Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Looking for more Groundhog Day-like films, living/experiencing the same day over and over. So far I've seen Source Code, Edge of Tomorrow and Premature. Any others out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Allyn posted:

Looking for more Groundhog Day-like films, living/experiencing the same day over and over. So far I've seen Source Code, Edge of Tomorrow and Premature. Any others out there?

Kind of the same thing, but Vantage Point is about an event taken from eight different perspectives. It's kinda bad though if only because after each perspective concludes they rewind the whole thing back to the beginning and start again.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Triangle is similar to that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Allyn posted:

There'a an episode of Supernatural that's basically that, the Stargate tv show too. Neither episode really require much knowledge of the shows in general, so if you wouldn't be too lost if those are the only episodes you ever watch.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Skwirl posted:

There'a an episode of Supernatural that's basically that,

"Mystery Spot." It's a gem. Truly.

For a movie, Run Lola Run. It doesn't repeat a whole day but rather a span of a few minutes, but I'd throw it into that category.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Allyn posted:

The annoyingly named +1 is like an inverse version of this trope. I know that sounds odd but it's decently good and worth going into without reading up about it first.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Allyn posted:

Daybreak was a TV show with the same idea.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Allyn posted:

The X-Files episode Monday may tickle that itch.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Allyn posted:

Retroactive is like that where a woman keeps time traveling repeatedly to stop a murder.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117468/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Are there any good Taiwanese movies? I love both hong kong bullet operas as well as mainland kungfu flicks, but is there anything really good/interesting coming off Formosa? Also, maybe Singapore.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Frostwerks posted:

Are there any good Taiwanese movies? I love both hong kong bullet operas as well as mainland kungfu flicks, but is there anything really good/interesting coming off Formosa? Also, maybe Singapore.
Haven't actually seen these, but Kong bu fen zi, Yi Yi, What Time is it There?, A Confucian Confusion, Vive L'amour, A Touch of Zen, A Brighter Summer Day, Rebels of the Neon God, A Summer at Grandpa's, Dust in the Wind, and Taipei Story come highly recommended.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ilo Ilo is perhaps the best Singaporean film ever, but that's not saying much. It's still really good and an easy watch.

Fresh off the festival circuit, The Assassin by Hou Hsiao-Hsien looks to be one of the better recent Taiwan/Hong Kong/China films. It's not available on Blu-Ray or DVD or whatever, but it's for sure on my watchlist.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 17, 2015

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
You guys. I'm interested in seeing more urban post-WWII dramas. Preferably noir or social realist stuff, e.g. The Third Man, Stray Dog, Phoenix, maybe something akin to Bicycle Thieves if you think it's worth seeing, but the more evident the direct aftermath of war is, the better.

Alternatively if anyone knows anything good that takes place during WWII, but centred on citydwellers trying to go about their lives under the effects of wartime, I'd be into that. I've read some 40's NYC/LA-set things that were interesting, when the US still had to presume there was a threat of Axis attack, but I don't know what there is on film about that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

GimpChimp posted:

You guys. I'm interested in seeing more urban post-WWII dramas. Preferably noir or social realist stuff, e.g. The Third Man, Stray Dog, Phoenix, maybe something akin to Bicycle Thieves if you think it's worth seeing, but the more evident the direct aftermath of war is, the better.

Alternatively if anyone knows anything good that takes place during WWII, but centred on citydwellers trying to go about their lives under the effects of wartime, I'd be into that. I've read some 40's NYC/LA-set things that were interesting, when the US still had to presume there was a threat of Axis attack, but I don't know what there is on film about that.

The Best Years of Our Lives, if you haven't seen it.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Haven't actually seen these, but Kong bu fen zi, Yi Yi, What Time is it There?, A Confucian Confusion, Vive L'amour, A Touch of Zen, A Brighter Summer Day, Rebels of the Neon God, A Summer at Grandpa's, Dust in the Wind, and Taipei Story come highly recommended.
I've seen most of them and I would highly recommend them all. A Brighter Summer Day is a 4 hour masterpiece that is extremely hard to find, it's begging for a Criterion release. Hou Hsiao-Hsien, Edward Yang, and Tsai Ming-Liang are the masters of the Taiwanese New Wave and you should watch all their films.

GimpChimp posted:

Big time seconding The Best Years of Our Lives. Watch Rossellini's WWII trilogy: Rome, Open City, Paisan, and Germany, Year Zero. A lotta great Japanese movies fit the bill such as Pigs and Battleships and Gate of Flesh.

HP Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 17, 2015

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Hello Cinema Discusso, I am looking for a movie that both my wife and I can agree with. She wants a "love movie", which apparently includes emotions and interesting characters in a setting that should not be too far out (no SciFi, perhaps no fantasy, but some kind of social experiment thing is ok, foreign movies are good too), all while not being too dumb either. I am just looking for something that is watchable while passing these criteria, maybe more than one film. If it exists. We are in our mid-thirties if that helps.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Hello Cinema Discusso, I am looking for a movie that both my wife and I can agree with. She wants a "love movie", which apparently includes emotions and interesting characters in a setting that should not be too far out (no SciFi, perhaps no fantasy, but some kind of social experiment thing is ok, foreign movies are good too), all while not being too dumb either. I am just looking for something that is watchable while passing these criteria, maybe more than one film. If it exists. We are in our mid-thirties if that helps.

Titanic
Amelie
High Fidelity
Wall-E (it's Sci-Fi,but I doubt your wife will mind unless she has no heart)
When Harry Met Sally
Grosse Point Blank (if your wife doesn't mind a bit of violence)
Before Sunrise (and it's sequels)
Either the Luhrman or 1968 Romeo and Juliet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Eternal Sunshine is mostly grounded in reality but still pretty good.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Before Sunrise (helps if you can really remember what your early 20s were like, how it felt and how the world looked to you) and its sequels. The first sequel, Before Sunset, will speak to you more directly than the first film. But if you watch these, please give the first film a few weeks to settle in your head before watching the next. My favorite movies of all time.

Certified Copy definitely involves emotions and whatnot, but of a more subtle and problematic nature than simply Love.

Wong Kar Wei's entire oeuvre could be summarized as bittersweet love stories. Chungking Express is the lightest, a frothy pair of stories that will linger in your mind. In the Mood for Love is probably his most low-key, understated film. 2046 is a standalone quasi sequel and his most accomplished.

E: the setting might rule out 2046, although it really really shouldn't. It is nominally Sci Fi, at least in part, but it's not about being Sci Fi the way, say, Blade Runner or Terminator are. It's about what it means to feel.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 18, 2015

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

e: nm

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 18, 2015

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

GimpChimp posted:

A Foreign Affair, The Stranger.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

regulargonzalez posted:

Before Sunrise (helps if you can really remember what your early 20s were like, how it felt and how the world looked to you) and its sequels. The first sequel, Before Sunset, will speak to you more directly than the first film. But if you watch these, please give the first film a few weeks to settle in your head before watching the next. My favorite movies of all time.

Certified Copy definitely involves emotions and whatnot, but of a more subtle and problematic nature than simply Love.

Wong Kar Wei's entire oeuvre could be summarized as bittersweet love stories. Chungking Express is the lightest, a frothy pair of stories that will linger in your mind. In the Mood for Love is probably his most low-key, understated film. 2046 is a standalone quasi sequel and his most accomplished.

E: the setting might rule out 2046, although it really really shouldn't. It is nominally Sci Fi, at least in part, but it's not about being Sci Fi the way, say, Blade Runner or Terminator are. It's about what it means to feel.

Chungking Express also has Brigette Lin who is one of the greatest Chinese actresses ever, and In the Mood for Love and 2046 have Maggie Cheung.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
If I enjoyed the musical way back when I was a kid, would I enjoy watching the 1980s Footloose?

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

TychoCelchuuu posted:

A Foreign Affair, The Stranger.

HP Hovercraft posted:

Big time seconding The Best Years of Our Lives. Watch Rossellini's WWII trilogy: Rome, Open City, Paisan, and Germany, Year Zero. A lotta great Japanese movies fit the bill such as Pigs and Battleships and Gate of Flesh.

morestuff posted:

The Best Years of Our Lives, if you haven't seen it.

These all look very good and on point and I haven't seen any of them. Thanks folks.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

GimpChimp posted:

The Search

star trek
Apr 7, 2009
I loved Amelie and Submarine. Any other movies that are fun and quirky like these?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

star trek posted:

I loved Amelie and Submarine. Any other movies that are fun and quirky like these?

Definitely Frances Ha, Moonrise Kingdom (really all of Wes Anderson's stuff I guess) and Scott Pilgrim. Maybe Castaway on the Moon -- not sure it's fun enough, it's a little slower paced, but it's absolutely lovely in its quirkiness. I'd also throw It's Such a Beautiful Day out there -- again, I don't know if fun's necessarily the word (it is at times but it also gets really, really heavy), but it's just the fuckin best. Plus it's on Netflix and only an hour long.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Thank you very much Skwirl, computer parts and regulargonzalez. You recommendations were very helpful and I appreciate the effort!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What are some of the better ww2 documentaries and films, focusing on the tank warfare etc. If it exists (and is good), I want to see stuff about the race to develop the bigger and better tanks over the course of the war.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

What are some of the better ww2 documentaries and films, focusing on the tank warfare etc. If it exists (and is good), I want to see stuff about the race to develop the bigger and better tanks over the course of the war.

Might not be exactly what you're looking for but Fury is pretty good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A good chunk of Patton is about the tank battles in Northern Africa.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fury has perhaps the best tank battle in the history of film

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Kvlt! posted:

Might not be exactly what you're looking for but Fury is pretty good.

I quite enjoyed Fury up until the very last battle, against the SS regiment when the tank was immobilized. It just seemed too far into movie land.

Skwirl posted:

A good chunk of Patton is about the tank battles in Northern Africa.

I've heard good things about Patton, I'll check it out. I'll watch Tora Tora Tora too while I'm at it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

It's not about tanks specifically, but A Bridge Too Far has some tanks/tank battles in it, though they are not the focus of the film. Regardless it's an excellent movie so I think you'll enjoy it!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Comedy option: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pentagon_Wars

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are the best survival films? I've seen the classics like The Edge, Into The Wild and The Grey. I'm really looking for that "man pushed to his limits to survive" type film.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kvlt! posted:

What are the best survival films? I've seen the classics like The Edge, Into The Wild and The Grey. I'm really looking for that "man pushed to his limits to survive" type film.

Does The Road count? Because drat.

Castaway is the obvious answer.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Here are some good romance movies that are not quite sci-fi or the sci-fi is understated or just the background setting. They're the first movies I would show someone who thinks they don't like sci fi.

I Origins
Frequencies
Code 46
Perfect Sense
The one I love
Safety not guaranteed
Comet

edit: Sci-fi/Romance/Horror comedy option: Spring

monkey fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 4, 2015

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

Kvlt! posted:

Touching The Void (documentary), All Is Lost, and Alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I Origins, huh.

• Locked thread