Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Robzilla posted:

Look at this scrub who doesn't know how to manage heat. :smug:

Heat is probably the most fun mechanic in the game. You can use that bolt staff to loving machine gun fire with rapid left and right clicking, dip into overheat for a large pack and then go BURN THEM WITH YOUR FIRE SWORD :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Had a team ruined by a single storm vermin at the planks leading up to the tower. Pushed me off to hang for life, then pushed the elf clear off for an instant kill while the slaves pummeled those who managed to get inside :allears:

On restart the witch hunter walked off the pier just before we got swarmed.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Kanos posted:

I'm deeply concerned that the current pub exploit strategy du jour of hiding under the horn at the end of Magnus is going to cause Fatshark to wipe progress.

I like the strategy of getting a person to hit the horn and speed potion jump back on the platform you came from, allowing the group to form on the easily defended infinite ammo box a tiny way back.

Time to move up from Hard. :allears:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Robzilla posted:

Look at this scrub who doesn't know how to manage heat. :smug:

To be fair there is no guide or instructions on how to really play the different characters yet

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

Heat is probably the most fun mechanic in the game. You can use that bolt staff to loving machine gun fire with rapid left and right clicking, dip into overheat for a large pack and then go BURN THEM WITH YOUR FIRE SWORD :black101:
I've yet to get a Flaming Sword :negative:

Raged posted:

To be fair there is no guide or instructions on how to really play the different characters yet
True, but the game tells you outright that overheating would be bad.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Promontory posted:

Had a team ruined by a single storm vermin at the planks leading up to the tower. Pushed me off to hang for life, then pushed the elf clear off for an instant kill while the slaves pummeled those who managed to get inside :allears:

Goddamn if Stormvermin aren't awesome foes. Especially when you see a patrol of them coming. In one instance the group I was in were on the roof just before the tower and slowly inching back, everyone sort of looking around for a place to let them pass by. Absolute chaos when I decided "gently caress it" and grenaded them.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Azerban posted:

I like the strategy of getting a person to hit the horn and speed potion jump back on the platform you came from, allowing the group to form on the easily defended infinite ammo box a tiny way back.

Time to move up from Hard. :allears:

As we found out yesterday, you can still get hosed up in there, but mostly if the guy fails the jump.

I imagine a poison grenade getting in there would get nasty too.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the gas rat's AI is rather lacking, so i doubt thats an issue.

the gas rat being actually semi-competent at chucking his globes around would do a lot to make the horn spot a real dicey proposition as well. he spends way too much time lollygagging.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
one of the things I am liking about this game so far is there is a lot of room for them to expand and add new characters/classes to the game. End time lore means they can pretty much do whatever they like. Now they just need to add in some cannibalistic halfling cooks.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Demiurge4 posted:

Please tell me you do more damage with the sword if you're overheating.

Also, stupid newbie question: Do items and specials highlight blue automatically, do you have point at them, press something or what?

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Please tell me you do more damage with the sword if you're overheating.

Also, stupid newbie question: Do items and specials highlight blue automatically, do you have to point at them , press something or what?

default is T but a lot of goons bind it to shift since there's no sprint.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Any tips on how to use the dwarf well? It kinda feels to me the soldier fulfills the same role generally better, due his access to swords. The inherent armor piercing on the dwarf's axes and hammers is nice and all, but losing the ability to damage and stagger several opponents per strike doesn't seem worth the trade-off. Even fairly small groups take a while to put down this way. Is there perhaps another ranged weapon that gives him some more utility? So far I've only gotten the crossbow (quite good, but so's the soldier's arquebus) and the two-shot shotgun (rather disappointing).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Any tips on how to use the dwarf well? It kinda feels to me the soldier fulfills the same role generally better, due his access to swords. The inherent armor piercing on the dwarf's axes and hammers is nice and all, but losing the ability to damage and stagger several opponents per strike doesn't seem worth the trade-off. Even fairly small groups take a while to put down this way. Is there perhaps another ranged weapon that gives him some more utility? So far I've only gotten the crossbow (quite good, but so's the soldier's arquebus) and the two-shot shotgun (rather disappointing).

I feel like the dwarf is most suited to hard and above. He excels at blocking off doorways and using his superior stamina to block and pushback skaven. He's probably the best defensive character and on the friendly fire difficulties his height lets the empire soldier sweep above him and other characters shoot past him in the same doorway.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

That's a cursed die, three tomes and a grimoire, fffffuuuCKKKkkk yoooUUUUuuuu.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
I've had the game disconnect me three times when the rat ogre is attacking, on two separate computers. Anyone experienced the same?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Kanos posted:

I'm deeply concerned that the current pub exploit strategy du jour of hiding under the horn at the end of Magnus is going to cause Fatshark to wipe progress.

I thought progress was getting wiped before the actual launch anyway?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

I thought progress was getting wiped before the actual launch anyway?

Only if they identify obvious bullshitty exploits. To be honest though the speed potion jump back and hold up in the ammo room is worse.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Demiurge4 posted:

Only if they identify obvious bullshitty exploits. To be honest though the speed potion jump back and hold up in the ammo room is worse.

Oh poo poo this is big news. I quit playing for the weekend because I thought it was a 100% for sure wipe. I'm willing to risk a maybe wipe

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Dear Fatshark, just put all the classes from Warhammer Online into this. Thanks.

Wanna be a Blackguard so bad.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Pierson posted:

That's a cursed die, three tomes and a grimoire, fffffuuuCKKKkkk yoooUUUUuuuu.

Watch as your 3 tome/2 grimoire/2 loot die only gets 2 successes, and your vanilla sewers run nets you an orange.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Brightwizard question, when charging a fireball/bolt with the altfire does it matter if you let it complete the charging animation or can you just fire it straight away for full effect?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Demiurge4 posted:

I doubt they will wipe over the various ways people exploit the ending to Horn, there will always be map glitches. People still did run through the entire map legitimately to get there, which is the main point of the game. They'll probably just add some invisible wall to prevent jumping back out and either some extra wood beams to keep you out of the horn, or just add some extra AI which spawns a bunch of globe/rattling gunners that specifically know how to target you there.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Theswarms posted:

Brightwizard question, when charging a fireball/bolt with the altfire does it matter if you let it complete the charging animation or can you just fire it straight away for full effect?

You can let it go for a smaller effect. If you let the entire animation play through it'll be bigger/stronger

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Dr. VooDoo posted:

You can let it go for a smaller effect. If you let the entire animation play through it'll be bigger/stronger

I really like the Bolt staff, but hate the charging animation, as half way to done it completely obscures the targeting area, right when I'm trying to line up the headshot.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Skandranon posted:

I doubt they will wipe over the various ways people exploit the ending to Horn, there will always be map glitches. People still did run through the entire map legitimately to get there, which is the main point of the game. They'll probably just add some invisible wall to prevent jumping back out and either some extra wood beams to keep you out of the horn, or just add some extra AI which spawns a bunch of globe/rattling gunners that specifically know how to target you there.

Yeah, I figure they're mostly worried about some kind of duping exploit that would let you get essentially infinite amount of items in some way, especially since the forge would allow you to use that to level them all the way to red items.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Longshot007 posted:

default is T but a lot of goons bind it to shift since there's no sprint.

I rebound to Q because ENEMY RAT SPOTTED.

I've only played a few games, but I lucked out and got a mace/shield for the soldier that has a small chance of life gain on hit. It's pretty swell to just stand in a doorway/corridor and say "Nope, no rats allowed.". You can also hold off two Stormvermin indefinitely with reasonable shield bash timing. Too bad the damage potential is pretty low.

Now, give me an Orc with either a AoE fear-causing war cry or a "lower life = more attack speed because you're having a good time" gimmick and I'd be hooked.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Magni posted:

I really don't see those two particulars working background-wise. You put a WHFB Orc and a Dwarf into the same room and at most one of them is going to walk out of there alive. And a Necromancer would trigger a full-on KILL WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE reaction from any of the current characters. The Witch Hunter in particular. Seriously, WHFB necromancers are bad news. The closest we could ever get in that direction would be an Amethyst Wizard/Death Mage.

Yeah I know, but it's the End Times and meh, it'd be fun to bash stuff with a choppa or Incantation of Nehekara some zombies up to fight for you. It's just a pretty cool setup they have here and I'd love to see it expanded with more enemies (fighting Chaos or undead instead) and more heroes.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Game has gotten really crashy for me lately :(.

sg54
May 9, 2012
Played about 10 games or so and its really fun but I've seem to come across two types of players which have killed a few of the runs when playing with pubs...the rushers who fly through the level as fast as possible and the guys who want to inspect every alley, ever crevice. I'm fine with either play style provided the 4 man team isn't trying to play both ways :(

I always seem to be the middleman rushing to knock an assassin off the guy in the front or thin the horde on the guy in the rear.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What if they put in another team of heroes? You got a black orc berserker, an oddboi, a vampire of some kind, a dark elf and maybe a skaven of some kind. You can't mix and match the teams but you can play either for a bit of flavor. They can use this for a vs mode where instead of one team just playing the special rats, they run both teams parallel through a map where in order to progress they have to open doors and stuff to let the other team through. Then when both teams reach the end they have a big loving FIGHT! :black101: where the winner gets two grimoire dice for winning. The losing team still gets to roll for loot though.

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006
Yeah bots are better than actual players for me at this point, I don't know whats going on but I just can't get past any levels with human players and I for sure don't want to talk to random people on the internet to help them figure out they have to move.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Wow, the firelady seems much better than the other characters. I can 1 shot most rats with the default fireball thing.

Pretty cool game so far.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Skandranon posted:

I really like the Bolt staff, but hate the charging animation, as half way to done it completely obscures the targeting area, right when I'm trying to line up the headshot.

I got a blue bolt staff last night that has decreased overcharge rate and chance to heal on kill. Playing Fuegonasus has been pretty novel for me, since I play mainly melee focused guys. Lining up a bunch of rats for multiple head shots is quite satisfying. Does anyone know if it pierces indefinitely, or does it have a limit?

Got my first Hard run in this Beta cycle. Did it with a friend of mine and some pubbies last night. Before we even got to the guard house in Horn of Magnus, the elf was off on her own getting stabbed by a gutter runner for a good ten seconds before we could get to her. Queue finding two cursed dice early, a rat ogre in confined spaces, a stormvermin patrol right at the tail end of that, and not finding healing items until the courtyard after blowing the gate.

My friend and I decided this would not be a grimoire run. A good thing too, since we could barely keep the pubbies from face tanking every rat, even when they had a perfectly good shield tank to stand behind.

Still won. Rolled snake-eyes.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Oh jesus those dice you find are cursed? No wonder I had such a bad time the first time I actually tried to play a level, I picked one up outta like the first box I found!

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzj6EeFi_7U

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Grondoth posted:

Oh jesus those dice you find are cursed? No wonder I had such a bad time the first time I actually tried to play a level, I picked one up outta like the first box I found!

From what I understand they decrease your luck, meaning you find fewer helpful items in the level and have more rats spawning to kill you. I still pick them up without hesitation.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Grondoth posted:

The effect of a single cursed die seems to be pretty minor. Maybe a few more empty chests, but personally I've never noticed a particularly significant difference between having dice or not. They're absolutely worth picking up every time, their benefits completely outweigh the downsides. Much the same goes for tomes (at last on normal and hard :shobon:), grimoires are really the only thing where you have to make a calculated decision whether to take them along.

Oh, and speaking of grimoires, you can actually discard them after you've picked them up. Just select them like you would a potion and press left mouse button, and you'll throw it away, negating the health penalty instantly. If you do that it's gone for good, though, it just vanishes and can't be picked up again.

No, I haven't found this out completely by accident just a minute away from an easy win, why would you ask that?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Tell me there is clubs somewhere in this game.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

Tell me there is clubs somewhere in this game.

Well the human soldier gets a massive warhammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
We've kind of slowly come up with shorthand nicknames for the specials, if anyone is confused when they hear them

Gutter Runner=Assassin
Globadier=Gasser
Pack Master=Hooker
Stormmvermin=Armor
poo poo ton of stormmvermin=Patrol
Rat ogre= Ogre. (duh)

• Locked thread