Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

IceAgeComing posted:

Don't know what to think about that: wasn't great but wasn't terrible. My mum liked it and said that it "wasn't as confusing as the other ones were" which I totally didn't get

It was a dramatically simpler story. Doctor Goes A Place -> Some Aliens Are There -> He Helps The Locals Defeat Them Using Clever vs causal loops and whatever the dalek one was about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

IceAgeComing posted:

What you seem to be implying is that Time and the Rani isn't bollocks, which is objectively wrong

No no, that's the starting out bollocks bit!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I liked bits of it, especially the bits where Capaldi actually got to ACT. (And Maisie Williams got to act. And Jenna Coleman, to some extent, the scene where she almost convinces them to leave was brill) but there was so much stupid it just bothered me. Electric eels do not live in Norway. Vikings didn't wear horned helmets. I'm pretty sure Vikings didn't call themselves Vikings, although that can be handwaved by translation circuits, but why were those still working when it was two days' sail away? If Baby is a language, why cant the TARDIS translate that too? Electromagnets strong enough to do that from that distance would also have been strong enough to rip all the nails out of the roof, not to mention the phone out of the dude's hand. Etc etc etc. The fake CGI snake looked horrible, and it didn't make it much better that it turned out to in fact BE a fake CGI snake in story, because... why were the power armoured laser-wielding strongest warriors in the galaxy SCARED of a snake? Why did Ashildr even need to be in the helmet in the first place, it's not like she had any ability to use the tech. Or was it some kind of mind reading helmet? The whole thing with her dying felt a bit weak and un-foreshadowed, but setting the doctor up as willing to sacrifice her for everyone else felt in keeping with Capaldi's portrayal. Then the finale was just a complete take-back of that whole interesting development. And also, has the Doctor learned NOTHING about what goes wrong when alien battlefield technology goes to work on humans from ARE YOU MY MUMMY for gently caress's sake.

It rang too much of spitfires in space and robin hood with laser sheriffs. Either do comedy, in which case don't do dark and serious, or do dark and serious in which case gently caress off with the silly electric eels and so forth.

It had its moments, I liked the aliens, both the power armour and the head design, Capaldi's moments of bombast and some of the jokes and character interactions etc. But overall it just had too many moments which broke my suspension of disbelief to actually enjoy it.

I was also a bit baffled by TO BE CONTINUED. It was a finished story, albeit setting up what is clearly intended to be a recurring character. The next story isn't *continuing* this one, it's a new story which happens to include this person.

Arg.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

thespaceinvader posted:

why were the power armoured laser-wielding strongest warriors in the galaxy SCARED of a snake?

Why is the dominant life form on this planet scared of spiders/snakes/the dark/goddamn clowns?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

thespaceinvader posted:

The fake CGI snake looked horrible

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The bad CGI snake didn't bother me because its Doctor Who: its meant to have the occasional bad special effect

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Finally, the Doctor Who 2015 CGI buget has caught up to 1996. :haw:

Some stuff is excusable for the sake of narrative convention...unless you really want to be watching people trying to speak Old Norse for an hour. Or wondering why physics struggles with a eel-powered electro-magnet.

The rest of the complaints could just be put down to lazy, inconsistant writing, which is fair enough.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 17, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

All these snakes can only mean one thing..... the Mara is back, baby!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

thespaceinvader posted:

I liked bits of it, especially the bits where Capaldi actually got to ACT. (And Maisie Williams got to act. And Jenna Coleman, to some extent, the scene where she almost convinces them to leave was brill) but there was so much stupid it just bothered me. Electric eels do not live in Norway. Vikings didn't wear horned helmets. I'm pretty sure Vikings didn't call themselves Vikings, although that can be handwaved by translation circuits, but why were those still working when it was two days' sail away? If Baby is a language, why cant the TARDIS translate that too? Electromagnets strong enough to do that from that distance would also have been strong enough to rip all the nails out of the roof, not to mention the phone out of the dude's hand. Etc etc etc.

What a rubbish set of nitpicks, you can do better than that (especially given that "two days sail away" is nothing in the grand scheme of things, what about the stories where the TARDIS doesn't even appear!)

But yeah the last few minutes of the story were clearly setting up [subsequent story] rather than having anything to do with the episode at hand.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

I liked bits of it, especially the bits where Capaldi actually got to ACT. (And Maisie Williams got to act. And Jenna Coleman, to some extent, the scene where she almost convinces them to leave was brill) but there was so much stupid it just bothered me. Electric eels do not live in Norway. Vikings didn't wear horned helmets. I'm pretty sure Vikings didn't call themselves Vikings, although that can be handwaved by translation circuits, but why were those still working when it was two days' sail away? If Baby is a language, why cant the TARDIS translate that too? Electromagnets strong enough to do that from that distance would also have been strong enough to rip all the nails out of the roof, not to mention the phone out of the dude's hand. Etc etc etc. The fake CGI snake looked horrible, and it didn't make it much better that it turned out to in fact BE a fake CGI snake in story, because... why were the power armoured laser-wielding strongest warriors in the galaxy SCARED of a snake? Why did Ashildr even need to be in the helmet in the first place, it's not like she had any ability to use the tech. Or was it some kind of mind reading helmet? The whole thing with her dying felt a bit weak and un-foreshadowed, but setting the doctor up as willing to sacrifice her for everyone else felt in keeping with Capaldi's portrayal. Then the finale was just a complete take-back of that whole interesting development. And also, has the Doctor learned NOTHING about what goes wrong when alien battlefield technology goes to work on humans from ARE YOU MY MUMMY for gently caress's sake.

It rang too much of spitfires in space and robin hood with laser sheriffs. Either do comedy, in which case don't do dark and serious, or do dark and serious in which case gently caress off with the silly electric eels and so forth.

It had its moments, I liked the aliens, both the power armour and the head design, Capaldi's moments of bombast and some of the jokes and character interactions etc. But overall it just had too many moments which broke my suspension of disbelief to actually enjoy it.

I was also a bit baffled by TO BE CONTINUED. It was a finished story, albeit setting up what is clearly intended to be a recurring character. The next story isn't *continuing* this one, it's a new story which happens to include this person.

Arg.

Dr Who isn't a history, nature or science documentary.

I liked it - my favourite of this season so far.
Start was good, highlighting the fact that they have adventures we don't get to see.
Coleman, Capaldi and Masie Williams got their acting on.
Loved the training segment - the lineup with the nicknames and the cutaway to the chaos after he let them have real swords was awesome.
That was how you do a 2 parter. Next week looks cool (although wierdly the "next time" section didn't have Clara in it )

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What a rubbish set of nitpicks, you can do better than that (especially given that "two days sail away" is nothing in the grand scheme of things, what about the stories where the TARDIS doesn't even appear!)

But yeah the last few minutes of the story were clearly setting up [subsequent story] rather than having anything to do with the episode at hand.
Eh, I'm basically just verbatim quoting the things which actually struck me actually during the episode. I'm not trying to pick nits per se, if I was I could find a lot more, but those are the things that just shouted at me (and vice versa) when they first came on screen.

Mr Beens posted:

Dr Who isn't a history, nature or science documentary.
Actually it kind of was a history documentary originally. And yes, I do take that point, but at the same time, there's no harm in being accurate to things like horned helmets. And electric eels. Because they're things that kick people out of stories.

I'm getting less and less interested with earth-history episodes for just this reason. Sometimes they're great (The Girl in the Fireplace, in particular, I really enjoyed) but I find ten minutes in the future or ten million years in the future (or just In Space generally) to be preferable to relatively recent history, just because I KNOW about relatively recent history and geography, and it's really jarring when they ignore it wholesale for a gag.

SiKboy posted:

Why is the dominant life form on this planet scared of spiders/snakes/the dark/goddamn clowns?
They were in power armour with lasers. The snake was a snake. The dominant species is scared of clowns, but we're a lot less scared when we're in tanks.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

thespaceinvader posted:

They were in power armour with lasers. The snake was a snake. The dominant species is scared of clowns, but we're a lot less scared when we're in tanks.

I know plenty people who would throw a tank they were driing into reverse if they saw a regular spider, let alone one bigger than the tank they were driving.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

For that matter, at least one of them had its helmet off. Why didn't it just tell its mates that they were clearly not seeing the same thing?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

The Viking Farmer Army training montage was funny, and nothing was offensively bad to me, as a guy who doesn't know much about electric eels, vikings, or geography. The mechanics of the contraption at the end weren't really elaborated on, which is fine as it would've all been technobabble anyway. I liked the smallness of the episode, much the like the past two-part story. I also liked that the Doctor was in clear moral conflict about the whole affair, never quite settling on whether he ought to leave be or help or where he should draw the line on helping. I liked his constant doubting, especially when he was kicking himself for making viking girl immortal. The key actors were good, the viking actors were entertaining but I can't remember the names of any of their characters. The cuts to 10's stuff was done as well as it could have been, not too big on the notion of doing continuity based on a casting choice from about 5 years ago but hey ho. Overall, it was alright, pretty standard stuff, the next time trailer looks to be more standard stuff in the same vein.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Wait a minute, if the chip in Ashildr works the same way for the Maya, does that make them immortal too?

... I guess it explains why they're so bored and jaded that they fly around the universe abducting manly men and drinking their manliness.

IceAgeComing posted:

What you seem to be implying is that Time and the Rani isn't bollocks, which is objectively wrong

I unno, I liked the bit where the Rani combined the greatest minds in history to come up with

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Actually it kind of was a history documentary originally. And yes, I do take that point, but at the same time, there's no harm in being accurate to things like horned helmets. And electric eels. Because they're things that kick people out of stories.

Well yeah, back in 1964 - that point hasn't been relevant or a remit of the show since about the third series.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Literally the 5th ever episode of the show threw out any pretense of being historical education by introducing the Daleks.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The original concept was to alternate history stories with science stories, which is why Chesterfield is a science teacher, so he could talk somewhere vaguely near the Doctor's level about the sciency things that he was going to find in the future (and presumably have his mind blown when he learns about plate tectonics and seafloor spreading).

I'd have preferred to do without the silly horned helmets, but I can live with it if it's in the service of something that was that good otherwise. I do like the idea of really experimenting and pushing the boundaries of what a two-part story actually is.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

It's been established that in the Doctor Who universe, Vikings DID wear horned helmets. Ask yourself: would you truly rather have historical accuracy over "what do you think it is, a space helmet for a cow?!"

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 18, 2015

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I really liked this episode and I think it was the best characterization of Clara in a long time. Good performances all around too.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
This was probably my favorite episode of the season so far, though I bet The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar will work a lot better back to back. There was some goofiness involved, but the training montage was fun, and I absolutely loved the Doctor's way of circumventing the standard third act of the Seven Samurai model. Making a fool out of a dangerous enemy is the ultimate Doctor-y way of winning. Humiliation is so much better than destruction.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I really enjoyed that episode. My only nitpick would be that the immortality chip came out of nowhere. Have to assume that they initially meant to have The Doctors awareness of that technology in the suits being foreshadowed and him deciding to use it being a spur of the moment "...I suppose this time there's noting dangerous about just saving one person..." decision after remembering Pompeii.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
My assumption would be a scene involving a Maia using the chip was in the script (and maybe filmed) but cut for time/pacing.

Pacing's a major thing I'm enjoying this season for. Not a scene is being wasted.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I need to watch that again, because right now all I can think is 'Well that was a mess'.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

That was GREAT! Solid standalone plot, plenty of good quips, excellent Capaldi stuff, drama and fanwank and babytalk made me roll my eyes but it also made me smile so even it gets a thumbs up. Top shelf Doctor Who. Jamie Mathieson is easily my new favorite writer. I could see the Moff's fingerprints all over this one too-- partly in the fanwank, but more obviously (and enjoyably) in the aforementioned good quips.

It's probably the first ep this season to have really nailed the two distinct-yet-connected parts, judging by the cliffhanger alone. I'm genuinely excited for next week.

Couldn't get enough of the Doctor running forward in a panic to see if Clara was alright and awkwardly giving her a thumbs-up (and then hugging her anyway awwww)
And with that bit where she faced down the aliens Clara officially became my favorite companion. Love that she's just allowed to be cool and brave and clever without it backfiring in her face.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, that was great. I love how in general, when the companions in the rebooted series have not been hopless without the Doctor, but that was by far the best moment any of them had.

I also liked how the weird girl was not an outcast but actually beloved by the village. I'm curious to see where it's going with the whole immortality thing.

Funny I was just "hey isn't it funny that Capaldi was also the dad in Fires of Pompeii..." and that was a plot point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, that was great. I love how in general, when the companions in the rebooted series have not been hopless without the Doctor, but that was by far the best moment any of them had.

Yeah, even down to the Odin guy straight up saying Clara almost had him talking, which she was clearly better at than him. I like that they're showing that Clara's learning from the Doctor instead of just having him say it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I feel as though this season goes a lot better if the viewer knows that this year the season's comprised of 4 2-part episodes. Every other week it seems like most of the criticism comes from people stunned at the "To Be Continued"s at the end, and I honestly thought people heard/knew that there were going to be a lot of those this year.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

I feel as though this season goes a lot better if the viewer knows that this year the season's comprised of 4 2-part episodes. Every other week it seems like most of the criticism comes from people stunned at the "To Be Continued"s at the end, and I honestly thought people heard/knew that there were going to be a lot of those this year.

4? I'm fairly sure there's 5 2 parters, and only 2 one-shots. The 2 weeks after next is the Zygons, and the finale is clearly a double.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I wonder how much of a "two parter" this episode and next week's really is. The tone of the preview seems to suggest that it's a completely unrelated story that just happens to bring back one character from a previous story, that just so happened to be the most recent story.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I am thoroughly disgusted that there wasn't at least one black or asian Viking in this.

Also, remember when Tennant was afraid/wary of an immortal human.
Welcome Mrs Face of Boe.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

I wonder how much of a "two parter" this episode and next week's really is. The tone of the preview seems to suggest that it's a completely unrelated story that just happens to bring back one character from a previous story, that just so happened to be the most recent story.

See, I saw this entire story as setting up Ashildr's death and revival, because that's going to be the crucial thing.

The saving the village is almost rushed through because it's very much What the Doctor Usually Does- the monsters are basically a paper tiger anyway, they're a bunch of small-time cosmic bullies, and it's very meta how the Doctor trains the Norsemen not to be soliders (well, he tries and soon figures out that won't work), but to be like him- to fight back with cleverness and whimsy. That's the easy part for him.

When the Doctor first started having those Pompeii flashbacks and figuring out what he was supposed to do, I was kinda ready for the revival to be some kinda last minute bullshit that would be sweet but not that well thought out- like Evolution of the Daleks. Instead, the entire scene wasn't him being sad that Ashildr was dead and that he couldn't save her and that was "defeat", but rather him knowing he could save her but at the cost of making her immortal. That it was about making that decision.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

When the Doctor first started having those Pompeii flashbacks and figuring out what he was supposed to do, I was kinda ready for the revival to be some kinda last minute bullshit that would be sweet but not that well thought out- like Evolution of the Daleks. Instead, the entire scene wasn't him being sad that Ashildr was dead and that he couldn't save her and that was "defeat", but rather him knowing he could save her but at the cost of making her immortal. That it was about making that decision.

The episode is all about why the Doctor makes decisions, I really like that focus. It's strange to me that Clara wouldn't have worked this out by now though, it's not as if two regenerations of Doctor haven't been trying to get it through to her. But nice to bring Pompeii back into it. Horns are on Viking helmets because they're funny, not there to personally gently caress with people who read a book once (although that would be funnier). Also the Doctor is a telepath, why not use that to "speak baby" even if we smudge over the translation bits? Doctor Who has never made hard scifi sense anyway.

There were two great lines in this ep:

"Immortality isn't about living forever, but everybody else dying." Speaks volumes about the Doctor.

"What is a god but the cattle's name for farmer? What is heaven but the gilded door of the abattoir?" Ouch.

Clara's answer to that last one is nice and straightforward: "You're not a god, you're a thief, caught in the act." Iceburn!

Hope that level of greatness continues for part 2!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Girl Who Died gifs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Loved this. here we go, first episode I unreservedly love of the season. Under the Lake was pretty close, but this is all the way there. I really like how the Doctor's face was explained, not in a traditionally Moffat-y, mindfuck way, but in an emotionally resonant way that served the episode.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

In so many ways this could also be Arya Stark.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

This shot was goddamn fantastic.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

This shot was goddamn fantastic.

I love the range she goes through: Happiness, then when we see her face again she's sad, then she goes neutral. The last one hints that such a neutral face is a bad thing, because of the explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

happyhippy posted:

I am thoroughly disgusted that there wasn't at least one black or asian Viking in this.

Also, remember when Tennant was afraid/wary of an immortal human.
Welcome Mrs Face of Boe.

Jack is essentially a glitch in the Universe created by the TARDIS being used to do something it never should, a medical device is entirely different.

• Locked thread