Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Vorpal Cat posted:

The better question is, if they wanted the protagonist to be constantly 10 years old and have to consistently relearn basic mechanics like type match ups, why didn't they just do what the games themselves do and get a new protagonist every time they jump to a new region? That would give them an actual reason to have to learn type match ups and show off the new Pokemon instead of literally having half a dozen fully evolved starters the protagonist could steamroll people with at any time if he stopped being a moron for 12 seconds. It would also fix the awkward "why is this kid still 10 years old after adventuring for 10 years" problem.

I'm pretty sure the person who designed the literal bag of trash Pokemon have more creativity then the writers for the anime. Heck the people who draw fan art, of garbage Pokemon as generic anime girls are still probably more creative then the writers for the anime.

I love how you managed to keep this on topic at the end.

The whole Ash thing is weird because even the most merchandised of childrens franchises don't keep the same main character for years. (Especially since the audience is constantly rotating so there's the perfect excuse for reboots.) I can't think of any that does the same thing. :shrug:

mycot has a new favorite as of 06:21 on Oct 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

So is it intending to depict two people in some weird latex fetish cosplay pantomime horse or was it supposed to actually look like a hybrid centaur pokemon?

Sometimes we don't need to know the answers to things. I feel like this is one of those times.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

mycot posted:

The whole Ash thing is weird because even the most merchandised of childrens franchises don't keep the same main character for years. (Especially since the audience is constantly rotating so there's the perfect excuse for reboots.) I can't think of any that does the same thing. :shrug:

I think the issue is Pikachu. He's worth his weight in diamonds, but they can't realistically get rid of Ash without losing him.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Kavak posted:

I think the issue is Pikachu. He's worth his weight in diamonds, but they can't realistically get rid of Ash without losing him.

Just give every protag a different pikachu. Heck, make them all slightly different looking, so you can sell various small variations.

mr meowzers
Sep 18, 2014

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Just give every protag a different pikachu. Heck, make them all slightly different looking, so you can sell various small variations.

Tiny variations means infinitesimally different action figures. Cheap to produce in its varieties, and yet every autismal nerd will try to collect all the varieties. Brilliant. Call Nintendo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

You could make a good horror game just by repurposing fetish art like this.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, the message about killing pixels in a video game was also dumb. Especially considering that the pacifist route is easier and the player is encouraged not to kill things from the very start. People only kill stuff in Undertale because they know the game 'rewards' you with more content for that, but the creator, who's put that content in there, tries to shame players for getting it.

You're supposed to feel bad for doing bad things, who would have figured? I suppose every game can't be like Fallout 3 where you're forced to be the hero regardless if you're a poo poo stain or not.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I never frowned so hard in my life. I'm glad I can still feel things. :unsmith:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Careful staring into the abyss when searching for things like that, all.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Google the artist's name.
That's about the most normal thing he's drawn.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Kavak posted:

Ash's Pikachu is loving useless. It has been with him for 14 years, would probably be like level 100 by now if game mechanics applied to the anime, can have moves that no other Pikachu can, and yet apparently Ash has never won a single championship with him. Another Pikachu would be just as cute and marketable.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Say Nothing posted:

Google the artist's name.
That's about the most normal thing he's drawn.

I'm glad I saw a blue wolf/kangaroo hybrid with 3 tentacle dicks who looks really uncomfortable while he is making GBS threads colorful ostrich eggs

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

mr meowzers posted:

Tiny variations means infinitesimally different action figures. Cheap to produce in its varieties, and yet every autismal nerd will try to collect all the varieties. Brilliant. Call Nintendo.
They already do that.
Behold, Intern(SalaryMan) Pikachu:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Baller Time posted:

I'm glad I saw a blue wolf/kangaroo hybrid with 3 tentacle dicks who looks really uncomfortable while he is making GBS threads colorful ostrich eggs

You have only yourself to blame

And the artist, I guess

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Colon Semicolon posted:

You're supposed to feel bad for doing bad things, who would have figured? I suppose every game can't be like Fallout 3 where you're forced to be the hero regardless if you're a poo poo stain or not.

Well, I guess if we compare the only two games in existence that are Undertale and Fallout 3, then Undertale does have a more coherent narrative. If only there were some other games that manage to avoid issues of both games... But sadly we're stuck with these two.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

I'm glad this guy exists, he makes for good ammo.
"Butterfry"

HGH has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Oct 17, 2015

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I agree that episode of Micky Mouse where he's facing slapstick menace from 2 chipmunks is a v. mature plot.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Moon Monster posted:

I agree that episode of Micky Mouse where he's facing slapstick menace from 2 chipmunks is a v. mature plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7baCckh-XE

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I don't know if she ate him, or if nega-tails is piloting a Toriel-shaped biological mecha. Either way, it's terrible.

mr meowzers posted:

They did this in X/Y as a reward for the contest system. IIRC, each outfit had slightly different stat growth and one move that Pikachu couldn't learn normally.

Internet Kraken posted:

Which, in turn, causes more fetish art of the game about fetish art.

Isn't this basically 'Monster Girl Quest' in a nutshell?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HGH posted:

"Butterfry"

I love when nerds fail to realize that they inhabit a purely periphery demographic of the things they like.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Paladinus posted:

Well, I guess if we compare the only two games in existence that are Undertale and Fallout 3, then Undertale does have a more coherent narrative. If only there were some other games that manage to avoid issues of both games... But sadly we're stuck with these two.

Alot of these freeform RPGs do that. there's not many where you are an actual badguy if you do bad things. New Vegas kinda gets it right, but there's very little reward for being a poo poo stain there, either. (Suprisingly few people actually WANT to play those routes if they're ever an option.)

Diabetes Forecast has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Oct 17, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Colon Semicolon posted:

Alot of these freeform RPGs do that. there's not many where you are an actual badguy if you do bad things. New Vegas kinda gets it right, but there's very little reward for being a poo poo stain there, either. (Suprisingly few people actually WANT to play those routes if they're ever an option.)

This is true in real life, though. Most people wouldn't knowingly do harmful things to others if there wasn't a payoff involved. Most games, New Vegas included, give you an artificial abundance of resources and many more good/neutral choices to pick from. They love to hype up MORAL CHOICES but it's not a very hard choice most of the time. If you feel like being evil, be evil, feel good, be good.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There are plenty of games that let you be an evil bastard. Its just that usually you end up doing most of the same stuff as in a good guy route since developers are terrified of the idea of making content that's unique to the choices you make. Which is why moral choices barely ever matter outside of what ending you get in a game.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Internet Kraken posted:

But enough about Silent Hill. :goonsay:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

M.O.D.O.K is perfect.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Klaus88 posted:

But enough about Silent Hill. :goonsay:
That's not even :goonsay:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

PublicOpinion posted:

So is it intending to depict two people in some weird latex fetish cosplay pantomime horse or was it supposed to actually look like a hybrid centaur pokemon?

Which do you think is more likely to be used as beating off material? It's that one

It's both. In these tough economic times it would be wasteful to draw two images to fap to.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke

Very cool looking, what's it crossed with? I don't recognize that style right off the bat.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

L...loss?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Pomp posted:

L...loss?

holy poo poo

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Loss will live never get old, it will live forever.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Pomp posted:

L...loss?

Holy poo poo, you're right

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Several thousand years in the future, people are going to be taught that this was an ancient religious symbol in High School.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

ShadowMar posted:

Several thousand years in the future, people are going to be taught that this was an ancient religious symbol in High School.

They would only be semantically wrong.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

More awesome than weird, but hereyago thread.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

HGH posted:

"Butterfry"

This guy manages to be repulsive on multiple levels.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Isn't that the creepy inflation guy? He's changed his online persona to a care bear? Oddly appropriate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

More awesome than weird, but hereyago thread.

This is neat

Half related

• Locked thread