Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

To be honest, if I were young and single I would probably do that for a year or two. The hours would be hell tho. Leaving at 5am getting home at 8pm.

Hellish hours maybe, but I love flying because of the downtime you get to read (or whatever) undisturbed. I'd rather fly for two hours than drive for one. Since you're just commuting, you don't even have to deal with a big suitcase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
you also get a free soda.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

FrozenVent posted:

you also get a free soda.

Or coffee! And since you're this ridiculous elite status, you can just swing by the airline lounge at either end of your flight for a shower and free food and booze.

e: Oh! Don't forget deducting the cost of your flights on your 1040. Plus all the free flights you get from miles. And who needs a 2BR anyway if they don't have kids? Save even more money by downsizing on the Vegas end.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 17, 2015

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

how about instead of having a house you just book a 2-leg redeye every night that begins and ends in SFO? sleep and shower in the airport lounge. its not like you have any belongings or friends or anything.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Glorgnole posted:

how about instead of having a house you just book a 2-leg redeye every night that begins and ends in SFO? sleep and shower in the airport lounge. its not like you have any belongings or friends or anything.

Airline lounges typically close between 7 and 9 PM.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
dont you get a lot of radiation from flying hundreds of times a year?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!

at the date posted:

Or coffee! And since you're this ridiculous elite status, you can just swing by the airline lounge at either end of your flight for a shower and free food and booze.

e: Oh! Don't forget deducting the cost of your flights on your 1040. Plus all the free flights you get from miles. And who needs a 2BR anyway if they don't have kids? Save even more money by downsizing on the Vegas end.

you're not supposed to deduct for a regular commute

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

at the date posted:

wat

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i dunno exactly what he meant, but airline lounges typically close between right before their last scheduled flight out in the evening and a couple hours before their first scheduled flight in the morning

if it's a really big global airport that's a hub for an airline it MIGHT have a 24 hour lounge but most arent

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

mishaq posted:

i dunno exactly what he meant, but airline lounges typically close between right before their last scheduled flight out in the evening and a couple hours before their first scheduled flight in the morning

if it's a really big global airport that's a hub for an airline it MIGHT have a 24 hour lounge but most arent

yeah but that's not a big deal if you're taking a redeye nightly instead of living in a place lol

delta's 3h28m redeye from sfo to msp departs 15 minutes after the sfo sky club closes (but that's okay, because you should have already boarded 15m before departure)

it gets to msp at 5:45am, but the big sky club there opens at 4:30am

which gives you… gently caress, four hours before the 9am to sfo that arrives at 11:33pm, which means you have just under twelve hours in the valley or ten hours in the city before you gotta go back and do all this over again

and it's $852, which is three times more than a night at the parc 55 union square (above powell bart and across market street from that shoe store where they filmed a scene in jackass 2) cost me every time i've stayed there (thanks hotwire dot com)

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

you folks worry too much about money, who cares. you're trading living in san francisco for vegas. is sfo really that bad that it's no better than vegas

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

just dont work or live in the bay area because its terrible and full of terrible people

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

mishaq posted:

just dont work or live in the bay area because its terrible and full of terrible people

Vegas is worse

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I live in miami and I find Bay Area people to be intolerably superficial and mercenary

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Vegas is worse

how do either stack up to Dallas?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

how do either stack up to Dallas?

i lived in the northern suburbs of dallas for several years

do not live in dallas

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

mishaq posted:

do not live in dallas

or north texas

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

when i was at o'hare i was in the aa lounge and i'm pretty sure that it was like 5am-10pm hours, and that's o'hare, so yeah they generally aren't useful for super late flights unfortunately

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mishaq posted:

i lived in the northern suburbs of dallas for several years

do not live in dallas

good life advice.

there's something soul crushing about texas suburban sprawl.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
miami ftw

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
even if you're going to live in texas, don't live in dallas because it's like 3 hours away from any other big city in texas

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the tokyo-narita aa lounge doesn't open until like 7 am.

side note: don't get stuck on an aa codeshare if you can help it. gently caress.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

the tokyo-narita aa lounge doesn't open until like 7 am.

side note: don't get stuck on an aa codeshare if you can help it. gently caress.

lol if you dont fly out of haneda just lol

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

computer parts posted:

even if you're going to live in texas, don't live in dallas because it's like 3 hours away from any other big city in texas

Dallas is near Fort Worth if that counts. If it doesn't, that describes every city in Texas except Austin-San Antonio. Dallas is closer to Memphis, Kansas City, and New Orleans than El Paso.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

why dont we get some japanese style capsule hotels goin in sf

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I'm not talking about gate seating, I'm talking about the "Admiral's Club" or "Sky Lounge" things you have to pay to get into unless you're flying first class or have some member status.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

nice humblebrag

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

why dont we get some japanese style capsule hotels goin in sf
They would ruin the views of the landed gentry

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mishaq posted:

lol if you dont fly out of haneda just lol

so many fewer options out of haneda. and the n.ex is pretty comfy and runs every 30min so w/e

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

nice humblebrag

for delta/skyteam if you have elite plus you get into lounges for free if you're on an international (Canada doesn't count, sorry) itinerary. that's only three transpacific flights so isn't that hard to get if you do business in Asia

I assume the other alliances are similar because skyteam is by far the worst

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i havent flown enough for any kind of program to bring any benefits yet so gently caress everything

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Snapchat A Titty posted:

i havent flown enough for any kind of program to bring any benefits yet so gently caress everything

the thing is, if you fly enough to have high status in any program, your life inherently sucks because you're spending an inordinate amount of time in airplanes and airports

getting/maintaining the status just becomes some goal to help you further your denial about your life sucking

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

at the date posted:

hello, i misspoke. i did not mean to suggest that one should sleep and shower in the airport lounge. what i meant to say was that you should sleep on the plane. use the plane as your home every night. thanks.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ArmZ posted:

you're not supposed to deduct for a regular commute

the irs will never imagine your daily loving jet flight is a commute. who would accept such a job?

you have to dig in the depths of yospos to find someone who would even hypothetically consider it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

at the date posted:

you won't get free flights or status anymore for mere miles

it's all about the dollars spent now. every airline has their own word for it. e.g. in delta it is "medallion qualifying miles"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mishaq posted:

the thing is, if you fly enough to have high status in any program, your life inherently sucks because you're spending an inordinate amount of time in airplanes and airports

getting/maintaining the status just becomes some goal to help you further your denial about your life sucking

that is true

flying is the loving worst. airports are mall-like bullshit and the seats are cramped and everything is boring times 10.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you won't get free flights or status anymore for mere miles

it's all about the dollars spent now. every airline has their own word for it. e.g. in delta it is "medallion qualifying miles"

i wish they adopted a "whichever earns more miles" model instead of switching from one to the other

because if you have to fork out $1000 for a last minute short haul 1 hour flight, it was pretty dumb that that earned the same amount of miles as paying $200 for the same flight booked in advance

whereas if i get a really good deal on a transpacific flight, itd be nice that spending all that time on the plane meant something

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pretty much every time ive fallen asleep on a plane, ive woken up in like 10 minutes and felt completely rested. loving 10 hrs left, kill me.

the one time it worked was when i was blackout drunk as i got on the plane. it probably sucked but i dont remember it, and im impressed that they even let me on.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Snapchat A Titty posted:

that is true

flying is the loving worst. airports are mall-like bullshit and the seats are cramped and everything is boring times 10.

i travel for work every week so i get to spend time i should be spending seeing my wife and kids on lovely airplanes and in courtyard marriotts

but im a super elite so 0.0000001% of the time i get upgraded to first if the other 100 elites on this flight dont get chosen before me

and when i check into my hotel sometimes the manager leaves me a note and a free bottle of water

totally worth it!!!!!! :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

i wish they adopted a "whichever earns more miles" model instead of switching from one to the other

because if you have to fork out $1000 for a last minute short haul 1 hour flight, it was pretty dumb that that earned the same amount of miles as paying $200 for the same flight booked in advance

whereas if i get a really good deal on a transpacific flight, itd be nice that spending all that time on the plane meant something

the whole point of the 'status' system is to reward people who spend lots of money

the airline would much rather you spent $1,000 for a 1 hour flight than spent 19 hours in coach on a $300 ticket that you scammed your way into

developing one of these behaviors into a habit will improve the airline's bottom line, the other will not

• Locked thread