Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Yeah, I'm not too happy with that either. But who knows, maybe having it in there gets more people to try SCE. As great and done with love as all the content in SCE is, aside from maybe F1 is doesn't really have anything that draws crowds.

I'll still have my SuperV8s, Opalas and Vees, so whatever :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

On the one hand I'm happy there's going to be a GT3 car for the sake of multiclass racing, on the other hand I'm constantly frustrated at how people have to have the exact same tracks and cars in every god drat game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's just marketing. If you don't have Nurburgring/Spa/Bathurst/Laguna the average customer who starts every race ramming people out of the way on turn 1 isn't going to pay attention to your game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

xzzy posted:

That's just marketing. If you don't have Nurburgring/Spa/Bathurst/Laguna the average customer who starts every race ramming people out of the way on turn 1 isn't going to pay attention to your game.

As far as I'm concerned when it comes to niche games like GSCE part of its appeal is not having the same tracks as everyone else, and I have no need to get those common tracks from Reiza when there are great mod versions available. Anyway speaking of GSCE they just released beta 1.49.

quote:

Added support for 24h race length;
Added original default steering lock setting (when ENABLE CUSTOM STEER ROTATION is set to YES);
Added Stock V8 rule which restricts tire stops to one tire change at a time;
Fixed bug with game process not ending after exiting (related to Logitech Monitor);
Fixed Caster setting bug;
Fixed grid position setting when qualifying is disabled;
Fixed performance issues with the SuperV8;
Improved jittering & design for in-game trackmap;
Removed blank box on starts;
Revised pit menu rules & pitstop timing for all series;
Further physics, FFB & AI revisions;
Fixed antiroll & ninth gear typos

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

F U man .. all those turn 1 hero's are important.. NEVER LIFT.

But seriously though, with all the racing sims out there it's rough.. I'm not too much into road racing but I see it all the time.
race 07, rfactor, LFS, iracing, GSCE, Raceroom, AC, Pcars, etc etc.. all tend to have the same carsets / tracks.. and it becomes a point of why am I buying all of these things.

each game has it's own merits though in some cases..
race07 was my first PC sim when I got into steam because it ran on my POS PC and has decent multiplayer.,
Rfactor i just picked up because the mod community is huge,
iRacing is good if you want to play a solid online experience where in the higher tiers turn1 hero's are gone (for the most part) due to the paywall and safety ratings.
I can't speak to the others becuase i dont' want gigs of the same tracks :P

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My hope is there's some small business out there taking a laser scanner to every small time race track in the world. When they finish, they sell licenses of the data to developers for inclusion in their games.

There's two road courses near me that are not noteworthy enough to ever get digitized otherwise, and I'd love to beat the crap out of them in a game.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

My hope is there's some small business out there taking a laser scanner to every small time race track in the world. When they finish, they sell licenses of the data to developers for inclusion in their games.

There's two road courses near me that are not noteworthy enough to ever get digitized otherwise, and I'd love to beat the crap out of them in a game.

trust me I'd love to find a NR2003 version of my local track (Lancaster speedway / elegant builders park, dun tire park) it's a 5/8 mile with 2 distinct corners plus until this year (after a repave) there was a bigass bump in about 1/4 of the way through turn 1&2 that would really F with you... I want that version laser scanned.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
honestly none of the choices sounded that great

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

xzzy posted:

Apparently this is why every game right now is getting the Nordschleife, the track owners laser scanned it themselves and just sold the data to whoever wanted it which turned out to be everyone. I do wish there was just a company that went around laser scanning places though, but tracks can be weird about that stuff. Someone was asking about some track and why it wasn't laser scanned in Assetto Corsa and the response was that they asked but the track owners refused to let them scan it.

tater_salad posted:

F U man .. all those turn 1 hero's are important.. NEVER LIFT.

But seriously though, with all the racing sims out there it's rough.. I'm not too much into road racing but I see it all the time.
race 07, rfactor, LFS, iracing, GSCE, Raceroom, AC, Pcars, etc etc.. all tend to have the same carsets / tracks.. and it becomes a point of why am I buying all of these things.

each game has it's own merits though in some cases..
race07 was my first PC sim when I got into steam because it ran on my POS PC and has decent multiplayer.,
Rfactor i just picked up because the mod community is huge,
iRacing is good if you want to play a solid online experience where in the higher tiers turn1 hero's are gone (for the most part) due to the paywall and safety ratings.
I can't speak to the others becuase i dont' want gigs of the same tracks :P

Race 07 didn't have a huge amount of the same tracks, it had Monza and Zandvoort but most the other tracks were ones that now are barely in anything. Stuff like Valencia, Macau, Brno, Magny-Cours etc. Then they had the STCC expansions which added even more tracks that haven't been in anything since. Race 07 was awesome.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
every game should have zandvoort

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Zandvoort is a cool track.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy posted:

FOV will become irrelevant in 2016 when we are all giving ourselves nausea with our Rifts. :colbert:
:neckbeard:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xw8DJY7aZQ

Excuse me while I throw my wheel and pedals into the trash.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xw8DJY7aZQ

Excuse me while I throw my wheel and pedals into the trash.

This explained exactly why I suck at rally driving games... I'm not on meth and coke with a 100shot of espresso.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

tater_salad posted:

This explained exactly why I suck at rally driving games... I'm not on meth and coke with a 100shot of espresso.

If it makes you feel any better, he knew the stage because he played it before :shobon:

...and the time wasn't that fast either.

SealHammer fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 16, 2015

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

SealHammer posted:

If it makes you feel any better, he knew the stage because he played it before :shobon:

...and the time wasn't that fast either.
Let's calculate the FoV we're getting from the camera's position and how much faster it looks than it is from where he is sitting. :v:

For reference, one of the top Dirt Rally players does the same stage/car in 2:58.6, a solid 7 seconds faster with a decent mistake. Now I'm curious what I've gotten on that stage in the Fiesta; wonder if I did or can do better with a controller than a "pro" driver.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Seeing how the stock cars for rfactor 2 seemed to be rather lackluster. I figured I should get my hands on Nascar 2003 season instead of buying rFactor 2, just to have something to mess around in when bored. But it seems like the game won't work with Windows 8 and up. Anyone who has managed to get it to work?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What is the problem?
Does this help
https://m.reddit.com/r/Nr2003/comments/28wsgz/windows_81_and_nr2003/

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 17, 2015

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

My bad, made it sound like I already have it. I meant that by the looks of things the game will not function on W8 and up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Torabi posted:

My bad, made it sound like I already have it. I meant that by the looks of things the game will not function on W8 and up.

I had no trouble making it work on Windows 10. Just installed it and it worked.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Finally feel like I found the right settings for gamepad and AC, and it feels so good. I have played lovely simcades for far too long.

OhsH posted:

if you can manage to snag a used g27 for super cheap i'd also recommend that.

I think this is what I'm looking for. Same price-class as the HOTAS Warthog, everything I want in a wheel.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So I finally tried iRacing today. Spent a while setting up, figuring out that NoScript blocks the communication between Firefox and the service :argh: and started a test session for whatever this week's Mazda rookie track is. I ended up doing like two hours of just lapping. Turns out I really like how the driving feels. I don't know why, but somehow I was expecting it to be worse.

Let's see how many tracks and cars I buy myself for Christmas, shall we?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

If you still like it when it's time.. buy the $50 1 year around black friday.

They also run deals during the year for buy x in iracing bucks get x back.

In rookies your goal is to get out of rookies.. which means give retards space, lift when you see smoke.. don't drive hard into turn1 lap1. don't try and race hard against a car that keeps wiggling every corner.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also the load of old content they just added to the free stuff means you can now get comfortable driving faster cars on longer or more complex ovals without having to rank up or buy anything.

E: Also in iRacing beginner stuff, find the app.ini file in the iRacing documents folder and change autoResetPitBox to 0, this'll make it so the game won't automatically change your tires and refuel you after a repair. Will make rookie races a lot less painful.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 18, 2015

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Just put CART Extreme into my SCE beta install and have been kicking around on the Rio oval. Its still the best mod for any racing sim ever, and its nice that I don't have to mess around in the logitech thing to run it

There are still some problems that limit oval racing; rolling starts are still the joke they were in rfactor because second place doesn't get penalised for passing the leader so if you go after the AI as the pole sitter you'll end up in tenth by turn 1, but if you go before you'll end up ten car lengths in front by turn 1 and you retain some... interesting rfactor behaviour under yellow: in a ten lap race only the top 10 finished on the lead lap because under the yellow (that may have been caused by me spinning in turn 1...) they all decided to pit and drop to some very low speed on pit entry, and cars struggle to get in order behind the safety car after leaving the pits if they end up out of order. SCE isn't an oval track simulator though so most of that is OK: but the rolling start stuff really needs to be looked at since lots of road race series use them... The actual racing was surprisingly good though - you go have to put invulnerability on against the AI but other than that safety net you can have some surprisingly good races

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

tater_salad posted:

In rookies your goal is to get out of rookies.. which means give retards space, lift when you see smoke.. don't drive hard into turn1 lap1. don't try and race hard against a car that keeps wiggling every corner.

Thanks. Heeded the advice, started 7th ended 4th without any incident. I actually had a good close race for the whole second half with another dude, but I couldn't push him into making a mistake.

I like it.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Just saw that rFactor2 updated historic Spa and Monaco. Hard at work for the Steam release I see.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Ghostdog,please pick up the skip barber. Gooncar is at 5pm Sundays

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
How do I get in? And what timezone is that? I'm CET, so 5pm EST I can make, PST is just too late.

If it's EST I'm going to be there next Sunday.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's at 4pm central.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

How do I get in? And what timezone is that? I'm CET, so 5pm EST I can make, PST is just too late.

If it's EST I'm going to be there next Sunday.

It's 5pm EST, search for "Gooncar World Series" in the League Directory. It's at Thompson Speedway this week.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Hey guys the crew is actually a pretty competent open world driver for pc and isn't totally poo poo #wow #whoa

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

OhsH posted:

Hey guys the crew is actually a pretty competent open world driver for pc and isn't totally poo poo #wow #whoa

So it is a decent replacement for TDU?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Cool, 11pm CET, I can make that most weeks.

I've seen some videos here and there, how do you guys race under you SA names? Can you have an alias in hosted races?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

OhsH posted:

How's the wheel support?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
multiple usb device support (up to 3 from what i can tell) 900 degree, ffb might be a little too strong by default but you can tone it down.

GhostDog posted:

Cool, 11pm CET, I can make that most weeks.

I've seen some videos here and there, how do you guys race under you SA names? Can you have an alias in hosted races?

pm me your real name and i hook it up nice and tight 4 u.

also you get a facebook friend request.

Kilonum posted:

So it is a decent replacement for TDU?

never played, but probably.

reminds me a lot of a forza horizons on PC

OhsH fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 18, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

OhsH posted:

pm me your real name and i hook it up nice and tight 4 u.

Applied and done.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I got The Crew for free when I got my Xbone and it's a pretty fun racer. Though it emphasises that devs need to stop trying to make racing games with stories happen.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Had a look at the upcoming Gooncar races, I'll have to skip (i.e. not buying) the pure ovals, so I'm buying Brands Hatch, New Hampshire, Iowa and the Skip Barber. Also throwing in Mid Ohio and Sebring to get to the 20% discount. gently caress. They got me man, they loving got me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I played the crew on my friends ps4 a long time ago. It was pretty fun but I would never buy it. The story part of the game was dumb.

• Locked thread