Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

-Zydeco- posted:

1975 ST90

:swoon:
It's PERFECT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Winterized my bike today. First I put on some ugly, cheap, tiny handguards:

And then put on some even uglier handlebar muffs:

My awesome winter gloves from the past couple seasons broke and I couldn't find them in stock anywhere. I figured this was the easiest and cheapest way to keep my hands from going numb this year. The muffs are also super easy to put on/take off so it will be perfect for cold morning and warm afternoon commutes for the next month until I'll need them on all the time.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Got a bunch of poo poo done on the motor rebuild/upgrade for my 1956 BMW R50. Got the new carbs mostly together, ordered two totally unique thread taps to hopefully fix the remaining unassembled parts of the carbs (M6x0.75 and M15x1.0), bent and filed and cleaned and finally fixed the worst hi-beam switch in the world and got it working again and then rigged up an LED headlight bulb for it, sandblasted and painted the new airbox, got the bearings on the camshaft, replaced a circlip on the mechanical advance, soldered together a loose terminal for the kill switch wire. Also hosed with the moped a bit and think I discovered the starting problem is the starter clutch shoes were contaminated with grease or oil and were slipping, so ordered a couple new ones. And tightened the throttle cable.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Pics, dude!

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

Am I seeing it right, that it's a hondamatic? What's the clutch lever do?

As for your question, there should be a sizing chart at home depot or wherever you go to buy your screws, you can check the good bolt and find out how big you need to go. I went here and If I'm looking at the right screws it says 6x18, but I could be wrong.

Those bolts are probably M6x18mm with a 10mm head.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Rode about 300 miles this past weekend on the FZR. Was surprised I wasn't extremely uncomfortable by the end of it.

Last mile of the trip my front sprocket nut came off. Walk of shame that was.

Check my post history for lols.

Everything is cleaned up and back together. Ready for a track day at MSRH next weekend!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

God drat piece of poo poo cheese metal Kappa/Givi key.

I can open the box which still has half a key inside the lock, but not the other one. The other one contains all the groceries I just bought.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Let it take a nap after a 700 mile trip to death valley.

E start quit on day two for fuckwatever reason. day 3 it started working after I forgot to turn the kill switch off and kicked it for 5 minutes solid.
Noticed the torque limiting gear cover was leaking a little so I pushed it over to replace the O ring and generally look the starter bullshit over.

the wifes bike? lolololol

One of these things is not like the other.

It just rolled 30,000 mi the day before too. Uhauled the fucker home.

He's ordering a ported/polished big valve head and a 790cc kit for it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fuuuuuuck.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My heart sank the second I saw that lower valve. What bike is it, again? Seems like a good a reason as any to upgrade it, but I am not sure how much of an upgrade 790cc is. Is it a 750 of some sort?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
2006 DR650. Hes not even had it 6 months either heh.

it went pop about half a mile from furnace creek ranch.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
650 to 790 sounds like a pretty decent power boost. Good thing it didn't pop when you were out on the trails or something. I see you put the dirt wheels back on for that excursion.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

650 to 790 sounds like a pretty decent power boost. Good thing it didn't pop when you were out on the trails or something. I see you put the dirt wheels back on for that excursion.

We're super fortunate it didnt explode the day before, we were thinking of running some single track stuff back towards the hotel, but at last minute decided not to. That morning when we filled our bikes Id noted that it was sounding a bit off. rode south to artist drive and it was closed so the group backtracked north, right as he passed the resort it died.

yeah I burned the dogshit out of the t63 on that trip though. playing catchup with R1200GSAs on the highway isn't fun or easy. and on the fire trails I tore some chunks out of the side lugs.

fwiw I went from 400 to 424 in mine. ever lil' bit counts. :3:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Are dr650's reliable in general? My gut tells me an air cooled Suzuki tractor should be pretty reliable but I'm not familiar with them at all.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: nm

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 14, 2015

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I finished replacing all of the in-tank fuel system parts on the F4i. It was formerly cutting out over 10krpm, conveniently removing most of my powerband. I think it was close to complete failure, given the condition of the hoses and the crud in the bottom of the tank.

While I wasn't able to test the rev range in my lap around the block, at least nothing is leaking. We'll see how it does on my next track day.

Oh, and I upgraded the handgourds on the DRZ

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

kuffs posted:

I finished replacing all of the in-tank fuel system parts on the F4i. It was formerly cutting out over 10krpm, conveniently removing most of my powerband. I think it was close to complete failure, given the condition of the hoses and the crud in the bottom of the tank.

While I wasn't able to test the rev range in my lap around the block, at least nothing is leaking. We'll see how it does on my next track day.

Owns.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

kuffs posted:

This is fantastic. I gotta do this this coming weekend.

Today I installed a new battery and ripped out the PIAA aux lights from the PO. Replacing them with LED.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

kuffs posted:

One of the many things I will miss about my poor dizzer is playing dress-up for the holidays. :sigh:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ola posted:

God drat piece of poo poo cheese metal Kappa/Givi key.

I can open the box which still has half a key inside the lock, but not the other one. The other one contains all the groceries I just bought.

What about the other givi key on your key chain? Other case?

My key's plastic broke in half when my case was jammed by some sand. Those keys are not meant to last it seems.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The other key is for the top case, which came with the bike. I bought the side cases later and haven't matched up the keys. Thankfully I had a spare key in a drawer, so dinner went as planned.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Stickers :kiddo:

e: no, I've never washed my bike, why do you ask

M42 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 15, 2015

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

M42 posted:

Stickers :kiddo:

e: no, I've never washed my bike, why do you ask

Come do Fontana, AutoClub speedway. It looks like a wiener!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Perfect, I was just thinking I needed a second dick on my bike

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

That looks like a really fun track I must say.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Sunday: washed & waxed it :D

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Finally got the TL delivered, nice previous owner. I'm probably a colossal idiot for getting another bike but i've always wanted one.

Installed a new battery I had waiting, she fired right up easily, checked the charging voltages, all checked out, just have to deal with front fork springs which arrive tomorrow.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've wanted one of those for so loving long. Has it still got the horrible factory shock?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Slavvy posted:

I've wanted one of those for so loving long. Has it still got the horrible factory shock?

yes, although it's supposed to be better than the one on the TL1000s, wont be able to find out until after I swap out the fork springs tomorrow. Debating whether or not to get some aftermarket cans for it, stock cans don't sound though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

Looks like someone turned a guitar inside out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

infraboy posted:

yes, although it's supposed to be better than the one on the TL1000s, wont be able to find out until after I swap out the fork springs tomorrow.

"Better than the TL1000S" isn't saying much. I know you can get ohlins replacements which bolt in but I have no idea what they cost. Despite their questionable reputation and strange design decisions I really, really like those bikes and I'm insanely jealous. Please don't highside yourself into a tree.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Slavvy posted:

"Better than the TL1000S" isn't saying much. I know you can get ohlins replacements which bolt in but I have no idea what they cost. Despite their questionable reputation and strange design decisions I really, really like those bikes and I'm insanely jealous. Please don't highside yourself into a tree.

Thanks! ended up getting it for 2400$, just needs a few things like the fork springs which I got from racetech for 100$ and I may as well change the fork oil while i'm in there and the battery was 52$,

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
^^^Great buy on that TL! It looks good, and that's a pretty good deal, especially since it's something you have always wanted.

Today I got a MAD TYTE HONDA Lawnmower cable CUSTOM fitted to the ninjette clutch. 100% better than before. It's so clutch.

Seriously, though, the clutch cable snapped in the mountains while I was well and far away from civilization, and 2 hours from home. Since I was already moving, I resolved to not stop until I got to the cool Union Powersports shop in blairsville, about 15 miles away. It was not a fun ride, and I'm just glad I know how to do clutchless shifts. There WERE a couple clutchless shifts that were painfully hard and poorly done. The guys at the shop seemed certain that I didn't do any damage with those, and I hope they are right.

I showed up, told them what happened, and asked if there was anything at all they could do for me so I could limp the bike 2.5 hours home. I took the risk on this shop in particular, because they were really awesome to work with when the chain on my SV snapped two years ago, during a mountain ride. I hoped they wouldn't send me away with a "well we don't have your part in stock", and they didn't disappoint. Two of their top mechanics got right on top of the problem, and dug around the shop for stopgap options for me. In the end, they had a random honda cable that looked like a clutch cable and was long enough, just needed one end fabricated to fit with 30 minutes of angle grinder finesse and install.

It was 85.00 out the door, and the pull is 1/3 the weight of stock. It feels like butter and I'm sad that I have to order a stock one asap to install, since it feels so nice. While I was waiting the other mechanics took me around the back of the shop talking about various cool bike projects they had going on, and generally let me wander. Was pretty cool.

What is even more cool, they remembered me and my SV from two years ago. They even remembered the mods the SV had. Good folks.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 16, 2015

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Had to ped my $0 Vespa to Lowe's to get a drill bit to fix my $15000 BMW.

Here's the heads and case all clean. Almost ready to start putting poo poo together. Note the case is single piece, there is no split, unlike every lesser brand of motorcycle such as the British and Japanese and Italians and Americans.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Thats pretty neat

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What goes in the braincase looking thing at the top?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

What goes in the braincase looking thing at the top?

Air filter.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Today I put a new fork on it. Went for a test ride, thinking I'd kill two birds with one stone and ride to the wine shop to buy a bottle of champagne for the neighbor who is 40 today. On the way there I found that one of the fork seals were leaking and that one of the calipers was rubbing on its brake disk. Made it to the shop, a 20 minute ride, 10 minutes before it closed. Found I had forgotten my wallet. Started for home, frustration with the futile trip made me accelerate sprightly. Exhaust was suddenly very loud, I pulled over. The end bit of the exhaust had fallen out. Turned around, saw that bit in the middle of the road, thankfully not run over. Stopped on the side of the road, walked over to it. It had now been run over and was bent. Rode home loudly. Got home, went to get a rag in my side case to wipe the leaking fork, the side case which has a broken key in it. I can no longer open it and have to break the lock. Oh and my right rear indicator is no longer working even though the bulb is fine. Time to park the bike for the season I think.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Started winter prepping it. Winter is coming and we've already had a couple of black ice incidents because most people haven't put winter tires on yet. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
I fixed my wonky rear turn signals.

Before:

After:

Then I needed to fix the hack job the PO did on some plastic repairs. While I was waiting for the glue to dry, I put some vinyl on the instrument surround.