Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Danger Mahoney posted:

Brogue is one of the first roguelikes I've ever enjoyed. I enjoyed all of it except the godawful hunger system. You know what usually kills a run for me? Not powerful enemies, or clever traps, or a cursed item. It's hunger. You start starving to death within ten minutes of starting and food is the scarcest item in the game. It's constantly ticking down and you literally have to skip entire levels of the game to make it to the end with the amount of average amount of food in the dungeon. That is part of the strategy of the game that people discuss.

The laziest challenge you could put in the design of a game. Garbage.

Hunger mechanics in roguelikes are there to drive players to explore deeper and not rest too long, since resources on a given level are finite- it adds a sort of timer to the whole game and forces players into lower levels, rather than allowing them to just sit there grinding rests and regen. Unfortunately, a lot of devs don't see that- they just go for the cargo cult thing where roguelikes have hunger and therefore roguelikes need hunger.

That's a general pisses-me-off sort of thing- when a game has a mechanic simply because it feels it 'needs' it rather than because it actually serves a useful gameplay purpose. The oil meter in Zelda: The Twilight Princess comes to mind.

PubicMice posted:

You can't eat corpses?

Unless there are infinite enemies, this won't save you.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Oct 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

The CGM is a lock on launcher but if you're good at blind firing, you're basically blind firing 5 rockets at once. :colbert:

I dunno, I find the CGM kinda bland and inaccurate and I'm pretty sure the individual rockets are far weaker than any other rocket (except maybe the honey bee).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SpookyLizard posted:

I dunno, I find the CGM kinda bland and inaccurate and I'm pretty sure the individual rockets are far weaker than any other rocket (except maybe the honey bee).

I used the Brennan at first but the slow fire got me killed by tanks. In the end I resorted to using a glitched rocket launcher with 255 rockets because I was tired of that poo poo. It still wasn't great because those tanks are aimbots. Now I have to replay it and I can't even use airstrikes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The new Dragon Quest Dynasty Warriors game is pretty cool but menu navigation is incredibly slow (think 10 seconds to refill one of your nine healing potions) and horrible "British" voices come out of your controller while you do so.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Define " "British" ". All of a sudden I'm worried for DQ8's 3DS remake :ohdear:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AlphaKretin posted:

Define " "British" ". All of a sudden I'm worried for DQ8's 3DS remake :ohdear:

Super overdone cor blimey wot accents. That said I've never played another DQ game with much voice acting so for all I know it sounds just like DQ8.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Super overdone cor blimey wot accents. That said I've never played another DQ game with much voice acting so for all I know it sounds just like DQ8.

That's about how they did it in 8, guv.

Speaking of dragging down DQ games, the fact that 7, 8 DQM and DQM2 on the 3DS aren't in english yet really breaks my heart. The DQMJoker series was such a disappointment.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

That's about how they did it in 8, guv.

Speaking of dragging down DQ games, the fact that 7, 8 DQM and DQM2 on the 3DS aren't in english yet really breaks my heart. The DQMJoker series was such a disappointment.

With Joker didn't they port of the base editions but leave the enhanced editions that were actually worth playing in Japan?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

With Joker didn't they port of the base editions but leave the enhanced editions that were actually worth playing in Japan?

I don't remember. What I do remember is that they made pretty much any of the cool monsters only obtainable if you did well in the online battles. Which was borderline impossible because from day one it was full of people using action replay. Know what was awesome? Being pitted against people with slimes that had 9999 in all stats ensuring you could never get the lovely trophy monsters you needed to breed the monsters you actually wanted.

I wasn't a fan of the changes Joker made to the whole fusion/breeding system too.
EDIT: It also had a way heavier focus on plot.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I actually just restarted Joker yesterday after having not played it since launch and HOO boy is the difficulty curve loving miserable without grinding. The first move of the first boss fight was the boss making a critical hit against my healer, killing him instantly, and I hadn't saved in long enough to make restarting worth it. It ended with only one of my monsters alive, that monster jumping up six levels at once, and then me turning off the game about half an hour later after realizing I'd have to spend way too loving long grinding up the rest of my team to that one's level so that things would stop two-shotting everyone but him. I knew I had more tolerance for the JRPG grind in high school, but holy moly. It doesn't help that the combat animations, menu speed, and load in and out of battles are all sooooo slooooow.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Heavy Lobster posted:

It doesn't help that the combat animations, menu speed, and load in and out of battles are all sooooo slooooow.

Joker was just bad. DQM has its fair share of grinding sure, but it wasn't as bad as that. One thing that genuinely annoys me about the Square/Enix partnership is that they've been turning DQ into FF. Maybe I'm a retard who likes nostalgia. But I don't like the combat animations. Have you played DQIX? Battles take three times as long as they should because of the slow rear end animations, then you have to slowly pan around the battlefield and then you have to take like five seconds a piece to tell you if you gained any HP or MP back or got hurt by poison. It doesn't help that the game is ridiculously easy, I managed to beat it without grinding at all, without even dying once. I just blitzed through it but then they pile on an endlessly grindy post-game. Square is dragging down one of my favorite JRPG franchises. And yes I am just letting my biases place the blame solely on square.

Just to be positive for a second, I'm genuinely enjoying the mobile Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light. It's far from perfect but I'm having fun with it, trying to raise the perfect slime.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Nuebot posted:

Joker was just bad. DQM has its fair share of grinding sure, but it wasn't as bad as that. One thing that genuinely annoys me about the Square/Enix partnership is that they've been turning DQ into FF. Maybe I'm a retard who likes nostalgia. But I don't like the combat animations. Have you played DQIX? Battles take three times as long as they should because of the slow rear end animations, then you have to slowly pan around the battlefield and then you have to take like five seconds a piece to tell you if you gained any HP or MP back or got hurt by poison. It doesn't help that the game is ridiculously easy, I managed to beat it without grinding at all, without even dying once. I just blitzed through it but then they pile on an endlessly grindy post-game. Square is dragging down one of my favorite JRPG franchises. And yes I am just letting my biases place the blame solely on square.

Just to be positive for a second, I'm genuinely enjoying the mobile Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light. It's far from perfect but I'm having fun with it, trying to raise the perfect slime.

It's funny, I could actually put up with DQ9's slowness because I really liked seeing my characters actually wear all the armor I bought for them. My favorite DQ for the longest time was 3, and 9 really felt like 3-2, so it was great for a while, but what honestly killed my interest in it is that the framerate when doing basic poo poo like moving around town was probably a steady 15 at best, which is A) completely unacceptable, and B) a great way to give me an eye-strain headache if I played for more than a half hour at a time. I'd love if DQ9 got a remaster, but that's years away at this point.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jastiger posted:

Tiggum is wrong to not understand how Dragonrend works. Like....its in the description.
At no point have I ever said that I don't understand what dragonrend does. I get it. It makes dragons land. It just seems pointless. I'd killed tons of dragons before getting it, and it gets talked up by the characters in the game as being this ultimate anti-dragon weapon, but its effect turns out to be underwhelming at best.

My main problem was that fighting the big evil dragon was tedious. Aardwolf and Jobbo_Fett say it must have been because I was doing something wrong, but haven't actually said what it was I should have been doing.

aardwolf posted:

It was "tedious and took too long" because you made a conscious decision to ignore the video game actively teaching you how to defeat the end boss.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Have you tried paying attention to the game? Or clicking the left mouse button at any point?

So what is it I'm missing here?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The majority of the weapons skills and builds in the game, including those used by the characters who invented dragon rend, are focussed on melee and can't hit a flying dragon.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I think the easiest and therefore less tedious way of defeating Alduin is to use dragonrend, make him land, then go in melee weapons swinging. Trying to fight a flying dragon with arrows or magic is tedious by way of having to be good a judging where the dragon will be and where your missile of choice will be, then doing it a lot of times until you win. If you make him land, and can get all up in his face with an axe, you don't have to worry about accuracy, every click is almost gauranteed damage on the sucker.

I think this is what you were doing "wrong". The game explains to you that dragon rend makes a dragon land. Most other players, upon reading that, used their head thinker noodle and figured out that a landed dragon is very susceptable to an axe to the face. Upgraded and skilled melee weapons make extremely short work of dragons.

The result is everyone else seems to have gone "Dragonrend makes dragons land, so I can then easily use my powerful melee weapons to kill them swiftly" while you seem to have thought "Dragonrend makes dragons land, but my piddly bow and useless magic do nothing to them when they're in the air or on the ground, so what's the point?"

princecoo has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Oct 18, 2015

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Yeah, but, as mentioned earlier, if a character is not specced for melee combat, then that's a bad bad idea, which kind of leads me to my overall problem dragging down Bethsoft's games.

All of Bethsoft's games since Oblivion on have had very limited replay value for me, because somewhere along the way, someone decided that any character type can do any quest. The woman with no magical skills can become Archmage with her trusty warhammer. The guy who can't effectively wield anything heavier than a butter knife, and can take about two good hits before dying can become the strongest fighter in the realm. All content is designed such that all player characters, regardless of build, can complete it, and this kind of means that builds become irrelevant (or, in the case of Fallout 3, some builds literally cannot complete the game). This encourages a "play it however, we don't care" playstyle, but it kind of limits replayability for people who can't stick to an alternative character concept. Skyrim also feels like it almost expects people to be using a jack-of-all-trades build at times, which is even worse. I tried to play a non-magic shieldmaiden character in Skyrim, but eventually I found myself with a bunch of spells I would use on a semi-regular basis, but with no way to get rid of them (and a lot of them were forced into my inventory from the beginning of the game or from quest rewards).

I saw someone on another message board complain that he didn't like Fallout: New Vegas because choosing one of the factions made him fail a bunch of quests he had never even known about. I know that's an extreme case, but I don't like the trend Bethsoft is setting for open-world ARPGs. I'm willing to give them one more shot with Fallout 4, because they feel like they've been downplaying the combat outside of the trailers (and also because I really like the Fallout setting).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inco posted:

I'm willing to give them one more shot with Fallout 4, because they feel like they've been downplaying the combat outside of the trailers (and also because I really like the Fallout setting).

What trailers have you been watching? Pretty much all I've seen of FO4 is "look at our kickass shooting now, look at this god damned death claw it's gonna get you! Now you're ironman! Yeeaaahhh!" it's been pretty heavy on the guns and power armor.

Anyway, more in tune with fallout 3, what really bugged me was that the karma meant pretty much nothing. You could blow up a whole town and murder everyone and dad would just tell you how disappointed he was in you, and you'd be forced by the plot to Do the Right Thing because it's Your Destiny.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

How did he reconcile with the ending? :psyduck: Boo hoo going to the dam with NCR means you can't go to the dam with Caesar, no loving poo poo!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bethesda's biggest problem is that they over-emphasize combat in their open worlds. Both Fallout 3 and Skyrim seemed to be designed with the mindset that if you didn't fight trash-mobs at least every 2 minutes while traveling around the world then the game had failed. That and the procedurally generated monster dungeons, I sincerely hope that those are gone in Fallout 4.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Inco posted:

Yeah, but, as mentioned earlier, if a character is not specced for melee combat, then that's a bad bad idea, which kind of leads me to my overall problem dragging down Bethsoft's games.

All of Bethsoft's games since Oblivion on have had very limited replay value for me, because somewhere along the way, someone decided that any character type can do any quest. The woman with no magical skills can become Archmage with her trusty warhammer. The guy who can't effectively wield anything heavier than a butter knife, and can take about two good hits before dying can become the strongest fighter in the realm. All content is designed such that all player characters, regardless of build, can complete it, and this kind of means that builds become irrelevant (or, in the case of Fallout 3, some builds literally cannot complete the game). This encourages a "play it however, we don't care" playstyle, but it kind of limits replayability for people who can't stick to an alternative character concept. Skyrim also feels like it almost expects people to be using a jack-of-all-trades build at times, which is even worse. I tried to play a non-magic shieldmaiden character in Skyrim, but eventually I found myself with a bunch of spells I would use on a semi-regular basis, but with no way to get rid of them (and a lot of them were forced into my inventory from the beginning of the game or from quest rewards).

I saw someone on another message board complain that he didn't like Fallout: New Vegas because choosing one of the factions made him fail a bunch of quests he had never even known about. I know that's an extreme case, but I don't like the trend Bethsoft is setting for open-world ARPGs. I'm willing to give them one more shot with Fallout 4, because they feel like they've been downplaying the combat outside of the trailers (and also because I really like the Fallout setting).

I kind of understand Bethesda's reasoning for this behavior though. They have begun to intentionally make their games as accessible and appealing to the widest demographic possible, which makes financial sense. But they also go out of their way to give modders the keys to the kingdom and let them go hog wild with the engine however they drat well please. This enables people who want to play the games a certain way to almost certainly be able to.

My personal version of Skyrim does what you're asking, placing a larger emphasis on character builds. And while I haven't found a mod that actually physically locks out content based on builds, I do have several mods that tweak questlines and difficulty to make it so it's highly unlikely a hammer-wielding Conan wannabe is going to be able to become an Archmage and other similar scenarios. My version even plays more like a roguelike, with emphasis on survival management and ridiculous difficulty.

That's the beauty of Bethesda games in my opinion. People who just want to play an open world RPG can get the console version or just ignore the modding community. But if you're so inclined you can play it on PC and basically break the game over your knee and turn it into just about anything you want. Bethesda just gives you a framework and the option to go nuts.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The dungeons aren't bad. The lack of theming and enemies made them suck. If i stumble upon a crypt on this far away mountain it shouldn't be generic. It should have a cool theme or puzzle. Certainly new enemies.

Also level scaling is mostly garbage. I can see certain encounters being scaled, but it should definitely matter if you're in an area a you shouldn't be in

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Also level scaling is mostly garbage. I can see certain encounters being scaled, but it should definitely matter if you're in an area a you shouldn't be in

What, if not the enemies, makes an area one that you shouldn't be in?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

The Moon Monster posted:

As a British person, the accents sound genuine to me, or at least its not voiced by Americans pretending to be British. :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Judge Tesla posted:

As a British person, the accents sound genuine to me, or at least its not voiced by Americans pretending to be British. :v:

They probably are, DQ8 at least was voiced and localised by a British studio.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Lizard Wizard posted:

In a decent, well-designed single-player experience, there can be shittons of things that keep you out of an area. Movement skills or flag-keys you don't have yet, damage zones that you can't resist but are clearly meant to be resisted, or paths that have not revealed themselves yet. Big strong enemies wandering around which are visually distinct and clearly more powerful than the strongest thing you've yet fought is also okay- because you don't need to do the spreadsheet fandango to know that you shouldn't engage just yet and probably should just gently caress off. Allowing a player into an area that will numerically kill them dead due to enemies that are numerically more powerful but aren't significantly visually or behaviourally different from the surrounding area is bad design.

Like, I'm okay with areas being too strong, but it should be really, really obvious without me needing to take a hit and see half my health bar disappear from a non-super attack. Giants in Skyrim are still one of the best examples of this- they're huge, ponderous, clearly stupid-strong monsters. Their feet shake the earth as they move. And you are insignificant to them, to the point where they will just let you pass unless you deliberately piss them off. You know, on seeing them, at an instinctive level, that these guys are not to be taken lightly. That is brilliant and the giants are still some of my favourite encounters in that game. The fact that they are literally just there for combat encounters (apart from one guy who is part of a quest, I think) is one of the things that really pisses me off about Skyrim.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

They probably are, DQ8 at least was voiced and localised by a British studio.

as proven time and time again, any time people complain about fake sounding accents in video games, it was actually done by native speakers

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm reminded of people saying "These accents on civilians in Just Cause 2 are so silly and unrealistic/racist!" when actually they were pretty close to Southeast Asian accents.
Except for Bolo Santosi, who is done by an English voice actress doing a very exaggerated Singaporean accent.

Thing bringing down Until Dawn (although I can understand why):
Once you beat the game, you can jump around between chapters to see alternate things that can happen, and see a different ending. But you can't jump straight from one chapter to another. So if you pick chapter 3, then jump to chapter 5, it won't use any of your new chapter 3 changes - it'll be the same chapter 5 as your original playthrough.
So if you're trying for different endings and outcomes, the 'Chapter Select' basically means 'start a new game, but all my choices are the same as the last playthrough up to this point'.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

bewilderment posted:

Thing bringing down Until Dawn (although I can understand why):
Once you beat the game, you can jump around between chapters to see alternate things that can happen, and see a different ending. But you can't jump straight from one chapter to another. So if you pick chapter 3, then jump to chapter 5, it won't use any of your new chapter 3 changes - it'll be the same chapter 5 as your original playthrough.
So if you're trying for different endings and outcomes, the 'Chapter Select' basically means 'start a new game, but all my choices are the same as the last playthrough up to this point'.

A good idea for Visual Novel style games, with multiple paths and outcomes, would be the option to go back to a finished chapter and be able to skip ahead puzzles and scenes the player has already witnessed, or be able to re-do a choice for a different outcome. Was it Zero Escape 2 that did something like this? Wario Land 2, of all games, had a structure like this:

At the beginning of the game Wario is in bed. If you choose not to wake him up you unlock that right fork at the beginning and fight the (first) final boss very early on.

The flash-game no one has to die has the same idea:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/stustuthebloo/no-one-has-to-die

VVVVVVV edit: I got the hidden-path five minutes in. You literally have to do nothing.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 12:18 on Oct 18, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

At the beginning of the game Wario is in bed. If you choose not to wake him up you unlock that right fork at the beginning and fight the (first) final boss very early on.

IIRC you can only get that ending after you beat the game once another way. At least I've never gotten it to trigger my first playthrough.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have been playing Kingdom Hearts Final Mix on Proud mode on and off the past while. The Gummi Ships are the dumbest and most uninteresting thing and I have no idea why they kept them through the whole series. Also not having warp from the start and then having to fly back to Traverse Town to buy potions is mind bogglingly bad design.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
This game is really bland and lovely but can be modded is not a valid defense. Skyrim makes all of its content available to every character, regardless of anything. Which is pretty lovely design in a roleplaying game. Especially when you never really have to vary your design beyond "i hit with my axe" because that solves like every problem. Until you fight the boss enemy who has 10x as much health, for no reason whatsoever, just so you can get hosed.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Somfin posted:

In a decent, well-designed single-player experience, there can be shittons of things that keep you out of an area. Movement skills or flag-keys you don't have yet, damage zones that you can't resist but are clearly meant to be resisted, or paths that have not revealed themselves yet.

Those sure sound like things that have no place in an open-world game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

I have been playing Kingdom Hearts Final Mix on Proud mode on and off the past while. The Gummi Ships are the dumbest and most uninteresting thing and I have no idea why they kept them through the whole series. Also not having warp from the start and then having to fly back to Traverse Town to buy potions is mind bogglingly bad design.

I always liked the gummi ships :shrug: but I can totally see how they'd annoy people who didn't like them. One of the easiest ways to deal with it is just to make a giant fuckoff block and take a dump or something while your ship just powers through everything.

My kingdom hearts contribution is Final Mix. See, the original game released in Japan with no bonus bosses at all. When the game hit the international market they added in some bonus content, which obviously the Japanese market wanted. So cue the trend of Final Mix/international editions of the games where they added in the international content plus some new stuff! Except then they never re-released it in English until recently. Some of the bonus content was really fun too, hard bosses that foreshadowed future games.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Those sure sound like things that have no place in an open-world game.

grand theft auto used to block areas by lifting up bridges. you had to cheat to get to those areas before the story allowed it. assassin's creed blocked off areas bc the "genetic memories" of the ancestor couldn't be accessed at that point. mgsv doesn't let you go to africa until you reach pitch dark.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I always liked the gummi ships :shrug: but I can totally see how they'd annoy people who didn't like them. One of the easiest ways to deal with it is just to make a giant fuckoff block and take a dump or something while your ship just powers through everything.

My kingdom hearts contribution is Final Mix. See, the original game released in Japan with no bonus bosses at all. When the game hit the international market they added in some bonus content, which obviously the Japanese market wanted. So cue the trend of Final Mix/international editions of the games where they added in the international content plus some new stuff! Except then they never re-released it in English until recently. Some of the bonus content was really fun too, hard bosses that foreshadowed future games.

It isn't difficult at all it is just long and pointless. At the start the only place you can buy potions ins Traverse Town. That means you have to do the Gummi run a minimum of twice if you want to stock up. 4 times if you are at Deep Jungle. That is disabled.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

It isn't difficult at all it is just long and pointless. At the start the only place you can buy potions ins Traverse Town. That means you have to do the Gummi run a minimum of twice if you want to stock up. 4 times if you are at Deep Jungle. That is disabled.

There's that, too. I'll be honest and completely unhelpful, I've never had issues with potions in the first kingdom hearts. Abilities that give you invincibility frames in that game are ridiculously abusable. Strike Raid all day.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I think Skyrim (and games like it) should not necisarily lock out content for certain quests, but rather make them more involved. It makes no sense if my axe and shield carrying barbarian can just walk up and become Archmage of a Guild of wizards simply by doing a few fetch quests. It would be better if my strong he-man could only get so far in that quests storyline until he actually, you know, became proficient at some magic. Make some puzzles dependant on performing magic of some kind on them, at a certain level of skill.

Make the Thieves Guild refuse you jobs because you're not adept enough. Add certain objectives in the questlines that will give you an immediate and permanent buff to the relevent skill, so that by the time you reach the conclusion and become their leader, you actually are worthy of the title.

I feel like Oblivions skill increases (increase skill by using said skill) probably lends itself better to this method. But to get it all ironed out and implemented would be a bitch in development I guess.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm saying enemies SHOULD do that, as the other poster mentioned. You shouldn't wander into an area that is the Headquarters of Major Evil Faction and be able to go toe to toe because of level scaling. This is the HQ, you're gonna get rocked unless you're high level. Same with a lot of other involved quests and stuff like that. Enemies shouldn't' scale, things should just stay where they are. I think Fallout 4 is going to do this where things scale in a certain range, so if instead of having the area enemies scale down to your level 5, it'll go from level 15 to 13, and no lower.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

princecoo posted:

I think Skyrim (and games like it) should not necisarily lock out content for certain quests, but rather make them more involved. It makes no sense if my axe and shield carrying barbarian can just walk up and become Archmage of a Guild of wizards simply by doing a few fetch quests. It would be better if my strong he-man could only get so far in that quests storyline until he actually, you know, became proficient at some magic. Make some puzzles dependant on performing magic of some kind on them, at a certain level of skill.

Make the Thieves Guild refuse you jobs because you're not adept enough. Add certain objectives in the questlines that will give you an immediate and permanent buff to the relevent skill, so that by the time you reach the conclusion and become their leader, you actually are worthy of the title.

I feel like Oblivions skill increases (increase skill by using said skill) probably lends itself better to this method. But to get it all ironed out and implemented would be a bitch in development I guess.
This is what Morrowind did to you if you weren't at x skill points for the relevant skills to the guild.
To rank up you had to have 1 relevant skill at a certain level then 2 other relevant skills at a lower threshold. As long as the skill was high enough to make the check at the time you were all cool, so you could buff your stats with a potion if you really wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nuebot posted:

There's that, too. I'll be honest and completely unhelpful, I've never had issues with potions in the first kingdom hearts. Abilities that give you invincibility frames in that game are ridiculously abusable. Strike Raid all day.

You would be normally correct but on Final Mixes hard mode even base enemies will kill you in 2 or at most 3 his. Bosses or mini-bosses e.g. Sabor will kill you in 2 meaning you heal much more than normal. Leaf Bracer, the ability that makes you invincible while healing, is a way aways. I don't mind damage sponge enemies or Sora being an eggshell but how painful it is to buy potions is silly.