Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yes.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

holy poo poo that owns

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

what the gently caress posted:

Sorry yeah that is all very true. Still, I was really surprised at how easy 8x10 was.

If you want some black glass I have heaps of it cut to 4x5 and 8x10 if you want to experiment with that. Just flick me a pm.

Cheers for the offer! I've got plenty of tin and perspex at the moment, I'll let you know.

I tried the basket-darkbox yesterday, some problems with the silver bath. I was using a tray rather than a dipper box, and the shots were almost solid silver no matter how little light I gave the plates. So I'm going to modify my 4x5 dipper box to fit in the basket, and give it another go today.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

:captainpop:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Holy poo poo.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dover by alkanphel, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Hollow Tree Road by alex gard, on Flickr

I've been having a lot of fun with the 210mm lens on 8x10. Although I'm lusting for something a little wider. Looking at 150mm lenses but they're way out of my budget at the moment.
It was really hot today, too, which made it really uncomfortable in my van/darkroom. Need to rig up some ventilation if I'm going to shoot these in summer. Also the heat presents it's own problems as it affects the development chemicals somewhat.

Collodion rated at ISO 2 w/ 16 secs development.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 18, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Here's another tintype from today, all done with the darkbox-basket. The silver bath is filthy, the fixer old, but the process worked after I diluted the developer down so that it wasn't completely fogging the plate. It was shot with a 8" (203mm) f/2.9 barrel lens I've got on a 4x5 plate.

And 6" silicon wafer cassettes are awesome for holding/drying 4x5 plates:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
That looks like a great way to transport the plates. I've been looking for a better alternative...I hate varnishing in the field and today resorted to putting my wash trays on the floor of my van and driving home with water sloshing around in them :downs: failing that I put my drying rack on the passenger seat and secure it with the seatbelt (don't judge me)
Been thinking of getting tupperware containers to do the same thing but with a lid so the water doesn't splash out of the trays, in one of those drawers/stack racks. Alternatively I could just glycerinise the plates.

How old is the fixer? And did you use factory hypo or make it yourself out of sodium thiosulfate? I found the shelf life of home-made fixer seems to be a lot better than Ilford's.

The stuff I make myself not only fixes an image heaps quicker ((10-20 seconds usually)depending on how strong i make it, I guess). I've had old ilford fixer ruin plates when I went to varnish them with all these little black spots appearing suddenly or overnight, no matter how much i wash them.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That looks like a great way to transport the plates. I've been looking for a better alternative...I hate varnishing in the field and today resorted to putting my wash trays on the floor of my van and driving home with water sloshing around in them :downs: failing that I put my drying rack on the passenger seat and secure it with the seatbelt (don't judge me)
Been thinking of getting tupperware containers to do the same thing but with a lid so the water doesn't splash out of the trays, in one of those drawers/stack racks. Alternatively I could just glycerinise the plates.

How old is the fixer? And did you use factory hypo or make it yourself out of sodium thiosulfate? I found the shelf life of home-made fixer seems to be a lot better than Ilford's.

The stuff I make myself not only fixes an image heaps quicker ((10-20 seconds usually)depending on how strong i make it, I guess). I've had old ilford fixer ruin plates when I went to varnish them with all these little black spots appearing suddenly or overnight, no matter how much i wash them.

The fix brought out those black spots right away, but I couldn't be bothered mixing up some sodium thiosulfate and just used some Ilford rapid fix had around the place already mixed. When I was doing wet plate last year I would mix fix and developer fresh and got much brighter and cleaner results, but I was sitting in the backyard just trying to get A result with the new dark-bag. In the end I was pretty happy to be getting images out of it, with a fair bit of frustration with the developer.

The wafer holders are good if you want to air dry, rather than heat dry, and make everything very transportable. I've read about using glycerine to keep the plates wet, but I've never actually seen anyone do it, so I'm not sure how well the glycerine will come off the plate with a second rinse.

I'll hopefully be able to shoot some plates in the field in the next few weeks, maybe up to the north of Melbourne.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Borut Peterlin glycerinises his simply by flowing beer over it. Then it just washes off with water. Glycerine is pretty cheap, anyway.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I do like Borut Peterlin, everything is TOPSHIT.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Nikor 4x5" daylight tank :getin:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bukit Batok by alkanphel, on Flickr

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:h:

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

this is sick

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

TheJeffers posted:

Nikor 4x5" daylight tank :getin:

How do you tighten the lid on this properly? My stainless 35mm tanks always leak dev/fix when I use them.

It's sexy though.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Pondex posted:

How do you tighten the lid on this properly? My stainless 35mm tanks always leak dev/fix when I use them.

It's sexy though.

You can barely see it in the picture, but there's a lip pressed into the rim of the tank that holds the lid in place quite securely. I can shake it to the point of almost throwing it and it still stays on tight. I haven't put liquid in it yet, but the lip should also double as a seal.

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 20, 2015

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Greeley by alex gard, on Flickr

My cousin, the rapper.
8x10 black glass ambrotype

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

My cousin, the rapper.

Those plates are coming out REALLY clean, good work man.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

My cousin, the rapper.

This is loving rad.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Cheers fellers. Shame about the light leaks down the bottom there. Must have a look at that.
Great day today.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

My cousin, the rapper.

Please continue doing this.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Was playing around in the studio with 4x5

Jocelyn by alkanphel, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Just picked up this bad boy :getin:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

120mm f/8 owns bones and covers 8x10 (barely)

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Apparently this Nikkor has a little more room for movement than the Schneider Super Angulon rival but I am excited.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Blew through Sheffield today on my way cross-state and made a plate of the crazy, super eccentric fellow who owns the Sheffield Emporium. Selling war memorabilia, records, books, junk, odds and ends etc. very very intelligent man and a wild sense of humour. He was very impressed more by the fact that I told him there was ether in the collodion of which i had to pry back my pour bottle from under his nose) and we ended up chatting about old photography which he is very keen on. He also showed me some old stereographs from the 60's in his stereograph viewer which was super awesome. I'd never seen them before.

Fudged up the development up the top there (didn't have enough in my pouring vessel) but it started raining so didn't get another shot and i was just passing through.

Always love the opportunity to use my Darlot 14" f/4 petzval which put this at 1ish second in heavy overcast light

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 25, 2015

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bukit Batok at dawn by alkanphel, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Sorry I'll try and refrain from posting my lovely iphone pics of these from now on.

The excitement gets the better of me.

mark by alex gard, on Flickr

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 26, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Blew through Sheffield today on my way cross-state and made a plate of the crazy, super eccentric fellow who owns the Sheffield Emporium. Selling war memorabilia, records, books, junk, odds and ends etc. very very intelligent man and a wild sense of humour. He was very impressed more by the fact that I told him there was ether in the collodion of which i had to pry back my pour bottle from under his nose) and we ended up chatting about old photography which he is very keen on. He also showed me some old stereographs from the 60's in his stereograph viewer which was super awesome. I'd never seen them before.

You can actually view stereographs without a viewer. Cross your eyes slightly and you'll see a double image of each side of the stereograph. Align the middle two images, then defocus your eye onto the virtual image that you've created.

Try (eg): https://www.flickr.com/photos/7726011@N07/10498935563/in/photostream/

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 27, 2015

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

You can actually view stereographs without a viewer. Cross your eyes slightly and you'll see a double image of each side of the stereograph. Align the middle two images, then defocus your eye onto the virtual image that you've created.

Whoa... like Magic Eye but so much better.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Doing this while drunk is extremely impossible

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah I can't cross my eyes that much unfortunately (fortunately?).

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

akadajet posted:

Yeah I can't cross my eyes that much unfortunately (fortunately?).

Sit further back from your screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

Sit further back from your screen.

Still can't. I remember a friend having some glasses that let you view them without crossing your eyes when I was young. They were pretty cool.

• Locked thread