Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

RatHat posted:

For example he wouldn't be able to do anything against Tsuyu since her abilities are passive, or tail-boy. I think those are the only ones in class A that have passive quirks? Possibly earphone jacks girl and invisible girl.
I imagine he could at least nullify the earphone jack sound bursts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Now that I think about it, I don't think Aizawa could nullify Mineta's powers. It might stop him from making more grapes, though.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
What if she's like a reverse Grue, strong and unseeable in the light, not so much in the darkness?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Sandman posted:

So, weird question: anyone know what the Japanese fans thought of the results of the US popularity poll?

As if JP readers would give the slightest poo poo about what American readers think.

If asked I bet the typical reply would be "Americans read this?"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wild theory time: hagakure is actually an invisible shoggoth, it's just that she dresses a roughly humanoid portion of herself and is very good at avoiding bumping into people with the rest of her mass

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Wonder if it's light refraction or an side-effect of a mental manipulation quirk. (Though that kinda effect on the camera is kinda weird to think about too). It's probably not that huge if it's just for a side character (however cool she be).

/edit eraserhead couldn't stop momo from 'creating' a donut to shed his bandages? Weird, wasn't the whole point of the dolls that they served as an 'alarm' when eraserhead stopped them from appearing?

Jintor fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 17, 2015

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jintor posted:

Wonder if it's light refraction or an side-effect of a mental manipulation quirk. (Though that kinda effect on the camera is kinda weird to think about too). It's probably not that huge if it's just for a side character (however cool she be).

/edit eraserhead couldn't stop momo from 'creating' a donut to shed his bandages? Weird, wasn't the whole point of the dolls that they served as an 'alarm' when eraserhead stopped them from appearing?

Two theories; He hit the max duration for his ability (because of his dry eye or blinking), or he let her use her power because he's coaching her right now and trying to help her overcome her low self esteem and self doubt.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Seems unlikely given he was monologuing about how he wasn't their teacher in this scenario, just an enemy

not entirely outside the realm of possibility though

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I was listened to last week's Shonen Jump Podcast and they talked a little about Invisible Girl and the question of whether she'd become visible or not if Aizawa turned off her Quirk.

It's hard to say for sure. It doesn't work on quirks that change your physical body, but we haven't seen Hagakure turn her invisibility off so I don't know if cancellation would work or not. If she does have the power to turn it off, is she just being a dick and staying invisible 24/7 to mess with people?

Maybe she can turn it off, but she just chooses not to because it gives her an excuse to run around butt-naked, because I mean, who wouldn't take the opportunity to be all like "HaHA I'm naked and nobody can see!!"

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Brought To You By posted:

Two theories; He hit the max duration for his ability (because of his dry eye or blinking), or he let her use her power because he's coaching her right now and trying to help her overcome her low self esteem and self doubt.

More likely: he was still canceling out Todoroki's Quirk in case he tried to escape.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I was listened to last week's Shonen Jump Podcast and they talked a little about Invisible Girl and the question of whether she'd become visible or not if Aizawa turned off her Quirk.

It's hard to say for sure. It doesn't work on quirks that change your physical body, but we haven't seen Hagakure turn her invisibility off so I don't know if cancellation would work or not. If she does have the power to turn it off, is she just being a dick and staying invisible 24/7 to mess with people? And if it's not toggle on/off-able, what's the catch? "You're invisible forever now" is kind of a lovely quirk.

With her being invisible, can he cancel her out either way? Since he does have to be looking at someone to cancel their quirk he probably does need to see what it is he's cancelling.

Also, if he could would that be a crime since she's running around naked?

He also might have stopped canceling her power because he thought her indecision and lack of confidence would keep her from escaping. Afterwards he does have a surprise bubble and does comment on the direction she's running.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vengarr posted:

More likely: he was still canceling out Todoroki's Quirk in case he tried to escape.

He has to be looking at someone to cancel them. That's the point of his goggles, to obscure who exactly he's looking at and catch the enemies by surprise.

As for why he didn't stop her from creating the thing, I'm not entirely sure. I have some theories but I suspect we'll get an answer soon really.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Inflammatory posted:

weird tentacle guy is also a possibility.

I think Shouji's limbs would be locked into whatever configuration he had them in (hands, eyes, mouth), but he would still be huge and outrageously strong.

Vengarr posted:

I thought she just had the flash bangs inside the dolls all along, she just didn't overcome her hesitancy about her own decision-making until the end there.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 17, 2015

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Gyges posted:

With her being invisible, can he cancel her out either way? Since he does have to be looking at someone to cancel their quirk he probably does need to see what it is he's cancelling.

Also, if he could would that be a crime since she's running around naked?
Well, I imagine he'd have to cancel it in class while she's dressed if Horikoshi ever wanted to reveal her design.

The first point is an obvious one that I never thought of though, drat.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Roland Jones posted:

He has to be looking at someone to cancel them. That's the point of his goggles, to obscure who exactly he's looking at and catch the enemies by surprise.

As for why he didn't stop her from creating the thing, I'm not entirely sure. I have some theories but I suspect we'll get an answer soon really.

I thought his quirk works like this: When he opens his eyes after blinking, anyone he is looking at can have their quirks erased. The next time he blinks, the effect ends.

The goggles make it ambiguous who he has looked at and when he has blinked.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Vengarr posted:

I thought his quirk works like this: When he opens his eyes after blinking, anyone he is looking at can have their quirks erased. The next time he blinks, the effect ends.

The goggles make it ambiguous who he has looked at and when he has blinked.

No he has to stare at them that's why his hair getting in the way was made a big deal of in his last fight. And I'm pretty sure invisible girl can't turn off her quirk.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Yeah invisible girl is probably just always invisible. But there is likely something else going on with her that makes her something more than just a person you cannot see.

Well at least I hope so, because invisibility alone is a) boring and b) really unimaginative and on the other hand it would be a great way to hide massive physical changes or disguise a projection as a "real person".

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Horikoshi already confirmed in her character bio that there's more to her quirk than just invisibility but didn't explain any further.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

I'm sure we'll find out next week why cancel didn't work. My theory is she had already started shedding her skin to make the object before he activated his quirk... maybe. Seems like he only stops the init, not the actual follow-through... maybe?

I do think the dolls were always full of flashbangs as well. Otherwise why would she make the Matroyshka dolls in the first place? (Their design is really cool)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Not sure about that. Todoroki was secured the moment he was suspended 30 feet in the air and had his landing made unsafe.

When All Might announced his presence to Deku's group by using his air punch I thought that was in character. But Aizawa also announced himself before striking even though neither Todoroki or Momo thought to look up when they knew he was nearby. For "Villains" that's really generous, and if Aizawa was serious I don't think he would have had a problem taking down both an unconfident Momo and a startled Todoroki. This exam is just as much an assessment of Class A as it is a teaching moment. Several pairs are made up of students that have a specific problems (Cooperation, Great practical skill but no technical skill, inability to control output, etc)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Actually, her quirk is becoming visible.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

HenryEx posted:

Actually, her quirk is becoming visible.

That could work in a fight as a distraction...

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Next MHA volume hits in November. I've pre-ordered it so I guess we'll see what VIZ has to say about invisibility.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jintor posted:

I'm sure we'll find out next week why cancel didn't work. My theory is she had already started shedding her skin to make the object before he activated his quirk... maybe. Seems like he only stops the init, not the actual follow-through... maybe?

I do think the dolls were always full of flashbangs as well. Otherwise why would she make the Matroyshka dolls in the first place? (Their design is really cool)

I think it was just he can't cancel stuff she has already created like the dolls which had flashbangs in them. He canceled her quirk but as a result of the flash bangs it was turned off again. Because he can't cancel them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Not sure about that. Todoroki was secured the moment he was suspended 30 feet in the air and had his landing made unsafe.

has todoroki never seen a slide before

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't think he has enough control yet to do specific shapes like that. Why he can't just make a little ice mountain and then climb down it is questionable though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Todoroki creates and controls fire and ice as an extension of himself, but not remotely. He can't just create a sheet or slide of ice on the ground if he's not touching it.

If he tried to use ice he'd freeze himself and the scarf in place. If he tried to use fire, he'd burn the scarf and fall onto the caltrops. If he tried to shield himself in ice after he started falling he'd probably crack a few bones on the landing.

Aizawa got him cold.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

And if it's not toggle on/off-able, what's the catch? "You're invisible forever now" is kind of a lovely quirk.

I know quirks manifest in youth in at least some cases given that Deku was still hoping for one as a kid, but it's funny to imagine an invisible baby being born all the same.

"CONGRATULATIONS!...I think. It's a...hmmm, well it's definitely a baby. We'll leave you figure out the sex later".
"I really hope I'm holding it the right way up. I really hope I'm still holding it at all".

It'd be pretty horrible for the new parents too, since it's kind of impossible to show off your new baby proudly when it's just a swaddled bundled of nothing in photos or your pram or whatever.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Fanfic plot: she's the invisible baby from Jojo part 4.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

chaos rhames posted:

Fanfic plot: she's the invisible baby from Jojo part 4.

Stands no longer 'stand' beside you?
:smith:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Zeruel posted:

there's a guy whose stand is spaghetti

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Zeruel posted:

I'm not even sure it was a stand, just an invisible baby.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Is Hagakure transparent to all wavelengths of light or just the ones in the human visible range? It must be the visible spectrum and at least infrared as well, since nobody has ever been depicted holding up an infrared camera to see her.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The only indication of how effective Hagekure's invisibility is was during the USJ attack, where the dozens of mooks that attacked Todoroki along with Todoroki himself couldn't detect her presence.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

DrSunshine posted:

Is Hagakure transparent to all wavelengths of light or just the ones in the human visible range? It must be the visible spectrum and at least infrared as well, since nobody has ever been depicted holding up an infrared camera to see her.

Well, who would even know to use that in most circumstances? When the villains attacked they knew nothing of the students' abilities in general, and during the sports tournament you're not likely to see the camera system overhauled just to allow them to see one student out of the crowd of hundreds. And for the other students wanting to say, converse with her, that'd be kind of expensive to get their hands on just to converse with one student who typically makes her presence known by wearing clothes anyway.

Though since you've brought it up, I kinda want to see that used in a later story arc when she has to sneak past an enemy, or into some base.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Now I'm kind of curious about her relation to her invisibility power. Does she have control over it? If not, does she see it as a curse? Does she have a strong sense of justice underneath her bubbly personality, or does she feel she can use her invisibility however she pleases (obviously as long as she doesn't break laws).

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Twiddy posted:

Now I'm kind of curious about her relation to her invisibility power. Does she have control over it? If not, does she see it as a curse? Does she have a strong sense of justice underneath her bubbly personality, or does she feel she can use her invisibility however she pleases (obviously as long as she doesn't break laws).

Heck, has she maybe broken the law whilst using it? At one level I can understand there's difficulty in pick pocketing when having any pockets will defeat the point, but you could sure as hell pull some shady stuff with it.

Inversely, similar to mind control guy, she could easily have been blamed for a sweep of problems that had nothing to do with her, just because invisibility means she could do it if she wanted to.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Astro Nut posted:

Inversely, similar to mind control guy, she could easily have been blamed for a sweep of problems that had nothing to do with her, just because invisibility means she could do it if she wanted to.
I love that you bring up mind control guy because they're rather similar in a way. They both have powers which tend to be sought by clever, sly people or those who wish to abuse less flashy powers. When people imagine how to use their abilities, it tends to end up nefarious and criminal. Yet she's also in the hero academy, and we already know how interesting he turned out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Astro Nut posted:

Heck, has she maybe broken the law whilst using it? At one level I can understand there's difficulty in pick pocketing when having any pockets will defeat the point, but you could sure as hell pull some shady stuff with it.

She frequently flaunts the laws of a moral and upright society. Running around naked and free like it has no consequence just because she's invisible. That makes it worse because the poor children's impressionable and filthy imaginations are presented with no limits. A satanic succubus come to corrupt the children, I say.

I don't know if I want her to have an rear end in a top hat boyfriend and force field powers or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

She frequently flaunts the laws of a moral and upright society. Running around naked and free like it has no consequence just because she's invisible. That makes it worse because the poor children's impressionable and filthy imaginations are presented with no limits. A satanic succubus come to corrupt the children, I say.

I don't know if I want her to have an rear end in a top hat boyfriend and force field powers or not.

Wishing Reed Richards on anyone is an absolutely heinous thing and you are a terrible person for even entertaining the notion.