Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wit
Jul 26, 2011
So in my head (not that it has to make sense), the chronology of mad max stuff is: mad max 1 (the world is gone to poo poo, he's on one of the last patches of sanity in Aus. Some areas have been turned into wastelands for a generation), then he enters the wastelands of mad max 2 (this world has been turned to poo poo for maybe 50 years), then if this game counts, it happens, then fury road (which is why he knows normal pre-apocalypse stuff that old people who were born in the wasteland don't). After that, Mad Max 3 because he's over finding a destination other than the desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

MrMojok posted:

Did they ever patch the patch that broke the map and the stuttering people have talked about in here? I quit playing the game because I got really busy with work, then never started again once I read the comments ITT about the last patch.

Nope, 3 weeks and still nothing. I think you should be fine as long as you don't fully upgrade a stonghold.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So I'm just about to finish up this game, having 100%'d the content aside from races... And one overworld mission. I have a blue dot in Deep Friah's territory with the instructions 'drive chum in front of the man' and absolutely nothing I do seems to trigger whatever cutscene is supposed to be related to it. I try parking in front of the man, driving slowly in front of him, parking and getting out... He just will not take notice of Chum.

Very frustrating.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Poizen Jam posted:

So I'm just about to finish up this game, having 100%'d the content aside from races... And one overworld mission. I have a blue dot in Deep Friah's territory with the instructions 'drive chum in front of the man' and absolutely nothing I do seems to trigger whatever cutscene is supposed to be related to it. I try parking in front of the man, driving slowly in front of him, parking and getting out... He just will not take notice of Chum.

Very frustrating.

That's not a wasteland mission, just a randon stranger event. All he'll do is say "woah that's really him" and give you a pittance of scrap. It's safe to ignore it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

MrMojok posted:

Did they ever patch the patch that broke the map and the stuttering people have talked about in here? I quit playing the game because I got really busy with work, then never started again once I read the comments ITT about the last patch.

I think the devs have abandoned the game, we're not getting any DLC and it feels like they're done with the patches.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

JFC posted:

Any tips on filling my fury meter in 10 seconds?

I think I ended up getting that on in the arena challenge with an early shotgun blast into a perfect parry. It rewards balls-to-the-wall aggression.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Parkingtigers posted:

That's not a wasteland mission, just a randon stranger event. All he'll do is say "woah that's really him" and give you a pittance of scrap. It's safe to ignore it.

Good to know.

Are the cheevos bugged or something? I've 100%'d every camp and scavenging site but A Thousand Words and Explosions are Not Enough simply aren't triggering. Am I missing something?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Poizen Jam posted:

Good to know.

Are the cheevos bugged or something? I've 100%'d every camp and scavenging site but A Thousand Words and Explosions are Not Enough simply aren't triggering. Am I missing something?

Did you tinker with game files to fix the map bug? I read that might cause it.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Nope, no mods, not even an ini edit. Map bug?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

quote:

Patch 4 is currently being finalized for Mad Max. We are working to release the patch in the next couple of weeks. This patch will include a number of general bug fixes

Well if that isn't reassuring :smith:

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Last patch deleted my save, locked me out of quests and seemed to change nothing of value regarding bugs, so I wonder what this new one does.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

OK, that's a hell of a ride from the Gastown race through to the end.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Deakul posted:

I think the devs have abandoned the game, we're not getting any DLC and it feels like they're done with the patches.

Amused to read this an hour before notification of an upcoming patch

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Thirsty Dog posted:

Amused to read this an hour before notification of an upcoming patch

Glad to be wrong in the patching department.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Anyone wanna take bets on them adding respawning enemies on the map after finishing the game?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Just give me more convoys, more cars, more carnage.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
It's probably too much work for a patch, but I'd have really liked to see a war rig special encounter. Not the dinky Scrotus thing, but a really tough tanker with outriders that you would have to take down before it crosses the map.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I'm waiting for something like that, but after gibbed hinted at it I'm REALLY waiting for mod support. I've played through the story twice, and the only thing I have left to do are the repetitive challenges and races, and I can't really muster any enthusiasm for those.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Something that rather bugs me, Chum freaks out when Max says he want to throw two large tanks in the back like the Interceptor, because he'll have nowhere to stand.
Dude, just put a passenger seat in, the buggy has one, why not the Opus. Even without the seat Max could still fit both the Gyro Captain and a dog in the Interceptor in Mad Max 2.

Another thing, about the very end Chum refuses to get out of the Opus when you ram the Land Mover, because "She'll die!" I've rammed into a bloody beached freighter with that same bumper I had at the end, the heaviest one, at a much higher velocity, and lost like 10% of the car's hp at most.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 17, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Groetgaffel posted:

Another thing, about the very end Chum refuses to get out of the Opus when you ram the Land Mover, because "She'll die!" I've rammed into a bloody beached freighter with that same bumper I had at the end, the heaviest one, at a much higher velocity, and lost like 10% of the car's hp at most.

I didn't like the ending. Sacrificing Chum just seemed excessively callous and short sighted even for Max. Plus I just didn't buy it when he gives the 'this is the only way' line. If he didn't push the war rig off the cliff, literally nothing would have changed. It was already immobilized. Scrotus either dies, flees on foot, or flees in the car- either way, Max ditching his own car puts him in a worse position.

Bad news: Those stupid cheevos will just not trigger. I've checked every encampment on the map- threat is 0 everywhere (meaning I've cleared all encampments) and mousing over the encampments tells me they've all been 100% looted. No history relics unaccounted for at balloon sites either. Can't imagine what I'm missing- really annoyed because a full complete of this game is a non trivial time investment.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Black Griffon posted:

Just give me more convoys, more cars, more carnage.

One huge convoy all around the entire map. At the very front is the convoy leader with a hood ornament the size of your car.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Wamdoodle posted:

One huge convoy all around the entire map. At the very front is the convoy leader with a hood ornament the size of your car.
Better yet, the hood ornament IS a car.

Poizen Jam posted:

Bad news: Those stupid cheevos will just not trigger. I've checked every encampment on the map- threat is 0 everywhere (meaning I've cleared all encampments) and mousing over the encampments tells me they've all been 100% looted. No history relics unaccounted for at balloon sites either. Can't imagine what I'm missing- really annoyed because a full complete of this game is a non trivial time investment.
I seem to remember reading about an unmarked history relic somewhere in Pink Eye's stronghold, possibly on/by some cots in an out-of-the-way corner?

I've unlocked both of the achievements that don't work for you "A Thousand Words" but not the other one because gently caress that :shobon:, so at least they're not broken as a rule.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 18, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MMAgCh posted:

Better yet, the hood ornament IS a car.
I seem to remember reading about an unmarked history relic somewhere in Pink Eye's stronghold, possibly on/by some cots in an out-of-the-way corner?

There's one in Deep Friah's place too, but you're more likely to come across it doing the projects.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
It was both, thanks guys. Weird- unmarked historical relics. Although I misinterpreted 'complete all non-repeating challenges' and haha there's no way I'm 100%'ing this game. I don't even think I have access to enough enemies for some of the challenges.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Yep, the challenges cheev is the only one I can't be bothered to get. If I'd thought about it before I'd cleaned the map I might be inclined but there's loads of combat ones which are just gonna be tedious now so eh.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Just finished this game and although I liked it at points, the boss design is downright some of the laziest design I have seen in a game for a very long time. Even the few differences they made to each of the bosses were boring as hell. Every boss that I faced was the same procession of 'wait for it to charge, dodge easily, then punch' and both the design of their attacks and their overall aesthetic was really phoned in. The combat on foot was pretty unimaginative as well in terms of mechanisms: the only thing I really liked was the car combat which was fun, fast and adrenaline pumping.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Tekopo posted:

Just finished this game and although I liked it at points, the boss design is downright some of the laziest design I have seen in a game for a very long time. Even the few differences they made to each of the bosses were boring as hell. Every boss that I faced was the same procession of 'wait for it to charge, dodge easily, then punch' and both the design of their attacks and their overall aesthetic was really phoned in. The combat on foot was pretty unimaginative as well in terms of mechanisms: the only thing I really liked was the car combat which was fun, fast and adrenaline pumping.

It got me wondering if there were many things unfinished or abandoned during development- Fuel scarcity a nonissue, repetitive boss fights, fairly empty new game+, etc.

All the enemies you fight on foot have the same 'class' across different gangs- Novice guy, knife guy, weapon guy, sniper guy, huge hulking guy,etc. Once you complete all the convoys they don't come back. Liberating forts means enemies don't spawn there. It gets really hard to complete some challenges after beating the game because enemy density becomes sparse.

I really wish New Game+ had more going for it. By the time you max out the Magnum Opus, there's few adversaries to challenge yourself with. It would have been cool if reaching Road Warrior meant greatly increased enemy spawns, random convoys, and so on. Or a survival mode requiring you to use the Black on Black, fending off increasing waves of warboys and necessitating scavenging fuel/water off destroyed vehicles, which leads directly to the beginning of Fury Road.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
So I cleared Jeets territory completely to 0 threat, but there are still patrols driving around everywhere.
The game lied and that number really has no effect, has it? :unsmith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I have played this game for 28 non-consecutive hours since buying it and I don't regret one second of it.

I feel like defusing mines would feel a lot less annoying if shotgun shells didn't become incredibly easy to acquire so early in the game. Like if you were getting something worthwhile any time you took the time to detour into a nearby minefield. It'd also help if you could switch to the buggy without heading back to a stronghold, possibly using some kind of flare. For what it's worth, the buggy is fun to drive around, and controls like a buggy should. All the optional cars are pretty fun, it's just a shame that the game doesn't incentivize ever leaving the Magnum Opus.

sauer kraut posted:

So I cleared Jeets territory completely to 0 threat, but there are still patrols driving around everywhere.
The game lied and that number really has no effect, has it? :unsmith:

Are you sure those aren't just Roadkill?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

All the optional cars are pretty fun, it's just a shame that the game doesn't incentivize ever leaving the Magnum Opus.

the scrapulance is not very fun

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Earwicker posted:

the scrapulance is not very fun

The first one was completely thrilling. I was so poor, and it was a long way back to the keep, and a storm hit, and enemies attacked, and I just barely got that fucker in with no visible health left. It was SO satisfying. Then the rest of them were just boring slogs from point A to point B with no challenge. Ugh.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I've picked this game up again after being away for a while and just now got to Gastown, I am really impressed by the world design. I love the way gastown is there on the horizon from the very beginning, a distant and vaguely menacing presence, and then you get closer and closer, and when you finally get to Gastown the place lives up to its hype, its a great hellscape especially the garbage mountains just outside the town itself. Also love how the areas in the start of the game have the feeling of Fury Road and then the areas you go to later on feel like the first two movies when there are more traces of normal infrastructure left. Also the driving and car combat is still a blast though I wish the game wasn't so repetitive.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
If you could disarm minefields without the buggy, (e.g. on foot with a metal detector) and it gave you a heap of scrap it would be much better.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I wish you could just drop Chum out of the Opus and bring the dog.

Sure you won't get weapons and a repair-monkey, but at least you could stick with the uparmored V8 monster.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Are you sure those aren't just Roadkill?

Honestly I don't know what the difference is but the problem has mostly been dealt with, thank you upgraded Thunderpoon.
gently caress dealing with armoured enemies with anything but a Thunderpoon to the face.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pocket Billiards posted:

If you could disarm minefields without the buggy, (e.g. on foot with a metal detector) and it gave you a heap of scrap it would be much better.
Just put the loving dog in the opus, what the gently caress.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Gotta admit, now I'm more into the game it's dangerously close to being equal with Arkham Knight for GOTY so far. A ton of little details like the demoralized War Criers if you spare them, and all the different enemy barks... :allears:

Combat's grown on me as well. It just seemed like a much clunkier version of Batman fights initially and...well, that's what it is really, but I love how dirty and underhanded how everything feels. Every punch feels like it's doing some actual damage and the meaty cracks during special moves make me wince every single time. Unlike with the Arkham series I'm not questioning why anyone survives, I'm questioning why they don't drop at the first strike!

e; Also I hope I'm not the only one who has kept Max deliberately shirtless throughout the game. He has a big scruffy beard and massive gloves/arm bands on but nothing else. Lends a demented homo-erotic edge to everything which isn't too far off the canon, I guess.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 22, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

evil_bunnY posted:

Just put the loving dog in the opus, what the gently caress.

Dog should just chill in the passenger seat at all times, and bail automatically if the Opus catches fire. Chum rides in back and manages repairs and weaponry, Max drives, and Dog watches for mines and is a good dog.

e: also Dog should fight boarders on the passenger side because watching some War Boy jump on and go WITNESS M-OH gently caress ANGRY DOG I DID NOT THINK THIS THROUGH sounds awesome and funny as heck

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 22, 2015

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

Dog should just chill in the passenger seat at all times, and bail automatically if the Opus catches fire. Chum rides in back and manages repairs and weaponry, Max drives, and Dog watches for mines and is a good dog.

e: also Dog should fight boarders on the passenger side because watching some War Boy jump on and go WITNESS M-OH gently caress ANGRY DOG I DID NOT THINK THIS THROUGH sounds awesome and funny as heck
Make it so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Going first person in the Opus and looking at the dog should have it bark happily and lick you ::3:

TBH I wish they had elements of MGSV's D-Dog in this game. Pull up next to an enemy vehicle, and sic your doggy at them to cause the mauled driver to swerve wildly then call him back in the Opus.

• Locked thread