Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Who the gently caress puts a globe on top of a refrigerator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Sweet Jesus. You know you probably could've gotten an equally powerful laptop and an iPad for less than that, right?

Honestly the fact that it isn't a macbook pro+iPad is its biggest selling point to me. I'm not saying it was a financially wise decision, I'm terrible with money, but I am and will be happy with it.

e: I should be proud of myself for resisting buying the 1TB version that was 500 dollars more. I was so close to doing it and only didn't because the shipping date was another few weeks out.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 23:21 on Oct 17, 2015

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Murphy Brownback posted:

Honestly the fact that it isn't a macbook pro+iPad is its biggest selling point to me. I'm not saying it was a financially wise decision, I'm terrible with money, but I am and will be happy with it.

So want to get one of those. They look amazing. :swoon:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

SaltLick posted:

It was here or the product recommendation thread but what was the Chapstick that's real good and they give to cancer patients

User name post combo ammirite???

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EXPRM7C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
I bought some and it's great

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Crain posted:

The same kind of person who wears a bright red, untucked, just taken out of its retail package dress shirt with jeans.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

And people poo poo on me for a $1k gaming laptop.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Are you really rich or just have a lot of credit cards?

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.

Crain posted:

He's clearly standing in front of the Daily Planet.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

plain blue jacket posted:

Not the OP but maybe he would rather spend 3K on a piece of tech then go on vacation or something? Or maybe he has disposable income.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

plain blue jacket posted:

Who the gently caress cares? It's his money, he can spend it how he wants. And honestly, "really rich?"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm irrationally annoyed at the Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter.

Like...you got that baller laptop, but a monitor without DVI or HDMI?

Especially since a generic adapter will cost less than half that...but I guess when you're that much what's another $20?

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 03:25 on Oct 18, 2015

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Especially since a generic adapter will cost less than half that...but I guess when you're that much what's another $20?

my guess was hooking up to a projector, but then I realized all our work projectors are 1080p with hdmi hookups

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

DrBouvenstein posted:

I will use it for work a lot, which involves giving talks at a lot of different places, and typically the only thing the projector has is VGA (at least, at most universities I've been to). It's not what I'll use at home.

e: also re: "really rich" - it's not THAT much more than I would have spent on a more standard new "gaming" pc/laptop anyway. I saved up for it and bought it, no richness or credit cards involved.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 06:36 on Oct 18, 2015

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
We bought wedding rings today. Hurray!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

AGirlWonder posted:

We bought wedding rings today. Hurray!

Are you really rich or something?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What was Microsoft thinking here (or not thinking)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Probably about keyboard impressions on the screen.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So many people are gonna break that hinge.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

They were thinking "how can we have it articulate 270 degrees without compromising the docking connector?" MS is not really known for knocking out of the park aesthetically speaking.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

"Tie clip lol."

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I like that hinge a lot :shrug:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
It easily allows the keyboard to bend completely back so it's a pure tablet, similar to the magnetic keyboards on the Surface Pros. It can remain at any angle you wish, which is a huge step up from the magnetic keyboards. I think it looks pretty rad.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CancerStick posted:

I like that hinge a lot :shrug:

Same here. I'm not in the market for a laptop or tablet but I'm loving their designs.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

flosofl posted:

MS is not really known for knocking out of the park aesthetically speaking.

That's not true at all. Most of their product design is pretty stellar, though sometimes weighed down by a single bad decision or bad software.

Ragequit posted:

It easily allows the keyboard to bend completely back so it's a pure tablet, similar to the magnetic keyboards on the Surface Pros. It can remain at any angle you wish, which is a huge step up from the magnetic keyboards. I think it looks pretty rad.

Also not true, which makes it even worse. The laptop can only bend to about Macbook Pro levels, then if you want tablet mode you have to pull off the screen and flip it around. The special hinge is completely wasted.

edit: here are some photos of the hinge so you can see how it really (doesn't) work:

Fayez Butts has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Oct 18, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That's both ugly and stupid.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fayez Butts posted:

Most of their product design is pretty stellar...

I'm still trying to wrap my head around you saying this and those pictures existing in the same post. It's like a poster for Cognitive Dissonance.

and [timg] that poo poo.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
I preordered too, hinge is awesome, design is awesome, specs are awesome, gently caress the haters

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Astrobastard posted:

I preordered too, hinge is awesome, design is awesome, specs are awesome, gently caress the haters

People are just pissed off that Apple didn't come out with it first. If they had, and it was brushed aluminum or some poo poo, they'd be eating it up.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sigma X posted:

People are just pissed off that Apple didn't come out with it first. If they had, and it was brushed aluminum or some poo poo, they'd be eating it up.

Everything Apple makes is trash

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I bet that hinge has much more longevity than traditional hinges. It also seems like it would put a lot less strain on the internal cable that connects the screen to the main board. It looks a little wonky but everything new does at first.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

flosofl posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around you saying this and those pictures existing in the same post. It's like a poster for Cognitive Dissonance.

and [timg] that poo poo.

Since when the gently caress did most mean all?

And sorry about you're tiny monitor.

Fayez Butts has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Oct 18, 2015

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Sigma X posted:

Heh... iSheep amirite?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sigma X posted:

Was going to post this, just like integrating the keyboard into the screen cover it's stupid now but it will be a genius innovation when apple copies it in 2-3 years.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Geoj posted:

Was going to post this, just like integrating the keyboard into the screen cover it's stupid now but it will be a genius innovation when apple copies it in 2-3 years.

Can you post an example of this happening? Because I'd say it's been more like: Apple launches new concept -> nerds guffaw over how stupid it is -> it becomes successful and other manufacturers start producing copies -> nerds buy those and shift their focus onto "well this version is much better than the crApple one".

Being the first to do something well matters more than just being the first to do it. I'd rather pay more for a polished experience than a half-baked piece of poo poo – which isn't to say that the hinge discussed here is one, because I haven't tried it, but if you're going to make comments like that then you should be able to back them up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Can you post an example of this happening? Because I'd say it's been more like: Apple launches new concept -> nerds guffaw over how stupid it is -> it becomes successful and other manufacturers start producing copies -> nerds buy those and shift their focus onto "well this version is much better than the crApple one".

Being the first to do something well matters more than just being the first to do it. I'd rather pay more for a polished experience than a half-baked piece of poo poo – which isn't to say that the hinge discussed here is one, because I haven't tried it, but if you're going to make comments like that then you should be able to back them up.

Keyboards in covers were available since shortly after the first iPad. What the Surface innovated was using lovely keyboards in covers. Sadly, Apple appears to be taking the same tack. Fortunately, 3rd party manufacturers will step up.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ragequit posted:

The tablet detaches from the keyboard.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2989208/tablet-pc/hands-on-microsofts-surface-book-is-a-stunner-as-both-a-tablet-and-a-laptop.html

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fire Safety Doug posted:

but if you're going to make comments like that then you should be able to back them up.

The iPhone - smartphones existed before Apple released the iPhone, yet they're credited with "innovating" the concept of a small pocket-sized computer that can also act as a mobile phone.

If you want to go even further back - MP3 players were a well established item before the iPod was released, but again, Apple is credited with inventing the portable digital media player.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Lotta nerds gettin' angry about their iDroids up in here.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Geoj posted:

The iPhone - smartphones existed before Apple released the iPhone, yet they're credited with "innovating" the concept of a small pocket-sized computer that can also act as a mobile phone.

If you want to go even further back - MP3 players were a well established item before the iPod was released, but again, Apple is credited with inventing the portable digital media player.

Lol.

Innovating doesn't mean invent, as you seem to think.

And other than your imagination, where has anyone said Apple invented the portable digital media player?

But please, continue being a salty goon. It's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

flosofl posted:

Innovating doesn't mean invent, as you seem to think.

Maybe you should tell that to Apple?

I mean, Steve Jobs literally said (regarding the iPhone) "this is our idea and everyone else stole it" and Apple proceeded to wage a nearly decade-long legal battle over it.