he should totally do a game set inside big boss's head during his coma after metal gear 2 :c00lbert:

Killer is Dead is not really a Suda51 game. It's a good game, but there is a bunch to it that gets overshadowed by the aesthetics forced onto it (self-referential elements to killer7 and the anime aesthetic that are both, presumably, mandated by Kadokawa games). I would like to see what the director would do without those restraints, but it is highly divergent to a typical Suda game, while simultaneously invoking those games. I can't think of specifics, but that was the feeling i got after playing the game at release, maybe I'll replay it soon to remember the specifics.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Confirmed that wearable motorcycle goggles are unlocked with the Chapter 3 DLC if you use the Vita via Remote Play or Transfarring and enter the Konami Code on the Quarantine Platform after fully developing the 4th FOB.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Compare to Suda51, who's spent most of the last decade writing down ideas on napkins and getting other people to make them
or writing giant robot games

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Pwnstar posted:

I would like to play a game of Liquid as a young man (played by Cam Clarke) and his buddy Psycho Mantis joining FOXHOUND and having wacky adventures.

It would play like F.E.A.R. 3 where one guys is a regular army guy with karate kicks and the other is a magic killing machine.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Onmi posted:

tbf they have that in Mission 51 where Venom Snake and Kaz leave Eli on the island to die via bombing

that might be enough to make you hate the guy who you know is your dad but he doesn't know and also he's not really your dad

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

tbf they have that in Mission 51 where Venom Snake and Kaz leave Eli on the island to die via bombing

that might be enough to make you hate the guy who you know is your dad but he doesn't know and also he's not really your dad

Eli knows everything. In one conversation Miller directly quotes Eli who said "Bring my father here". Also, the reason why Liquid hates Big Boss is because he's supposedly an inferior version of him and nothing more than genetic waste. He makes it very clear in MGS1.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
well, he doesn't know everything, like the fact that he's not your clone.

But yea, all of the reasons why he hates Big Boss are there, I was just saying him getting left on the Island of the Flies or whatever to die probably didn't help their relationship.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

ChibiSoma posted:

Also, how and when did Miller get a second foot? He very clearly only has one at the start when he's wheeled off. He has a bitchy little fit at Ocelot when the latter suggests he gets fitted for prosthetics like Snake did. Yet here he is, walkin' about with two feet. Did I miss a cutscene where he went "I got up to take a poo poo in the night, fell over, and crapped myself, Ocelot. Where's that fake foot at?" or something?
It's not a bionic foot, it's probably just a peg leg. There are several reasons to believe this, one being that it reinforces the Moby-Dick imagery (even though Venom's supposed to be Ahab, Kaz is the one who acts like Ahab), the other being that Kaz wears dress pants and nice shoes all day in the Seychelles where it's hot and humid as poo poo, when you'd think he'd be a lot more comfortable with fatigues or shorts or something. Peg legs that end in a wooden foot for a dress shoe are fairly common and hiding them with pleated slacks is as well.

Kaz isn't going completely without any assistance, or he wouldn't use a cane. He just doesn't want "easy" replacements for his missing arm and leg, so he uses a cane and a peg leg to make his life difficult so he remembers the pain.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
You can argue that a peg leg isn't a real bionic foot and therefore not a real substitute for what he lost so he can keep on hating.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Discendo Vox posted:

45 has been no traced. It's, um, stupidly easy, it turns out. Call D-Walker at the very starting instant to kick Quiet off the team.
Not quite true. There's definitely a glitch going on here but on an unmodded PC version something very different happens when you attempt to do that.

Until I see proof I don't buy that No Traces is possible. It would be if Quiet can be forced out of the mission area, but it's not quite as simple as the prenatual video commenter suggested and I suspect he either has the "Get Quiet Back" mod installed (which may circumvent the issue as the game is scripted to force-remove Quiet as a buddy during the lead-in story events for 45, perhaps causing a glitch if the game tries to remove her) or is on a console that perhaps has some sort of different issue handling behavior.

Basically I'm calling him out on this as I think he's bullshitting, but I'd love to be proven wrong so if anyone can get this swap glitch to work I'm all ears. I already figured out the Pequod glitch for this mission (after a Checkpoint the LZ becomes active and Pequod can be called there and will notice the enemy vehicles and attack them), so if Quiet can be swapped for D-Dog or D-Walker then that plus Pequod plus Mist Parasites should lead to a fairly handy No Traces.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Nakar posted:

Not quite true. There's definitely a glitch going on here but on an unmodded PC version something very different happens when you attempt to do that.

Until I see proof I don't buy that No Traces is possible. It would be if Quiet can be forced out of the mission area, but it's not quite as simple as the prenatual video commenter suggested and I suspect he either has the "Get Quiet Back" mod installed (which may circumvent the issue as the game is scripted to force-remove Quiet as a buddy during the lead-in story events for 45, perhaps causing a glitch if the game tries to remove her) or is on a console that perhaps has some sort of different issue handling behavior.

Basically I'm calling him out on this as I think he's bullshitting, but I'd love to be proven wrong so if anyone can get this swap glitch to work I'm all ears. I already figured out the Pequod glitch for this mission (after a Checkpoint the LZ becomes active and Pequod can be called there and will notice the enemy vehicles and attack them), so if Quiet can be swapped for D-Dog or D-Walker then that plus Pequod plus Mist Parasites should lead to a fairly handy No Traces.

That's wierd, for me a completely different glitch happened where Quiet turned invisible in her cutscenes and I couldn't use any buddies during the attack

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Bholder posted:

That's wierd, for me a completely different glitch happened where Quiet turned invisible in her cutscenes and I couldn't use any buddies during the attack
That's pretty weird, can you record that? Or at least document the steps that you took to get there?

I mean, there's definitely a glitch happening (and 45 was glitched to start with), the question is how it works and can we exploit it in our favor somehow.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Only happened to me once when I first played the mission.

I thought it's going to turn into a sneaking one, so I summoned D-Dog. Pretty sure DD was in the air when I activated the cutscene.

It also happened a couple patches ago, so it might not work anymore.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I just love this game, so, so much.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Buschmaki posted:

I just love this game, so, so much.

As nuts as the /r/neverbegameover people are I really can't blame them, I seriously wish there was more MGSV for me to play. poo poo, patch in more weird side-ops like the puppet cleanup or more weird rescues, I'd be happy.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Apparently they're going to be releasing zombie/snatcher side-ops as DLC, as well as the Tuxedo, the MGS3 Sneaking Suit, and EVA's outfit and the Boss' Sneaking Suit.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

ThomasPaine posted:

Hahaha no killer7 was the biggest heap of pretentious nonsense that made no sense and tried to pretend that made it cool and arty and deep when actually it was just an incoherent mess

There's a lot of depth to Killer7 that makes the plot almost impenetrable, so I don't blame you for dismissing it as randomly cobbled together nonsense, but its one of the few games that makes a good argument for video games as art.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Broseph Brostar posted:

There's a lot of depth to Killer7 that makes the plot almost impenetrable, so I don't blame you for dismissing it as randomly cobbled together nonsense, but its one of the few games that makes a good argument for video games as art.

If Killer7's gameplay wasn't such garbage it would be fantastic.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sorely disappointed at the lack of pooyan/banana holdup/etc. missions.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

marauderthirty posted:

I'm sorely disappointed at the lack of pooyan/banana holdup/etc. missions.

This and no date with Ocelot mission.:(

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Broseph Brostar posted:

Killer 7 is a tin of the cheapest baked beans that thinks it's the highest quality caviar. Just like this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Killer 7 is a tin of the cheapest baked beans that thinks it's the highest quality caviar. Just like this post.

Yeah but they put acid in the beans so it's still a good time.

• Locked thread