Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Montasque posted:

Super right-wing blog, and Freep favorite THE AMERICAN THINKER has come on side of Trump in regards to his 9/11 comments:

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/10/trump_blames_bush_for_911_and_hes_right_in_some_ways.html

Seeing the right actually deal with the 9/11 legacy is something to behold.

I was like, "Huh, is this really The American Thinker?" for most of it until I got to the end.

quote:

After 9/11 George W. let Muslims into the country like never before, some of whom perpetrated terrible attacks. Have you ever heard of the Boston Marathon bombers? George W. Bush let these fine Muslims into the country in 2002, the year after 9/11. If he had stopped Muslim immigration, all the people killed and maimed in Boston would be alive and well right now.

George Bush didn't keep us safe because he didn't ban Muslims from the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
"Satan turns down House Speaker position"

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.

Patter Song posted:

It's looking more and more likely that Paul Ryan will just...not do it. We could be facing a situation where, if no one can win, Boehner will be not allowed to resign and forced to keep on being Speaker.

Part of me wants that just to see how sad and drunk Boehner is by January 2017. He thought he was out and is facing a 15 month extension in politics' worst job.

I don't see why Boehner would have to continue on? If he resigns, that's that. I don't think they can veto a resignation, or force him into the position, can they?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Boehner should enter the race and collect the establishment vote.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
I want to have a chat about "Conventional Wisdom" in regards to this GOP primary.

Here are some pearls of Conventional Wisdom past:

1. Polls this far out don't matter as no one is paying attention.
2. Ad buys are powerful at shaping narrative.
3. The Republicans never attack their own. "Reagan's law"
4. Although they may grumble, Republicans falls lockstep inline with the establishment.
5. The Candidate with the most establishment support will be the nominee.

Do these conventions hold up? IS THIS TIME DIFFERENT?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The GOP can have a lot of influence holding majorities in Congress but they can't really drive the agenda without the White House, and especially not with the spite driven, Tea Party dominated current GOP, they can't govern at all without the White House, they can't even pass any significant legislation.

As far as economic policy they can keep things close to the status quo just by obstructing. But they basically have no ability to drive foreign policy.

There's a pretty huge difference between what the GOP has been doing with House and now Senate majority and what they could do with the White House.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

paranoid randroid posted:

we need another bush, this ones busted. someone find marvin, he should be facedown in some cocaine somewhere.

"Jeb! This is your cousin, Marvin! ... MARVIN BUSH! You know that new sound you were looking for?"

*holds outstretched telephone towards Trump Wrestlemania appearance*

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They're going to have to summon a friendly Outsider, maybe a Bearded Devil to appeal to the hipster crowd.

Can they do this? I've seen people throw out Romney and Gingrich. Does the Speaker not need to be a Representative?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Young Orc

Valentin posted:

AP confirms that yeah, there are donors and lots of Kentucky GOPers who think Rand should drop out of the presidential race and focus on his Senate seat.

Curious if these are genuine concerns over the guy's Senate seat, or if this is just a graceful way of nudging him out of the race.

e: Also curious if this recent concern over Rand's seat is at all related to the fact that recent reports say the Governor's race is actually looking a little bad for the GOP; anyone more familiar with KY politics want to speculate?

Some show on NPR was talking about Rand running for both Senate and President and how he had to change the state's primary system to a caucus so he could legally run. I remember D&D discussing that last year, but I don't remember hearing that his campaign agreed to reimburse the state for half a million to cover the costs associated with changing the format.

Perhaps that's why he's being pushed to drop out, they're worried that this whole ordeal will be a huge waste of time and money for Kentucky.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Full Battle Rattle posted:

"Satan turns down House Speaker position"

Naturally, he's gotta coach the team against the Colts tomorrow evening. The season's just getting started.

(Go Patriots!)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Montasque posted:

no, it's not. the polls still don't matter except in the sense that the media uses polls to drive a horse race narrative (which demands continual polling, natch). republicans, by and large, aren't attacking each other except for trump and he's a sideshow. no one's sewn up establishment support, but establishment support is still critical for GOTV and fundraising. republicans, by and large, fall into lockstep behind a nominee when there's a clear frontrunner which hasn't emerged yet. trump isn't a frontrunner, he's a sideshow.

the republican party isn't run by the idiots baying for the blood of mexicans - they're just the clueless rubes that get pulled along for the ride every 4 years. we used to call them the 'moral majority', back when people still gave a poo poo about what evangelical christians thought. they don't represent a majority of the country, and they don't even represent a majority of the party. they're just the loudest idiots on the short bus of primary politics.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
also ky-gov goes dem more often than not, there's a lot of southern dems who loving hate obama down there 'cuz he's black so it's gone blood-red in presidential politics. they love them some clintons though - killary could theoretically put KY in play but it's a hell of a long shot (and if KY is in play for the dems then whoever's playing this turn of sacrificial republican presidential candidate is having a very bad time)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gregoriev posted:

I don't see why Boehner would have to continue on? If he resigns, that's that. I don't think they can veto a resignation, or force him into the position, can they?

There's really no precedent for it, but there has to be a Speaker or Congress can't do business. There's some old rule that says if there's no Speaker of the House, the King (or Queen) of England can appoint one, and nobody wants that to happen. But that might be the final and best option.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Of course polls matter, Scott Walker would still be in the race if he didn't poll at 0% and was actually able to raise non super pac money and Jeb wouldn't be throwing away millions of dollars on ad buys if he could poll higher than 4th place. If trump wasn't the front runner his comments about bush and 9/11 wouldn't get any attention. Hell the 9/11 poo poo wouldn't have even been brought up if trump wasn't a front runner at a debate.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Gregoriev posted:

He can resign from the House, but if there isn't a new Speaker elected, the incumbent Speaker remains Speaker...and the Speaker doesn't have to be a member of the House.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

sullat posted:

There's really no precedent for it, but there has to be a Speaker or Congress can't do business. There's some old rule that says if there's no Speaker of the House, the King (or Queen) of England can appoint one, and nobody wants that to happen. But that might be the final and best option.

Really want this to happen. First corgi speaker of the house would be glorious.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

UrbicaMortis posted:

Really want this to happen. First corgi speaker of the house would be glorious.

Ah, yes, the never-invoked "political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved, unless the states have trouble appointing the next Speaker of the House" clause

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Montasque posted:

I want to have a chat about "Conventional Wisdom" in regards to this GOP primary.

Here are some pearls of Conventional Wisdom past:

1. Polls this far out don't matter as no one is paying attention.
2. Ad buys are powerful at shaping narrative.
3. The Republicans never attack their own. "Reagan's law"
4. Although they may grumble, Republicans falls lockstep inline with the establishment.
5. The Candidate with the most establishment support will be the nominee.

We can say for sure that #3 is dead dead dead, and it's not just Trump who's violating it. Fiorina's entire pitch is that she's the meanest person in the room and half the candidates have said some variation of "No more Clintons or Bushes" as a way of taking a shot at Jeb!

#2 should be interesting to test, but we won't know until we get closer in. The problem is that (as advertisers in non-political fields would happily attest to their political counterparts) more and more people of all ages don't watch ads. Period. The ads that are relevant are the ones that end up being so outlandish or newsworthy that they are played again and again on the late night shows and the news shows to be discussed, because those are the ads people will actually see. You don't get political ads on Netflix, you don't get political ads if you're just DVRing your favorite shows to binge later, you don't get political ads if you're watching clips of Stephen Colbert the following morning on Youtube. Some "I have faith in American optimism and its ability to face the problems it has with conservative solutions that worked when I was governor of Florida. I'm Jeb! Bush and I approve this message" kind of spot that is basically all the people of IA and NH will see if they actually watch live television is just white noise. Some novel, bombastic, or newsworthy ad, especially a negative ad, that gets discussed on the news shows etc., on the other hand, could be very powerful.

#4 is probably true for the general, in that Rubio or Jeb! won't spark a third party challenge or whatever. For the primaries? I think it ties to #5. We will see, but Jeb! Bush is a clusterfuck of a candidate and Marco Rubio is a blank slate at the moment and we haven't seen how he performs under serious fire conditions yet.

#1? If polls didn't matter, Scott Walker wouldn't have dropped out and Jeb Bush wouldn't be doing massive payroll cuts and flying coach.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

no, it's not. the polls still don't matter except in the sense that the media uses polls to drive a horse race narrative (which demands continual polling, natch). republicans, by and large, aren't attacking each other except for trump and he's a sideshow. no one's sewn up establishment support, but establishment support is still critical for GOTV and fundraising. republicans, by and large, fall into lockstep behind a nominee when there's a clear frontrunner which hasn't emerged yet. trump isn't a frontrunner, he's a sideshow.

the republican party isn't run by the idiots baying for the blood of mexicans - they're just the clueless rubes that get pulled along for the ride every 4 years. we used to call them the 'moral majority', back when people still gave a poo poo about what evangelical christians thought. they don't represent a majority of the country, and they don't even represent a majority of the party. they're just the loudest idiots on the short bus of primary politics.

In regards to polls - Scott Walker dumped out, and the idea that "no one is watching" is absolutely false as 25/24 million people watched both GOP debates. Trump has put a bright and ugly spotlight on things, everyone is watching, hence Jeb's miserable poll numbers and dumpster level favorables.

As far as falling lockstep in support with the establishment look at what Ted Cruz and the Freedom caucus is doing in the house. The short bus is pissed off and trying to drive the entire GOP off a cliff.

I agree that the establishment is important, and the candidate who captures their support will be the nominee, but until then we are in for a complete gong show that is challenging convention.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

Ah, yes, the never-invoked "political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved, unless the states have trouble appointing the next Speaker of the House" clause

It's part of the common law, which was adopted by the US.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Nessus posted:

While we say there is always more and it's always worse, there has to be an actual upper bound on how many furious Republicans can vote. You don't get bonus votes from frothing on the e-voting machine screen, as far as I can recall, and the people who are Real Mad At The Clintons seem like an eroding segment of the population. This is not to say that they probably can't get a good performance out in '18, but this isn't a long term coalition.

Right now, the Right-Wing Media hates Obama's guts but the MainStream Media is neutral/positive on him. The thing with Hillary is that both the RWM and the MSM hate her. Like the NYT will never pass up a shot at Clinton. Things could get bad.

Patter Song posted:

He can resign from the House, but if there isn't a new Speaker elected, the incumbent Speaker remains Speaker...and the Speaker doesn't have to be a member of the House.

For serious? This is amazing. I just assumed he didn't want to totally screw the country so he was sticking around just in case we need a speaker for like debt limit stuff. I hadn't imagined he might be genuinely for real stuck with the job.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

sullat posted:

But just because America uses common law, like most of the countries on Earth, it's absurd to suggest that Queen Elizabeth II has any de facto power in the United States.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Chamale posted:

But just because America uses common law, like most of the countries on Earth, it's absurd to suggest that Queen Elizabeth II has any de facto power in the United States.

Yes, I imagine if that rule still has any effect it would be interpreted as giving the power to select a speaker to the President, since he/she holds the corresponding position to H.R.H. QEII as Head of State.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The establishment wields very little power within the GOP at this point. They made several deals with the devil to try to beat Obama and none of it worked, and the deals are all coming due at once. Donald Trump, playing the part of Lucifer, has come to show them how he can use all of their fondest wishes to destroy them utterly.

Montasque posted:

I agree that the establishment is important, and the candidate who captures their support will be the nominee, but until then we are in for a complete gong show that is challenging convention.

The harder the establishment tries to push their candidates the more pushback there is. Jeb is a great illustrator of that. He sucks, everyone knows, and the harder they try to push him the more it reminds people of all the other people saying that he sucks.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

sullat posted:

She knows how to pick 'em

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's an odd photoshop of a corgi.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Constant Hamprince posted:

Yes, I imagine if that rule still has any effect it would be interpreted as giving the power to select a speaker to the President, since he/she holds the corresponding position to H.R.H. QEII as Head of State.

By my understanding, and I'm not a lawyer or legal scholar, the common law applies to issues of civil and criminal law, not the procedures of the highest level of federal government. The term we're all looking for is "Constitutional Crisis," and it would be interesting to see the first one in over a hundred years occur during the presidential administration of well-known Constitutional Law professor Barack Obama.

sullat posted:

Once again, I know nothing about the law, but the common law is the precedent that gets used when the law is unclear we can't find precedent anywhere else. I'm pretty sure that the existing precedent of Washington v. Hanover, 1776 would apply instead.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 18, 2015

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The last time they couldn't decide on a speaker, they just temporarily made it so the winner only needed a plurality instead of an absolute majority. I imagine they'd do the same thing this time.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

The last time they couldn't decide on a speaker, they just temporarily made it so the winner only needed a plurality instead of an absolute majority. I imagine they'd do the same thing this time.

What if the house manages to bungle that by having the largest shares be equal, though some strange combination of maliciousness and incompetence?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

NewMars posted:

What if the house manages to bungle that by having the largest shares be equal, though some strange combination of maliciousness and incompetence?

Then Nancy Pelosi becomes speaker.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The harder the establishment tries to push their candidates the more pushback there is. Jeb is a great illustrator of that. He sucks, everyone knows, and the harder they try to push him the more it reminds people of all the other people saying that he sucks.

Jeb still has money/the support of powerful figures from state to state/and the Bush name(for what that's worth)

He's down but not out, he can still turn it around maybe... But yeah, at this point I'd put my money on Rubio getting the nom.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Explain it to me, because I'm clueless about politics—why is it that Jeb is down and potentially out soon because of his polls but the guy most favoured to get the nomination in his stead is not the guy who's been consistently winning the polls? I do not get why so many people are bending over backwards and tripping over themselves to come up with reasons to denigrate Trump's performance and chances. Is there any substance to that?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nietzschean posted:

Explain it to me, because I'm clueless about politics—why is it that Jeb is down and potentially out soon because of his polls but the guy most favoured to get the nomination in his stead is not the guy who's been consistently winning the polls? I do not get why so many people are bending over backwards and tripping over themselves to come up with reasons to denigrate Trump's performance and chances. Is there any substance to that?

Polls fluctuate wildly in December and January of presidential election years and the establishment has more say in picking the nominee than you think.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, the way bad polls can have an effect on a candidate right now is it's an indicator of their future viability. Things like the big Bush ad-buy, for example, were supposed to prove that even if his numbers were low now he had the means to recover that ground when it starts to matter - it failed, so the fear is that he won't be able to make up that ground ever.

These indicators also act as part of the "invisible primary" (that's gotten pretty visible) the establishment holds to decide who they'll throw the weight of their support behind. It's costly to throw money and endorsements at someone too early and have to shift gears to someone else when it turns out the voting public has no appetite for them. Signs of weakness like these are what killed Walker's campaign, since the money problem would've been fixable if he'd put in a promising performance so far, and they're also why people are starting to desert Bush's camp for Rubio's.

Trump is beholden to no one for money or media attention and seems to crave enemies over endorsements, so he's facing an entirely different kind of situation where he doesn't have to worry about courting important establishment supporters. His biggest danger would be burning out before the votes get counted, either the public gets outrage fatigue and loses interest in the Latest Crazy Trump Stunt or he finally finds some line to cross that get his supporters to dump him. If the primaries started tomorrow he'd be in a strong position but keeping up his numbers for months could be challenging since his narrative probably can't survive a slump.

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, it's only August September soon to be November, this particular justification is much more accurate than the previous ones.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Thing is, though, most politicians are avoiding weighing in on this race like the plague. If you go to 538's endorsement tracker here: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-endorsement-primary/

Notice that the Democratic side is this endless list of names of all sorts of Democratic officeholders that is far longer than the GOP list, and nearly all are for Clinton. That's a pretty powerful sign, indeed.

The longest list on the GOP side is Jeb!'s, but it's vastly inflated by the 11 Florida Congressmen on it. (One Florida Congressman is with Rubio, along with Rubio himself, Florida's sitting senator) Once you get beyond the home staters, even Jeb's list looks shockingly sparse. While there are three Senators, one is Susan Collins, the least conservative Republican in either house of Congress and someone whose endorsement is probably a net negative outside of Maine in tarring Jeb as a RINO, and another is Orrin Hatch, a powerful figure indeed but someone who was elected to the Senate in the Carter Administration and is more of a relic in the GOP than anything else.

It says something that Rubio's been in the Senate since 2010 and doesn't have a single one of his fellow Senators' endorsements. If "The Party Decides" the Party seems pretty damned indecisive.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
endorsements by sitting members of national government are meaningless in the republican primary because they don't get any votes at the convention.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Wanamingo posted:

I genuinely can't tell whether or not you're joking.

Montasque posted:

Jeb still has money/the support of powerful figures from state to state/and the Bush name(for what that's worth)

He's down but not out, he can still turn it around maybe... But yeah, at this point I'd put my money on Rubio getting the nom.

I suppose he could have his dad literally murder Trump in a worst case scenario. Trump strikes me as the kind of guy who talks big but could still lose a life-or-death fight with a well-trained but frail 91-year-old.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wanamingo posted:

This would be the funniest possible outcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Deep Hurting posted:

I genuinely can't tell whether or not you're joking.

I suppose he could have his dad literally murder Trump in a worst case scenario. Trump strikes me as the kind of guy who talks big but could still lose a life-or-death fight with a well-trained but frail 91-year-old.

Trump kicked Vince "The Genetic Jackhammer" McMahon's rear end at Wrestlemania, buddy.

• Locked thread