Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

They should lump Russia and america together vs germany. Solves the Russians lack of population/tanks at least. Not sure why they thought introducing another faction was a good idea.

Also H3s are goddamn bullshit of the highest order. An instant kill that can't be avoided and can be delivered any time any place by an rear end in a top hat suicide charging on a motorcycle/jeep. Great game design!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Great Beer posted:

They should lump Russia and america together vs germany. Solves the Russians lack of population/tanks at least. Not sure why they thought introducing another faction was a good idea.

Also H3s are goddamn bullshit of the highest order. An instant kill that can't be avoided and can be delivered any time any place by an rear end in a top hat suicide charging on a motorcycle/jeep. Great game design!

I think an economic incentive would work better to make underdog factions more viable. Something like +50 percent income on everything if you play with a faction that has the longest losing streak?

And H3s demand you go right next to the tank and they would not be worth using if that wasn't a thing. They should make tanking cheaper though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I have finally decided to give this game a whirl. Added myself to spreadsheet, can usually be found in CTS mumbles.

AmiEsiM
Dec 6, 2013

Always be yourself, unless you can be Batman.
so happy to finally get a scope on my german bolt, I really hate the ironsight on that thing with a passion.

Also, Russia is on Point these days.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
The K98k ironsight is ok if you get really close to the screen with your face and also use a magnifying glass.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just installed this. I'll dick around for a bit this morning. Whistling and dinging my bell sounds fun while I get murdered.

Holy poo poo wtf am I doing. I don't even know how to switch soldiers in battle. Eh, still fun.

Thronde fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 1, 2015

AmiEsiM
Dec 6, 2013

when you spawn, chk the bottom left to cycle between soldiers. Someone mentioned to have different soldiers to specialize in different things and i totally agree with that and wish i did that from the start.

What faction are you playing as?

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Not bad for a browser game

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

AmiEsiM posted:

when you spawn, chk the bottom left to cycle between soldiers. Someone mentioned to have different soldiers to specialize in different things and i totally agree with that and wish i did that from the start.

What faction are you playing as?
Followed the OP and went German for this war. But I have an American tanker and infantry combo too. I had fun the first few hours, so I tossed 30bux their way. Figure that's decent enough to get a couple of troops out the way and all. Not sure what the different levels of paid for soldiers mean, I went mid-tier for mine.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Thronde posted:

Followed the OP and went German for this war. But I have an American tanker and infantry combo too. I had fun the first few hours, so I tossed 30bux their way. Figure that's decent enough to get a couple of troops out the way and all. Not sure what the different levels of paid for soldiers mean, I went mid-tier for mine.

The higher the tier, the more credits you make in the game. Also, mid-tier gets you one command point to use on the war map. On phone or Id explain what that means.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Thronde posted:

OP doesn't tell you to go German. It also teaches you that "AT" means assault team instead of Anti-Tank like in everything else. paying for soldiers before you can learn maps or functions is terribly bad for the rest of our team. This is why every other heavy tank is a useless piece of wasted space. People didn't want to grind 'em out and now have no idea how to survive. Meanwhile Germany fields 4 heavy tanks because they can. And it's game over.

Field report:
I finally ground out US infantry soldier to become a pilot. The same stupidity that perpetuates US ranks, extends to their planes. Got rammed 3 times by 3 different friendly pilots first time out. It was easier to shoot them fuckers down and fight solo for the rest of the match.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 2, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Should have gone Russian tanker instead

Please god we will take anyone

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I have a russian tanker, it's kinda boring to be outnumbered every single time. Especially considering how terrible tank physics in this game are

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
Huh, I think I have a russian med tanker after I finished out the light line or some such. Sounds like I should play him agian.

AmiEsiM
Dec 6, 2013

light tanking is a pain unless you are American. loving BS Chaffee

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The german noob tank can destroy any light tank in 1 burst with it's AP canon. Like, I will shoot it with my AP round, and while I'm reloading, he'll turn around and kill me before I can get 2nd or 3rd shot in. Tanks just have a bar of health, realism can go gently caress itself. One of you fine people introduced me to War Thunder, and the tank physics are loving delightful. I can flank and 1-shot multiple medium tanks with a loving BT-5, knowing where the weak armor is.

Edit: could someone point out the goon war thunder thread? I'm all about teamwork.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 3, 2015

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

AmiEsiM posted:

light tanking is a pain unless you are American. loving BS Chaffee

More like loving bullshit PzII and that ridiculous machine gun cannon that penetrates every goddamn shot. :argh:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

Edit: could someone point out the goon war thunder thread? I'm all about teamwork.

As requested http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638861

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShMcmhpL86M

What's new (last 2 updates):

Trenches! Expect to see more of them added to existing maps
New map and game mode
Infantry only game mode
New soviet smg
Spawn protection that doesn't reward spawn campers
New interface... again.

I like the way this game is continues to improve. Some issues we've complained about earlier in the thread are actually fixed or being looked at.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Spawn camping with a tank is like 90% of what I do. I'll still probably do it even if I'm not getting rewarded for it but I'll certainly gripe about it.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nitrox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShMcmhpL86M

What's new (last 2 updates):

Trenches! Expect to see more of them added to existing maps
New map and game mode
Infantry only game mode
New soviet smg
Spawn protection that doesn't reward spawn campers
New interface... again.

I like the way this game is continues to improve. Some issues we've complained about earlier in the thread are actually fixed or being looked at.

Is this all implemented?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Is this all implemented?
No, it's coming up. next update I presume. The new game mode and map are available right now on super secret beta server here http://prototype.heroesandgenerals.com/ Chrome users pound sand, you need Firefox they said. I never bothered to try

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nitrox posted:

No, it's coming up. next update I presume. The new game mode and map are available right now on super secret beta server here http://prototype.heroesandgenerals.com/ Chrome users pound sand, you need Firefox they said. I never bothered to try

interesting.

I know people will like the infantry-only mode, but I find those can become massive stalemates. Using the other classes to push or hold a line better than the other side is usually where a game is decided. Burning through 350 infantry spawns is blah. I guess it depends on the map.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Gerbil_Pen posted:

interesting.

I know people will like the infantry-only mode, but I find those can become massive stalemates. Using the other classes to push or hold a line better than the other side is usually where a game is decided. Burning through 350 infantry spawns is blah. I guess it depends on the map.

This is the first infantry only map, it has trenches, 1 single cap point and you can see from one end to the other. Watch the video, they explain everything.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Trenches, huh.

I'm glad there will just be a wall of "eat poo poo, tanks" terrain then. Goodness knows rail tracks weren't enough to randomly get stuck on.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Gerbil_Pen posted:

interesting.

Gotta appeal to the Operation Metro type who can't handle any kind of combined arms fight.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Triple A posted:

Gotta appeal to the Operation Metro type who can't handle any kind of combined arms fight.

I mostly see the appeal of Russia vs Germany fights that don't involve Panzer IVs wrecking everything

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Matches with only mechanized infantry/motorized guard/motorized infantry/recons already happen sometimes and they're the best. Huge cluster gently caress fights between half tracks with jeeps and motorcycles flying around.

Germany's half track is so good though. Nearly impossible to hit the gunner or driver from range.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Great Beer posted:

Matches with only mechanized infantry/motorized guard/motorized infantry/recons already happen sometimes and they're the best. Huge cluster gently caress fights between half tracks with jeeps and motorcycles flying around.

Germany's half track is so good though. Nearly impossible to hit the gunner or driver from range.

Sure, it's better with recons.

All I want is them to fix the German para plane pathing for fucks sake.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Sure, it's better with recons.

All I want is them to fix the German para plane pathing for fucks sake.
What's wrong with it now? From my yak's cockpit position there is nothing wrong with the flight path. In fact, send more para planes.

Edit: that reminds me. I joined a battle once, where in the preparation countdown screen we had 6 out of 9 blue tag(pilot) soviet players and 8 out of 11 Germans were paratroopers. And the battle started, without any of them switching. 4 lonely infantry guys were duking it out on the ground, while the skies looked like a promo for Shark Week. Half of those para guys left the game outright within a few minutes.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 12, 2015

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011
I haven't played this since they added a cost to each bazooka shell

Is it still possible to make a build with two bazookas and car or motorcycle? I loved making people rage by driving up to them and blowing their tanks up in suicide rushes. Pretty much the most fun I had in this game

plz tell me I can still do this

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

That Jerk Steve posted:

I haven't played this since they added a cost to each bazooka shell

Is it still possible to make a build with two bazookas and car or motorcycle? I loved making people rage by driving up to them and blowing their tanks up in suicide rushes. Pretty much the most fun I had in this game

plz tell me I can still do this

What do you mean two bazookas? Like actually buying two of them and having them equipped at the same time? You can just load up on extra ammo, which takes up less inventory space. Then equip a badge that increases your explosives count or a badge that increases damage. Or both of you have a veterans badge. You can also have a panzerfaust box on your jeep, it's much much much cheaper to shoot than bazooka rounds.

The most cost efficient option is to spawn in a jeep, then pick up a faust at spawn. Drive behind a tank, jump out and fire that faust. Immediately grab and fire second panzerfaust from the jeep ammo box and switch to bazooka. That last bazooka shot should be enough to finish a light or medium tank. All that in less time that a tank's turret would make 180° turn and kill you. Enjoy not going broke.

Also, your tank rush does not have to be a suicide if the jeep still intact. Grab a new faust, and continue to the next tank.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Don't forget to carry some form of a follow up if the tanker gets out and tries to kill you.

AmiEsiM
Dec 6, 2013

as a bad german pilot, flying again Yaks is the most painfull experience possible.

Also, warning to german tankers, dont get drunk and buy panzer III for a "challenge" , you will regret your decision

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Ideally, you should have 1 pilot on each faction, so you can simply select nothing but pilots and join a match in under 60 seconds :D The planes fly (nearly) identically, the only thing different is the payload and MG sight. Messerschmidt sights are very unique and hard to adjust to quickly. But it recently got an unintentional buff when hitboxes got re-worked. It's much harder to hit a German pilot with HE rounds now. The APCR however, doesn't care.

There are legit good people driving heavy tanks on German side. One guy sat on hill above the airfield and shot down all our 8 planes in just a few minutes. I've never seen that before. It takes all 4 Yak bombs, it's entire payload, to kill a heavy tank. And not those pussy 2 meter away splash damage drops either, you have to hit the loving thing. Then German air force proceeded to fly unopposed and suicide into trees.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 18, 2015

AmiEsiM
Dec 6, 2013

Nitrox posted:

Ideally, you should have 1 pilot on each faction, so you can simply select nothing but pilots and join a match in under 60 seconds :D The planes fly (nearly) identically, the only thing different is the payload and MG sight. Messerschmidt sights are very unique and hard to adjust to quickly. But it recently got an unintentional buff when hitboxes got re-worked. It's much harder to hit a German pilot with HE rounds now. The APCR however, doesn't care.

There are legit good people driving heavy tanks on German side. One guy sat on hill above the airfield and shot down all our 8 planes in just a few minutes. I've never seen that before. It takes all 4 Yak bombs, it's entire payload, to kill a heavy tank. And not those pussy 2 meter away splash damage drops either, you have to hit the loving thing. Then German air force proceeded to fly unopposed and suicide into trees.

the tanker was my buddy Moroi, and i was the pilot suiciding into trees

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Waiting on new patch. The 25% reduction in wf from fighting Russians is the most moronic, lazy tactic ever. Was it not possible to give Russian ATs lower spawn costs and keep their WF value to enemies the same?

AmiEsiM
Dec 6, 2013

new interface is sleek and sexy

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Waiting on new patch. The 25% reduction in wf from fighting Russians is the most moronic, lazy tactic ever. Was it not possible to give Russian ATs lower spawn costs and keep their WF value to enemies the same?

It's not "from fighting Russians", it's simply applies to the faction that is less staffed. So everyone going Germany for easy warfunds can eat a pile of turds.

As of right now Germany is flat rate and sill has more players. But Allies and Soviets are nearly equal. Works as intended. See you in the war, comrades.

Edit: just refreshed and Soviet Union won the war. 19.2m spent by Soviet Union, 29.8m spent by Germany. There must be thousands of complain posts on official forums by now haha

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Nitrox posted:

It's not "from fighting Russians", it's simply applies to the faction that is less staffed. So everyone going Germany for easy warfunds can eat a pile of turds.

As of right now Germany is flat rate and sill has more players. But Allies and Soviets are nearly equal. Works as intended. See you in the war, comrades.

Edit: just refreshed and Soviet Union won the war. 19.2m spent by Soviet Union, 29.8m spent by Germany. There must be thousands of complain posts on official forums by now haha

Cue more wehraboo whales whining about the Panther and other white elephants not being included.

• Locked thread